AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  schroedernd 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#22,821 ·
PC12 (or any of the cylinder format subs) orientation question:

I'm curious how much of a performance difference there may be when laying a PC on the floor on its side?

My HT sub placement space is limited, however the entire front area under my pj screen is available... hence the horizontal PC thought.

Dual SB2000 subs would be a nice size, but I get the impression from the forum that these sealed subs don't move air/punch like the ported subs.

#22,822 ·
Sold out.. but curious: how does it in your opinion compare to PB-1000 or PB-2000 for movie use?

Hi,

The PC-12 (with a Sledge amp) would be more comparable to the PB-2000, although the PB-2000 would have a slight edge in power.

Regards,
Mike

#22,823 ·
Sold out.. but curious: how does it in your opinion compare to PB-1000 or PB-2000 for movie use?
I already have one PC12-NSD and used to have a PB-2000. The PC12-NSD, which is essentially the same performance as the PB12-NSD, is in between the PB-1000 and PB-2000. It will be closer in performance to the PB/PC-2000, with a little less output and just a bit less extension. The PC-2000 and PB-2000 are the newer models, which replaced the PC12-NSD and PB12-NSD. The PB-1000 is the smaller, 10" sub, which replaced the PB10-NSD.

#22,825 ·
I already have one PC12-NSD and used to have a PB-2000. The PC12-NSD, which is essentially the same performance as the PB12-NSD, is in between the PB-1000 and PB-2000. It will be closer in performance to the PB/PC-2000, with a little less output and just a bit less extension. The PC-2000 and PB-2000 are the newer models, which replaced the PC12-NSD and PB12-NSD. The PB-1000 is the smaller, 10" sub, which replaced the PB10-NSD.

Thanks! What do you think, PB-1000 or PB-2000 for a 20x11x8 1800cft room (movies only)? :)

#22,827 ·
Thanks! What do you think, PB-1000 or PB-2000 for a 20x11x8 1800cft room (movies only)? :)
I've never owned/auditioned the PB-1000, but if your budget allows, I would go for the PB-2000. Your room isn't very big and the PB-1000 would probably do the trick, but for movies only, you'll get more performance with the larger, more powerful PB-2000.

Reactions: TomC1315
#22,828 ·
#22,829 ·
Darn. I was looking to get one of these.
Do you have some kind of notification.
I was waiting since few months and missed it..
No, I just happened to check and there they were. Seems in the early afternoon they add stuff to the outlet. I know when I was looking for a PB12-NSD last year I would check their outlet early afternoon during the week.

#22,830 ·
Please hold off on testing your sub at +12 in your AVR's subwoofer trim level. That would not be a good idea. What kind of AVR do you have, and where did it set your trim level? SVS's advice nowadays is to set the gain level on your sub high enough that you get a good negative trim level in your AVR. Your mention of a max trim of +12 sounds like a Denon or Marantz AVR. If so, and you have Audyssey, you want to turn your sub gain up high enough to get to about -10 or -11 post calibration. From there, you can turn it up 10 to 12db in the AVR with no problem. The danger of over-driving the sub would only come into play if you were going to be above about -10 on your MV. But better safe than sorry. So, go into positive numbers (+2 or +3, for instance) near -10MV slowly and cautiously, if at all. Here is a quote from Ed Mullen of SVS from the Audyssey FAQ:

"The reason for doing it this way is that the higher the sub volume is set, the lower will be the output level of the AVR line driver. That gives more headroom in the AVR line driver and more headroom in the input stage of the sub amp. The downside is that this also lowers the signal to noise ratio, but there tends to be very little noise with a sub anyway. By and large you're best off to have the sub amp volume relatively high and the AVR sub out volume relatively low."

