AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  dfiler 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#21,482 ·
I will probably make happy both camps of people who like and don't like metal grill on SVS subs. I do have mine grills on them, cylinders , they are on top so I don't need to even thing about if I like them or not :)

#21,485 ·
PB1000 just arrived today, connected, working well in Movies, but while listening music, no sound from PB1000 ...... what is the reason?..
My system Denon x2100w + Dali zensor 7 spk.package....
Did you use the calibration mic you got with your denon receiver.When i bought my PB13ultra i had the same problem a little with music.But my setting's are good now.Make sure you set your speakers all of them to small.And make your your cross over is set to 80htz on all the speaker's.And then go to the sub setting and make sure the crossover on the subwoofer is set to 120HTZ.And let the sub be on LFE and main this should do the trick.The thing is you want the speaker to be set to small and let the sub be on 120 so that when something big happen's.The speakers will take the high notes in.While the low note's will come in from the PB-1000.This is how it should be.Hope this help's.:)

#21,486 ·
So i been playing a lot of xbox one on my home theater setup.And before i did not get much sound from my PB13 ultra.But now i do and boy is it a freaked joy to play video game's with this subwoofer.My who house shake's with video game goodness.Music,movies and gaming THIS ULTRA KICKASS IN ALL AREA'S.And it does it with smooth detail bass but with a big big punch in the chest.And that's cool.

#21,487 ·
Did you use the calibration mic you got with your denon receiver.When i bought my PB13ultra i had the same problem a little with music.But my setting's are good now.Make sure you set your speakers all of them to small.And make your your cross over is set to 80htz on all the speaker's.And then go to the sub setting and make sure the crossover on the subwoofer is set to 120HTZ.And let the sub be on LFE and main this should do the trick.The thing is you want the speaker to be set to small and let the sub be on 120 so that when something big happen's.The speakers will take the high notes in.While the low note's will come in from the PB-1000.This is how it should be.Hope this help's.:)
thanx........ will try these settings

#21,488 ·
u mean to say i have to set sub setting 120htz in AVR setup and also on the sub woofer to 120Htz? and what will be lfe crossover setting?

#21,489 ·
#21,491 ·
#21,492 · (Edited)
PB1000 just arrived today, connected, working well in Movies, but while listening music, no sound from PB1000 ...... what is the reason?..
My system Denon x2100w + Dali zensor 7 spk.package....
It sounds like you are in direct mode (on my Denon Direct shuts down the sub). Press and hold the Music button at the bottom of the remote and try the stereo setting.

Reactions: TomC1315
#21,493 ·
It sounds like you are in direct mode (on my Denon Direct shuts down the sub). Press and hold the Music button at the bottom of the remote and try the stereo setting.
That's almost the same thing i had with playing video games on xbox one.Mostly all the xbox one games run in DTS HD 5.1 or 7.1.But if you do put it on in the xbox one setting's then you won't get any sound in video game's.IN watching blurry the sub will work fine.Because the audio file's is really coming from the blurry disc and really the AVR that supports it too.

#21,494 ·
I posted this in the SB-2000 thread as well, but figured since this thread is a bit more active, I will try here as well.....

I received my SB-2000 a couple days ago to replace a Mirage BPS-150. It is connected between my pre amp and a power amp on my centre channel to give a full range centre. The levels all work out fine, volume on about 1 o'clock and LPF set to ~90 - 100. It is set to auto and is plugged into a switched outlet on a Panamax 5400.

The performance is great, but I have noticed that there tends to be a hissing noise coming from the sub after it is on for a while. When it turns on first, it is dead quiet. I was wondering if this hissing (ocean roar, low frequency) noise is normal for this model. It does not seem to change level when altering any of the controls. My Mirage OM-6 L / R speakers, with powered dual 8" subs also have a little of this noise, but at a lower level. I do not remember the noise with the BPS-150 and there is no noise from my Mirage BPS-400 LFE sub. I just wanted to see from you guys if this behavior is normal before getting in touch with SVS.

Thanks for any assistance you owners can supply.......

Cheers,
phannon

#21,496 ·
Not a fan of the metal grille at all but I keep them on because I have young children. the sub at the front would otherwise be flush w my setup, but sticks out three inches because of the grille. I can be OCD so it bothers me when it shouldn't. Regardless, they are coming off when the kids are old enough

#21,497 ·
Not a fan of the metal grille at all but I keep them on because I have young children. the sub at the front would otherwise be flush w my setup, but sticks out three inches because of the grille. I can be OCD so it bothers me when it shouldn't. Regardless, they are coming off when the kids are old enough
Just move your setup out to match the grill. I'm going to move my TV stand out to match the distance of the center to my LR mains.

