Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 874 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4196Likes

post #26191 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdixson View Post
Are you leaning towards the 13's now versus the 16's?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Are you liking your SB16s and do they still seem adequate in your space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26192 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've bought SB16 Ultra few week ago and pretty happy with it. However, I just realized it has humming noise, it sounds like the white noise from TV or radio. It makes me feel like there's a fan running inside the sub constantly. I've contacted SVS customer service and they were very helpful, after few emails, they decided to send me a new amp to try out. However the new amp does the same thing. I've tested the sub when it only plugged into outlet.

My question is: is there any level of humming sound acceptable for sub? or it's by design?

Thanks
post #26193 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleee View Post
Hi all,

I'm new here. I've bought SB16 Ultra few week ago and pretty happy with it. However, I just realized it has humming noise, it sounds like the white noise from TV or radio. It makes me feel like there's a fan running inside the sub constantly. I've contacted SVS customer service and they were very helpful, after few emails, they decided to send me a new amp to try out. However the new amp does the same thing. I've tested the sub when it only plugged into outlet.

My question is: is there any level of humming sound acceptable for sub? or it's by design?

Thanks
Do you have any "Three Pronged" plugged in fans etc or over head fans, light dimmers etc running on the same circuit breaker as the amp?

Can you move the sub ( I know HEAVY) and plug it into the wall on a different circuit?

I ran into this problem with a "Ground Loop" hum with my Hafler Pro Amp for my R2R and TT. I went crazy unplugging devices etc and finally found a

a old power strip with a 3 prong plug fan for my AVR. I used a 3 into 2 plug adaptor and all is well again.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3

post #26194 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Are you liking your SB16s and do they still seem adequate in your space?
I've had them for about 7 or 8 months now and I've honestly had zero regrets or urges to upgrade to something else.

I don't really push them that much and even being in relatively big space, there is still a great deal of additional output I could tap into if I wanted to. For me and my room they more than meet what I'm looking for with both music and movies.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Denon X4200W
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, CDT-5800-C II's
SVS SB-16 Ultra x 2
Emotiva XPA-5 Gen2
Sony XBR75X940D
XBox One S
post #26195 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 907 Post(s)
Liked: 1337
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
A hum is not white noise. Big difference caused by different things.

Unplug your sub from everything. Just plug in the power cord. What do you hear?
Louis Bartay likes this.

Last edited by Mongo171; 05-25-2017 at 05:05 PM.
post #26196 of 26212 Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks
My PB16 has a slight hum.. But I need to sit almost next to my sub to hear it so it has never bothered me.. I only noticed it because a few people did experience the same as you... but my PB13s are dead silent..
post #26197 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Some sort of founding issue with a wire perhaps?
post #26198 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post
My PB16 has a slight hum.. But I need to sit almost next to my sub to hear it so it has never bothered me.. I only noticed it because a few people did experience the same as you... but my PB13s are dead silent..
Is it an actual hum or a hiss? Both of my SB13Us have a faint hiss, need to be about 8" or closer to hear it, but it is normal. If it is a hum, are you hearing it form the driver, is it possibly the amp?

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #26199 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Bartay View Post
Do you have any "Three Pronged" plugged in fans etc or over head fans, light dimmers etc running on the same circuit breaker as the amp?

Can you move the sub ( I know HEAVY) and plug it into the wall on a different circuit?

I ran into this problem with a "Ground Loop" hum with my Hafler Pro Amp for my R2R and TT. I went crazy unplugging devices etc and finally found a

a old power strip with a 3 prong plug fan for my AVR. I used a 3 into 2 plug adaptor and all is well again.
The sub has three pronged plug, I've tried different outlet in my house already, the issue is still there. I also tried cheater plug (3 to 2 plug) as well, no luck at all.
post #26200 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
A hum is not white noise. Big difference caused by different things.

Unplug your sub from everything. Just plug in the power cord. What do you hear?
It's hard to explain because this is the first time I have this issue. When I unplug everything but the power, I hear the "hum" noise. the strength of the noise is constant, no matter what I turn volume all the way up or all the way down.
post #26201 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by januza View Post
It's hard too hear in most cases, however, in quite scene, I can hear it from my listening position (about 9 feet from the sub). Mine also has a thump when it comes out from standby mode, which I think it pretty normal.

This is my first SVS sub so I'm pretty anxious about it. I mean, I would expect more from $2k sub than the humming noise.
Matt2026 likes this.
post #26202 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's hard to explain because this is the first time I have this issue. When I unplug everything but the power, I hear the "hum" noise. the strength of the noise is constant, no matter what I turn volume all the way up or all the way down.
Hums will be florescent lights, light dimmers, ground loop, electrical panel nearby. It's a process of elimination. I had a hiss when I got a new Blu-ray player. Turned out to be my pre-pro. Took it out of the loop and I have silence.
Louis Bartay likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #26203 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's hard too hear in most cases, however, in quite scene, I can hear it from my listening position (about 9 feet from the sub). Mine also has a thump when it comes out from standby mode, which I think it pretty normal.

This is my first SVS sub so I'm pretty anxious about it. I mean, I would expect more from $2k sub than the humming noise.
It would still hum with a 10K sub. It might be the sub, but call SVS and they will be more than helpful to you to troubleshoot this. Remember, no matter how much something costs, there is an accecptable amount of failure. NOTHING is 100% perfect.

