Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 826 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3346Likes

post #24751 of 24760 Old 09-23-2016, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Gene,

That was a good post. If you ever have time, I would still be very interested in your subjective impressions of the three different subs you tested. Since we both have ported Ultras to use as a baseline, I think that your subjective impressions would be particularly interesting. And some others on the thread might feel the same way.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike...

Please allow me to use an automotive analogy. Let's take a Mustang GT, Corvette, and Viper. From an objective perspective, one will certainly have the most HP to weight ratio, another the fastest 1/4 mile time, another the highest top speed, and another the greatest acceleration. Things to also consider may be dealer support, resale value, etc. In any case, most would agree that these are all great cars. But which factors determine which one is right for you and the one you would purchase? Then there's the "subjective" side to contemplate. Which one is most visually appealing, which one has the greatest fun factor, which one is the most ergonomic, which one the most comfortable for everyday use, which one has the most pleasing exhaust note, etc.

Now back to subwoofers: It was early on that I realized I was not looking for the sub with necessarily the best numbers...i.e. the greatest output (loudest) or the greatest extension (lowest FR)...but rather the combination of factors that would deliver the effect/sound/aesthetics/performance that were important for me. This is the epiphany I referred to in my previous post. The choice becomes much easier/simpler when these factors are known from the onset. So for me, the Ultra was the sub of choice by a relatively small margin.
Objectively speaking, in my 4800 cf space, all the subs have more than adequate output and headroom to easily pressurize my room and satisfy "my listening levels"...typically -20 to 0dB...never beyond reference. In terms of extension, I don't have the desire to chase single digits. My happy zone is in the 15Hz-20Hz region +/- 3dB which these subs easily achieved in my room. Then there's the tactile response of mid-bass slam. Again, all the subs provided all the sensation I needed and wanted...particularly in my second row which is on a riser. At this point, I don't have a desire for a nearfield sub or tactile transducers. In summary, all the subs met my objective performance requirements equally in that all excelled and exceeded them.

This then led me to my subjective decision elements. My priorities were in no particular order...

SQ/signature:
The Ultras replaced PB-2000's and probably had an advantage. I really like the sound signature of the 2K's. With the same DNA/Pedigree, the Ultra just had more of what appealed to me with the 2K's.

Size and dimension ratio:
Based on my ideal placement and location options below my projection screen, the Ultras dimensions just happen to "fit" better physically and aesthetically.

Fit, Finish, and Visual Appeal:
Friends and family voted in favor of the Ultra. I agree and admittedly a fanboy of the metal grill.

My decision was based on establishing/understanding objectives going in...therefore, making the decision simple. In the end, for my case, the science balanced out (for my needs) and a couple of subjective items tipped the scale. Sorry...nothing really complex or revealing.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: PB13-Ultra x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24752 of 24760 Old 09-24-2016, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Hi Mike...

Please allow me to use an automotive analogy. Let's take a Mustang GT, Corvette, and Viper. From an objective perspective, one will certainly have the most HP to weight ratio, another the fastest 1/4 mile time, another the highest top speed, and another the greatest acceleration. Things to also consider may be dealer support, resale value, etc. In any case, most would agree that these are all great cars. But which factors determine which one is right for you and the one you would purchase? Then there's the "subjective" side to contemplate. Which one is most visually appealing, which one has the greatest fun factor, which one is the most ergonomic, which one the most comfortable for everyday use, which one has the most pleasing exhaust note, etc.

Now back to subwoofers: It was early on that I realized I was not looking for the sub with necessarily the best numbers...i.e. the greatest output (loudest) or the greatest extension (lowest FR)...but rather the combination of factors that would deliver the effect/sound/aesthetics/performance that were important for me. This is the epiphany I referred to in my previous post. The choice becomes much easier/simpler when these factors are known from the onset. So for me, the Ultra was the sub of choice by a relatively small margin.
Objectively speaking, in my 4800 cf space, all the subs have more than adequate output and headroom to easily pressurize my room and satisfy "my listening levels"...typically -20 to 0dB...never beyond reference. In terms of extension, I don't have the desire to chase single digits. My happy zone is in the 15Hz-20Hz region +/- 3dB which these subs easily achieved in my room. Then there's the tactile response of mid-bass slam. Again, all the subs provided all the sensation I needed and wanted...particularly in my second row which is on a riser. At this point, I don't have a desire for a nearfield sub or tactile transducers. In summary, all the subs met my objective performance requirements equally in that all excelled and exceeded them.

This then led me to my subjective decision elements. My priorities were in no particular order...

SQ/signature:
The Ultras replaced PB-2000's and probably had an advantage. I really like the sound signature of the 2K's. With the same DNA/Pedigree, the Ultra just had more of what appealed to me with the 2K's.

Size and dimension ratio:
Based on my ideal placement and location options below my projection screen, the Ultras dimensions just happen to "fit" better physically and aesthetically.

Fit, Finish, and Visual Appeal:
Friends and family voted in favor of the Ultra. I agree and admittedly a fanboy of the metal grill.

