AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  Deaf-Forever 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#19,141 ·
I'll try this over the Holiday weekend but wanted to know your thoughts...

Setup:
- I have 5.1 Definitive Technology setup: BP8060STs as fronts, CS8040HD center, and PM1000 rears.
- The 8060STs have built in woofers. I have them dialed to the 1 o'clock position.
- My room is less than 3000 cubic feet.
- I'm using a Pioneer Elite SC-65 AVR with MCACC calibration set.

I just recently purchased an SVS SB-2000 sub. It is currently behind the MLP, sitting on top of a Subdude and 18" stand. I tested it last night but I feel like I'm missing something. I had a Definitive Technology SC-2000 sub in that position before this one. I was told I am upgrading but I'm not hearing/feeling much of a difference. I have the SVS dialed in at 2 o'clock.

- Should I rerun the MCACC calibration? I'm thinking I don't have to because it doesn't calibrate anything under 63Hz.
- I have moved the sub to some other locations in my room but I feel that putting it in my front stage cancels out the LFE from the front speakers. This is reason for putting this behind the MLP.

Your opinions/advice is more than welcome. Thanks everyone.
Hi. Re run mcacc and put all your speakers at small and 80hz crossover...but since you have around 3000 cubic feet room the sb13ultra should be better performing or add another sb2000...i dont know how much bass you like but sb13ultra would be min. for your size of room or go ported if you have space...pb2000, pb12plus

Reactions: pacman9270
#19,142 ·
Oh yes, I look at it several times a day. It is still, unfortunately just above my budget.
If you're in the ballpark, have you thought about the PC12 plus. It's less money and will give you similar performance as the PB12 plus. In my opinion (I'll point out in also an owner of a cylinder sub) the PC subs are a great value!

#19,143 ·
Guys, what DB level do you have your subs set to in the receiver and how far have you turned the volume knob on the actual sub? I currently have a PB1000 and it's set at +5 in the receiver and at about 2 o clock on the volume knob. Am I running it too hot?

#19,144 ·
You're going to be surprised at what it can do. I had mine for week and played some music and watched one movie so far and I can't believe the sound that's coming out this sub. The bass is so detailed. Last night while watching a movie I heard 3 separate bass notes within a couple of seconds in a scene. Crazy. I'm not use to that. I'm use to hearing one booming sounding bass.

I wouldn't worry about the performance for movies. I don't know how big your room is but in my 1800+cuft room it gets plenty loud and extends down to the teens. Also you might have to get use to the sub sounding like it's not there until it's called for. The sub is literally silent until the bass hits. It's a wonderful effect actually. I prefer a sub this way now. I've become accustomed to hearing some type of bass even when there's not suppose to be any. I thought I would hate that the SB2000 would be too quite. Nope. That thinking changed real quick. I love when the bass comes out of nowhere. It makes it much more enjoyable.

Edit-

Forgot to mention how fast it starts and stops. It does it's thing and gets out the way quickly. It doesn't overstay it's welcome.
Thanks for the reassurance! Your answer is what I was looking for to be honest. I need something tight and fast with small form factor but also powerful. A lot to ask for a sub at this price point but I can't wait. Now I'm really excited because that's exactly what I was looking for since I'll be pairing them with new B&W CM6s. Can't wait till I have everything put together!

#19,145 ·
Guys, what DB level do you have your subs set to in the receiver and how far have you turned the volume knob on the actual sub? I currently have a PB1000 and it's set at +5 in the receiver and at about 2 o clock on the volume knob. Am I running it too hot?
Set the gain on sub higher...dont worry even if you have to put it at 4 o clock...close to max...set it so you will be around -6 on receiver and then put it around 3db hot if you like...so that the final on receiver is between 0 to -3db.different receivers have different sub sensivity...on my marantz i had sb12nsds at around 9 o clock and now my brother have them on sony at around 11 o clock and the final spls are the same...

#19,146 ·
Turn the receiver down to zero and turn up the sub to 3:00. It's better to run the sub hot vs the receiver. Ideally you like the receiver to be in the negative range to allow for more headroom.

#19,147 ·
Set the gain on sub higher...dont worry even if you have to put it at 4 o clock...close to max...set it so you will be around -6 on receiver and then put it around 3db hot if you like...so that the final on receiver is between 0 to -3db.different receivers have different sub sensivity...on my marantz i had sb12nsds at around 9 o clock and now my brother have them on sony at around 11 o clock and the final spls are the same...
Turn the receiver down to zero and turn up the sub to 3:00. It's better to run the sub hot vs the receiver. Ideally you like the receiver to be in the negative range to allow for more headroom.
Thanks fellas :D

#19,148 ·
Mine is at about 2 o'clock and set at -5 in the AVR. I'm probably going to get another and then set it at -10 for more headroom. Or still at -5:).

#19,149 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reassurance! Your answer is what I was looking for to be honest. I need something tight and fast with small form factor but also powerful. A lot to ask for a sub at this price point but I can't wait. Now I'm really excited because that's exactly what I was looking for since I'll be pairing them with new B&W CM6s. Can't wait till I have everything put together!
It has a lot of power for its size. When the bass hits it hits hard. At least in my room. Every room is different of course. Test it and get comfortable with it. If you find it's not for you and need more volume you can always return it. I can't myself imagine wanting a sub louder than the SB2000 though. I'm more than satisfied with it. And the SQ otherworldly. Just to note.....last night i had my receivers volume only at -25. I don't want to run it louder until it gets broken in. I usually listen 7 to 10db higher. The sub still performed way above my expectations.

Since sub settings are being mentioned. I would start with the subs volume at 2 o'clock. Thats where i put mine before i ran MCACC and i ended up with a -3db setting.

#19,150 ·
I'll officially be joining this community on Tuesday of next week! I ordered dual SB2000s for my setup after my Klipsch SW-115's electronics failed. It's still under warranty, and I'll repair it, but it gave me a good reason to jump to something new. Excited to test them Tuesday night.

#19,151 ·
I'll officially be joining this community on Tuesday of next week! I ordered dual SB2000s for my setup after my Klipsch SW-115's electronics failed. It's still under warranty, and I'll repair it, but it gave me a good reason to jump to something new. Excited to test them Tuesday night.
I'm getting one on Tuesday and I'm really excited but your getting two! Wow:eek:!! Congrats.

#19,152 · (Edited)
Ok, I need some advise. I am ready to order a new sub and have had my eye on the PB12-Plus. My room is 20 x 15 with a couple openings. My main interest is movies, although occasionally music (probably a 90/10 split). It doesn't look like I can make my budget stretch to the PB12-Plus, so I have been considering the new PC-2000. Is this even in the same ballpark as the PB12-Plus? I would eventually like dual subs, so my thought was to pick up a 2nd PC-2000 later in 2015 and be content with not having a PB-12 Plus. Any thoughts?
What I can tell you is check outlet section as you do and if you like also cylinder style go for it. i have dual PC12-Pluses and they are outstanding. You can get one now and get second later on. I believe have one sub for a while and then add second you will enjoy it even more change then if you both 2subs at same time. Also check classifieds there is outstanding deal on dual Ultras if you live somewhere close, can't believe it it is still available, if I have room for those they will be sold right now;)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-audio-gear/1751618-svs-pb-13-ultra-duals.html

Only what I don't know if is Bash or Sledge amp.

#19,155 ·

Setup:
- I have 5.1 Definitive Technology setup: BP8060STs as fronts, CS8040HD center, and PM1000 rears.
- The 8060STs have built in woofers. I have them dialed to the 1 o'clock position.

I just recently purchased an SVS SB-2000 sub. It is currently behind the MLP, sitting on top of a Subdude and 18" stand. I tested it last night but I feel like I'm missing something. I had a Definitive Technology SC-2000 sub in that position before this one. I was told I am upgrading but I'm not hearing/feeling much of a difference. I have the SVS dialed in at 2 o'clock.

- Should I rerun the MCACC calibration? I'm thinking I don't have to because it doesn't calibrate anything under 63Hz.
- I have moved the sub to some other locations in my room but I feel that putting it in my front stage cancels out the LFE from the front speakers. This is reason for putting this behind the MLP.

As Tomaaz stated, the sb-2000 is a little small for your size room. The PB-2000 would have plenty of bass for your room, but would have a larger footprint. SVS's ported subs are still very musical if that is a concern.

#19,156 ·

Setup:

Your explanation sounds confusing to me, as it sounds like you've installed your sub on a Subdude and on an 18" stand.

If true, this explains why you're less than impressed by the sound you're getting from it. The sub needs to be on the Subdude, which is on the floor directly.

Reactions: pacman9270
#19,157 ·
Your explanation sounds confusing to me, as it sounds like you've installed your sub on a Subdude and on an 18" stand.

If true, this explains why you're less than impressed by the sound you're getting from it. The sub needs to be on the Subdude, which is on the floor directly.

I was confused as well.

Ordered a PC-2000 that will ship on the 16th and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. What do you guys do with the leftover sub? I thought of selling it on eBay but I don't have the box to ship it and I don't want to sell it on Craigslist because I don't want anyone to come to my house and I don't want to just throw it away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19,158 ·
I was confused as well.

Ordered a PC-2000 that will ship on the 16th and I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it. What do you guys do with the leftover sub? I thought of selling it on eBay but I don't have the box to ship it and I don't want to sell it on Craigslist because I don't want anyone to come to my house and I don't want to just throw it away.

Depends what kind of sub it is and if it can be integrated into the system with the PC-2000. You can always get a custom box made for shipping from FedEx or UPS.

#19,159 ·
What do you guys do with the leftover sub? I thought of selling it on eBay but I don't have the box to ship it and I don't want to sell it on Craigslist because I don't want anyone to come to my house and I don't want to just throw it away.

I either give away or sell my 'old' stuff at a very low price to a friend or family member. My two sons are the primary recipients and they love my hand-me-downs.

Reactions: TomC1315
#19,160 ·
Depends what kind of sub it is and if it can be integrated into the system with the PC-2000. You can always get a custom box made for shipping from FedEx or UPS.

I don't have to the room or want to keep the sub, it's an Accoustech H-100, and don't plan on selling it for much.

I have a ups store down the road, do I take there and they'll make a box to fit?