Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 883 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4408Likes

post #26461 of 26484 Old 09-02-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
Wow, our setups are almost identical from the sound of it. Our floors are the HD Plus as well. Whats weird is I ran Audyssey again on the HSU on the left side of the tv, wasn't particularly happy with the result, and moved it to the right side of the tv, and withought running Audyssey again, it sounds pretty damn good now. Although, it's still localized - it's quite obvious where the sub is.
I'm kinda wanting to try dual Rythmic L12s now.
I really can't locate my PC-12 Plus..... it blends very smoothly with the mains and surrounds. Mine is on the right side behind the right channel speaker. I'm looking forward to getting the rest of my furniture in so I can re-run my XT-32.
Louis Bartay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26462 of 26484 Old 09-03-2017, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
You are very welcome! I understand the WAF issue, but I think that the real appearance difference between the models is relatively modest. Most of us get used to slightly larger subwoofers pretty quickly, and getting what you really want from a performance standpoint is important. A lot of us can identify with the loud part.

I also understand what you mean about knowing that you will return one of the subs you buy. But, you will still be buying two subs in the end, and the free-trial period (with free shipping both ways) is built into the purchase price of our subs. SVS won't feel bad about the transaction. I have also heard them recommend trying one of each before. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Regards,
Mike
Well, I decided to go with two PC2000 subs. I got buy in from the wife as they are more pleasing to the eye. I'm very excited to get these installed and see how it goes. I did a quick test on my current sub and it craps out at 34hz, so these new subs should be significantly better. I really didn't want to compromise with the ported option in the end. Awesome bass is about a week away I hope.
mthomas47 and htpc-geek like this.
post #26463 of 26484 Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked: 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_man1 View Post
Well, I decided to go with two PC2000 subs. I got buy in from the wife as they are more pleasing to the eye. I'm very excited to get these installed and see how it goes. I did a quick test on my current sub and it craps out at 34hz, so these new subs should be significantly better. I really didn't want to compromise with the ported option in the end. Awesome bass is about a week away I hope.
That's excellent, and I appreciate your letting me know of your decision. I think you are going to be very pleased; especially with the low bass!
cave_man1 likes this.

post #26464 of 26484 Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I own both of these subs. There is absolutely no comparison between the two. An sb16 will put the hurt on you when playing loud and dig much deeper. The SB13 is more of an invisible sub which rarely lets you know it's there.
One other advantage of the SB16 is it supposedly has a flatter roll-off at the low end, so it will take more advantage of room gain down into the single digit frequencies :-)

HT: OLED65E6P, STR-DN1050, UBP-X800, Take Classics, Dual SB2000's
LR: 47LW5600
Internet limited to 3MB DSL, so no HD / UHD streaming for me :(
Long live physical media!
post #26465 of 26484 Old 09-05-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I'm new to HT and I just bought an SB1000 for my living room. Absolutely love the size of this thing. I also got the SoundPath feet after a few weeks and it really tightened up the bass on my wood floors.

'm really impressed with it, and can only imagine what kind of quality you get as you go up in SVS' line.
Louis Bartay likes this.

LG OLED55C6P | Oppo UDP-203 | Marantz NR1607 | Nvidia Shield TV 2017
NHT SuperOne 2.1, SuperCenter, SuperZero 2.1, AFX Mini | 2x SVS SB1000 -> 5.2.2 Living Room
16ga Mediabridge Speaker Cables | Monoprice Certified HDMI | Amphony L1700
post #26466 of 26484 Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Would there be any benefit to getting the isolation feet on concrete? What exactly are the isolation feet doing for the HT experience?
post #26467 of 26484 Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
I'm new to HT and I just bought an SB1000 for my living room. Absolutely love the size of this thing. I also got the SoundPath feet after a few weeks and it really tightened up the bass on my wood floors.