My decision was based on establishing/understanding objectives going in...therefore, making the decision simple. In the end, for my case, the science balanced out (for my needs) and a couple of subjective items tipped the scale. Sorry...nothing really complex or revealing.
Thank you very much, Gene! I like your analogy and the comparison was very helpful.
gene4ht likes this.
post #24753 of 24760 Old 09-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Great post Gene!
gene4ht and januza like this.

Theater Setup: 5.2.4 / ~3100 cu.ft. / Vaulted Ceiling
Source Player: Oppo BDP-103D Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8802A Amps: Emotiva XPA-5(Fronts/Surrounds) and BasX A500(Heights)
Fronts/Surrounds: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Bookshelf Center: Sonus Faber Venere Center Front/Rear Heights: Definitive Technology PM1000 Subwoofer: Dual SVS SB-2000
Speaker Wire: Monoprice CL2 12-AWG w/Bananas ICs: BlueJeanCables and Mediabridge
post #24754 of 24760 Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi Mike, I believe you have one PC13-Ultra. I am thinking to get one to replace the two subs behind sofa, is there sound difference between standing or lay on its side?
Not long ago I went to audition the XTZ 3x12 in the Netherlands, it sounded really good, but it's simply too big to be placed behind sofa, and the PC13-Ultra is just good size. I only have 45cm between the sofa and the wall.

Thank you Mike!

Jim
post #24755 of 24760 Old 09-25-2016, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1290 View Post
Hi Mike, I believe you have one PC13-Ultra. I am thinking to get one to replace the two subs behind sofa, is there sound difference between standing or lay on its side?
Not long ago I went to audition the XTZ 3x12 in the Netherlands, it sounded really good, but it's simply too big to be placed behind sofa, and the PC13-Ultra is just good size. I only have 45cm between the sofa and the wall.

Thank you Mike!

Jim
Hi Jim,

I currently have a pair of PC13's which I am mutually coupling behind my display. I had originally intended to lay one of the two on it's side, in another part of the room, but the aesthetics of it just bothered me. I didn't like the way it was going to look, and in my particular case decided that I would get more benefit by deploying the two PC's together. If I had been putting it behind a sofa, though, I wouldn't have had to worry about the appearance. It sounds as if one would just fit in the 45cm space you have.

From everything I was able to determine when I was researching this, there would be no difference at all in the sound from laying the sub on its side. Both SVS, and members who have actually tried this approach, confirmed that for me. Honestly, it makes sense that the sound wouldn't change, irrespective of the subwoofers orientation. It seems as if that might be a great solution for you. As others will advise, just keep the amplifier and DSP controls pointed up when you lay it on its side.

Regards,
Mike
gene4ht and Jim1290 like this.
post #24756 of 24760 Old 09-25-2016, 09:07 AM

^^^ Thank you Mike!
Now I am going to work on to get that PC13, will keep you posted.

Jim
gene4ht and mthomas47 like this.
post #24757 of 24760 Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm putting up a pair of PB13-Ultras up for sale in the classifieds section. Here's a link to the post if anyone's interested.
post #24758 of 24760 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post
I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm putting up a pair of PB13-Ultras up for sale in the classifieds section. Here's a link to the post if anyone's interested.
Hmmm
dla26 likes this.

Panasonic: PT-AE3000 Front Projector
Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1)
Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2)
Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6
SVS: PB13-Ultra x 2
Panasonic: DMP-BD85
post #24759 of 24760 Old Today, 01:15 AM

Hi Mike,
I believe that I mentioned to you before that L-Sound is the only source for us to purchase SVS subs here in Europe.
And I just found this while visiting their site! I kind of guessed this would happen as conflict of interest, but I somehow didn't expect this to happen so soon.
So now I will wait to see who would be the new official SVS source for Europe. Or perhaps I shall try to make a bit more room for XTZ 3x12, I heard this sub but not the PC13, and they are about same price over here. Just an update for you.

Jim
post #24760 of 24760 Old Today, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1290 View Post
Hi Mike,
I believe that I mentioned to you before that L-Sound is the only source for us to purchase SVS subs here in Europe.
And I just found this while visiting their site! I kind of guessed this would happen as conflict of interest, but I somehow didn't expect this to happen so soon.
So now I will wait to see who would be the new official SVS source for Europe. Or perhaps I shall try to make a bit more room for XTZ 3x12, I heard this sub but not the PC13, and they are about same price over here. Just an update for you.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the update and I'm sorry to hear that your best source for SVS has dried up. If someone else doesn't pick up the slack, that may affect a lot of people in Europe. I believe that SVS has been very popular overseas. Hopefully, if someone else doesn't carry SVS soon, you will be able to make the other alternative work in your space.

It's interesting to read the "explanations" when companies sever their business relationships. This statement seemed pretty self-serving, and I find the timing of the announcement particularly ironic with SVS about to release new flagship subs.

"SVS got new owners in 2011 which was signalled a departure from the good old enthusiast brand, to a far more commercially orientated approach. Product development stopped and we started to experience a higher rate of failure."

I'm sure that their Arendal Sound subs will be far superior.

Regards,
Mike

Looking at their subs, I see that their top model has a proprietary 13.8" driver with a 1000 watt amp. I know that represents their own innovative product development, but it sounds awfully familiar. I wish I could think what it reminds me of.

Last edited by mthomas47; Today at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread