Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 805 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3093Likes

post #24121 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Where are you located?
Malaysia.

The shipping cost and tax is what jacks the hell up on the price, not including the profit from the distributors here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24122 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Malaysia.

The shipping cost and tax is what jacks the hell up on the price, not including the profit from the distributors here.

Oh yes I know what you talking about. It is same in Europe but probably not that bad as there but still. I can send it from US to Europe really cheap.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's (soon for sale (maybe) :-)
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200 , Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #24123 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I received my SB-2000 from the Memorial Day Outlet sale yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised how fast it shipped and how exceptionally well packaged it was, kudos to SVS for that.

I hooked it up last night as part of a complete system upgrade. Went from a Definitive Technology ProCinema 600 5.1 system to their 8040ST towers as front L/R and surround L/R, CS8040HD center, and SR8040HD rear surrounds. Also upgraded my AVR from a Pioneer VSX-42 to a Denon X2200W. As I said in the Def Tech owner's thread, if I never see another banana plug again it will be too soon :-)

After running Audyssey Multeq XT and then making some adjustments to trim levels and crossovers, I'm blown away by the performance of this sub. I watched War of the Worlds on Blu-Ray, and the clarity and depth of the bass when the machines make "that noise" was simply stunning to me. Rather than the (muddy?) general "noise" from the old sub, I could hear and feel every minute detail. Explosions are visceral without a trace of distortion. I had no idea what I was missing! Now I can't wait to give it a workout with Dark Knight this evening.

Thanks SVS for the fantastic customer service, and for making such a great product at an affordable price.
mthomas47, TKNice and tommaazz like this.
post #24124 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I own a PB12 NSD, and juz got the itch to add more as I felt something is lacking like chest thump.. ideally sb12nd comes to mind as ideal pair.. But on my initial demo, I was not satisfied the pairing... So SB2000? ( no demo can be done), do u think SB2000 and PB12NSD match well?

Note: here in my place, pb12nsd is no longer available.. So juz waiting for 2nd hand on the marketplace.. Dream plan is 2ported and 1 sealed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24125 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 10:59 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Got my sb2000 tonight, very excited.
Hooked up everything and it started thumping right away. However there are knobs on the back which have me confused, well the last one anyways.
I know volume obviously (set at 10 o'clock), phase I set to zero since it's about 2 feet away from the speakers, but the low pass filter is where I'm confused.
If I set to 50 hz, it barely makes noise, and at 160 hz I can hear the mids.
Is there a way to tune it by hand? I can't seem to find the sweet spot.

thanks
post #24126 of 24305 Old 06-03-2016, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 240
If you are using a processor or reciever with eq turn it to the max setting. If it has a place in the menu to set your sub crossover.
post #24127 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
I own a PB12 NSD, and juz got the itch to add more as I felt something is lacking like chest thump.. ideally sb12nd comes to mind as ideal pair.. But on my initial demo, I was not satisfied the pairing... So SB2000? ( no demo can be done), do u think SB2000 and PB12NSD match well?

Note: here in my place, pb12nsd is no longer available.. So juz waiting for 2nd hand on the marketplace.. Dream plan is 2ported and 1 sealed..

I also have a PB12-NSD and also started wanting more. Initially I added a PB-1000, as I got offered an ex-demo at less than 1/2 price, but found that I had to run the PB12-NSD's gain pretty low to level match them. After speaking with SVS tech support, I upgraded the PB-1000 to a PB-2000 and this has been a much better combo. The PB-2000 is very capable, and IMHO a decent step above the PB12-NSD.
post #24128 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I know this topic has been beat to death but I have a sub question. The room is 13x12 with 7' ceilings. Small hallway (about 6' long leads to my bedroom). I am building a system that I will have for 10+ years, hopefully. I have settled on the ascend sierra 2's, horizon, and towers for speakers and SVS sub.

I have been reading a lot about the use of dual sub vs single subs. I can either get dual pb2000 or a single pb13 ultra. I currently do not have room for two ultras, in my room or budget (for a few years probably haha). If I ended up with the ultra, as soon as I bought a house of my own (currently renting) I would probably buy another one, room depending.

