Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 856 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4261Likes

Old 02-09-2017, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3104 Post(s)
Liked: 4275
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotwell View Post
I could use some insight as i am considering adding a second PC 13 Ultra. I built my dedicated theater 6 years ago and my layout with the screen wall will only allow the sub in the front corners, and I had to go with PC 13 due to footprint. This is all hidden behind a screen wall and a PB13 will not fit. The front of the theater is symmetrical and if i add a second sub up front in the other corner, it would have to be a PC13 as well due to footprint. If I add the second sub in the back, it needs to be a PB13 because i need it lower to the ground (PC13 would be to tall). The room is treated with the front wall completely linacoustic lined, base traps in front corners and linacoustic up to mid wall for other 3 walls.

I spoke with SVS and they said a second PC13 in the other front corner would be ideal, but this seems counter to most of what I have read. Option 2 is a PB13 in the opposite rear corner. So i kinnda need know before i purchase where to put that second sub as it determines PC13 vs PB13. Any insight is appreciated.
Hi,

I agree with Drunkpenguin (I like writing that name). This is pretty much a no-risk situation, with the return policy. With that said, though, my own inclination is the same as yours. I think that you are likely to get a better frequency response, and better bass envelopment as well, from a diagonal corners approach. So, even though the PB13 is a little pricier and a little heavier to maneuver (okay, a lot heavier) I think that it is a better choice. I would be surprised if you weren't pleased with the result.

Regards,
Mike
drunkpenguin and Louis Bartay like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
I could use some insight as i am considering adding a second PC 13 Ultra. I built my dedicated theater 6 years ago and my layout with the screen wall will only allow the sub in the front corners, and I had to go with PC 13 due to footprint. This is all hidden behind a screen wall and a PB13 will not fit. The front of the theater is symmetrical and if i add a second sub up front in the other corner, it would have to be a PC13 as well due to footprint. If I add the second sub in the back, it needs to be a PB13 because i need it lower to the ground (PC13 would be to tall). The room is treated with the front wall completely linacoustic lined, base traps in front corners and linacoustic up to mid wall for other 3 walls.

I spoke with SVS and they said a second PC13 in the other front corner would be ideal, but this seems counter to most of what I have read. Option 2 is a PB13 in the opposite rear corner. So i kinnda need know before i purchase where to put that second sub as it determines PC13 vs PB13. Any insight is appreciated.
What I would do is another sub crawl with your current PC13U. Move your subwoofer around and take various measurements, hopefully with REW (Room EQ Wizard), but a basic SPL meter should suffice as well. The thing about corner placements is that while they do often reinforce the bass response (loudness), it's not always the most desirable because sometimes this can create a heavy/boomy response instead of a nice, tactile one. On the flip side, if you're 100% movies, maybe pure SPL is what you're after instead. Earlier today, I came across a post that had a great comparison: Reference (accuracy) vs Response (loudness).

Perhaps in your crawls, one of the two potential locations will yield a better/smoother response at the MLP and help you make a better educated decision since not all rooms respond the same.

Hope this helps!
Travis
Louis Bartay likes this.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You could also lay the PC13 ultra on it's side at the back of the room

Old 02-09-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
You could also lay the PC13 ultra on it's side at the back of the room
I tried this in my room and had negative effects. The way my room is laid out corner placement is my only option. I have a stage in the front and 2 rows of seats with isles. At one point I tried laying my PC13 ultra on its side behind the 2nd row of seats but it didn't work out at all. Corner placement seems to give me the best low end which is really what I want.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
Old 02-10-2017, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Gentlemen. Today I am a man! I retire my trusty PB10 NSD.....

I now enter the ranks of the "shake the foundations" loving bassheads... with my purchase of the

PC 13 Ultra!!! This has been my dream sub for years and it's finally MINE!!! MY OWN!!! MY PRECIO... I mean, my... my pressurized room, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svs.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1957145  

Last edited by eightninesuited; 02-10-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I just wanted to let those that gave me advice on my PB1000's, I did the craw and found two places on each wall (in the middle or corners) so I moved the 2nd 1000 to the right wall corner with the driver firing towards the couch and left the other 1000 flanking my left tower and re-ran audisey . So far just listening to music of my Apple TV and the room sound like there is bass everywhere..
Thanks for helping again and again , everyone here is a credit to our hobby .
Have a great weekend and go see John Wick 2!
mthomas47, Matt2026 and Magellan55 like this.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1347 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricST View Post
Have a great weekend and go see John Wick 2!
Don't you mean, wait for it to come out and bluray and watch John Wick 2 in our comfy homes with SVS Subwoofers?
Alan P likes this.

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
Old 02-10-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post
Gentlemen. Today I am a man! I retire my trusty PB10 NSD.....

I now enter the ranks of the "shake the foundations" loving bassheads... with my purchase of the

PC 13 Ultra!!! This has been my dream sub for years and it's finally MINE!!! MY OWN!!! MY PRECIO... I mean, my... my pressurized room, of course.
Outstanding! Particularly coming from the PB10, you will want to hold onto your hat. Were you able to get it in your car's backseat?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Had to borrow a car. Mine would have been too small. This sucker is heavy. Not as heavy as the boxes but at 100 pounds it's still a multi person job.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Had to borrow a car. Mine would have been too small. This sucker is heavy. Not as heavy as the boxes but at 100 pounds it's still a multi person job.
You still reside in the GTA.....can't believe the time gap between posts(must be years??)...iirc....you switched from a Svs cylinder in your initial foray to the pb10...what made you return back to cylinder design....albeit the ultra is on another level from the pb10nsd...enjoy...and nice to see you posting again...

Ascend Acoustics Towers: STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso,
54" of Panny Bliss, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo BDP-103D,
Apple TV+ Giga 1800

Sub FA 18: (Santos RW)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!

Last edited by Billy p; 02-10-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Billy. Long time indeed. A lot happened. Got married, had a kid, bought a new house. I was out of the home theatre game for 7 years as I lived in a condo and other priorities came first.

Now I have a house and a basement that's mine to do with whatever I want.

I've always liked the cylinder by I think back in the day I was restricted to only one area of the room where the cylinder could go and it was a spot with a null.

Now I have placement flexibility and to be honest, cylinders are just a cool conversation piece - not to mention cheaper, especially in Canada.

Hope all is well with you. I need to replace a lot of equipment now. Lol.
Billy p likes this.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had to do the same thing with some speakers I purchased. Fortunately, I have a helpful friend with a van. Audio acquisition road trips are fun, although the loading and unloading isn't.
Billy p likes this.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Are there any negatives to running the PB-1000s on their side? It seems like the best place for subs for me will be on the left and right of my screen but I would need them to be on their side to fit, alternatively I would have to get the SB1000s
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy987 View Post
Are there any negatives to running the PB-1000s on their side? It seems like the best place for subs for me will be on the left and right of my screen but I would need them to be on their side to fit, alternatively I would have to get the SB1000s

Hi,

They should be perfectly fine on their sides. No negatives!

Regards,
Mike
Old 02-12-2017, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thanks, that's good to hear
mthomas47 likes this.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
Once a power switch breaks, it can't easily be repaired and should be replaced. Sourcing a switch isn't too hard - there are a few on Parts Express which would work.

But actually replacing the power switch on the older BASH amps is fairly involved surgery. The switch is glued to the plate and the switch and all of the AC connections are covered in black liquid RTV. The AC wires need to be cut, the switch needs to be hogged out of the plate, the AC wires need to be spliced back into the new switch along with fresh spades, and then adhesive and RTV needs to be re-applied to seal off the plate and secure the switch.

Unless the owner is experienced and qualified to perform this type of electrical work, it's best to take the amp to an electronics repair facility and have the switch replaced by a professional. That way you'll have peace of mind and know it's done right.
Thank you very much for the reply. I'll look into places that do it soon.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Ok what subwoofer setup would u take My room is 9x11 .I been thinking about getting dual pb-2000s.Or 1 Pb-16 Ultra.Money is not the problem.I can't Easily buy dual pb-2000s.Or 1 Pb-16 ultra.The problem i have is Is it even worth putting dual or A ultra in my 9x11 room.Now i don't plan on living in this room my whole life.But at the moment i say i will be having the setup in this room for a while.Not sure yet.Let me know what u guys would do.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph10704 View Post
Ok what subwoofer setup would u take My room is 9x11 .I been thinking about getting dual pb-2000s.Or 1 Pb-16 Ultra.Money is not the problem.I can't Easily buy dual pb-2000s.Or 1 Pb-16 ultra.The problem i have is Is it even worth putting dual or A ultra in my 9x11 room.Now i don't plan on living in this room my whole life.But at the moment i say i will be having the setup in this room for a while.Not sure yet.Let me know what u guys would do.
One PB 16 Ultra :-) my room is not much larger(12X14 carpet, low ceiling) and my PB 13 Ultra will shake the head rest on HT chairs. I FEEL the LFE during a movie and with the ports plugged music is accurate after I learned how to adjust the DSP.
mthomas47 likes this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
Old 02-12-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wait, you can afford a PB-16 Ultra and you're considering dual PB2000 for a room as small as 9x11? Ultra every time. It will pressurise your room, go deeper and have more dynamics in the bass. This is coming from an Ultra (13, not 16) owner who also owns the PB series. Unless you have unbeliable room nulls that you can't seem to EQ out, the Ultra 16 is the best choice here.
mthomas47 and Louis Bartay like this.

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Flight of the Phoenix Crash
7.2 SVS and Energy Reference system.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I went from a single PC13 to dual PC13's so have some experience on this topic. My room is sealed 25 foot long 12 foot wide.
Until I started measuring with REW I was never really happy. I tried front and back corners, behind MLP, 1/4 into the room, front corners. All over the place. Each location had positives and negatives, with 1/4 into the room (on opposite walls) sounding the best. But I could see them while watching movies, so I went with a compromise by moving them behind my AT screen, left one near left corner and right one just to the right of the center speaker.
With REW I could see how small moves along the front wall impacted the sound at MLP. Also moving the MLP forward and back makes a big difference (if you can do that)
Every room is different, without measuring your just guessing.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Hey guys, I am pretty sure this has been discussed, but not sure if a universally approved solution has been developed. I have a dual PB 1000. The blue LED's in front have become a nuisance that I want gone (or at least taped or something). My subs are diagonally placed front and back. The rear one, when turned on lights up my otherwise dark room. And the front one is a distraction when I am watching something. So, is there anything that you have done that has proved excellent, and yet is time tested, without actually ruining the sub? If there's a link that I have missed, please point me there as well.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
Hey guys, I am pretty sure this has been discussed, but not sure if a universally approved solution has been developed. I have a dual PB 1000. The blue LED's in front have become a nuisance that I want gone (or at least taped or something). My subs are diagonally placed front and back. The rear one, when turned on lights up my otherwise dark room. And the front one is a distraction when I am watching something. So, is there anything that you have done that has proved excellent, and yet is time tested, without actually ruining the sub? If there's a link that I have missed, please point me there as well.

Thanks.
So, I still wanted to see the lights go from red to blue on mine. Therefore, I used masking tape and black sharpie. It worked with several layers of masking tape and is now a very dim light that doesn't light up anything around it, but that I can still see to make sure my subs are on. (You'd maybe be surprised that they turn off in some movies if there is a lot of talking going on - for instance, I watched Mr Smith Goes to Washington, an old Mono soundtrack, and the sub turned itself off and didn't turn on for the rest of the film - no loss of sound quality, just a thing to notice).
Hellohowareyou likes this.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas

Currently watching on: BenQ W1070, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, Darbee, PS4, w/ Marantz SR6011, NAD C370 (for Front L/R), Outlaw Model 5000, SVS PB-2000, SVS PC-2000, a Def Tech CS-8080HD, 2 SM65 for L/R, 2 SM55 for sides, 2 PM1000 for rears, and 4 AW5500 for Atmos.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

This is another vote for the PB16. It will have much lower extension than the dual PB2000s, and will have more SPL below at least 30Hz, which is where most people really want it for movies. Then, when you do move to a larger room, you will already have one of your key building blocks in place, if you decide to go with dual subs. As for whether it's worth it to have big ported subs in small spaces, it depends on how much you like bass. Some people certainly think so.

Regards,
Mike
Louis Bartay likes this.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Thanks.
black tape with a pinhole

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-5010, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
Old 02-13-2017, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
black tape with a pinhole
That's what I do. Also Little squares of auto window tint (5% limo) work great.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 178
^ A 5% limo tint huh? This gives me a few ideas So where do you get a small scrap piece of the tint material? Ask your local installer?

Also on the black tap thing, should I be worried about paint/material peeling if I ever remove the tape?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
^ A 5% limo tint huh? This gives me a few ideas So where do you get a small scrap piece of the tint material? Ask your local installer?

Also on the black tap thing, should I be worried about paint/material peeling if I ever remove the tape?
I just went to a local installer and asked for a few scraps. I just use clear tape doubled over to hold it in place. For tape I use black electrical tape. Works well and removes easily.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 960
Quote:
You had PB13-Ultra in your room so you know what to expect. You love it and if can keep it back then you will still have it today. So get it again for get 16" ultra.
I will get one Ultra 16 over 2 PB-2000 as well.

@mthomas47 call me crazy but I have in 14x14 room with open side for kitchen dual Pluses so I thing I like some bass

Denon X6200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RB-81II's, RS-62II's
SVS 2x PC12-Pluses
Sony XBR65X850B, Oppo 203
Emotiva XPA-200
Apple Mac mini, Sony PS3,
Old 02-13-2017, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro124 View Post
You had PB13-Ultra in your room so you know what to expect. You love it and if can keep it back then you will still have it today. So get it again for get 16" ultra.
I will get one Ultra 16 over 2 PB-2000 as well.

@mthomas47 call me crazy but I have in 14x14 room with open side for kitchen dual Pluses so I thing I like some bass
You are right i just have to live with the fact that i love bass lmao.And if i had to put a PB-16 Ultra in my room then ok .And my room is 9x11 lmao.I had the PB-13 Ultra and that was great subwoofer.But yeah lets see what the pb-16 ultra can do for my RF-7 II lmao
Louis Bartay likes this.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Just wanted to chime in and say that after almost 8 months without my HT, I am newly in love with my SB-2000! I haven't even challenged it more than the DTS-Master tracks of the Indiana Jones trilogy on Blu, and DD DirecTV Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but man, does it fill the room.
Louis Bartay and Matt2026 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000