Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 814 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3346Likes

post #24391 of 24759 Old 08-05-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Thanks, Gene! Me, tinker? I probably will try to call Ed at some point, but since becoming more of a CEO, I think he can be a little harder to reach.

I currently have three Ultras (two PC's and one PB) on three opposing walls in a 6000^3 room. I get great balance and overall bass, but yes, I have the itch to try something. I can rearrange some things a bit and get another PB Ultra nearfield, about 2' behind my listening chair. And I would love to try a true nearfield sub, firing into the back of my chair, in order to increase tactile response, if for no other reason.

But by far the best way to make that work would involve moving a PC to another wall, and laying it on it's side. I really think that I have enough information to do this, as I can't think of a reason why a cylinder won't work perfectly well that way. I will just need to wait for the right time financially, which will probably be in a few weeks. But, it's still nice to hear a little reassurance from fellow users that cylinders perform well lying on their sides.

When I do try this, I will be glad to post my impressions of both the cylinder on its side, and the nearfield sub.

Regards,
Mike
I was really hesitant to run my Ultra on its side, and at least initially I vetoed the idea. The best spot I found for the Ultra would have had it blocking my screen. After the guys from GIK acoustics pushed on relocating my Ultra to that spot I decided to call SVS. They assured me that as long as you keep the amp facing up it shouldn't make a difference. Of course, I decided to measure this for myself with REW. After a few tests it was pretty clear that there was no difference.

Putting the Ultra on its side opened up enough placement options for me that I rank it as one of the best tweaks I've ever made. My Plus is standing up in the back of the theater, so I can't comment about getting it that close to the seating position.

Try it and see what the measurements look like!
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24392 of 24759 Old 08-05-2016, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I was really hesitant to run my Ultra on its side, and at least initially I vetoed the idea. The best spot I found for the Ultra would have had it blocking my screen. After the guys from GIK acoustics pushed on relocating my Ultra to that spot I decided to call SVS. They assured me that as long as you keep the amp facing up it shouldn't make a difference. Of course, I decided to measure this for myself with REW. After a few tests it was pretty clear that there was no difference.

Putting the Ultra on its side opened up enough placement options for me that I rank it as one of the best tweaks I've ever made. My Plus is standing up in the back of the theater, so I can't comment about getting it that close to the seating position.

Try it and see what the measurements look like!

Hi Allen, and thanks a lot for the reassurance. I was never really concerned about adversely affecting my frequency response, since this will simply give me four opposing walls instead of three. But I was interested in whether laying a cylinder on it's side could affect it's ability to perform optimally. I honestly couldn't think of any reason why it would, but it's still nice to hear from someone who has actually tried it. Thanks again!

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht likes this.
post #24393 of 24759 Old 08-05-2016, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Thanks, Gene! Me, tinker? I probably will try to call Ed at some point, but since becoming more of a CEO, I think he can be a little harder to reach.

I currently have three Ultras (two PC's and one PB) on three opposing walls in a 6000^3 room. I get great balance and overall bass, but yes, I have the itch to try something. I can rearrange some things a bit and get another PB Ultra nearfield, about 2' behind my listening chair. And I would love to try a true nearfield sub, firing into the back of my chair, in order to increase tactile response, if for no other reason.

But by far the best way to make that work would involve moving a PC to another wall, and laying it on it's side. I really think that I have enough information to do this, as I can't think of a reason why a cylinder won't work perfectly well that way. I will just need to wait for the right time financially, which will probably be in a few weeks. But, it's still nice to hear a little reassurance from fellow users that cylinders perform well lying on their sides.

When I do try this, I will be glad to post my impressions of both the cylinder on its side, and the nearfield sub.

Regards,
Mike
Previously, I didn't quite understand what you were attempting to do...thought you we're just repositioning your three Ultras so one could be nearfield. Now that you're contemplating adding a fourth Ultra with one being nearfield...that's a completely different animal! With that move, I'm classifying you as a "certified" BASSHEAD! Saw that Allen07 responded to your post with some encouraging information. Here's hoping the results will take you to the level you're looking for. You know, after this, it's DIY with many multiple 18" sealed units! At any rate, I'm getting ahead of things. I'm just a bit envious and looking forward to your findings!