I am about 95% movies/games, and 5% music. This is why I chose the PB over the SB. I have heard a ton of great things about the Ultras, but not sure about my room size. Would Dual 2000's be better?
post #24129 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Oh yes I know what you talking about. It is same in Europe but probably not that bad as there but still. I can send it from US to Europe really cheap.
I'd really like the SB13U or even dual PB2000s. But in my current room, I get strong output down to 20hz which is already all I want. So yeah, space and cost constraints wise I'm settling for dual SB2000s which are no slouch at all.
retro124 likes this.
post #24130 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
I'd really like the SB13U or even dual PB2000s. But in my current room, I get strong output down to 20hz which is already all I want. So yeah, space and cost constraints wise I'm settling for dual SB2000s which are no slouch at all.

I'm pretty sure dual SB-2000 will do great for you a specially when you really need to condsider all crazy prices there. Companies make here is US customers spoiled out of this country it is totally different story about how difficuilt or impossible is ever return item or exchange. Forget 45 days free audition and one year trade up with full value of sub what you returning. Much more expensive and difficuilt to shop ffor items like this. Let us know what you end up with and add some pictures.

Denon X4000
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's (soon for sale (maybe) :-)
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #24131 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I know this topic has been beat to death but I have a sub question. The room is 13x12 with 7' ceilings. Small hallway (about 6' long leads to my bedroom). I am building a system that I will have for 10+ years, hopefully. I have settled on the ascend sierra 2's, horizon, and towers for speakers and SVS sub.

I have been reading a lot about the use of dual sub vs single subs. I can either get dual pb2000 or a single pb13 ultra. I currently do not have room for two ultras, in my room or budget (for a few years probably haha). If I ended up with the ultra, as soon as I bought a house of my own (currently renting) I would probably buy another one, room depending.

I am about 95% movies/games, and 5% music. This is why I chose the PB over the SB. I have heard a ton of great things about the Ultras, but not sure about my room size. Would Dual 2000's be better?

Hi,

From the standpoint of output, two PB-2000's would roughly equal one PB-Ultra, so that part is pretty much a wash, and you could pick either one. The Ultra might still have a very slight output advantage over the two PB-2000's at some frequencies, but I think it would be pretty negligible with respect to the overall sound. Two subs in reasonable locations will typically provide improved frequency response. Among other things, that generally means that we will hear more bass, as the effects of cancellation (caused by room nulls and destructive interference) are mitigated. So, from the standpoint of overall performance, two PB-2000's would probably be a better choice than one PB-Ultra.

But you also mentioned buying a house at some point and then adding a second Ultra at that time. If you thought that were going to happen in the near future, say six months or so, I would recommend going with the Ultra now to future proof your system to an extent. If, on the other hand, the move is potentially several years off, then I would probably lean toward the two 2000's and expect to enjoy the improved sound of two subs for several years. Then, at some point when I moved, I would look at upgrade options, if necessary.

You really can't go wrong with either choice, so just follow your heart, as well as your head, on this one. Room size is not really a great determiner regarding preferred subwoofer capacity unless you are trying to do a Reference calculation--how much sub do I need to hit 15Hz at 115db, for instance. but most of us don't actually listen at Reference. So, room size can be a general guide, but individual preference for master volume and sub trim volume will be an equally strong, or stronger, determinant of necessary sub capacity. I believe that either choice is likely to give you excellent satisfaction in your current 1100^3 space, and either choice might also satisfy you in a future, larger space.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht likes this.
post #24132 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
The pb13 ultra however plays considerably lower than the pb2000.
post #24133 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post

Hi,

It is certainly possible to match ported and sealed subs, but it typically takes time and patience, along with measuring capability, such as REW, and some means of external EQ, such as a miniDSP, to accomplish it. I would definitely recommend against mixing ported and sealed subs unless you are willing to invest in all of the above.

A much better approach would be to add a PB-2000 to your system, as suggested earlier. If there were a way to locate your existing PB12-NSD nearfield (ideally within about a meter of your listening position) you could probably get the best of both worlds--lower frequency response and more volume.