'm really impressed with it, and can only imagine what kind of quality you get as you go up in SVS' line.
The isolation feet likely removed some ugly resonances you may have been experiencing with your wood floor as the energy was transmitting more into your floor before and less so now. They are particularly useful for apartments as the sound energy has less of a chance to shake the floor and nearby walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma View Post
Would there be any benefit to getting the isolation feet on concrete? What exactly are the isolation feet doing for the HT experience?
For concrete, you generally won't benefit from the isolation feet since there's extremely little energy transfer into the hard materials in the first place.
mthomas47 and DarkEnigma like this.
post #26468 of 26484 Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 AM

Got my two PC2000 subs today. They sound great and had no trouble shaking walls and providing exceptional punchy bass response for movies and music. Looking forward to some experimentation with placement, but they sound good up front.
post #26469 of 26484 Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 113
SVS and Ed Mullen

Just wanted to give a shout out to SVS and Ed Mullen. I emailed them with a question on running my sub (PB-2000) a little hotter and he replied and we went back and forth most of yesterday and I updated him today. I just think it's great customer service, when someone at his level in a company has time to help a customer. He explained things to me and even gave me a test I can perform to make sure I am not running it too hot. I just appreciated the level attention to my question and the follow through to make sure I understood everything. A++ service in my opinion.
post #26470 of 26484 Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPURR DBL NKL View Post
Just wanted to give a shout out to SVS and Ed Mullen. I emailed them with a question on running my sub (PB-2000) a little hotter and he replied and we went back and forth most of yesterday and I updated him today. I just think it's great customer service, when someone at his level in a company has time to help a customer. He explained things to me and even gave me a test I can perform to make sure I am not running it too hot. I just appreciated the level attention to my question and the follow through to make sure I understood everything. A++ service in my opinion.
Agreed, excellent service from SVS. Out of curiosity, what is the test procedure Ed provided you with?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Louis Bartay likes this.
post #26471 of 26484 Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprizal View Post
Agreed, excellent service from SVS. Out of curiosity, what is the test procedure Ed provided you with?

It was to measure for dynamic compression of the heaviest bass peaks. For those more knowledgeable than myself, this may be a known test, but it was new to me. "He said start at -20 MV and find a demanding bass passage and measure the peak SPL at the MLP, with an SPL meter set to C/Fast. Pause the player, wait 15 seconds and then increase the MV setting by 3db and loop the same scene. The peak SPL from the subwoofer should increase 3db. Repeat the process again. He said at some point, the subwoofer will stop getting louder on that peak and will no longer march in lockstep with the master volume. At that point it is starting to compress dynamic peaks and a higher playback level is not advised, at least not at that subwoofer calibration level." I had asked him about running mine 5db hotter than where I currently had it, and this test is what he recommended to me to make sure I wouldn't push the sub too hard, because I told him, I listen at anywhere from -10 to reference level. So I would repeat this process all way up to -10 or reference, provided my sub didn't start compressing the dynamic peaks. If it did, then I would need to adjust the sub gain lower to be able to safely reach my listening levels and not hurt the sub.
mthomas47 and Louis Bartay like this.

Last edited by HYPURR DBL NKL; 09-14-2017 at 07:07 AM.
post #26472 of 26484 Old 09-14-2017, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A couple of PB-2000s popped up on the SVS outlet site so I finally bit the bullet and picked one up. Will be replacing a BIC PL-200 and it will be joining my array of Polk LSiM speakers. Can't wait to finally experience some SVS bass in person
mthomas47 and htpc-geek like this.
post #26473 of 26484 Old 09-14-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
A couple of PB-2000s popped up on the SVS outlet site so I finally bit the bullet and picked one up. Will be replacing a BIC PL-200 and it will be joining my array of Polk LSiM speakers. Can't wait to finally experience some SVS bass in person
I have one and love it, you should love yours. Let us know what ya think once you get it set up.
bushman311 likes this.
post #26474 of 26484 Old 09-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
It was to measure for dynamic compression of the heaviest bass peaks. For those more knowledgeable than myself, this may be a known test, but it was new to me. "He said start at -20 MV and find a demanding bass passage and measure the peak SPL at the MLP, with an SPL meter set to C/Fast. Pause the player, wait 15 seconds and then increase the MV setting by 3db and loop the same scene. The peak SPL from the subwoofer should increase 3db. Repeat the process again. He said at some point, the subwoofer will stop getting louder on that peak and will no longer march in lockstep with the master volume. At that point it is starting to compress dynamic peaks and a higher playback level is not advised, at least not at that subwoofer calibration level." I had asked him about running mine 5db hotter than where I currently had it, and this test is what he recommended to me to make sure I wouldn't push the sub too hard, because I told him, I listen at anywhere from -10 to reference level. So I would repeat this process all way up to -10 or reference, provided my sub didn't start compressing the dynamic peaks. If it did, then I would need to adjust the sub gain lower to be able to safely reach my listening levels and not hurt the sub.
So were you pushing it too hard?

post #26475 of 26484 Old 09-14-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
One is amazing, two... epic!

bushman311 likes this.
post #26476 of 26484 Old 09-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cave_man1 View Post
I think you will be pleased. My room is 18' x 28' with 9' ceilings and my dual PC-2000's more than crush it for me. I am extremely pleased with these subs. A bit of a tip for you, make sure you turn the volume knob on these subs up to the 1 to 3 o'clock position then adjust your trim where needed with your audio video receiver. Apparently, the sledge amp these subs use works well in this volume range according to the folks at SVS.
Bevmo and cave_man1 like this.
post #26477 of 26484 Old 09-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
So were you pushing it too hard?

Not IMO I'm not. Ed just wanted to make sure that I wasn't and gave me the test to make sure I wasn't when I planned on running it 3 more db hotter. I run it very conservative IMO. Volume at 12 o'clock on the sub and -5.5 on the AVR. I was talking to Ed about running it 3 more db hotter. Which I did, but went back to my -5.5 setting, as it sounded better to me, not so bottom heavy. IMO Audyssey did a great job getting my sub EQ'd, it sounds better than it ever has.
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by HYPURR DBL NKL; 09-15-2017 at 06:38 PM.
post #26478 of 26484 Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Not IMO I'm not. Ed just wanted to make sure that I wasn't and gave me the test to make sure I wasn't when I planned on running it 3 more db hotter. I run it very conservative IMO. Volume at 12 o'clock on the sub and -5.5 on the AVR. I was talking to Ed about running it 3 more db hotter. Which I did, but went back to my -5.5 setting, as it sounded better to me, not so bottom heavy. IMO Audyssey did a great job getting my sub EQ'd, it sounds better than it ever has.
Nice! I run mine about the same and sounds perfect.

post #26479 of 26484 Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Nice! I run mine about the same and sounds perfect.

Yeah I love the way it sounds now.
post #26480 of 26484 Old Today, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgrds View Post
I think you will be pleased. My room is 18' x 28' with 9' ceilings and my dual PC-2000's more than crush it for me. I am extremely pleased with these subs. A bit of a tip for you, make sure you turn the volume knob on these subs up to the 1 to 3 o'clock position then adjust your trim where needed with your audio video receiver. Apparently, the sledge amp these subs use works well in this volume range according to the folks at SVS.
Thanks for the tip. I did my Audyssey setup with the subs set to half power, but without knowing about your tip, I ended up turning the knobs to about 1 o'clock after, then used the receiver to control the volume. So, I think I did exactly what you're recommending. I've since moved the subs back to about 12:30 on the dial, but am still experimenting. I also did a sub crawl and it looks like opposite corners in the listening area (front left, back right) appear to be best locations, so now I'm waiting for a longer RCA cable to arrive and test. They sound amazing up front split apart regardless. It's pretty awesome to listen at decent volume and still get some rumble in the lower freq range while watching a movie. That's a new experience for me and makes the experience much more immersive.
post #26481 of 26484 Old Today, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all!