BTW: After recently finding new homes for my dual PB-2000's, I took my first steps in evaluating potential replacements. I ordered and just received dual PB-13 Ultras. I'm currently in the process of determining optimal placement, running both XT32 and AccuEQ, and then checking results with REW.
mthomas47 and retro124 like this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: PB13-Ultra x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #24394 of 24759 Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Previously, I didn't quite understand what you were attempting to do...thought you we're just repositioning your three Ultras so one could be nearfield. Now that you're contemplating adding a fourth Ultra with one being nearfield...that's a completely different animal! With that move, I'm classifying you as a "certified" BASSHEAD! Saw that Allen07 responded to your post with some encouraging information. Here's hoping the results will take you to the level you're looking for. You know, after this, it's DIY with many multiple 18" sealed units! At any rate, I'm getting ahead of things. I'm just a bit envious and looking forward to your findings!

BTW: After recently finding new homes for my dual PB-2000's, I took my first steps in evaluating potential replacements. I ordered and just received dual PB-13 Ultras. I'm currently in the process of determining optimal placement, running both XT32 and AccuEQ, and then checking results with REW.

Thanks Gene! That's outstanding, that you already have your Ultras! So, that's where the PB13's in the Outlet went. I am anxious to hear about your results. I think you are going to be very impressed with the Ultras.

I guess I can think of worse things to be called than a "certified Basshead". "Addict" springs to mind. There was always this little nagging voice, whispering in my head, that if I liked three subs, four would be even better. And it is a big room. But I kept telling myself that it wouldn't be worth adding another for only a 3db increase, as I already have excellent frequency response and envelopment. But once, I started seriously thinking about the possibility of getting the extra 3db, and increased tactile response from a nearfield sub, I was doomed. All of us here are probably a little nuts. I'm just a little more so than most.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24395 of 24759 Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:

Congrat's Gene to your new twins. You will have a lot of fun with those. Can't wait for your post and how to compare Ultras vs PB-2000. What finish did you get?

Few things:

-time to update signature!!!
-how could you order them and not share that info here?
-where is pictures?
gene4ht likes this.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200, UPA-7 Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #24396 of 24759 Old 08-06-2016, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's outstanding, that you already have your Ultras! So, that's where the PB13's in the Outlet went.
Hi Mike...actually didn't get the outlet units...but instead bought new.

Quote:
I am anxious to hear about your results. I think you are going to be very impressed with the Ultras.
Unfortunately, it'll be another week before I can do some real subjective/objective evaluations as I have house guests for the next 5-7 days...family wedding.

Quote:
I guess I can think of worse things to be called than a "certified Basshead". "Addict" springs to mind. There was always this little nagging voice, whispering in my head, that if I liked three subs, four would be even better. And it is a big room. But I kept telling myself that it wouldn't be worth adding another for only a 3db increase, as I already have excellent frequency response and envelopment. But once, I started seriously thinking about the possibility of getting the extra 3db, and increased tactile response from a nearfield sub, I was doomed. All of us here are probably a little nuts. I'm just a little more so than most.
No explanation needed...just poking a little fun! Everyone here is familiar with that "little nagging voice" and that darn rabbit hole. After all, like someone said, life is about fun and enjoying the journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
Congrat's Gene to your new twins. You will have a lot of fun with those. Can't wait for your post and how to compare Ultras vs PB-2000. What finish did you get?

Few things:

-time to update signature!!!
-how could you order them and not share that info here?
-where is pictures?
Thanks Retro! I chose the black oak finish as at least one of the subs will likely be under my screen...piano black finishes are known for reflecting distracting light from projectors. I've only had a chance to place the subs in their first trial positions and listened to them briefly without proper setup...just to ensure proper functionality. Even so, I can easily tell that the pair (1) are in the same SQ family and (2) have higher output, and (3) hit with a bit more authority than the PB-2000's. I have always maintained, and still do, that the PB-2000's are very capable in my 4800 cu ft space in these areas. At this early stage, I find that the Ultras produce just a bit more in these same areas. Also, please recall that I will also be evaluating competing subs in this class as well...so the Ultras may or may not stay. My apologies for not posting about my order. I typically prefer not to talk about things until they are actually in my possession and I have some minimal level of experience with them...it's just me. As I'm able, I'll provide more definitive/objective impressions over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

And since you asked about pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0740[1].jpg
Views:	200
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	1588561

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0745[1].jpg
Views:	187
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	1588569

post #24397 of 24759 Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a very nice and very clean looking room and set-up, Gene. I hadn't forgotten that you were planning to audition some other brands. You know that we are all going to pester you to give us your impressions of everything you test, don't you?
gene4ht likes this.
post #24398 of 24759 Old 08-07-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 683
@Gene 4th, nice pictures !!!! Room looks great. Nice to see your Ultras in oak finish, Oak will be my choice as well. I'm not a big fan of piano black finish.
I know you will start audition more subs and maybe end up with different brand why not but I think Ultras will deliver what you bern looking for. Keep us posted and have fun with them!!!
gene4ht likes this.

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's, RS-52II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B
Emotiva XPA-200, UPA-7 Oppo 103D
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3
post #24399 of 24759 Old 08-08-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4048 Post(s)
Liked: 2761
Beautiful room @gene4ht !

Those subs look HUGE (and menacing)!
gene4ht likes this.
post #24400 of 24759 Old 08-08-2016, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for your kind words guys! It's killing me that my house guests will be here til Sunday...can't do any playing and meaningful testing til then.

Quote:
That's a very nice and very clean looking room and set-up, Gene. I hadn't forgotten that you were planning to audition some other brands. You know that we are all going to pester you to give us your impressions of everything you test, don't you?
Expecting and looking forward to it! Will you definitely be moving forward with your fourth Ultra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
@Gene 4th, nice pictures !!!! Room looks great. Nice to see your Ultras in oak finish, Oak will be my choice as well. I'm not a big fan of piano black finish.
I know you will start audition more subs and maybe end up with different brand why not but I think Ultras will deliver what you bern looking for. Keep us posted and have fun with them!!!
My first and early impressions have been very favorable! I have quite a bit of set up and testing to do next week...will keep you posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Beautiful room @gene4ht !

Those subs look HUGE (and menacing)!
Hi Alan! Yep...I think that's a good thing. My previous dual PB-2000's would be a bit intimidated!

Incidentally, I currently have and been using V5.15 Beta 2 of REW. Would there be any reason/advantage to upgrade to a more recent version...if so which version would you recommend? Thx!
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by gene4ht; 08-08-2016 at 08:40 PM.
post #24401 of 24759 Old 08-09-2016, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Hi Mike...actually didn't get the outlet units...but instead bought new.

Unfortunately, it'll be another week before I can do some real subjective/objective evaluations as I have house guests for the next 5-7 days...family wedding.

No explanation needed...just poking a little fun! Everyone here is familiar with that "little nagging voice" and that darn rabbit hole. After all, like someone said, life is about fun and enjoying the journey.

Thanks Retro! I chose the black oak finish as at least one of the subs will likely be under my screen...piano black finishes are known for reflecting distracting light from projectors. I've only had a chance to place the subs in their first trial positions and listened to them briefly without proper setup...just to ensure proper functionality. Even so, I can easily tell that the pair (1) are in the same SQ family and (2) have higher output, and (3) hit with a bit more authority than the PB-2000's. I have always maintained, and still do, that the PB-2000's are very capable in my 4800 cu ft space in these areas. At this early stage, I find that the Ultras produce just a bit more in these same areas. Also, please recall that I will also be evaluating competing subs in this class as well...so the Ultras may or may not stay. My apologies for not posting about my order. I typically prefer not to talk about things until they are actually in my possession and I have some minimal level of experience with them...it's just me. As I'm able, I'll provide more definitive/objective impressions over the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned!

And since you asked about pictures...

Attachment 1588561

Attachment 1588569
Enjoy! You've got a great looking setup there.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24402 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Just ordered 2 PC-2000's to replace my 2 SB12-NSD's. The SB's served me well and sounded great but even though I have a smaller room they were just not providing me with the impact I wanted in my movies and since I basically do zero music listening in the room outside of concert discs that have atmos tracks I had to upgrade the little guys. I went PC for size so they can simply be placed where the SB's were without needing to move anything around.

Delivery is going to feel like forever!!!

Samsung UN65KS8000,UBD-K8500/Denon AVR-x6200w/Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 x3(L/C/R),ProMonitor 1000 x4(Surround),DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/PlayStation 4/Xbox One S/Sony BDP-S5200(ICOS MOD)
APC H15/Panamax m4300/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #24403 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

[QUOTE=gene4ht;45918897]Thanks for your kind words guys! It's killing me that my house guests will be here til Sunday...can't do any playing and meaningful testing til then.

Expecting and looking forward to it! Will you definitely be moving forward with your fourth Ultra?

My first and early impressions have been very favorable! I have quite a bit of set up and testing to do next week...will keep you posted!/QUOTE]

Hi Gene,

I'm glad to hear that your first impressions are favorable. I boost the heck out of mine, so I know they can take it.

I have been studying my options quite seriously, including pivoting to another sub, such as the Cap 1400. But I am really keen on the nearfield concept, so I think that I would still want four, and I don't think I can quite justify that. A lot of my analysis has led me back to the Ultras, although with only two subs, the Caps might still be calling to me. But the output and extension advantages diminish as the sub multiples get higher, if that makes sense, so a complete change in direction now is unlikely for me, despite your good example. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet on the fourth Ultra, but I am very anxious to try it.

I will be very interested in your impressions of the 1400's if you try them, with respect to both subjective output and sound signature.

This shouldn't and won't influence your thinking, but I decided that it is a factor for me. I decided that I really like the look of a real wood finish, and unlike some, I also really like the metal grill on the big subs. Throw in the piano black finish, which I know that you don't particularly want, but which I like a lot, and the Ultra starts to look like a better buy than a lot of people give it credit for.

Solely from a performance standpoint, for instance, the 1400 offers undeniable performance benefits, but frankly the plain matte finish and the plain grille don't do much for me. You can upgrade to another finish ($300, I think) or even to piano black ($500 more in the 1400), but black oak, or piano black, come standard with the Ultras. I have recently found myself respecting SVS for maintaining a level of aesthetic, as well as performance, quality.

Of course, with Funk subs you can have both, in spades, but that is an entirely different price point, particularly for multiple units. So, my recent fairly serious study of competing performance specs, prices, and aesthetic factors, has sort of given me a renewed appreciation for SVS. But a big YMMV as you conduct your comparisons!

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht likes this.
post #24404 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
Just ordered 2 PC-2000's to replace my 2 SB12-NSD's. The SB's served me well and sounded great but even though I have a smaller room they were just not providing me with the impact I wanted in my movies and since I basically do zero music listening in the room outside of concert discs that have atmos tracks I had to upgrade the little guys. I went PC for size so they can simply be placed where the SB's were without needing to move anything around.

Delivery is going to feel like forever!!!
Awesome. Congratulations. I just ordered my second PC2000 a couple of hours ago. (currently have PC2000 and PB1000). Researching using the PB1000 nearfield. I'm already getting impatient.
post #24405 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfriedrich View Post
Awesome. Congratulations. I just ordered my second PC2000 a couple of hours ago. (currently have PC2000 and PB1000). Researching using the PB1000 nearfield. I'm already getting impatient.

You are ahead of me on your order, but we will have to compare notes in a few weeks. I am anxious to try a PB as a nearfield sub, too. How close will yours be to your chair?
post #24406 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[quote=mthomas47;45965377]
Quote:
Thanks for your kind words guys! It's killing me that my house guests will be here til Sunday...can't do any playing and meaningful testing til then.

My first and early impressions have been very favorable! I have quite a bit of set up and testing to do next week...will keep you posted!/QUOTE]

Hi Gene,

I'm glad to hear that your first impressions are favorable. I boost the heck out of mine, so I know they can take it.

I have been studying my options quite seriously, including pivoting to another sub, such as the Cap 1400. But I am really keen on the nearfield concept, so I think that I would still want four, and I don't think I can quite justify that. A lot of my analysis has led me back to the Ultras, although with only two subs, the Caps might still be calling to me. But the output and extension advantages diminish as the sub multiples get higher, if that makes sense, so a complete change in direction now is unlikely for me, despite your good example. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger yet on the fourth Ultra, but I am very anxious to try it.

I will be very interested in your impressions of the 1400's if you try them, with respect to both subjective output and sound signature.

This shouldn't and won't influence your thinking, but I decided that it is a factor for me. I decided that I really like the look of a real wood finish, and unlike some, I also really like the metal grill on the big subs. Throw in the piano black finish, which I know that you don't particularly want, but which I like a lot, and the Ultra starts to look like a better buy than a lot of people give it credit for.