When you mix ported and sealed subs, you are mixing subs with entirely different performance characteristics--different frequency responses, different overall output levels, different roll-off rates. The result can be worse sound rather than better sound, unless you can measure and then EQ specific frequencies. Mixing the two ported subs under discussion will mainly be an issue of different outputs (volume), and that's where locating your PB12-NSD closer to your listening position will help.

Regards,
Mike
post #24134 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
The pb13 ultra however plays considerably lower than the pb2000.

+1

The tuning point on the Ultra would be 3Hz lower, and output below 20Hz would slightly favor the Ultra, even allowing for the maximum gain of 6db (from dual subs), which the OP should achieve in a room that size. How perceivable that difference would be to the OP is the real question to me. From 20Hz up, though, it should be pretty much a wash. These are always tough choices.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24135 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 68
It looks like I missed out on picking up a PB12+ this time around. I think their prices may have actually gone up while I was chatting with them yesterday regarding delaying shipping, extending the trial period etc. due to me having nothing more than a television and center channel at the moment.

Considering that I really have no flipping idea what I'm doing, having more time to research, save money, think, stress out etc. may not be a bad thing. Their little Merlin tool did seem to like the PB12+ to go with the Polk bookshelf speakers I bought, which are still on backorder. I don't know what variables that tool takes into consideration, or how accurate it is, but it did make me feel better about moving forward with the PB12+ purchase.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but how often does SVS run their outlet sales? Is it rare, or do they seem to do it during most major holidays? I wonder if there is any chance they might be putting the PB12+ on clearance any time soon due to new products in their pipeline. Isn't this a pretty old sub?
post #24136 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
It looks like I missed out on picking up a PB12+ this time around. I think their prices may have actually gone up while I was chatting with them yesterday regarding delaying shipping, extending the trial period etc. due to me having nothing more than a television and center channel at the moment.

Considering that I really have no flipping idea what I'm doing, having more time to research, save money, think, stress out etc. may not be a bad thing. Their little Merlin tool did seem to like the PB12+ to go with the Polk bookshelf speakers I bought, which are still on backorder. I don't know what variables that tool takes into consideration, or how accurate it is, but it did make me feel better about moving forward with the PB12+ purchase.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but how often does SVS run their outlet sales? Is it rare, or do they seem to do it during most major holidays? I wonder if there is any chance they might be putting the PB12+ on clearance any time soon due to new products in their pipeline. Isn't this a pretty old sub?
SVS sales aren't all that common, and there is nothing to suggest that a new sub is coming. I would watch the outlet for another Plus or even looking at the cheaper PC12 Plus. It isn't as pretty but it is cheaper and will give you the same performance.
post #24137 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is certainly nothing wrong with having more time to research and stress . But FWIW, the sale prices are still showing on their website, so I am pretty sure that they would still honor them. Worth a try if you wanted to explore it.

http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub
post #24138 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
There is certainly nothing wrong with having more time to research and stress . But FWIW, the sale prices are still showing on their website, so I am pretty sure that they would still honor them. Worth a try if you wanted to explore it.

http://www.svsound.com/collections/o...als/outlet-sub
They do appear to still be having a sale, but the outlet prices on most of the subs went back up approximately $100 yesterday afternoon. Maybe I'll reach out and see if they would still be willing to honor yesterday's prices, or maybe I will wait until I feel like I am better educated, better prepared, have it together etc. The prospect of getting a decent price on a good sub was pretty exciting though even if it might be several months before I could enjoy it.
post #24139 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I will get dual pb2000 over the ultra. My move will not be for a few years into a house. Plus I've heard great things about dual subs over singles. Even if that single is the ultra.

I highly doubt, this early in my higher end audio hobby that I could tell a major difference in the sound. I'm sure I'd be happy with just one pb2000 or even 1000 but I want to be satisfied for years with these and don't want to take any chances.

Thank you all
gene4ht, mthomas47, baron2 and 1 others like this.
post #24140 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
I will get dual pb2000 over the ultra. My move will not be for a few years into a house. Plus I've heard great things about dual subs over singles. Even if that single is the ultra.

I highly doubt, this early in my higher end audio hobby that I could tell a major difference in the sound. I'm sure I'd be happy with just one pb2000 or even 1000 but I want to be satisfied for years with these and don't want to take any chances.

Thank you all
I was in the same dilemna as you. My room isn't as small as yours and went with the smaller SB13 instead of dual PB2000's. I'm glad I did because the Ultra is amazing and the small footprint fits my room perfectly. Your room is only 13x12 with 7 ft ceilings and you want dual PB2000's? I think your making a mistake. Those are huge subs and are gonna take up alot of real estate. I would go for the single PB13 or SB13 imo.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Oppo 103D Sony PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #24141 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
They do appear to still be having a sale, but the outlet prices on most of the subs went back up approximately $100 yesterday afternoon. Maybe I'll reach out and see if they would still be willing to honor yesterday's prices, or maybe I will wait until I feel like I am better educated, better prepared, have it together etc. The prospect of getting a decent price on a good sub was pretty exciting though even if it might be several months before I could enjoy it.
It looks like the outlet prices are back to normal. I think they just forgot to remove the "extended" sale banner/header from the page. They will likely have another sale for 4th of July weekend.
post #24142 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you all
I would agree with going with duals. It will give you much more flexibility when it comes to controlling frequency response, not to mention the additional output capabilities that come along with having dual subs. Dual PB2000's will give you a ton of bass, especially in a smaller room.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24143 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I would agree with going with duals. It will give you much more flexibility when it comes to controlling frequency response, not to mention the additional output capabilities that come along with having dual subs. Dual PB2000's will give you a ton of bass, especially in a smaller room.

No matter what just go dual. I have dual PB13s. Adding the extra made a world of a difference. Sickening level of bass

gene4ht likes this.
post #24144 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you all
Just one more thought, it looks as though you have a pretty small theater. My first theater was 10x11 so I know what that's like. I would strongly consider the cylinder version. It would give you much more flexibility in placement over the box without sacrificing performance.
post #24145 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post
No matter what just go dual. I have dual PB13s. Adding the extra made a world of a difference. Sickening level of bass

Agreed, going to duals really allowed me to take my theater to another level.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24146 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked: 1541
Lots of people think they have a small room but dont take into account that its open to other rooms/hallways/stairs etc.
januza likes this.
post #24147 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 401
As I currently have dual PB-2000's in a 4800 cu ft theater and have also had a single PB-13 Ultra, I will concur with all the previous posters recommending the dual 2000's. From first hand experience and utilizing REW in my environment, the benefits of dual PB-2000's out performed the single Ultra...especially if you are concerned with FR at more than one listening position. As mentioned, the only area the single Ultra out performed the duals was below 20 Hz...but keep in mind that 90% - 95% of the bass content you'll enjoy in movies is above 20 Hz. IMO and as was also mentioned, unless you move into a much larger space soon, the dual PB-2000's or PC-2000's are the better choice. You won't be disappointed!
mthomas47, baron2 and retro124 like this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: PB-2000 x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85

Last edited by gene4ht; 06-04-2016 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
post #24148 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you all
That was my thinking as well. I'm now in 14x14 room with dual Pluses. It is too much now? Yes. Is there really too much sub? No.
I'm just future proof for bigger room when I will move to bigger house. Well I will pick up dual PB/PC-2000 over single Ultra for sure but you can easilly get one Ultra PB,PC, SB enjoy it for while and add second later on. That is also question for your budget manager
gene4ht and baron2 like this.

Denon X4000
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3

Last edited by retro124; 06-04-2016 at 08:36 PM.
post #24149 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Is anyone using their sub with a bass shaker? Just set up my PB1000 and I'm having a hard time finding the right balance between the two.
post #24150 of 24305 Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Dual subs are a big plus for multiple seating positions. The route I took is using 4 subs, but two stacked together in two locations. I usually run two subs for music only, then will run all four if I really want to go all out for movies or games.
januza likes this.

Current game room setup> Onkyo HT-RC560, Pioneer FS52 fronts, C22 center, C22 side surrounds, JBL Loft 40 rear surrounds. SVS PB12-NSD x2, PC12-NSD x2, PC-2000 subs. Vivitek DH559 1080p DLP projector w/100" screen, LG 60" 1080p Plasma. LG Blu-Ray player, XBONE, PS4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page