Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 870 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4094Likes
post #26071 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoJ View Post
Sounds like my SB-2000 subs are somewhat different: hissing only appears after AC power is disconnected and later reconnected.
And that is random, subs may start in quiet "mode" and they will stay like that until next AC startup. Or sub or both subs may start in hissing "mode" and nothing helps except turning AC power off and trying again.

Also: if I use 12V trigger, subs (if they started AC startup in quiet mode) will still remain quiet after they are turned off/on with 12V line. And same also with using auto turn off function.

And: hissing volume is always the same. With hissing AC startup, I can hear it 3 meters away. And with quiet AC startup sub is very quiet, I can only hear hissing with ear next to subwoofer cone.

So my problem is "fixed" if I get the subs to start in quiet mode and never turn their AC off. But I don't want leave their AC connected when the other system is turned off, there is something about switching power supply circuits inside a wooden cabinet that makes me nervous...
It sounds like there is no point in getting a replacement amp as it will likely be the same.
My subs still have only a feint hiss after being on all night.

I don't really fancy having to cycle the sub on and off to get it to be quiet so will try always on for a while.
My old Rel sub was always left on and it did no harm so fingers crossed.
I think I prefer a slightly higher electric bill rather than having a hiss.
Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26072 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
My OPPO puts out 2.1V. Amp needs 2.0V for full output.

A "y" connector might help.
My Yamaha HD AVR has ONE RCA sub and it's 2.0 volts and I run two subs from a splitter on the back of the AVR and use splitters on both of my subs. I just noticed some the members posting they have 12 volts......... I thought it was a typo at first thinking they meant 1.2 volts. I wonder what is the PB 13 Ultra volt specs +/- to run correctly? Time to Google

My warranty replacement amp from last week failed, this time the DSP display comes ON but no sound. I talked to Jack at SVS and they are sending another free amp. I tested the driver again and it's still about 4.4 ohm and a 9 volt battery will make the cone move. This is factory spec per the SVS Customer Service Manager (Jack) This is amp #6 to have issues in 10 years.The last amp had MELTED parts that splattered small bits on the white fiber insulation, I also wonder if this white insulation is fire retardant????

This amp warranty has two years remaining as I just purchased this SVS PB 13 Ultra from the 2nd owner ( best friend James ) and I met Greg the original owner and listened to it at his house years ago, so I know how this SVS was adjusted etc. The down side of purchasing used and no 5 year warranty. I knew it was eating a amp every two years on average so when I got it (great deal). I figured the last amp lasted James almost 3 years I thought it was OK, it lasted several more weeks after I got it and now that replacement has failed in less then two weeks SIGH

So glad SVS Customer Service is great to deal with ....... I talked to Jack Gilvey C.S. Manager when I told him what this amp was doing and wonder did I have a defective driver he stopped me and said a new amp is on he way. As I was going to check the driver for him first. He said no need as these drivers are near Bullet Proof. I was correct as I checked it, glad (retired) I don't have $599.00 cash for a new driver. I had to save for months to buy this sub.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #26073 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello,

Do you know where I can find spare screw for my SB12-NSD ? I damaged the head of a screw...when I wanted to change the back plate for my earlier issue ?

I didn't do any test yet, probably this week end.

Thanks

post #26074 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooky View Post
Hello,

Do you know where I can find spare screw for my SB12-NSD ? I damaged the head of a screw...when I wanted to change the back plate for my earlier issue ?

Thanks
You know who to call...!

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #26075 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
I have quite a few, but unfortunately, I am using them!

Denon AVR-4520CI
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RB-61 II, RB-51 II, RB-10
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203
TiVo Roamio, sometimes buzzy Samsung Plasma
post #26076 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
You know who to call...!

Is it standard screws ?
post #26077 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
Quote:

Is it standard screws ?
I think he just means to contact SVS and they will send you some. Meanwhile it shouldn't hurt to operate without one of the screws. I don't know that you could find comparable screws at a hardware store. Maybe, but these look fairly specialized to me.

Regards,
Mike
post #26078 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Is it standard screws ?
On my newer PC13-Ultra, it was a torx screw.I want to say T-15. Older subs might use a different type of screw.

post #26079 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I think he just means to contact SVS and they will send you some. Meanwhile it shouldn't hurt to operate without one of the screws. I don't know that you could find comparable screws at a hardware store. Maybe, but these look fairly specialized to me.

Regards,
Mike
Ok thank you, i'm going to try to contact SVS, but I hope they can send screw to France....
mthomas47 likes this.
post #26080 of 26099 Unread 04-20-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooky View Post

is it standard screws ?
i think he just means to contact svs and they will send you some. Meanwhile it shouldn't hurt to operate without one of the screws. I don't know that you could find comparable screws at a hardware store. Maybe, but these look fairly specialized to me.

Regards,
mike
ghostbusters!!!
mthomas47 and drh3b like this.
post #26081 of 26099 Unread 04-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Ok I got my 2nd SB-1000 and I have a few thoughts..............
So they're not symmetrical as I can't really do it, my AVR doesn't have sub-EQ and I don't feel like getting a Minidsp just yet.........can I just re-run my AMCACC and be ok?

I do have a Mic for running REW and it was an adventure getting my FR Graph as smooth as possible by adjusting phase on my new sub. (As for Sub distance I just averaged the distance of both subs)

How much of an improvement would one of those Owens Corning bass trap thingies give me? I bought some of those Bass Traps you see on Amazon but some folks say they aren't really for sub-bass more fore the 400hz range (well that's a waste).........

It seems like when I get down on the floor my subs sound so much better than when I'm sitting, do I just need to crank up the volume?

Lastly someone said not to use the LFE input on the back of the sub, just to use a generic one as you don't want it to "just" be for LFE or something like that..............though they do come on when I set it to "Stereo" (As I only have a 2.2 setup)
Also thanks again to SVS for the free t-shirt!

Last edited by Kingcarcas; 04-21-2017 at 07:32 PM.
post #26082 of 26099 Unread 04-23-2017, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After considering DIY for subs I ended up going with dual PB-1000's to start, they're on the way. Should be quite a difference from my single ML Dynamo 300.

The upgrade program is what sold me, and the high marks for customer service. Looking forward to climbing the sub ladder with SVS.

---
LG OLED65C6P
Oppo 203
PS4 Pro
Denon X4300H
Klipsch RP-250F - RP-450C Front Stage / Onkyo Satellites / Dynamo 300
post #26083 of 26099 Unread 04-23-2017, 04:02 AM

Ok I changed the back plate of my SB12 (see problem previous page) and it look like it's working well. No more loud sound.

I just have to find spare screws.

Thanks a lot guys for your help !
post #26084 of 26099 Unread 04-23-2017, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
Ok I got my 2nd SB-1000 and I have a few thoughts..............
So they're not symmetrical as I can't really do it, my AVR doesn't have sub-EQ and I don't feel like getting a Minidsp just yet.........can I just re-run my AMCACC and be ok?

I do have a Mic for running REW and it was an adventure getting my FR Graph as smooth as possible by adjusting phase on my new sub. (As for Sub distance I just averaged the distance of both subs)

How much of an improvement would one of those Owens Corning bass trap thingies give me? I bought some of those Bass Traps you see on Amazon but some folks say they aren't really for sub-bass more fore the 400hz range (well that's a waste).........

It seems like when I get down on the floor my subs sound so much better than when I'm sitting, do I just need to crank up the volume?

Lastly someone said not to use the LFE input on the back of the sub, just to use a generic one as you don't want it to "just" be for LFE or something like that..............though they do come on when I set it to "Stereo" (As I only have a 2.2 setup)
Also thanks again to SVS for the free t-shirt!
You should be good enough just rerunning your AVR's EQ - it will take the combined output of the two subs at your MLP and EQ it with your speakers. And LFE is the right input on the sub; the instructions from SVS probably say to do that. Are you referring to the LFE output on the back of the AVR? That will work fine as well as long as you set your speakers to "small" in the AVR setup. If you set them to "large", the crossover isn't used (as least not on my Sony), and no L/R channel signal goes to the LFE output.

Given you said the subs sound better on the floor, you might be sitting in a vertical null. You can check by running REW with the mic at various heights. If you do find a vertical null, you could "fill" it by raising one of your subs off the floor, maybe 2-3 feet. Should be easy to do with an SB1000, just set it on a table or box, since they aren't that heavy. At least give it a try.
mthomas47 likes this.

HT: OLED65E6P, STR-DN1050, UBP-X800, Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Internet limited to 3MB DSL, so no HD / UHD streaming for me :(
Long live physical media!

Last edited by Magellan55; 04-23-2017 at 07:27 AM.
post #26085 of 26099 Unread 04-23-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Ok I changed the back plate of my SB12 (see problem previous page) and it look like it's working well. No more loud sound.

I just have to find spare screws.

Thanks a lot guys for your help !
I just replaced my amp on my PB 13 Ultra and I have extra screws that hold the plate amp in the cabinet. I can mail a few to you but you can go to a hardware store with one to match. It does not matter if it's a Phillips or Torx drive as long as the screw is the same diameter,length and thread twist as these are wood screws. That is if your model SVS has the same size amp (dia of holes in the plate) screws as my PB 13 Ultra.

A BIG thanks to Jack at SVS after I installed the replacement amp, I called him and he walked me thru hooking it up and going thru the menu to make sure I understand how to use all the adjustments in the DSP. Jack was very patient with me and was NOT in a hurry to get off the phone and explained to me how everything works. I have owned a lot of subs in the last 20 years that did not have all these adjustments. Now that I understand how all this works it was worth the trouble to learn WOW does this PB 13 Ultra sound GREAT.
Dooky and mzs22 like this.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3
post #26086 of 26099 Unread 04-23-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
I just replaced my amp on my PB 13 Ultra and I have extra screws that hold the plate amp in the cabinet. I can mail a few to you but you can go to a hardware store with one to match. It does not matter if it's a Phillips or Torx drive as long as the screw is the same diameter,length and thread twist as these are wood screws. That is if your model SVS has the same size amp (dia of holes in the plate) screws as my PB 13 Ultra.

A BIG thanks to Jack at SVS after I installed the replacement amp, I called him and he walked me thru hooking it up and going thru the menu to make sure I understand how to use all the adjustments in the DSP. Jack was very patient with me and was NOT in a hurry to get off the phone and explained to me how everything works. I have owned a lot of subs in the last 20 years that did not have all these adjustments. Now that I understand how all this works it was worth the trouble to learn WOW does this PB 13 Ultra sound GREAT.
It's very nice, but I'm living in France. I'll go to a hardware store to find the same kind screws.

Thank you very much for your proposition !
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #26087 of 26099 Unread 04-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not sure if it's the right thread to ask in, but I have a dedicated home theater a little over 2000 sq. ft. (usage is 90% movies) that opens to a hall and stairwell. Currently have Paradigm studio fronts/center and SE3's rear in a 5.1 config. I sold an older Klipsch SW12 to get with the times Led Zeppelin. I'm deciding between 3 current SVS options in home. Choices are dual SB12-NSD, single PB-2000 or SB-Ultra 13. I don't really want to go over budget of 1,000 usd and all 3 options are in budget. I like the idea of duals and really want to go that route, but I'm leaning towards the Ultra 13 but don't know if or when I could add a 2nd one. Any input would be great.
post #26088 of 26099 Unread 04-24-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You've got a home theater of more than 2000 sq feet and you can't afford to spend more than $1000 on a subwoofer ? Something doesn't add up. If it really is that big, I suspect you need two (or more) subwoofers to fill the space.
Louis Bartay likes this.

Sean
post #26089 of 26099 Unread 04-24-2017, 05:55 PM

Jeez, My bad on the dimensions. The room is roughly 14'x17' with a small wet bar and standard 8' ceilings.
post #26090 of 26099 Unread 04-24-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just "cube" those feet and you would be close to 2000.

Sean
post #26091 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffside View Post
Not sure if it's the right thread to ask in, but I have a dedicated home theater a little over 2000 sq. ft. (usage is 90% movies) that opens to a hall and stairwell. Currently have Paradigm studio fronts/center and SE3's rear in a 5.1 config. I sold an older Klipsch SW12 to get with the times Led Zeppelin. I'm deciding between 3 current SVS options in home. Choices are dual SB12-NSD, single PB-2000 or SB-Ultra 13. I don't really want to go over budget of 1,000 usd and all 3 options are in budget. I like the idea of duals and really want to go that route, but I'm leaning towards the Ultra 13 but don't know if or when I could add a 2nd one. Any input would be great.
2 SB12-NSD = 1 SB-Ultra 13 at 1/2 the price. Buy 4, 2 stacks of 2. Looks cool, too. For the price of the Ultra, you can get 4 NSD, and start off with the equivalent of 2 SB13-Ultras.

ETA: After looking at Data Bass more closely, this is only true 40 Hz and below. Not so much above 40 Hz, the Ultra starts pulling away.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203

Last edited by drh3b; Yesterday at 11:40 PM.
post #26092 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Ultra 13 would be my choice. I have a couple and they do very well in my 2000 cu ft room.
Louis Bartay likes this.