#21,498 · (Edited)
u mean to say i have to set sub setting 120htz in AVR setup and also on the sub woofer to 120Htz? and what will be lfe crossover setting?

If I'm wrong here someone correct me:

I had the PB 1000 for a little while. Good sub! Good choice.

On the back of your PB-1000, set the Low pass filter all the way to the right. I think it's called LFE (not sure). This disables the subwoofers internal crossover and will let your AVR handle the bass management. Turn in all the way to the right and just leave it alone.

Run Mult Eq XT in all 8 positions. After that is done, go into the settings and check that all of your speakers are set to small.

Next, go into your AVR's setting and click on bass or subwoofer. The LPF for LFE setting is what you are looking for. This needs to be set at 120HZ and left alone. LPF for LFE is a different thing than crossover settings. All LFE tracks ( the .1 track in movies/games) can include content up to 120Hz. There will never be content above 120Hz assigned to the LFE (.1) track when the sound engineers/mixers are making the soundtrack. The LPF for LFE setting is you basically telling your AVR how much of the .1 content you want to be able to hear. If you set this to say 80Hz, then you are missing out on the rest of the bass content you could be hearing up to 120Hz. Think of it as: this is how much bass content you could potentially hear (120Hz and below), and you say how much of it you want. Setting the LPF for LFE to 120Hz means you're saying you want all of it. Kinda confusing, but I hope that explains it.

Now go to the bass setting again. I never do LFE+ Main. I always just do LFE. Try setting it to just LFE and not LFE + Main.

Now onto the crossover settings. Play with all of the settings up to 120Hz, and see if you can tell the difference. The higher the crossover the more localized the bass may be. This means you will be able to tell where the subwoofer is, since the higher the setting, the better humans are at perceiving the directionality of bass. If the sub is up front among the front soundstage, this might not be as much of a problem as if the sub is next to your seat, or in the back of the room. The key is to get the bass (subwoofer) to blend perfectly with the rest of the sound and not draw attention to itself. However, if you want more subwoofer action, turn the crossover higher. The subwoofer will have more to do when it's set at a 120Hz crossover than at an 80Hz crossover in other words.

Turn off direct mode if you have it on during music, and set your AVR to stereo or multichannel stereo for music. Assuming you did the subwoofer crawl, and put the subwoofer in the best spot for the best bass response at your listening position, you should be good to go.

One last super important note:
Your SVS PB-1000 will ONLY play what is there and what is on the recording or blu ray/game. Nothing more and nothing less. It has a pretty flat frequency response so that it plays mostly all frequencies at the same db (loudness) level. It doesn't have more upper bass output than lower bass output capability like some prefer for music. Just keep that in mind. It was an eye/ear opener for me as well when I got my PB-1000. Check my review out if you get a chance.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps you out. Reply back and let us know which settings fixed your problem. It you still cant figure it out, Ed Mullen is just a phone call away and Im sure he will help you as well.

#21,499 ·
I posted this in the SB-2000 thread as well, but figured since this thread is a bit more active, I will try here as well.....

I received my SB-2000 a couple days ago to replace a Mirage BPS-150. It is connected between my pre amp and a power amp on my centre channel to give a full range centre. The levels all work out fine, volume on about 1 o'clock and LPF set to ~90 - 100. It is set to auto and is plugged into a switched outlet on a Panamax 5400.

The performance is great, but I have noticed that there tends to be a hissing noise coming from the sub after it is on for a while. When it turns on first, it is dead quiet. I was wondering if this hissing (ocean roar, low frequency) noise is normal for this model. It does not seem to change level when altering any of the controls. My Mirage OM-6 L / R speakers, with powered dual 8" subs also have a little of this noise, but at a lower level. I do not remember the noise with the BPS-150 and there is no noise from my Mirage BPS-400 LFE sub. I just wanted to see from you guys if this behavior is normal before getting in touch with SVS.

Thanks for any assistance you owners can supply.......

Cheers,
phannon
no hum for me for now, I had my dual SB-2000 for last 3 weeks, connected to preamp through LFE with Y-connection, but it seems that if your L and R have some hum as well that it might be issue with MP or the electrical circuits.

#21,500 ·
If you have pets of the furry variety, chances are you love the metal grille as much as I do. :)

In fact, I wish other sub manufacturers offered a choice between a cloth and metal grille.
+1 on the metal grill idea ... here's a pic of my DIY metal grill for my ML Dynamo700 ...

Light Gadget Electronics Room Electronic device

Room Property Audio equipment Subwoofer Loudspeaker

PB2000 ... SB2000 ... ML Dynamo700