Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 877 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4271Likes
post #26281 of 26287 Unread 06-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So I have an SB-1000 in the front corner. I also have an old MartinLogan Dynamo 300 that I'd like to use since it blends really well with the rest of my system (front: JBL L5s, rear JBL L1s, center: JBL LC1). I'm just not sure how to set it up, mostly because the Dynamo only goes down to 35Hz or so—it isn't exactly a "sub"woofer when compared to the SVS. I'll make sure to use Audyssey EQ after, whatever I choose. So,

1. I have to place it diagonal to the SVS due to room limitations no matter what, so should it go in the front corner or back since it blends well with the front speakers?

2. Should I use the Dynamo with its speaker-level inputs? (And where would I plug that in on my receiver?) Or should I keep it on LFE and use it as a complementary sub? (My receiver is 7.2.)

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26282 of 26287 Unread Yesterday, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3110 Post(s)
Liked: 4295
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk5987 View Post
So I have an SB-1000 in the front corner. I also have an old MartinLogan Dynamo 300 that I'd like to use since it blends really well with the rest of my system (front: JBL L5s, rear JBL L1s, center: JBL LC1). I'm just not sure how to set it up, mostly because the Dynamo only goes down to 35Hz or so—it isn't exactly a "sub"woofer when compared to the SVS. I'll make sure to use Audyssey EQ after, whatever I choose. So,

1. I have to place it diagonal to the SVS due to room limitations no matter what, so should it go in the front corner or back since it blends well with the front speakers?

2. Should I use the Dynamo with its speaker-level inputs? (And where would I plug that in on my receiver?) Or should I keep it on LFE and use it as a complementary sub? (My receiver is 7.2.)

Thanks everyone!
Hi,

I have a couple of reactions, I will share. First, I would probably prefer to put the less powerful sub in the back corner, on the assumption that it will be a little closer to your listening position. Blending should not be a problem with either of your subwoofers if you have selected an appropriate crossover. Diagonal corners often work very well from a frequency response standpoint, so that part may actually be a plus.

You have a couple of different choices with Audyssey. If you have dual sub outs, with XT-32, there would be some advantage to letting Audyssey set distances and levels for the two different subs. But, Audyssey would stop EQing where the weaker of the two subs is down in volume by 3db, so that could knock out a lot of your low-end EQ for the SB1000.

If you don't have XT-32, with two sub outs, I think that the decision is even easier. I would simply run Audyssey for just the SB1000, and then after calibrating, add the Dynamo to the system with a Y-connector. That won't affect your Audyssey calibration at all, as Audyssey will never even know the second sub is there. The disadvantage of course is that the Dynamo will be EQed in the same way that the SB1000 is. If the Dynamo has any built-in DSP, you could set a Low Pass Filter for about 40Hz. But, doing it the way I suggested will also allow you to easily A/B your sound to determine whether the Dynamo really adds anything to the overall sound quality.

Anytime you try to combine two mis-matched subs, you may like the result, or you may not. But, I do think it is easier to mismatch sealed subs than it is ported subs. As for where to plug the Dynamo in, I would probably try it on the normal LFE setting, unless you know of some specific reason to do it another way. In that case, you can just experiment to find out which sounds better to you. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Louis Bartay likes this.

Last edited by mthomas47; Yesterday at 12:36 PM.
post #26283 of 26287 Unread Yesterday, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
PayPal Credit and eBay are having a 24 month same as cash sale....wheee! I can get my PB-16 finally.....until I discover that no eBay SVS vendors participate in PayPal Credit.

Grrr.......
SVS accepts PayPal as a payment method.

You need to apply for PayPal Credit with PayPal. Once approved it would be added to your PayPal account as a payment option. Simply select that option when checking out.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

post #26284 of 26287 Unread Yesterday, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
SVS accepts PayPal as a payment method.

You need to apply for PayPal Credit with PayPal. Once approved it would be added to your PayPal account as a payment option. Simply select that option when checking out.
I've had PayPal Credit for awhile and it's great when i want to buy something as a short term same-as-cash deal. Anything over $99 on PayPal Credit is 6 months same-as-cash and yes, I could get a sub that way right now. But if I spend $2K for a sub, that's still a big bite on my budget over the next six months and I'm still paying for my LG OLED TV on PayPal until the end of the summer.

The deal I was talking about was that occasionally, PayPal and a vendor establishes a much better length of terms....12-24 months for a limited occasion. I got a nice Vitamix blender this way last year which is only costing me $37 a month interest free over 18 months. In this case, last week Paypal and eBay were doing a 24 month same-as-cash deal for a purchase over $400. That would have made a purchase easy. But none of the authorized vendors selling SVS subs on eBay like OneCall accept PayPal credit at all (you can pay via PayPal for a single payment just like always).

Oh well....
post #26285 of 26287 Unread Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 138
That blender must dig pretty deep.
thyname and Mongo171 like this.
post #26286 of 26287 Unread Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post
I've had PayPal Credit for awhile and it's great when i want to buy something as a short term same-as-cash deal. Anything over $99 on PayPal Credit is 6 months same-as-cash and yes, I could get a sub that way right now. But if I spend $2K for a sub, that's still a big bite on my budget over the next six months and I'm still paying for my LG OLED TV on PayPal until the end of the summer.

The deal I was talking about was that occasionally, PayPal and a vendor establishes a much better length of terms....12-24 months for a limited occasion. I got a nice Vitamix blender this way last year which is only costing me $37 a month interest free over 18 months. In this case, last week Paypal and eBay were doing a 24 month same-as-cash deal for a purchase over $400. That would have made a purchase easy. But none of the authorized vendors selling SVS subs on eBay like OneCall accept PayPal credit at all (you can pay via PayPal for a single payment just like always).

Oh well....
OK see - PayPal Credit and eBay teamed up on that one. Yeah 24 months same as cash is insanely good.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #26287 of 26287 Unread Today, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
That blender must dig pretty deep.
A good Vitamix is worth its weight in gold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000
Gear in this thread