Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - Page 887 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4493Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #26581 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,141
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude321 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a new system including SVS 16 ultra, denon x6400h, b&w 70x. I got everything connected including denon SUBWOOFER1 -> SVS LFE. When I turn on the Denon and run Audyssey for the first time, all the other speakers works fine but the SVS sound volume is extreme low(still
audible), I change its volume from -10db to 0db, but doesn't help. Both the denon and SVS is factory setting. Please help!!

Thanks
Connect your smart phone directly to the subwoofer with a 3.5 mini to dual RCA adapter. Set the headphone volume to maximum. Set the subwoofer low pass to 80 Hz. Set the subwoofer volume to -15. Then play a bassy song on your phone.

The subwoofer output should be pretty loud at -15. You can slowly increase to -10 or higher and it should be quite loud. This is just a sanity check to see if something is wrong with the subwoofer.

If it plays loud, the issue is upstream with the AVR. If it doesn't play loud, the issue is with the subwoofer and contact SVS and custservice@svsound.com for additional support.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #26582 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Member
 
october16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
SVS SB 1000 Problem

My SB1000 is hooked to an AVR, Cambridge Audio CXR200, through the single RCA LFE port. There seems to be an issue that has developed recently, where I have to tap the subwoofer cable at the LFE port end for the bass to come through. Sometimes it does not at all. What could be the problem here? It is connected through a single RCA port on the AVR end. Don't know ifI should buy a new cable or should I call my dealer to check this. Since both will cost money, which option you guys suggest I go for? And I sincerely hope the issue is not at the AVR end as after service for Cambridge Audio sucks here in India because the distributor is a jerk.

Focal Chorus 726V | Focal Centre CC800V | NHT SuperZero 2.1 | SVS SB1000 | Cambridge Audio CXR200 | Oppo UDP-205 | | Clearaudio Concept Wood TT | | Clearaudio Nano V2 Phono | Raspberry Pi 3 with Minimserver | Synology NAS DS916+ | VU 65" LED 3D TV | LG OLED B6T "65 |SF Power Conditioner
october16 is online now  
post #26583 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ed Mullen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,141
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
My SB1000 is hooked to an AVR, Cambridge Audio CXR200, through the single RCA LFE port. There seems to be an issue that has developed recently, where I have to tap the subwoofer cable at the LFE port end for the bass to come through. Sometimes it does not at all. What could be the problem here? It is connected through a single RCA port on the AVR end. Don't know ifI should buy a new cable or should I call my dealer to check this. Since both will cost money, which option you guys suggest I go for? And I sincerely hope the issue is not at the AVR end as after service for Cambridge Audio sucks here in India because the distributor is a jerk.
It sounds like a bad cable. I would replace the cable first and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, it could be a loose/intermittent sub-out jack on the Cambridge.
october16 likes this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
Ed Mullen is offline  
 
post #26584 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
drh3b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 893
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by october16 View Post
My SB1000 is hooked to an AVR, Cambridge Audio CXR200, through the single RCA LFE port. There seems to be an issue that has developed recently, where I have to tap the subwoofer cable at the LFE port end for the bass to come through. Sometimes it does not at all. What could be the problem here? It is connected through a single RCA port on the AVR end. Don't know ifI should buy a new cable or should I call my dealer to check this. Since both will cost money, which option you guys suggest I go for? And I sincerely hope the issue is not at the AVR end as after service for Cambridge Audio sucks here in India because the distributor is a jerk.
Try switching the ends of the cable. If the problem moves, you know it's the cable, if it stays put, you know its the Cambridge Audio.
october16 likes this.

Denon AVR-X4300H (wounded)
Emotiva XPA Gen3 3 channel
Klipsch RP-280f LR, RP-260f SR, RP-450c
SVS SB12-NSD x4
OPPO UDP-203 TiVo Roamio, adequate Samsung UHD LED TV
drh3b is offline  
post #26585 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is placing a subwoofer in null area generally a bad idea? I initially had one pb12 plus to the right of my main setup. I added another one to the left (i know symetrical placement is generally frowned upon, but my placement options are extremely limited) mostly because i wanted more SPL and bass sounded heavy in my right ear. I noticed that bass sounded better in my right ear not only because the sub was on the right but because I have a MAJOR null to the left of my MLP. I thought adding another sub on the left would help with the bass envelopment at my MLP and it certainly has(and I'm happy with it, spl increased 4-5db at the mlp and I can't locate the sub anymore). But the null to the left still exists. Sitting in my chair at the MLP i can record 98db on a passage but if i literally stand about a foot to the left of the chair (directly in line with the second sub) spl drops to 84~86. Standing about a foot in front of my sub on the left the intensity also drops greatly. I can see the driver moving in and out like crazy but it's almost as if there is no bass playing until i go back to my MLP (which is in between both subs) or stand in front of the original sub on the right. So it's not really a problem...since it sounds fine at the MLP but i'm wondering if i'm losing any bass by placing the sub where the null was (and somehow still is)?
DarkEnigma is offline  
post #26586 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
Member
 
october16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
It sounds like a bad cable. I would replace the cable first and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, it could be a loose/intermittent sub-out jack on the Cambridge.


There are two jacks on the AVR. Can both get loose or intermittent at the same time?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Focal Chorus 726V | Focal Centre CC800V | NHT SuperZero 2.1 | SVS SB1000 | Cambridge Audio CXR200 | Oppo UDP-205 | | Clearaudio Concept Wood TT | | Clearaudio Nano V2 Phono | Raspberry Pi 3 with Minimserver | Synology NAS DS916+ | VU 65" LED 3D TV | LG OLED B6T "65 |SF Power Conditioner
october16 is online now  
post #26587 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM
Member
 
logan456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sb2000

I purchased a sb2000 sub in march, think I messed up. I mainly watch movies and I heard the pb2000 would be better for movies. Would I be better off getting a pb 2000 or go dual and get another sb2000?
logan456 is offline  
post #26588 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aschmoldt View Post
Thanks for the input. I understand that location can affect level of output but that is why i put both the sb16 and pc13 right beside each other when i was running playback from one sub to the other. i wasn't running them at the same time so I could hear the difference between the two. I actually put the pc directly in front of the sb so the woofers are as close to the came location in the room as possible. i get what you are saying also that the volume gain on the sb 16 and pc 13 might be calibrated differently and running at the same volume doesn't mean equal output. SVS sent me a chart that indicated it takes 4 sb 13 ultras to equal the output of a single pc 13 ultra running 20 hz. i can't locate the email but i thought they also said that the sb16 has roughly 40% more output then the sb 13. Based on those rough numbers shouldn't I be able to tell a noticeable advantage in low frequency output of the pc 13 over the sb 16 at the same volume even though it doesn't necessarily mean they are outputting the same? is there some adjustment i need make for the pc's? Leaving all factors in my initial message the same i put the volume of both subs to 0 and ran the same tests. It still seemed that the sb 16 had a slight advantage down low. Feel free to set me straight. Thanks.
I went from dual sb13 to dual pc13. The difference in my room was quite substantial.

When testing them both did you eq them seperately? When I got the pc13's I first connected them without running audyssey again , just for a quick test. But when I reran audyssey there was a big difference and the pc13's sounded better ( in the low frequencies ).

I know the sb13 I had are less powerful than the sb16, but still I think the pc13 should have more power down low than the sb16. Also, perhaps you can run REW to see how the response is in your room, which can be handy for comparison.

Marantz SR7011
Kef R300
Kef R50
SVS PC13 Ultra x2

Last edited by Cyral; Yesterday at 01:28 PM.
Cyral is offline  
post #26589 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
I purchased a sb2000 sub in march, think I messed up. I mainly watch movies and I heard the pb2000 would be better for movies. Would I be better off getting a pb 2000 or go dual and get another sb2000?
For movies the pb2000 will have a lot more power than the sb2000. When I had the sb2000 I was not satisfied with the output. I like to run my subwoofers hot and with the sb2000 I easily reached the limit.