Just be open to accepting help. SVS is known for that. Give them a call.
Louis Bartay likes this.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Korben Dallas, "The Fifth Element"
post #26204 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
It would still hum with a 10K sub. It might be the sub, but call SVS and they will be more than helpful to you to troubleshoot this. Remember, no matter how much something costs, there is an accecptable amount of failure. NOTHING is 100% perfect.

Just be open to accepting help. SVS is known for that. Give them a call.
Yes, I understand that, every electrical equipment has some kind of "noise" and it's ok to have that. That's why my first question is about acceptable level for humming noise from the sub since it's my first sub.

Actually, SVS customer server was very helpful and they sent me a new amp to try out and I have been contacting them try to resolve the issue. I put my question here just to get answers from "the wisdom of Crowds".
post #26205 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
The sub has three pronged plug, I've tried different outlet in my house already, the issue is still there. I also tried cheater plug (3 to 2 plug) as well, no luck at all.
Did you turn OFF all ceiling fans, fluorescent lights, dimmer switches, alarms with motion detectors etc and unplug ALL three prong devices except the AVR and sub and try it?

You might have a poor/loose connection to the ground rod from outside to the electric meter, that is a earth ground for the breaker box.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II, R-14M
Klipsch Heresy II,
Klipsch Sub 12 X 3
SVS PB 13 Ultra Sub
Yamaha RX-V1900 HD PS3

Last edited by Louis Bartay; Yesterday at 10:59 AM.
post #26206 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3031 Post(s)
Liked: 4151
I believe that Ed has said in the past that the new Ultra's have a higher gain structure than the old ones. One of my PB16's has a slight hum, which I believe is due to distance. I used a 50' RCA connection that winds around the room under baseboards. A PB13 in that same position didn't hum, and the two PB16's on shorter cables don't hum. If it bothered me, I could use a different (XLR) connection or even try replacing the amp, but it's a fairly soft hum so I haven't bothered.

Regards,
Mike
post #26207 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hearing it from 9' is NOT normal. Of my two subs, one at 7' one at 9' feet, they are dead silent unless being fed source material. They have a hiss that is normal. but this requires essentially sticking my ears on the dang things (8 inches or closer), and it's faint. Folks do get thumps in subs and speakers, I do not. Neither of mine thump coming out of standby, dead quiet from the drivers. Don't know if this is a RCA vs. XLR thing or not, mine are connected via XLR, which could very well play into a true 60Hz HUM issue, don't know if it could affect thumping?

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #26208 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I believe that Ed has said in the past that the new Ultra's have a higher gain structure than the old ones. One of my PB16's has a slight hum, which I believe is due to distance. I used a 50' RCA connection that winds around the room under baseboards. A PB13 in that same position didn't hum, and the two PB16's on shorter cables don't hum. If it bothered me, I could use a different (XLR) connection or even try replacing the amp, but it's a fairly soft hum so I haven't bothered.

Regards,
Mike
I don't have XLR output from my AVR so I can't try that. The subs is pretty near the AVR (cable is SVS 2m length ~ 6 feet). I'm in mood to accept that hum and focus more on sound quality until I find it bothers me too much.
post #26209 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Hearing it from 9' is NOT normal. Of my two subs, one at 7' one at 9' feet, they are dead silent unless being fed source material. They have a hiss that is normal. but this requires essentially sticking my ears on the dang things (8 inches or closer), and it's faint. Folks do get thumps in subs and speakers, I do not. Neither of mine thump coming out of standby, dead quiet from the drivers. Don't know if this is a RCA vs. XLR thing or not, mine are connected via XLR, which could very well play into a true 60Hz HUM issue, don't know if it could affect thumping?
Maybe I overstated it however last night when kids already went to bed and the night was quiet, the hum was noticeable from my listening position. And it does the same thing alone when no cables connected to it. So it's probably not ground loop issue.
post #26210 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Maybe I overstated it however last night when kids already went to bed and the night was quiet, the hum was noticeable from my listening position. And it does the same thing alone when no cables connected to it. So it's probably not ground loop issue.
Perhaps try running an extension cord to a different outlet/circuit in the house and test again - or haul it next door if you are friendly with the neighbor and see if it still hums while connected to power in their home?
post #26211 of 26212 Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Moody View Post
Perhaps try running an extension cord to a different outlet/circuit in the house and test again - or haul it next door if you are friendly with the neighbor and see if it still hums while connected to power in their home?
It could still be a ground loop issue, try what MN recommends if you can. Ground loop issues can be REALLY odd in their behavior - there is always an explanation, but they don't always make sense at first. But a hum isn't necessarily a ground loop hum - get close to it; is it emanating from the driver? Or the amp? If it's NOT from the driver, it's not a 60HZ ground loop hum, it's somewhere else in the hardware.

OF COURSE - consult with SVS too......and don't get yourself into the mood to accept it until it bothers you - it already bothers or you probably wouldn't be bringing it up here - so KILL it now, before you simply accept it and don't actually do anything about it! You spent good money, let's make sure you are happy with the experience.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #26212 of 26212 Old Today, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

Swap out the sub cable with a high quality one and see if that stops the hum noise you're hearing.

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears
Sony UBP-X800 4K UHD player | Samsung UBD-K8500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread