Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 865 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4425Likes

post #25921 of 26503 Old 03-15-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
I want to learn how to use REW and what do you have to purchase to measure and look at the graph?

Last night we rented the Marvel Bluray "Dr. Strange" WOW my SVS got a work out during this movie. Great sound track for auditioning your SVS and HT speakers. My wife commented I can feel and experience the movie and the voices are not so loud it hurts my ears. I should have purchased this PB 13 Ultra a lot sooner.
Congrats on the PB13. I remember you always having the Klipsch subs and always talking about your friends SVS. What did he upgrade too?

5.2 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25922 of 26503 Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Congrats on the PB13. I remember you always having the Klipsch subs and always talking about your friends SVS. What did he upgrade too?
He never got the chance too. sigh... He had Stage IV Liver cancer etc etc (agent orange Vietnam USMC ) he had battled for several years, he passed away 4 weeks ago He was going to go with TWO PB 16 Ultra. He had a Huge room that had a tall ceiling with 4 Klipsch KLF-20/C7 (Crites Ti) a Velodyne 15" sub and one PB 13 Ultra. He needed more then one to pressurise that room looking back now VS how it sounds over here..he had great bass on Music for sure. Now... it's in a 10X14 room, with a low ceiling and carpeted now, and the volume gain is a LOT lower now. YOU FEEL/EXPERIENCE Bluray movies now. I also noticed how musical it is, I am not going so far the volume now ( YEA) of my AVR but I did ADD gain to the center and rears , huge difference in everything now, same at LOUD volume 100/110 peak on a movie for a few minutes I do follow the listening chart that came with my SPL meter 85/100 dB on a movie and I still FEEL the LFE. YEA My wife noticed this too a major PLUS. I keep waiting for my 2008 55" 2D to give it up and look at a 4K, Grand Son wants a PS4. IIRC it will work for a 4K not sure about ATMOS or 3D. Not sure about looking at 3D all the time and wearing the glasses over my "Glasses"

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3

Last edited by Louis Bartay; 03-15-2017 at 04:21 PM.
post #25923 of 26503 Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
IIRC it will work for a 4K not sure about ATMOS or 3D. Not sure about looking at 3D all the time and wearing the glasses over my "Glasses"
If you have any interest in 3D TV's, act fast. Nobody is supporting 3D on TV's in the US in 2017 (still have it on front projectors), unless Sony continues to sell the Z9D. I bought a 2016 OLED just to grab a 3D TV before they stop making them. Don't watch it too often, but occasionally there's a movie that isn't a complete experience unless you watch it in 3D. They also make 3D glasses "clip-ons" for your specs :-)
Louis Bartay and Matt2026 like this.

HT: OLED65E6P, STR-DN1050, UBP-X800, Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Internet limited to 3MB DSL, so no HD / UHD streaming for me :(
Long live physical media!

post #25924 of 26503 Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 16410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magellan55 View Post
SVS speaker wire? I don't recall anyone mentioning it on this thread. I personally use Monoprice 14 gauge speaker wire, works great and tons of good reviews. Step up to 12 gauge is probably even better.
This is what I use at Amazon. 12 gauge and oxygen free.

Why use oxygen free speaker wire? Opinions differ...
Louis Bartay likes this.

Regards, Ken (Retired)
9.1) Denon 4520CI; Samsung 55H8000 & BD-F7500; R&LRS/L/R SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH & SS Polk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nakamichi RE-2, CDC-4A, CR7A, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #25925 of 26503 Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
PB13 Ultra's

Hey Everyone,

My Father is going to take delivery of his first pair of SVS Pb13 Ultras thanks to a fellow forum member letting it go for a very reasonable price. My father was intended to put one in each front corner of his room, where his current dual MFW15's sit. Now, if it were me, I'd find a way to place the MFW15's near field, possibly being the couches, but I think for WAF purposes, he's not going to do that. He did throw around the idea of co-locating the subs in those corners, as he has room for dual's in the corner. With that being said, for aesthetics's purposes, he intended to do that by having one PB13 + one MFW15 side by side in each corner. Has anyone co-located subs like this before? Where you have two different models/manufacturer subwoofers co-located together? They're both ported, but obviously have different tuning frequencies. What's the worse case scenario here? I'm guessing the other option is putting two of the PB13's together in one corner co-located, and putting the pair of MFW15's in the other corner. It'd look weird from a proportionality standpoint, but not sure if my mother would have an issue with that.

On a similar note, has anyone co-located two ported but different model SVS subs and had success? I currently have a PB12-NSD and a PB12+/2. I was thinking about co locating the two in a nearfield corner. If I had space on the opposite corner, I'd definitely split them up, but that's not an option at this point. Anyone have any feedback about doing something like this? If so, were any measurements done?
post #25926 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 3365 Post(s)
Liked: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiprnt View Post
Hey Everyone,

My Father is going to take delivery of his first pair of SVS Pb13 Ultras thanks to a fellow forum member letting it go for a very reasonable price. My father was intended to put one in each front corner of his room, where his current dual MFW15's sit. Now, if it were me, I'd find a way to place the MFW15's near field, possibly being the couches, but I think for WAF purposes, he's not going to do that. He did throw around the idea of co-locating the subs in those corners, as he has room for dual's in the corner. With that being said, for aesthetics's purposes, he intended to do that by having one PB13 + one MFW15 side by side in each corner. Has anyone co-located subs like this before? Where you have two different models/manufacturer subwoofers co-located together? They're both ported, but obviously have different tuning frequencies. What's the worse case scenario here? I'm guessing the other option is putting two of the PB13's together in one corner co-located, and putting the pair of MFW15's in the other corner. It'd look weird from a proportionality standpoint, but not sure if my mother would have an issue with that.

On a similar note, has anyone co-located two ported but different model SVS subs and had success? I currently have a PB12-NSD and a PB12+/2. I was thinking about co locating the two in a nearfield corner. If I had space on the opposite corner, I'd definitely split them up, but that's not an option at this point. Anyone have any feedback about doing something like this? If so, were any measurements done?
Hi,

Those are interesting questions. If your father lives in the Tampa area, I know whom he bought the subs from, and they were a very good buy. I looked up a review of the MFW-15's, and they give up a great deal of low frequency response to the PB13's. My advice to your father would be similar to yours--to stack (or collocate) the two older subs behind him, in an attempt to more nearly equal the low frequency output of the PB13's. Failing the ability to do that, I probably wouldn't use them at all.

If the option to use them nearfield just isn't in the cards, I don't see any harm in trying the MFW-15's on top of the PB13's in the front corners of the room. Mutual coupling, as I understand it, occurs where the frequency response of two subwoofers is very similar (or identical). Where the frequency response is quite different, I'm not sure how effective the subs will be in reinforcing each other. Something I would definitely not do is to pair the older subs in one corner, and the PB13's in the other. The disparity in performance between the two pairs would be very significant.

Frankly, my advice would be to simply try the Ultras for a while, and enjoy the upgrade. They may give him just the additional low frequency extension he was looking for. If he is not exceeding their output capabilities, by over-boosting them with high volumes (which is pretty unlikely), that will give him a much better chance for improved sound quality. Once he has a good listening baseline established, he can always try adding in the two MFW15's, but I am skeptical that the combination will work as well as the Ultra's playing by themselves.

We all want to utilize/re-purpose older audio equipment, when we add new equipment. But sometimes, that sort of defeats the purpose of adding the new equipment, in the first place. More, mismatched subs, is not always (or even very often) preferable to a sufficient number of matched subs. And, his Ultra's may very well be sufficient, in this case. I know that there are exceptions to that general statement, regarding matching subs, particularly where someone has measuring and DSP capabilities. But, as a general statement, I think it's reasonably valid.

As for collocating a PB12-NSD and a PB12+/2, you would just have to try it to see what you think. You already know that the latter sub is more powerful, and that ideally you would want to have it further away, with the PB12-NSD nearfield. But, the theory of what works best, and what you actually observe when you try something, may be different. So, you will just have to give it a shot.

Regards,
Mike
post #25927 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 216
If I recently purchased a PC12+ can I purchase another one at some point to go dual and get the dual discount even though they are not purchased together?

Samsung PN59D8000 | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio via OTA | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Media PC w/ Plex server & Plex Media Player
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Sub SVS PC12-Plus x 2
post #25928 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
If I recently purchased a PC12+ can I purchase another one at some point to go dual and get the dual discount even though they are not purchased together?
You could verify this with SVS, as they might sometimes agree to slightly extend the trial period for something like this. But, I believe that the dual sub discount is only valid within 45-days of purchase. You will get a return buyer discount of 5% on future purchases, but I don't believe you would be able to use both discounts on the addition of the second PC12+, within the trial period.
post #25929 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You could verify this with SVS, as they might sometimes agree to slightly extend the trial period for something like this. But, I believe that the dual sub discount is only valid within 45-days of purchase. You will get a return buyer discount of 5% on future purchases, but I don't believe you would be able to use both discounts on the addition of the second PC12+, within the trial period.
Turns out dual sub discount is good for one year and I can also use 5% discount which I guess makes sense since I used it when purchasing the single PC12+. So would save $174. Would have to compare to any PC12+ that shows up in the outlet. Going to attempt REW first to get a better sense of what's happening at different positions on our sectional sofa and then decide. I of course could get completely shot down by the boss as a second one would be in plain site so we'll see.
mthomas47 and Louis Bartay like this.

Samsung PN59D8000 | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio via OTA | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Media PC w/ Plex server & Plex Media Player
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Sub SVS PC12-Plus x 2
post #25930 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
He never got the chance too. sigh... He had Stage IV Liver cancer etc etc (agent orange Vietnam USMC ) he had battled for several years, he passed away 4 weeks ago He was going to go with TWO PB 16 Ultra. He had a Huge room that had a tall ceiling with 4 Klipsch KLF-20/C7 (Crites Ti) a Velodyne 15" sub and one PB 13 Ultra. He needed more then one to pressurise that room looking back now VS how it sounds over here..he had great bass on Music for sure. Now... it's in a 10X14 room, with a low ceiling and carpeted now, and the volume gain is a LOT lower now. YOU FEEL/EXPERIENCE Bluray movies now. I also noticed how musical it is, I am not going so far the volume now ( YEA) of my AVR but I did ADD gain to the center and rears , huge difference in everything now, same at LOUD volume 100/110 peak on a movie for a few minutes I do follow the listening chart that came with my SPL meter 85/100 dB on a movie and I still FEEL the LFE. YEA My wife noticed this too a major PLUS. I keep waiting for my 2008 55" 2D to give it up and look at a 4K, Grand Son wants a PS4. IIRC it will work for a 4K not sure about ATMOS or 3D. Not sure about looking at 3D all the time and wearing the glasses over my "Glasses"
So sorry for your loss. I'm sure he's smiling down while you thump that Ultra
Louis Bartay and Magellan55 like this.

5.2 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RF7II's, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Pro Panamax 5300PM
post #25931 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
So sorry for your loss. I'm sure he's smiling down while you thump that Ultra

I hope so......... As he jammed it in here and shook his head and said "you can't take IT with you " and was looking at a pair of PB 16 Ultra and if that did shake the room like his old one does in my room he said he would charge 4 SVS 16's on his VISA and smiled at me. He was HAPPY to see the look on my face after he ran the YAPO room correction program then we tuned the volume up and down for different formats being played by feel/sound. Then he looked at the Danley DTS 10 and seperate amp for it. Klipsch fan member here "Coyote" has this sub I want to experience it ( way to big and expensive for me and my tiny room) but one or two of those might do the trick. http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danle...spec-sheet.pdf

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...ty-subs/dts10/ check out the other horn subs they make.
mthomas47, basshead81 and Matt2026 like this.

Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #25932 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I hope so......... As he jammed it in here and shook his head and said "you can't take IT with you " and was looking at a pair of PB 16 Ultra and if that did shake the room like his old one does in my room he said he would charge 4 SVS 16's on his VISA and smiled at me. He was HAPPY to see the look on my face after he ran the YAPO room correction program then we tuned the volume up and down for different formats being played by feel/sound. Then he looked at the Danley DTS 10 and seperate amp for it. Klipsch fan member here "Coyote" has this sub I want to experience it ( way to big and expensive for me and my tiny room) but one or two of those might do the trick. http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danle...spec-sheet.pdf

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/produ...ty-subs/dts10/ check out the other horn subs they make.
It's nice that you have that last memory of your friend. Music and HT systems are something we can all share. My audio system certainly makes me happy, and I remind myself, sometimes, how lucky I am to have it.
gene4ht, Alan P, antiprnt and 5 others like this.
post #25933 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 1367
Quote:
My audio system certainly makes me happy, and I remind myself, sometimes, how lucky I am to have it.
I believe we all make our own luck! If you can afford an SVS sub congrats to everyone for your success in life!

Just 'cause you're right doesn't mean I'm wrong
post #25934 of 26503 Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Hi,

Those are interesting questions. If your father lives in the Tampa area, I know whom he bought the subs from, and they were a very good buy. I looked up a review of the MFW-15's, and they give up a great deal of low frequency response to the PB13's. My advice to your father would be similar to yours--to stack (or collocate) the two older subs behind him, in an attempt to more nearly equal the low frequency output of the PB13's. Failing the ability to do that, I probably wouldn't use them at all.

If the option to use them nearfield just isn't in the cards, I don't see any harm in trying the MFW-15's on top of the PB13's in the front corners of the room. Mutual coupling, as I understand it, occurs where the frequency response of two subwoofers is very similar (or identical). Where the frequency response is quite different, I'm not sure how effective the subs will be in reinforcing each other. Something I would definitely not do is to pair the older subs in one corner, and the PB13's in the other. The disparity in performance between the two pairs would be very significant.

Frankly, my advice would be to simply try the Ultras for a while, and enjoy the upgrade. They may give him just the additional low frequency extension he was looking for. If he is not exceeding their output capabilities, by over-boosting them with high volumes (which is pretty unlikely), that will give him a much better chance for improved sound quality. Once he has a good listening baseline established, he can always try adding in the two MFW15's, but I am skeptical that the combination will work as well as the Ultra's playing by themselves.

We all want to utilize/re-purpose older audio equipment, when we add new equipment. But sometimes, that sort of defeats the purpose of adding the new equipment, in the first place. More, mismatched subs, is not always (or even very often) preferable to a sufficient number of matched subs. And, his Ultra's may very well be sufficient, in this case. I know that there are exceptions to that general statement, regarding matching subs, particularly where someone has measuring and DSP capabilities. But, as a general statement, I think it's reasonably valid.

As for collocating a PB12-NSD and a PB12+/2, you would just have to try it to see what you think. You already know that the latter sub is more powerful, and that ideally you would want to have it further away, with the PB12-NSD nearfield. But, the theory of what works best, and what you actually observe when you try something, may be different. So, you will just have to give it a shot.

Regards,
Mike
I appreciate the detailed reply Mike. I may give the MFW coupling idea a shot and see where that goes. He has a 7200WA with Audyssey, and from what I've read, having a less capable sub connected while audyssey does the calibration may not be a good idea. I intend to plug in the pb13 ultra's, get them dialed in EQ and gain wise, then integrate the MFW's utilizing the EQ that settings that was used for the PB13. It seems like the best route to go, and if it doesnt work out, I can just unplug the MFW's and get them outta there.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #25935 of 26503 Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiprnt View Post
I appreciate the detailed reply Mike. I may give the MFW coupling idea a shot and see where that goes. He has a 7200WA with Audyssey, and from what I've read, having a less capable sub connected while audyssey does the calibration may not be a good idea. I intend to plug in the pb13 ultra's, get them dialed in EQ and gain wise, then integrate the MFW's utilizing the EQ that settings that was used for the PB13. It seems like the best route to go, and if it doesnt work out, I can just unplug the MFW's and get them outta there.
You are very welcome! That does sound like the best approach.
post #25936 of 26503 Old 03-18-2017, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys,

I have dual PC-12's in my small 12x11x8 dedicated theater room. I've found positions for them that don't have an large dips and I'm happy with the results. The only thing I would like to sort out is I get a lot of distortion between 10-20hz when listening at or close to reference volumes (room gain?). I can eliminate almost all of it with the room gain compensation settings on the PC-12's. However, I have to use the most aggressive settings "40hz" and "12db". This is also chipping off the 20-30hz range which I would like to avoid. My current receiver doesn't have any manual EQ options, although I doubt it would have 10-20hz settings even if it did, and the PEQ settings on the PC-12's don't go that low either. So what are my options to tame the 10-20hz range without knocking the other frequencies? I'm looking at getting a UMIK-1 and minidsp 2x4 but wanted to ask if that's an appropriate solution and see if there are any other options.

Thanks in advance.
post #25937 of 26503 Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxer View Post
Hey guys,

I have dual PC-12's in my small 12x11x8 dedicated theater room. I've found positions for them that don't have an large dips and I'm happy with the results. The only thing I would like to sort out is I get a lot of distortion between 10-20hz when listening at or close to reference volumes (room gain?). I can eliminate almost all of it with the room gain compensation settings on the PC-12's. However, I have to use the most aggressive settings "40hz" and "12db". This is also chipping off the 20-30hz range which I would like to avoid. My current receiver doesn't have any manual EQ options, although I doubt it would have 10-20hz settings even if it did, and the PEQ settings on the PC-12's don't go that low either. So what are my options to tame the 10-20hz range without knocking the other frequencies? I'm looking at getting a UMIK-1 and minidsp 2x4 but wanted to ask if that's an appropriate solution and see if there are any other options.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe something is rattling in your room. You'll get lots of room gain in a small room but it shouldn't come across as distortion - just "heavy" compared to the rest of the frequency spectrum (which most bass-heads would appreciate!).
Louis Bartay likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P, STR-DN1050, UBP-X800, Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Internet limited to 3MB DSL, so no HD / UHD streaming for me :(
Long live physical media!
post #25938 of 26503 Old 03-18-2017, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broxer View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

You are a hardy soul to listen at Reference volumes in a 1050^3 room. Even the film mixers, who I have seen post on the issue, typically drop back to about -5 MV, or a little less, when watching their own movies, in their home theaters. That is due to the sound reinforcing attribute of listening in relatively smaller home theaters. I'm sure that you are right about potentially getting an enormous amount of very low frequency room gain. I'm jealous!

Measuring your frequency response with REW (and a UMIK-1) and making specific corrections with a miniDSP, would definitely be a good way to go, in my opinion.

Regards,
Mike
Louis Bartay and Broxer like this.
post #25939 of 26503 Old 03-18-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 991 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Hi Louis...my condolences for the loss of your friend. It's our friendships that many of our life's good memories are built upon. I would be guessing but I think he intentionally constructed a bridge from the Klipsch owner's thread to this one for you. So, let me also officially welcome you to the SVS owner's thread.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-NR636 (5.2.2) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #25940 of 26503 Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 100
PC13-Ultra & Port Plugging

I am very new to subwoofers and will have a PC13-Ultra delivered tomorrow. I read thru the manual and read a review or two, but I am still a little uncertain as to how I should proceed with port plugging. Is there a consensus on the best port configuration for the PC13-Ultra ? One review favored a single port plug and so I was thinking I would start off using a single plug... but does it matter which port is plugged ?

Any other tips for set up would be very much appreciated. I have a Marantz AV7702 pre-pro and will be using Audyssey for EQ and then will probably reset all crossovers to 80 Hz and also check and re-adjust levels using a high quality SPL meter. I've read that auto EQ will usually set the subwoofer level/trim too low.

Sean
post #25941 of 26503 Old 03-19-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 1409
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I am very new to subwoofers and will have a PC13-Ultra delivered tomorrow. I read thru the manual and read a review or two, but I am still a little uncertain as to how I should proceed with port plugging. Is there a consensus on the best port configuration for the PC13-Ultra ? One review favored a single port plug and so I was thinking I would start off using a single plug... but does it matter which port is plugged ?

Any other tips for set up would be very much appreciated. I have a Marantz AV7702 pre-pro and will be using Audyssey for EQ and then will probably reset all crossovers to 80 Hz and also check and re-adjust levels using a high quality SPL meter. I've read that auto EQ will usually set the subwoofer level/trim too low.
I run my PC13's wide open. No ports plugged. You can run 1 port plugged. Try it out. Just remember to adjust the amp to the correct setting.

Audyssey sets things to large and plays with the xo setting. SPL is not the only adjustment Audyssey makes. Be careful.
Louis Bartay likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #25942 of 26503 Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

I use a one into two RCA splitter on the back of my PC 13 Ultra and excite each side of the line in RCA. I have always done this on my old 2004 Klipsch Sub 12's they advised it in the manual. IIRC I read a post here that one of SVS Tech's advised a memeber here to do the same for his bright sounding room.

To be honest before I could purchase the new splitter with larger wires I was only plugged into the right side RCA input and I could Not hear any difference. I will try this again when I download REW and purchase a USB mic made for this and see if there is a difference in the REW graph. YMMV .........my room is very small and easy to pressurise so my AVR room correction program (YAPO) has it set a LOT lower (-10) from where it was set from my friends huge room ( -3 and sometimes he would manually go to 0). Good listening the PC 13 Ultra is very musical sub and I am still playing with plugging the ports etc. Right now it is set for all open and I love it.
Mongo171 likes this.

Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #25943 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
I'm sure this has been asked on here 1000 times but does anyone have any fixes for they're cylinder subs walking? I recently swapped the positions of my two subs to put the more powerful one further away and now that it's getting a slightly stronger signal it moves during bass heavy movies. It's a PC Ultra from '07 so it only has 3 posts/feet rather than the 4 that my slightly newer PC12+ has. I've thought about getting the Soundpath isolation feet for it but that would cost me close to $100 and I'd lose my tactile feeling... or would I?

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7009
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
Sony BDP-S7200
post #25944 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I'm sure this has been asked on here 1000 times but does anyone have any fixes for they're cylinder subs walking? I recently swapped the positions of my two subs to put the more powerful one further away and now that it's getting a slightly stronger signal it moves during bass heavy movies. It's a PC Ultra from '07 so it only has 3 posts/feet rather than the 4 that my slightly newer PC12+ has. I've thought about getting the Soundpath isolation feet for it but that would cost me close to $100 and I'd lose my tactile feeling... or would I?
The SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation system will cure the walking PC issue. A 4-pack costs $49.99. You can install them with or without the base plate. There is some loss of tactile energy transmitted to the flooring with any isolation product like this.

A small section of carpeting or a section of anti-fatigue mat under the base plate will help too.
Magellan55 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #25945 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
USMC
Semper Fidelis.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #25946 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We extend the duals discount for up to a year after the 1st subwoofer is purchased.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #25947 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
You have the same exact sub as myself (original PC Ultra), and I added the Soundpath feet. I don't believe in any snake-oil type products, but these things helped a lot. Will cure your walking problem for sure. You won't loose any tactile fee, just annoying vibrations around the house. I won't own another sub without these things in the future.
post #25948 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation system will cure the walking PC issue. A 4-pack costs $49.99. You can install them with or without the base plate. There is some loss of tactile energy transmitted to the flooring with any isolation product like this.

A small section of carpeting or a section of anti-fatigue mat under the base plate will help too.
I recently traded up from PC-2000 to PC12+. To keep comparison similar I purchased soundpath feet for the PC12+ and never tried without it. I don't know how much room rattling/buzzing has been prevented but I have come to realize that I actually like the tactile feeling transmitted through the floor (hardwood). I still get some of that but don't really want to limit it. I'm now wondering if I should take off the Soundpath feet. Not sure if the stock small rubber feet I removed would stick on again though. Can I get extra stock rubber feet from SVS if I so chose to try without the Soundpath feet?

post #25949 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I recently traded up from PC-2000 to PC12+. To keep comparison similar I purchased soundpath feet for the PC12+ and never tried without it. I don't know how much room rattling/buzzing has been prevented but I have come to realize that I actually like the tactile feeling transmitted through the floor (hardwood). I still get some of that but don't really want to limit it. I'm now wondering if I should take off the Soundpath feet. Not sure if the stock small rubber feet I removed would stick on again though. Can I get extra stock rubber feet from SVS if I so chose to try without the Soundpath feet?
Sure we can send you some of the small OE adhesive feet. Just contact us at custservice@svsound.com
Louis Bartay likes this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #25950 of 26503 Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post

Thanks a lot Ed, I remember you being very helpful when I bought my sub (used!), and I was very grateful. I imagine that it would make sense to use the feet on both my subs and not just one. Could I use them on just the one?

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7009
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
Sony BDP-S7200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page