AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  H Stevens 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#16,301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720107

Nothings guaranteed but for 10 dollars it's surely worth a try. I'm betting it will work
He could do basically the same thing by turning up the sub volume in the AVR +3 and it wont cost a penny. Also wouldnt have to worry about possibly setting the sub up different because hes no longer only using the LFE input.

And it is guaranteed and free if you just leave it On.

#16,302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720122

He could do basically the same thing by turning up the sub volume in the AVR +3 and it wont cost a penny. Also wouldnt have to worry about possibly setting the sub up different because hes no longer only using the LFE input.

And it is guaranteed and free if you just leave it On.
I thought he didn't want to leave it turned ON all the time though so that's why I suggested a Y adapter. Yes he could run it 3 db's hot but if he's using audyssey then it would not be set up right and there would be too much bass correct?

#16,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720164

I thought he didn't want to leave it turned ON all the time though so that's why I suggested a Y adapter. Yes he could run it 3 db's hot but if he's using audyssey then it would not be set up right and there would be too much bass correct?
No such thing as too much bass. Nah most people tweak Audyssey anyway. If he bumps up the AVR then just bump the sub down.

#16,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720175

No such thing as too much bass. Nah most people tweak Audyssey anyway. If he bumps up the AVR then just bump the sub down.
Connecting to two inputs in parallel, will halve the impedance seen by the amp which would double the current required. Running a Y adapter just gives it twice the input signal to wake it up at a lower volume. He will have to turn it down 3db's but I would assume it would wake up the sub right away.

#16,305 ·
I had a Klipsch RW12D that wouldn't wake up in auto. I bought a Y adapter and readjusted volume down to compensate for the 3db's after running audyssey. Needless to say it worked everytime at very low volumes. In fact it woke up immediately after initial startup.

#16,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720183

Connecting to two inputs in parallel, will halve the impedance seen by the amp which would double the current required. Running a Y adapter just gives it twice the input signal to wake it up at a lower volume. He will have to turn it down 3db's but I would assume it would wake up the sub right away.
Not sure what youre trying to prove. That is all correct with the key word being "assume". We're kinda going in circles with this now.

#16,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720193

I had a Klipsch RW12D that wouldn't wake up in auto. I bought a Y adapter and readjusted volume down to compensate for the 3db's after running audyssey. Needless to say it worked everytime at very low volumes. In fact it woke up immediately after initial startup.
Not guaranteed. A Y adaptor did not work for my sub so I just leave it On.

#16,308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720200

Not sure what youre trying to prove. That is all correct with the key word being "assume". We're kinda going in circles with this now.
I'm not trying to prove anything just telling you my experience. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

#16,309 ·
Sorry... not trying to be condescending or "trollish", but... what's so hard about turning it (them) on when you turn your system on, and turning it (them) off when you turn your system off? Do you guys leave your lights on all the time, because it's too much effort to flip a switch? And if you spend this much time trying to figure out whether or not to bend over and flip a switch... how on earth do you manage to decide what to eat?

#16,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 26354  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720505

Sorry... not trying to be condescending or "trollish", but... what's so hard about turning it (them) on when you turn your system on, and turning it (them) off when you turn your system off? Do you guys leave your lights on all the time, because it's too much effort to flip a switch? And if you spend this much time trying to figure out whether or not to bend over and flip a switch... how on earth do you manage to decide what to eat?
Theres also a performance and reliability issue. If you do forget to turn off the lights you dont have to worry about damaging a $400 amplifier. So people like to know whether or not if they do forget to turn it off will it damage their high end subwoofer.

Btw Not a very good job at not trying to be condescending or "trollish".

#16,314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720797

Everything as in standby. Caps are capacitors. A amp that is powered up 24/7 compared to one that would be powered up when you're actually using it will have aged capacitors.

Not necessarily true...caps are aged by cycling both thermally and electrically. If the unit is on and maintains a steady charge that is better than discharging when off and recharging.

#16,316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24719874

It irks me that sometimes listening in on lower volumes one will kick on and one won't then sometimes one will stay on longer than the other.

I ran a trigger wire to my sub, because it was sometimes not coming on at low volumes. Now I get a blue light immediately when I turn on my AVR, and a red light immediately when I turn it off. If you can run the wire (cheap, dollar store wire--just has to carry a 12V signal) to each sub, and your AVR has a trigger output, that might solve your problem.

#16,317 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16380#post_24720812

I ran a trigger wire to my sub, because it was sometimes not coming on at low volumes. Now I get a blue light immediately when I turn on my AVR, and a red light immediately when I turn it off. If you can run the wire (cheap, dollar store wire--just has to carry a 12V signal) to each sub, and your AVR has a trigger output, that might solve your problem.
Thats a good idea. I was going to do that with my sub but it doesnt have a trigger input.

#16,318 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16380#post_24720819

Thats a good idea. I was going to do that with my sub but it doesnt have a trigger input.
I have a yamah a rx-v673 . I don't think I have one either

#16,319 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16350#post_24720797

Everything as in standby. Caps are capacitors. A amp that is powered up 24/7 compared to one that would be powered up when you're actually using it will have aged capacitors.
Yi. Thats insignificant in the big scheme of things. You can also do damage by power cycling and heating and cooling over and over.

Not sure what you mean by Standby though. You said leaving "everything" on and now youre saying something about "standby". I dont get the connection. Are you suggesting Standby mode does more damage than turning it Off all the time?

#16,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman  /t/737143/official-svs-owners-support-thread/16380#post_24720826

I have a yamah a rx-v673 . I don't think I have one either

I have an RX-V773. The trigger output on the 673 is just to the left of the speaker terminals on the back panel. My sub is a PB-1000, their lower end sub, and it has a trigger input, so I'm assuming all of their subs do.