A few days later I returned the sb2000 and swapped it for the pb2000. There was a big difference, way more power down low than the sb2000.

You also mentioned getting another sb2000. That would surely help, but one pb2000 would still be more powerful down low than 2x sb2000.

If you have the room to get 2x pb2000, that would be my advice.

Marantz SR7011
Kef R300
Kef R50
SVS PC13 Ultra x2

Last edited by Cyral; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.
Cyral is offline  
post #26590 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,987
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkEnigma View Post
Is placing a subwoofer in null area generally a bad idea? I initially had one pb12 plus to the right of my main setup. I added another one to the left (i know symetrical placement is generally frowned upon, but my placement options are extremely limited) mostly because i wanted more SPL and bass sounded heavy in my right ear. I noticed that bass sounded better in my right ear not only because the sub was on the right but because I have a MAJOR null to the left of my MLP. I thought adding another sub on the left would help with the bass envelopment at my MLP and it certainly has(and I'm happy with it, spl increased 4-5db at the mlp and I can't locate the sub anymore). But the null to the left still exists. Sitting in my chair at the MLP i can record 98db on a passage but if i literally stand about a foot to the left of the chair (directly in line with the second sub) spl drops to 84~86. Standing about a foot in front of my sub on the left the intensity also drops greatly. I can see the driver moving in and out like crazy but it's almost as if there is no bass playing until i go back to my MLP (which is in between both subs) or stand in front of the original sub on the right. So it's not really a problem...since it sounds fine at the MLP but i'm wondering if i'm losing any bass by placing the sub where the null was (and somehow still is)?
Even if your current location isn't ideal, what can you do about it? You said your placement options are "extremely limited".

If your placement options weren't so limited, I would immediately suggest you get yourself a calibrated USB microphone (UMIK-1), download REW and get to measuring.
Alan P is offline  
post #26591 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 9,987
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
I purchased a sb2000 sub in march, think I messed up. I mainly watch movies and I heard the pb2000 would be better for movies. Would I be better off getting a pb 2000 or go dual and get another sb2000?
For the majority of rooms, ported subs are better in a "mostly movies" system...but it is impossible to tell if you are in the majority. We at least need to know the size of your room, how loud you tend to listen and how far away you are from the subwoofer.
Alan P is offline  
post #26592 of 26593 Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Member
 
logan456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
I purchased a sb2000 sub in march, think I messed up. I mainly watch movies and I heard the pb2000 would be better for movies. Would I be better off getting a pb 2000 or go dual and get another sb2000?
For the majority of rooms, ported subs are better in a "mostly movies" system...but it is impossible to tell if you are in the majority. We at least need to know the size of your room, how loud you tend to listen and how far away you are from the subwoofer.
Thanks for the reply. The room is a small den open room off the living room10 x 10. The room is perfectly square. I have a pioneer sc95 receiver and I ussually listen to movies between -20 - -15 db. I sit about 9 ft away from the sub.
logan456 is offline  
post #26593 of 26593 Old Today, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ben Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 666
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The room is a small den open room off the living room10 x 10. The room is perfectly square. I have a pioneer sc95 receiver and I ussually listen to movies between -20 - -15 db. I sit about 9 ft away from the sub.
My room is 12x16 and with 2 SB2000s, I get authority down to 20hz pretty easily at -18db MV. Even 16hz could still be felt.

Maybe play with your sub location first before you exchange to a PB2000?

- 5.2.4 Bedroom Theater -
SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation
Dual SVS SB2000
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Ben Tan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Speaker Systems , Svs , svs pb-2000 , Svs Pb1000 10 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Svs Pb13 Ultra , Svs Pc12 Nsd 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Cylinder Subwoofer , Svs Pc12 Ultra , Svs Sb1000 12 Inch 300 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb12 Nsd Charcoal Black Vinyl 12 Inch 400 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb13 Ultra Piano Gloss 13 Inch 1000 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Svs Sb2000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off