Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 17497 Old 10-19-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrPainMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

no prob. being able to get the RS meter/Avia bundle in addition to the sub is even more of a resason to go for the PB10. subs are not plug-and-play devices, and calibration is essential to get it performing its best.

In addition to the sub being properly setup, the rest of the system also. Which will be nice.

Hopefully I will be content.

super dirty , super clean , pow
DrPainMD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 17497 Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
WolfsBane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

In addition to the sub being properly setup, the rest of the system also. Which will be nice.

Hopefully I will be content.


This is, IMO, extremely important. I usually am pretty good at picking up the slightest nuance in sound and music. I couldn't beleive how far off I was on my attempt to calibrate my HT system by ear alone. The AVIA disk and the SPL meter made a huge difference. Also a fantastic tool to set up your sub to sound linear and to blend well with your speakers.

Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz !
WolfsBane is offline  
post #213 of 17497 Old 10-20-2006, 08:47 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kipp Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottaDowns View Post

Hope your happy with the PB10. The new PB12 plus/NSD is amazing. IM in the process of final wiring into the SBS 5.1 system as we speak. First rough impressions. AMAZING!!! Kipp I will call you today or Sunday for the Demo. Most likely Sunday.

So I go over for the demo and it literly blew me away. Scott was grilling some steaks on his Weber in the back yard. We go in and he runs some music first. The whole 5.1 system worked together flawlessly. Next some X-Men, holy crap, the room was really moving. Talk about bang for the buck!!!

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Kipp Jones is offline  
post #214 of 17497 Old 10-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
antman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY Long Island
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would just like to say I have Joined the SVS family today & ordered a SB12 Plus
Cant wait to get it~
antman27 is offline  
post #215 of 17497 Old 10-21-2006, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are they shipping them yet?
Nick250 is offline  
post #216 of 17497 Old 10-21-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
They are certainly shipping them and my pair just arrived yesterday. They are really cute, small, well constructed, and sound amazing with music. Tight, clean sounding, and reasonably powerful. While I've never done a comparison, It would not be that surprising if the SB12 Plus turn out to be SVS's best sub with music. They are also decent with HT, but I wouldn't consider that to be their forte.

I'm running them as a stereo pair combined with Onix Rocket RS850's and I'm continuing to use my old custom large ported Behringer powered box for the LFE channel.
mojomike is offline  
post #217 of 17497 Old 10-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
antman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY Long Island
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Hope its as good as my Paradigm PDR 8 for HT OR BETTER
antman27 is offline  
post #218 of 17497 Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
They have the new 12 "Plus" driver and 425 rms so they should be able to do a respectable job with HT, but they aren't likely to go to the depths with the output of their larger brothers.

I will do some testing using just the SB's with some HT material just to see what they can do.
mojomike is offline  
post #219 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Newbie
 
cudwortho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got my SVS PB10-NSD Sub and removed my old 15" Audiosource Sub. I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't.

I've tried everything, switching cables, all speakers are set to small, crossover is 80, sub is on, no auto eq or DRC or anything like that is on. The audiosource sub was doing fine, so I decided to hook it back up and again the audiosource gain was almost at half and sounded much better then the svs.

The svs even turned all the way up doesn't do much, is there bass? Yes, but the bass isn't strong at all. If the audiosource sub is doing fine when I switch them out does that mean its definately the amp on the svs? or maybe something got bumped in shipping?

I'm using a new pioneer 1016 receiver with athena speakers. I've read a few people here experiencing the same problem, but changing the cable doesn't help & all my settings are correct because the audiosource sub is only turned up half way and sounds good. I've been using the pioneer receiver with that sub for about a month now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone experienced this problem while using the pioneer 1016 receiver? Any comments would be appreciated.
cudwortho is offline  
post #220 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
armystud0911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 4,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog314159 View Post

Thanks Ron,

I purchased the Avia disc and SPL meter as well so I can get the best out of it. One of the folks I work with says that it's a waste of time but he also said that his Infinity HPS-1000 will blow any SVS out of the water. Time will tell I suppose.


Surprisingly, the HPS-1000 can go deep and put some very decent output levels, its a beast of its own, 116lbs, a 1000watt amp, 18Hz extension and a 15" driver make it about the best sub infinity has ever made, but saying it will "blow any SVS out of the water" has to be the funniest thing I have heard in a while.
armystud0911 is offline  
post #221 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DreamCatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudwortho View Post

I just got my SVS PB10-NSD Sub and removed my old 15" Audiosource Sub. I was expecting to be blown away and wasn't.

I've tried everything, switching cables, all speakers are set to small, crossover is 80, sub is on, no auto eq or DRC or anything like that is on. The audiosource sub was doing fine, so I decided to hook it back up and again the audiosource gain was almost at half and sounded much better then the svs.

The svs even turned all the way up doesn't do much, is there bass? Yes, but the bass isn't strong at all. If the audiosource sub is doing fine when I switch them out does that mean its definately the amp on the svs? or maybe something got bumped in shipping?

I'm using a new pioneer 1016 receiver with athena speakers. I've read a few people here experiencing the same problem, but changing the cable doesn't help & all my settings are correct because the audiosource sub is only turned up half way and sounds good. I've been using the pioneer receiver with that sub for about a month now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone experienced this problem while using the pioneer 1016 receiver? Any comments would be appreciated.

Are you using anything (spl meter, etc) to calibrate speaker levels?

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
DreamCatcher is offline  
post #222 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
anonymouse99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would improper phase alignment cause any of this ? Check this thread.
anonymouse99 is offline  
post #223 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nick250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Email SVS. By all reports they will stand on their head to keep the customer happy. There is also a possibility the sub is defective.

Nick
Nick250 is offline  
post #224 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member
 
Nick250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

I Hope its as good as my Paradigm PDR 8 for HT OR BETTER

Well, lets be realistic. Bettering the PDR 8 is setting the bar pretty high
Nick250 is offline  
post #225 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Frst thing, you should not expect a 10" sub to put out more SPL than a 15" sub (assuming the AS is the SW-15) unless the 15" is way under powered or is an older, low excursion driver.

The fact you have to turn the gain up on either sub to the levels you mentioned makes me believe you have the attenuation for the LFE channel set wrong on the AVR. I have heard this complaint before and placement made a world of difference. But to have the PB10 set to max (something you should never have to do, 1/4 should be plenty), tells me there is something wrong with the source or the sub had some type of damage in shipping. Remove the grill and see how much the driver is moving. Then turn the sub gain way down and set the LFE channel on the AVR to 0db. Play something and start to increase the sub gain. If you have test tones in the AVR, try them as well. If you still get nothing and the driver doesn't move a lot, then contact SVS.

Randy
ransac is online now  
post #226 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
billybob_jcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Just past the Oediv-Oidua nebula
Posts: 2,537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I run the sub about 3-4 dB hot for movies and in the whale song scenes in Finding Nemo my PB10 can rattle the dishes in the kitchen 30 feet away. I have the sub gain set to about 30%. Something is very wrong in your system or your sub - I would email SVS.

If you think this post was dumb, you really should read my blog=> http://bumpedhishead.blogspot.com/
billybob_jcv is offline  
post #227 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
cudwortho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not using a meter to adjust anything, but I will be buying one from radio shack in the very near future and use it with my avia dvd.

I checked the settings again on my receiver:

All speakers are set to Small.
Sub is On.
Crossover is 80.
LFE ATT is 0dB.

I've tried 3 cables:

1st was the acoustic research
2nd was normal RCA cable that came with my dish receiver
3rd was a new cable from Wal-Mart an A/V mono cable

I kept the receiver set at 0 for the sub and nothing much happens, I have to turn the gain on the sub all the way up and then it starts hitting, doesn't hit hard but still works. When I set the receivers sub on say +8 - +10 then some good bass is heard, but thats with the receivers mode set up real high and the gain is set to max.

I've tried adjusting the phase and that seems to do nothing.

ransac - I tried doing just what you told me to try and with everything set at 0 with test tones on, the sub barely moves at the half way marker. At max the sub moves well, but again thats at max.
cudwortho is offline  
post #228 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member
 
antman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY Long Island
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So Nick250 are you saying the SB12 + will not be as good as the PDR8
I am a bit slow today
I think you told me a few times to throw the pdr8 out a window
I actuly got like $150 for it not bad for trash
antman27 is offline  
post #229 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudwortho View Post

I am not using a meter to adjust anything, but I will be buying one from radio shack in the very near future and use it with my avia dvd.

I checked the settings again on my receiver:

All speakers are set to Small.
Sub is On.
Crossover is 80.
LFE ATT is 0dB.

I've tried 3 cables:

1st was the acoustic research
2nd was normal RCA cable that came with my dish receiver
3rd was a new cable from Wal-Mart an A/V mono cable

I kept the receiver set at 0 for the sub and nothing much happens, I have to turn the gain on the sub all the way up and then it starts hitting, doesn't hit hard but still works. When I set the receivers sub on say +8 - +10 then some good bass is heard, but thats with the receivers mode set up real high and the gain is set to max.