Solely from a performance standpoint, for instance, the 1400 offers undeniable performance benefits, but frankly the plain matte finish and the plain grille don't do much for me. You can upgrade to another finish ($300, I think) or even to piano black ($500 more in the 1400), but black oak, or piano black, come standard with the Ultras. I have recently found myself respecting SVS for maintaining a level of aesthetic, as well as performance, quality.

Of course, with Funk subs you can have both, in spades, but that is an entirely different price point, particularly for multiple units. So, my recent fairly serious study of competing performance specs, prices, and aesthetic factors, has sort of given me a renewed appreciation for SVS. But a big YMMV as you conduct your comparisons!

Regards,
Mike
I agree 100% with your view on the Ultra. I of coarse wish i had the room and budget you have. But like you i run my Ultra 13 pretty hot but not to the point of abuse and it is impressive. Would love to have a second one and if the Canadian $$ improves i may. Also unlike many on this forum, i do really like the steel grill and piano finish. I don't find keeping it clean an issue at all,,, then again i dont have kids running around here with stick fingers all day.

In hind sight was thinking i should have gone with the JTR S-1 as it is compact and would have a performance advantage, but the aesthetics of the SB Ultra are pretty sweet.
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.
post #24407 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have two PC13 Ultras and have moved them around the room many times (so easy to move compared to the PB.
I have also used them on their sides no problem.
When I had them behind the MLP it did increase the tactile response, but my overall frequency response was not good.

Now I am experimenting with them up front next to the main speakers, and a mid bass module directly behind the MLP. It's a relatively cheap option that seems to work well.
Check this thread for more details:
Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response
mthomas47 likes this.
post #24408 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I thought about putting my SB12's near field but my room is really on the smaller side only 12x14x8 so I decided it unnecessary and to sell to recoup hopefully enough to cover the cost of one of the new subs. Plus the Mrs would kill me as I wasn't really supposed to order the new subs until I sold the current ones. So now it's just a matter of finding a buyer hopefully before the new subs get here
pcfriedrich likes this.

Samsung UN65KS8000,UBD-K8500/Denon AVR-x6200w/Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 65 x3(L/C/R),ProMonitor 1000 x4(Surround),DI5.5R x4(Atmos/DTS X)
SVS PC-2000 x2(Subs)/PlayStation 4/Xbox One S/Sony BDP-S5200(ICOS MOD)
APC H15/Panamax m4300/Logitech Harmony Elite
post #24409 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
You are ahead of me on your order, but we will have to compare notes in a few weeks. I am anxious to try a PB as a nearfield sub, too. How close will yours be to your chair?
We'll see. I just downloaded REW, and am shopping for a mic. Until now, I've placed my subs by ear and convenience of space. The PB 1000 will likely be directly behind the couch main listening position, under a pub table (where drinks are rested while playing darts. My area is kind of unofficially divided between TV/movie watching and darts/drinking.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #24410 of 24759 Old 08-10-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKa DaShiznit View Post
I thought about putting my SB12's near field but my room is really on the smaller side only 12x14x8 so I decided it unnecessary and to sell to recoup hopefully enough to cover the cost of one of the new subs. Plus the Mrs would kill me as I wasn't really supposed to order the new subs until I sold the current ones. So now it's just a matter of finding a buyer hopefully before the new subs get here
Yeah, my room is like 14x28, with 9' ceilings. I need as much as I can get. One at a time. I do like the idea of putting the smaller sub near field, or in the middle of a long side wall to increase mid-bass. it wil take some experimenting.
post #24411 of 24759 Old 08-11-2016, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendognz View Post
I have two PC13 Ultras and have moved them around the room many times (so easy to move compared to the PB.
I have also used them on their sides no problem.
When I had them behind the MLP it did increase the tactile response, but my overall frequency response was not good.

Now I am experimenting with them up front next to the main speakers, and a mid bass module directly behind the MLP. It's a relatively cheap option that seems to work well.
Check this thread for more details:
Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response

Thanks, for the information. I have read that thread, and that among other things I have read, convinced me to try a nearfield sub. I currently have a cylinder located about 7' behind my listening chair, and have never gotten a lot of extra tactile response from it, although my frequency response is good. But I think that putting a mid-bass module directly behind your chair should work very well, and I will be interested in hearing your impressions if you don't mind posting them.