Regards,
Mike

When I setup Audessy, it put my sub at -7. Now I'm going to +12. The dial on the subwoofer is at 60%. If I set the sub dial any higher, it gives me -12dB which would be bad. And Yeah it's a Denon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22,831 ·
When I setup Audessy, it put my sub at -7. Now I'm going to +12. The dial on the subwoofer is at 60%. If I set the sub dial any higher, it gives me -12dB which would be bad. And Yeah it's a Denon.

I assume that any increase in the sub dial takes you to -12. If so, that wouldn't be ideal. But going up 19db from where Audyssey set it is a lot--approximately 4 times the volume. If you really need that much more, then you probably need a bigger sub, or a pair of subs. Good luck with it.

#22,832 ·

I would rather run the sub to where it hits -12 and adjust accordingly than run it to +12. +12 is one bloated bass signal.

#22,833 · (Edited)
I assume that any increase in the sub dial takes you to -12. If so, that wouldn't be ideal. But going up 19db from where Audyssey set it is a lot--approximately 4 times the volume. If you really need that much more, then you probably need a bigger sub, or a pair of subs. Good luck with it.

It's less that I need it and more like I want to see what too much sub is like or whether I like running a super amount of bass. If I really just like more and more bass, I will probably get a second PB2000.

I would rather run the sub to where it hits -12 and adjust accordingly than run it to +12. +12 is one bloated bass signal.

So what is the major difference between setting my sub dial higher vs a bloated signal request? I am of the mind that if my dial is only 60%, there is so much overhead I should be unable to damage to actual subwoofer no matter what setting.

#22,834 ·
It's less that I need it and more like I want to see what too much sub is like or whether I like running a super amount of bass. If I really just like more and more bass, I will probably get a second PB2000.

So what is the major difference between setting my sub dial higher vs a bloated signal request? I am of the mind that if my dial is only 60%, there is so much overhead I should be unable to damage to actual subwoofer no matter what setting.

Your sub's amp is better equipped to handle the bass, just plain and simple. The amp in your sub is built to be able to handle the output to its max -even though you wouldn't want to do that - as opposed to the receiver which is just bloating the signal, which results in some nasty boomy bass. If you want to read some more on the subject, go to the Audyssey thread, which recommends never going over +3.5 db.

Reactions: DNZone
#22,835 ·
Your sub's amp is better equipped to handle the bass, just plain and simple. The amp in your sub is built to be able to handle the output to its max -even though you wouldn't want to do that - as opposed to the receiver which is just bloating the signal, which results in some nasty boomy bass. If you want to read some more on the subject, go to the Audyssey thread, which recommends never going over +3.5 db.

Didn't know this and I actually read through quite a lot of the Audessy thread. I guess I will just turn up the dial and recalibrate. Keep it under 0. at 80%, definitely going to be -12. Always learn something new here, thanks! Think I know how I will go about this now.

#22,836 ·
If the AVR signal is so high it becomes distorted then the sub amp is amplifying distortion. Not good.

#22,837 ·
I think I may have an issue with one of my PC13-Ultra's.

I bought my 1st one in 2013. It seemed to turn off during movies, then turn on after the signal is present. I thought it was normal. This one also makes a "pop-pop" sound, even when off.

I bought my 2nd last June. That one turns on really fast and stays on throughout the movie.

Might the 1st sub amp be bad?

#22,838 ·
I think I may have an issue with one of my PC13-Ultra's.

I bought my 1st one in 2013. It seemed to turn off during movies, then turn on after the signal is present. I thought it was normal. This one also makes a "pop-pop" sound, even when off.

I bought my 2nd last June. That one turns on really fast and stays on throughout the movie.

Might the 1st sub amp be bad?
Seems to me that if it makes any kind of sound when off then somethings wrong.

#22,840 ·
No, I just happened to check and there they were. Seems in the early afternoon they add stuff to the outlet. I know when I was looking for a PB12-NSD last year I would check their outlet early afternoon during the week.
Ok. That's a good tip. However it would be hard to check it at that time during work hours.
But let's see..
Thanks