I've tried adjusting the phase and that seems to do nothing.

ransac - I tried doing just what you told me to try and with everything set at 0 with test tones on, the sub barely moves at the half way marker. At max the sub moves well, but again thats at max.

The only other thing I can suggest before contacting SVS is to try it with a friends AVR. You could engage SVS now and they will work with you, but if you can eliminate your AVR, the easier it is to troubleshoot. If you engage SVS tech support now, they will probably send you a replacement amp and driver. That is what they did with me when I told them I had no problem swapping out components. It is easier than sending the sub back for repair. They will send shipping labels and ask you to return the replaced parts. They will want to debug them. Replacing the amp and/or the driver is not very difficult and it would allow you to get a gander at the guts of the sub.

Randy
ransac is online now  
post #230 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

That is what they did with me when I told them I had no problem swapping out components. It is easier than sending the sub back for repair. They will send shipping labels and ask you to return the replaced parts. They will want to debug them. Replacing the amp and/or the driver is not very difficult and it would allow you to get a gander at the guts of the sub.

Hmmmm, so that's what they do with the defective parts, they debug them ... fascinating. And I thought they just threw them away.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #231 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
INTRUDER ALERT. RMK is a Velo owner but has breached the sanctity of the SVS owners thread.

Some of these people from Sacramento just don't understand boundaries. Damn flat landers.

RMK, no they don't throw defective parts away. They sell them to Velodyne at a reduced price.

Randy
ransac is online now  
post #232 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

So Nick250 are you saying the SB12 + will not be as good as the PDR8
I am a bit slow today
I think you told me a few times to throw the pdr8 out a window
I actuly got like $150 for it not bad for trash

Yes, I was joking since we posted about the pdr 8 before. $150? Wow. I may not toss mine out the second floor window after all.

Nick
Nick250 is offline  
post #233 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nick250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[EDIT] Post deleted.
Nick250 is offline  
post #234 of 17497 Old 10-22-2006, 07:45 PM
Señor Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

INTRUDER ALERT. RMK is a Velo owner but has breached the sanctity of the SVS owners thread.

Some of these people from Sacramento just don't understand boundaries. Damn flat landers.

RMK, no they don't throw defective parts away. They sell them to Velodyne at a reduced price.


Once exposed, RMK slinks back to the safe haven of the Velo Support Thread.

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #235 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
antman27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NY Long Island
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my tracking # for my SB12 Plus
antman27 is offline  
post #236 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DrPainMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antman27 View Post

Just got my tracking # for my SB12 Plus

Can I have it... so I can intercept it arrgg der be treasure in the brown van

super dirty , super clean , pow
DrPainMD is offline  
post #237 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
F355FTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My B model SVS 20 39 pc plus 12.3 made a loud pop noise twice.

I just hooked up my new system with my first sub. I have a pioneer 1016 that i used the auto set up on to adjust all my speakers. Anyways i didnt change a setting from what the receiver did. It sounded decent so throw in my movie and it has a trailer to the movie Underworld on it. My gain on my sub is set to about 1/3 or the 8 oclock position. During the trailer there is some pretty good low base. And i hear a loud sharp pop noise twice. I am assuming it came from my sub. Since the rest of my speakers have never poped before in the last 10 years. They are all Acustic Research 312 ho's and AR4's

It didnt sound like the sub was distorting or anything. I was under the impression that a sub would just get very distorted at the limits. Why would it pop? And i dont think it was being pushed very hard. My gain is way down. I guess i am a little leary since i bought a B model from SVS maybe the prior owner beat the hell out of it before sending it back? But if the sub was blown wouldnt it sound liek crap all the time?
F355FTS is offline  
post #238 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
Kipp Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 11,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Loose sub cable???

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
Kipp Jones is offline  
post #239 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ransac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 4,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
F355FTS, make sure your Subsonic filter setting matches the port tunning. No port plugs = 20Hz, 1 port plug = 16Hz, and 2 port plugs = 12Hz. If not set properly you can bottom the driver.

Randy
ransac is online now  
post #240 of 17497 Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
F355FTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes i was very careful of that, i have it set to 16 and one plug. SVS had a warning tag right on the subsonic filter knob.

Any ideas? I guess it might have been audio from the trailer but it didnt seem like it. Maybe i should rewatch it with the sub turned off and do a little experimenting.
F355FTS is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Speaker Systems , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off