AVS Forum banner
3M views 37K replies 3K participants last post by  Deaf-Forever 
#1 ·

If this thread already exists, please disregard. I looked, but couldn't find it.

I recently purchased a PB Plus/2, and have been itching to share my experience so far. Here's my 5.1 set-up:

Denon AVR 5803 (Purchased Used)

Panasonic BD-55 Blu-ray Player (Analog 5.1 Outputs)

Samsung 5687 DLP

GR Research A/V3S x 3

GR Research A/V1RS x 2

SVS PB Plus/2

PURE AV Power conditioner

Listening area is 14x17x8 living room with one 8' opening to kitchen/dining area, and one opening to hallway, laminate floor with large area rug, SVS position is RF corner next to ent center (very limited in where I could put it), listening position is center of 14' wall across from TV, Not an ideal HT room, but could be worse.

Settings:

All speakers set to 75 db, with SVS running hot at about 82 db

SVS Gain at 1/4, 20 hz tune (one port plug), used the included 3M rubber feet

LFE pre-out on Denon is -2.0 db

Listening is 90/10 Movies to Music

After more research than I care to get into, I settled on the Velodyne HGS 15x and the SVS PB Plus/2. I actually ordered the Velodyne, but it was discontinued. I had decided on the Velodyne mostly because of the smaller size and the positive experience a relative of mine has had with his. The SVS and the Velodyne seemed to be close in performance based on what I had read, but

the size of the SVS was scaring me off. WAF. She's been very patient with my hobby. After the Velodyne fell through, I decided to order the SVS rather than looking elsewhere for the Velodyne. Got the size past the wife by telling her it was a lot cheaper than the Velo. I'VE NEVER LOOKED BACK!

Support from SVS before, during, and after the sale has been outstanding. It was shipped fast, and arrived on it's own pallet, very well packaged. The manual and set-up were a snap. I have since contacted SVS a couple times with questions and comments, and they always reply quickly and seem very interested in my impression of their product. Not to mention the money I saved by going with the SVS.

It's performance so far has been excellent. I had a Klipsch KSW 15 prior to the SVS, and let me tell you, this thing blows it away, and the Klipsch was no slouch. From the sock explosion in Monsters Inc. to the Tripods in WOTW, I'm lovin my new toy.

Sorry if this was a puff piece, and again, I hope an owners thread doesn't already exist. If so, let me have it, if not, lets hear about your SVS!

See less See more
#23,501 ·
Ordered an svs pb1000 today. So nervous because I've never spent this kind of money on a sub but haven't seen a bad word on it.

I felt EXACTLY the same way giving SVS my first $650 for my PB10-NSD way back when. Now $2850 more later, I don't even blink.

The PB-1000 is worth every penny over that Sony. I went from a Yamaha HTIB sub to a PB-1000 and that was a huge upgrade.

^^ THIS.

Now I'm enjoying a PB-2000, which is almost too much sub for my space

What the...GET OUT OR BE STONED!

but I'm thinking about adding another!

Oh. Well ok then. There you go. :D

#23,502 ·
Ordered an svs pb1000 today. So nervous because I've never spent this kind of money on a sub but haven't seen a bad word on it.

I'm coming from a Sony SA-w2500.

Hi,

I think you will find the PB-1000 a very big upgrade compared to your Sony.
SVS also has excellent customer service if you run into any problems. I understand the nervous part from my own experience, but I will be very surprised if you aren't pleased with your purchase.

Regards,
Mike

The part that made me nervous is I jumped from the Sony straight to the svs. I skipped over the BIC F12, Klipsch sub 12, Dayton subs, and Polk psw505 which were all the next logical step up. I figure you only live once and I will get AT LEAST 5 years from my next sub so why not spend a few hundred dollars more and get the best of the best for the price. I probably couldve gone to the Dayton or the BIC and saved a few hundred dollars since anything will be better than my old Sony but hey, I went big lol!!!

But it was either around 200 for the next step up or 475 (open box) for the svs. I couldn't resist.

#23,504 ·
The part that made me nervous is I jumped from the Sony straight to the svs. I skipped over the BIC F12, Klipsch sub 12, Dayton subs, and Polk psw505 which were all the next logical step up. I figure you only live once and I will get AT LEAST 5 years from my next sub so why not spend a few hundred dollars more and get the best of the best for the price. I probably couldve gone to the Dayton or the BIC and saved a few hundred dollars since anything will be better than my old Sony but hey, I went big lol!!!

But it was either around 200 for the next step up or 475 (open box) for the svs. I couldn't resist.
In a period of about 3 years I went from having a Sony 8in, 50 watt sub, to a BIC F12, to a single PC-12 Plus, to dual subs with the Plus and a PC-13 Ultra. The only step in there where I truly felt like I spent bad money was going from the Sony to the F12, because it left me wanting so much more that I replaced it less then 18 months after I originally bought it. I would have much rather just skipped the BIC F12 step and gone straight to the SVS subs.

#23,505 ·

In a period of about 3 years I went from having a Sony 8in, 50 watt sub, to a BIC F12, to a single PC-12 Plus, to dual subs with the Plus and a PC-13 Ultra. The only step in there where I truly felt like I spent bad money was going from the Sony to the F12, because it left me wanting so much more that I replaced it less then 18 months after I originally bought it. I would have much rather just skipped the BIC F12 step and gone straight to the SVS subs.
That was my exact thought. I knew I would end up with the svs eventually and for the marginal price upgrade I could have what I truly wanted and I'm glad I made that move. Being upset over spending an extra few hundred dollars on a nice product is much less than regretting that you didn't buy what you truly want everyday for years. Now if the svs was 1,000 that's different. But again, it was so close to some of the mid level budget subs that it was a no brainer.

#23,506 ·

I skipped from a Regent HTIB sub to a PB-1000 and a 2nd PB-1000 14 days later (damn @mthomas47 called it). I considered every sub you mentioned. Then went SVS. Never looking back. Not even to sneeze into my elbow.

Reactions: mthomas47
#23,508 ·
SVS PB1000 and now PB2000 is the best thing I ever did compared to the 12 in Mitsubishi I had. Thinking of adding an additional PB2000 now.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Once you enter dual territory...you'll gain 3-6db...improved FR...and you'll never go back!!!:D

#23,509 ·
I've compared dual subs to quad subs back to single subs, back to back.

Going from a single sub to dual subs is akin to going from mono sound to stereo. Yeah, it's that significant. It's the same thing, once you hear stereo, are you ever going back to mono (yeah okay I know majority of smartphones are still on mono speakers, that's besides the point)?

Then, going from dual to quad subs is still an improvement. Akin to going from 5.1 to 7.1, not as significant as a jump from a single sub to dual sub but still a big deal especially if you have many seats in a large room and want good seat-to-seat consistency.

I think for most people, unless it is a very small room with only a single or 2 seats at most, a dual sub configuration would be the sweet spot. So yeah, go dual and don't look back.

P.S
I know several people in person who has meld an SVS PB13 Ultra and a SB-13 Ultra while still preserving extremely convincing bass response overall. It took them a lot of time to dial in the settings, a lot of experiment with sub positioning, room treatment and EQing. But the end result is that a hybrid setup of a ported + sealed sub CAN work if you are willing to put in the work.
The result is the best of both worlds.

#23,510 ·
SVS PB1000 and now PB2000 is the best thing I ever did compared to the 12 in Mitsubishi I had. Thinking of adding an additional PB2000 now.

I've come to believe that if you're serious about home theater dual subs are all but required. For me personally more then the extra output it was the ability to smooth out my frequency response that really sold me.

#23,511 ·

Go for it if you can, it is really like @Gene4th and @AllenA07 said. It is really great upgrade for HT set up's. It is much harder to impossible to localize where is bass coming from.

[/QUOTE]

#23,512 ·
I just bought and received my second SB2000 today. Will try this over the weekend. Any suggestions?

5.1 System
AVR: Pioneer Elite SC-65 with optional dual LFE connection
LCR Speakers: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 Bookshelf Speakers
Surround: Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000 Speakers

New sub will more than likely go where my Millenium Falcon is.

Attachments

#23,513 ·
I just bought and received my second SB2000 today. Will try this over the weekend. Any suggestions?

5.1 System

Welcome to the dual SVS family.

I only have 2 suggestions:

1. Set up properly using whatever configuration technique you prefer or have the ability to use.
  2. Send in-house family members shopping so you crank it "up-to-eleven" and enjoy your new purchase.

#23,514 ·
Looking for some help. I bought a PB 1000 last year. I was using a marantz sr6008 receiver and ran audyssey and got it set up just fine. I set the volume on the sub about 1/4 of the way and after running audyssey it set the volume at 0.0 db and i used the sub from that point forward to control the volume on the sub. The HDMI board went out on that receiver and i replaced it with a marantz sr5010. i turn the volume on the sub to 1/4, and the sub is not detected when running audyssey. If i turn the sub up to about 50% volume, than it is picked up, but the receiver sets the volume at -7? In fact it sets all the speakers anywhere from -4 to -10. Leaving it at -7 there is not nearly the bass that was there previously. Any suggestions?

#23,515 ·

5.1 System

Hi,

That roughly 1/4 wall location in front works well for a lot of people with dual subs. That would also help a lot with any potential localization issues you might have, depending on where the crossovers on your main speakers are set. Another location that you could consider is somewhere behind the listening area. Just as a starting point some sub gurus recommend 1/4 walls front and back, or diagonal corners front and back. But you will probably have to experiment a little to find out where they sound the best. Unless you have listening help, clearing the house, as Coz suggested, might make things easier for you. ;)

Regards,
Mike

#23,516 ·
Looking for some help. I bought a PB 1000 last year. I was using a marantz sr6008 receiver and ran audyssey and got it set up just fine. I set the volume on the sub about 1/4 of the way and after running audyssey it set the volume at 0.0 db and i used the sub from that point forward to control the volume on the sub. The HDMI board went out on that receiver and i replaced it with a marantz sr5010. i turn the volume on the sub to 1/4, and the sub is not detected when running audyssey. If i turn the sub up to about 50% volume, than it is picked up, but the receiver sets the volume at -7? In fact it sets all the speakers anywhere from -4 to -10. Leaving it at -7 there is not nearly the bass that was there previously. Any suggestions?

Hi,

You actually want to have your sub trim in the negative numbers to give you plenty of room to turn up the sub volume in the AVR. So, -7 should be just fine, and unless you are planning to play at a master volume above about -10, you can adjust your sub up in the AVR by up to about 10db, which is double the current sub volume. If you want to go even higher than that, just do another Audyssey calibration, setting the sub gain even higher, and get to a trim level of -10 or -11. Using a high sub gain, and keeping your trim level fairly low in the AVR, puts the strain on the sub amp where it should be.

Regards,
Mike

#23,517 ·
Hi,

You actually want to have your sub trim in the negative numbers to give you plenty of room to turn up the sub volume in the AVR. So, -7 should be just fine, and unless you are planning to play at a master volume above about -10, you can adjust your sub up in the AVR by up to about 10db, which is double the current sub volume. If you want to go even higher than that, just do another Audyssey calibration, setting the sub gain even higher, and get to a trim level of -10 or -11. Using a high sub gain, and keeping your trim level fairly low in the AVR, puts the strain on the sub amp where it should be.

Regards,
Mike
Thanks Mike for the quick reply. So i can leave it at -7, and manually adjust to lets say -2 with no issues? I thought i read somewhere on here that the goal was to get it as close to 0 on the avr as possible?

#23,518 ·
Thanks Mike for the quick reply. So i can leave it at -7, and manually adjust to lets say -2 with no issues? I thought i read somewhere on here that the goal was to get it as close to 0 on the avr as possible?

You are very welcome! Yes, -7 is fine and you can easily adjust it to -2, or even a little higher with no problem. SVS' advice is to try not to exceed 0.0 in trim level above about -10 in MV. There is some trial and error involved in all of this, and probably some cushion, as well. But you would like a nice negative trim post-calibration, with AVR adjustments as indicated earlier, in order to avoid distortion.

#23,519 ·
Welcome to the dual SVS family.

I only have 2 suggestions:

1. Set up properly using whatever configuration technique you prefer or have the ability to use.
  2. Send in-house family members shopping so you crank it "up-to-eleven" and enjoy your new purchase.
Hi,

That roughly 1/4 wall location in front works well for a lot of people with dual subs. That would also help a lot with any potential localization issues you might have, depending on where the crossovers on your main speakers are set. Another location that you could consider is somewhere behind the listening area. Just as a starting point some sub gurus recommend 1/4 walls front and back, or diagonal corners front and back. But you will probably have to experiment a little to find out where they sound the best. Unless you have listening help, clearing the house, as Coz suggested, might make things easier for you. ;)

Regards,
Mike
I appreciate the advice guys. You had my laughing over here. And then I realized you weren't kidding. I can't wait to try this out. Best placement is in the front, maybe next to the couch. I will test it all out and report what I found. Thanks again!

Reactions: COZisBack
#23,520 ·
I appreciate the advice guys. You had my laughing over here. And then I realized you weren't kidding. I can't wait to try this out. Best placement is in the front, maybe next to the couch. I will test it all out and report what I found. Thanks again!

You are welcome! Well, at least partly kidding, anyway. :p