I recently moved into a house and started the process of upgrading my old HTIB speakers. I picked up a Klipsch RC 62 for the center, and Klipsch R14s for surrounds (but they are temporarily my fronts until I get new ones). I wasn't planning on doing the sub just yet, but my old sub quit working. I didn't fully understand subs and got a small Klipsch from Fry's with their promo code.

I started doing some research here (long time lurker) and my budget started creeping up. After narrowing my list to a few (including the HSU VTF-1 MK3) that seemed to be the best for the money I could realistically afford in the size I wanted, I decided on the SVS PB 1000. I was lucky to find one in the outlet section of SVS's website for $450 with some cosmetic imperfections. After getting the sub, I can't even see what's wrong with it!

My living room isn't that large - 15'x16', and my MLP is about 9-10' from the sub. This thing is great! I never realized what I've been missing at home for a decent price. Now, my problem is that my neighbor's house is maybe 10' away from the sub and I'm constantly worried that they can hear it. I've done several checks and I could hear it when I was next to their house, but I think I've got it add a good level for me and so that they can't hear it.

I am getting some rattles of furnishings during especially low parts of movies, so I'm thinking of getting SVS's isolation feet, but my house is on a slab and it seems like the feet don't help that much when on concrete . . . ?

Anyway, to make a long story short, I love my new sub!
HYPURR DBL NKL likes this.
post #26482 of 26484 Old Today, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
Hello all!

I recently moved into a house and started the process of upgrading my old HTIB speakers. I picked up a Klipsch RC 62 for the center, and Klipsch R14s for surrounds (but they are temporarily my fronts until I get new ones). I wasn't planning on doing the sub just yet, but my old sub quit working. I didn't fully understand subs and got a small Klipsch from Fry's with their promo code.

I started doing some research here (long time lurker) and my budget started creeping up. After narrowing my list to a few (including the HSU VTF-1 MK3) that seemed to be the best for the money I could realistically afford in the size I wanted, I decided on the SVS PB 1000. I was lucky to find one in the outlet section of SVS's website for $450 with some cosmetic imperfections. After getting the sub, I can't even see what's wrong with it!

My living room isn't that large - 15'x16', and my MLP is about 9-10' from the sub. This thing is great! I never realized what I've been missing at home for a decent price. Now, my problem is that my neighbor's house is maybe 10' away from the sub and I'm constantly worried that they can hear it. I've done several checks and I could hear it when I was next to their house, but I think I've got it add a good level for me and so that they can't hear it.

I am getting some rattles of furnishings during especially low parts of movies, so I'm thinking of getting SVS's isolation feet, but my house is on a slab and it seems like the feet don't help that much when on concrete . . . ?

How can a house be only 10 feet from your sub? I don't know of any zoning laws that allow houses to be built so crazy close. Isolation pads are not very effective on concrete, mostly wood or flexible sub-floors. The can't hurt to try but most likely won't help much.
post #26483 of 26484 Old Today, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Ford View Post
Isolation pads are not very effective on concrete, mostly wood or flexible sub-floors. The can't hurt to try but most likely won't help much.
Agreed - concrete won't transmit much tactile energy from a subwoofer. So the OP's buzz/rattle is being caused by sound pressure and not mechanical vibration.

Focus on finding the offending items in the room and correcting with Blu-Tack or similar product. Sometimes drywall rattles against the studs if it's not well secured, so adding drywall screws (fill and repaint afterward of course) can help.
mthomas47 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #26484 of 26484 Old Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked: 4904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
Hello all!

Congratulations on your new sub! You have already gotten good advice on your rattles.

With respect to your concern about your neighbor, having someone so close can sometimes be an issue with bass frequencies as they do travel. But, if you are keeping your volume level reasonable, as you say, then you should be alright. You certainly want to be a good neighbor, but I honestly wouldn't worry too much unless they say something.

One thing in your favor is that even though you can hear the bass when you stand next to their house, the sound will be further attenuated as the bass frequencies travel through their walls to the inside of their house. Hopefully, they won't really notice, or mind much if they do.

Regards,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page