In my case, I decided to move the cylinder, and get another sub (a PB) firing straight ahead (rather than down) into my chair from a distance of about 2'. That should get me a little more headroom, in general, as well as improved tactile response. I can't wait to find out. Down-firing subs offer advantages in placement, with no real drawbacks, from everything I have read or observed. But one thing that they can't do, is to fire directly into our backs, as nearfield subs.

Regards,
Mike
post #24412 of 24759 Old 08-11-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Thanks, for the information. I have read that thread, and that among other things I have read, convinced me to try a nearfield sub. I currently have a cylinder located about 7' behind my listening chair, and have never gotten a lot of extra tactile response from it, although my frequency response is good. But I think that putting a mid-bass module directly behind your chair should work very well, and I will be interested in hearing your impressions if you don't mind posting them.

In my case, I decided to move the cylinder, and get another sub (a PB) firing straight ahead (rather than down) into my chair from a distance of about 2'. That should get me a little more headroom, in general, as well as improved tactile response. I can't wait to find out. Down-firing subs offer advantages in placement, with no real drawbacks, from everything I have read or observed. But one thing that they can't do, is to fire directly into our backs, as nearfield subs.

Regards,
Mike
I had the pc13 on its side with the driver facing the MLP, that produced good TR. But you need a lot of room for that, after adding a second row of seats I lost that room.
The MBM produces significanly more mid bass TR than the PC13, at least that is my experience so far. It is scary how much feeling you can get from it given its size and cost.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #24413 of 24759 Old 08-11-2016, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Gene,
Good to know! I haven't had a chance to do so yet...but I certainly intend to do so!

Quote:
I completely understand and agree with your thought process. It's only because of my current position with two trial Ultras that auditioning competing products is a "no brainer."

Quote:
The Cap 1400's are on order. Based on Data-Bass findings, I would be remiss if I did not audition these as well as other well regarded competitors. My key selection criteria are absolutely sound signature and output in that order.

Quote:
IMO, SVS excels in appearance, aesthetics, finish, and build quality. Along with exceptional customer service, these are the reasons I have had multiple SVS subs. Also, I'll go on record as being a fan of the metal grill. This being said, immersed in a movie with the lights out or listening to a favorite recording, the primary criteria (for me in my setup) will be the sound signature. I would equate this to having an AT screen. It should be a fun and interesting few weeks!

Quote:
I'm looking forward to confirming and quantifying this first hand in my space...rather than from paper and anecdotal evidence.

Quote:
FYI...I'm not in Warren Buffett's tax bracket...yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I agree 100% with your view on the Ultra. I of coarse wish i had the room and budget you have. But like you i run my Ultra 13 pretty hot but not to the point of abuse and it is impressive. Would love to have a second one and if the Canadian $$ improves i may. Also unlike many on this forum, i do really like the steel grill and piano finish. I don't find keeping it clean an issue at all,,, then again i dont have kids running around here with stick fingers all day.

In hind sight was thinking i should have gone with the JTR S-1 as it is compact and would have a performance advantage, but the aesthetics of the SB Ultra are pretty sweet.
I also agree! And I do understand and empathize with Canadians with respect to the cost of electronics.
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by gene4ht; 08-11-2016 at 10:58 PM.
post #24414 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 400
2 PC12-NSD availabe at SVS outlet.
I picked one that had no damage.
mthomas47 and pcfriedrich like this.
post #24415 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I just ordered a PC2000 two days ago, but man is that PC12-NSD tempting...
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
post #24416 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looks like only one remaining now.
post #24417 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
How much was the PC12-NSD with no damage?
post #24418 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix_master_ice View Post
how much was the pc12-nsd with no damage?
$499.99
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
post #24419 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
$499.99
Very nice sub for that price. I have a couple of them and really like them. This weekend I'm taking the isolation feet off my two PB12-NSD's, removing the base plates from my PC12-NSD's, and putting the feet on the cylinders.
post #24420 of 24759 Old 08-12-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just ordered a PC2000 two days ago, but man is that PC12-NSD tempting...
I have both PC-2000 and PC12-NSD and it can be difficult to discern the difference. PC-2000 has a bit more output and extension, but in most applications it's hard to tell one from the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page