5.1 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RB-75's Cherry, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Panamax 5300PM
post #26093 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
2 SB12-NSD = 1 SB-Ultra 13 at 1/2 the price. Buy 4, 2 stacks of 2. Looks cool, too. For the price of the Ultra, you can get 4 NSD, and start off with the equivalent of 2 SB13-Ultras.
Dual 12's aren't quite an Ultra. Especially the NSD'S. Your much closer with dual SB2000's but not the NSD's.

5.1 Livingroom
Sony 65XBR850D 4K
Marantz SR7011
Klipsch RB-75's Cherry, RC-64II, RS-52's Cherry
SVS Dual SB13 Ultra's
Oppo UDP-203 Sony PS4 Panamax 5300PM
post #26094 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
Quote:
Hi,

There is actually something to be said for all three options. Each option has some potential advantages. The PB2000's main claim to fame here would be more SPL than an SB13 at 20Hz. Dual SB12-NSD's would give up just a little SPL to an SB13, but not a lot. And, you would have two of them for enhanced frequency response and bass envelopment.

You can do some comparisons of output at different frequencies by using this Data-Bass table. The PB2000 will have about .6db more output than the PB12-NSD which is listed on the table. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

For me, the decision would probably come down to how likely, I thought it would be that I could add another SB13 somewhere down the road. If I thought I could, I would probably go for the more powerful SB13 now, and add another one later. If I honestly didn't think that there would be a future opportunity to add another Ultra, then I might buy two SB12-NSD's now.

This is one of those times that the 45-day trial period could work in your favor, if you wanted to try an SB13 in order to decide if having only the single sub would suit you. If you think that there is any chance that you can add a second similar sub later, I would nearly always counsel buying the more powerful sub now. Generally, our bass tastes tend to increase over time, rather than to decrease.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: I just double-checked prices, and it appears that you could get three SB12-NSD's from Amazon ($400) for the price of one SB13 from the SVS Outlet ($1200). If you can afford the SB13, three SB12-NSD's might be tough to pass up. Choices, choices.

Last edited by mthomas47; Yesterday at 11:43 AM.
post #26095 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all the information, this site has a lot of knowledge floating around. I'm pretty sure I could add a 2nd SB13-Ultra but may not be able in the year upgrade time. I'd like to choose what's best in my budget now in case I don't get a chance to upgrade. This may be an unfair test and not normal day to day listening, but I played the start of "edge of tomorrow" on all three setups and it pushes them all to their limits. The NSD-12's don't try to go too far, PB-2000 starts chuffing and the ultra hit it's max too. I think I'm between the 2 nsd-12's or the sb13 ultra. I thought I'd made a the decision then... you all probably know how it goes
mthomas47 likes this.
post #26096 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Dual 12's aren't quite an Ultra. Especially the NSD'S. Your much closer with dual SB2000's but not the NSD's.
Why would the SB2000 performance be so different from the NSD ? Is it not the same 12" driver with just a 100 watt advantage from the amp ?

Sean
post #26097 of 26099 Unread Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post
Yeah, I looked at the chart again. If I understand co located subs correctly, the NSD's should be about the same 40 Hz and below, but not so much above that. If I ever play loudly enough to overload them again, I may try lowering the crossover to 60 Hz to see if the Klipsches can take the load off.

Denon AVR-4520CI
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203

Last edited by drh3b; Yesterday at 11:55 PM.
post #26098 of 26099 Unread Today, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Why would the SB2000 performance be so different from the NSD ? Is it not the same 12" driver with just a 100 watt advantage from the amp ?
They are very close, but SVS did make some changes to the NSD driver for the 2000. They look to be pretty much neck and neck at 20hz,25hz and 31hz with the SB2000 only having a dB or so more output. Between 40-80hz the 2000 averages 2-3dB over the NSD. I think it's probably a combination of changes to the driver, a little more amp power (the NSD is amp limited from 25hz and up) and perhaps easing up on the limiters

Display: Panasonic P65ST60 65" Plasma
AVR: Denon X-1000
Speakers: PSA MTM-210C ( C ) , PSA MT-110 (L+R) , James Loudspeakers S-62 (Surrounds)
Subwoofers: SVS PB-2000 x 4
post #26099 of 26099 Unread Today, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
They are very close, but SVS did make some changes to the NSD driver for the 2000. They look to be pretty much neck and neck at 20hz,25hz and 31hz with the SB2000 only having a dB or so more output. Between 40-80hz the 2000 averages 2-3dB over the NSD. I think it's probably a combination of changes to the driver, a little more amp power (the NSD is amp limited from 25hz and up) and perhaps easing up on the limiters
The 2000 is a totally new sub. New amp, new driver, new connecting wires, new enclosure. They just don't remake subs and call them something else.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread