New <$300 sub choices from Elemental Designs... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1007 Old 11-19-2006, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oh i thought they screwed up the listing on the website.. alright, well then man, i really dunno what to do

edit: man elemental really needs a web team that actually updates their stuff.. its been a couple of days now and they havent edited the simple html on the subwoofers with wrong specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Hey guys,

My name is Ben. I come from the land of Elemental Designs. Or at least a room in the building at the moment

Sorry for the delay here. Things have been a wee bit busy at the shop and I just got back into town today. We've been following this thread but a lot of the questions have come through e-mail and have been answered through there.

As far as the web site goes as of Thursday most of it should be functioning properly. If you find anything that looks out of place let us know immediately at tech@edesignaudio.com. We do our web work primarily all in house between sales and tech calls. It keeps overhead down and really is a big reason we can keep pricing this low. I just skimmed over some more of it and we will continue to fix anything that may pop up and add explanations as possible.

Quote:

should i go with two A2-300's, or one A5-300???

will the two 10" in the a2-300 beat out one A5-300 with a 500w amp and high excursion

Two of the A2-300's will have every advantage in output over the A5-300 possible. The only major difference is that your looking at obviously is the size of the enclosures. Cone area really is king.

If you've got enough interest in this drop me a email at bmilne@edesignaudio.com and as soon as the new box shows up for the LMS computer we'll run through some tests and give you some real data to show the comparisons between the products in room in whatever configuration your looking for. It just might take us a few days to run the tests.

Here is a picture of the A5-300 next to a A2-300. Keep in mind this is a pre-paint prototype A2-300 piece and obviously looks a little scruffy but the size is correct.

As far as the naming structure goes.

A2 / A3 / A5 / A7 are the series.
A2 = 200w
A3 = 300w
A5 = 500w
A7 = 1000w+

Driver designations follow the size.
250 = 10"
300 = 12"

Where it gets a little tricky is the larger / off sizes.
600 = 2 12" drivers
700 = 2 15" drivers
900 = 2 18" drivers

All the measurements on the web site are listed as a in room measurement. They are not anechoic. We are working on updating the 'how' part of the measurement this week for the website. We base our car audio products FR on in car performance so we stayed to that course with the HT products measuring them in room.

I can't stress this enough but if you see something you'd like done differently we can manufacture a product specifically for you. If your looking for different drivers / different amplifiers or have some you'd already like to use. We can likely accommodate that and build it directly into the product.

We really don't mind doing custom products. We list what we feel will be the most popular ones and mix in custom requests with those orders as they come in.

I apologize for how long it took me to get this information online. If you have any specific questions please do not hesitate to drop me a e-mail at bmilne@edesignaudio.com. I'll be in production and in the warehouse helping the guys out today to keep up so it's very likely that will be the best way to get ahold of me. While we are busy it's nothing we can't handle and it's a good kind of busy. We just need to allocate people into the right places to make sure we aren't falling behind.

I also saw spikes mentioned. Spikes are on every single one of the powered subwoofer cabinets. We are working on getting more production pictures online today and tomorrow. A2-300 pics will be online today and we'll be populating the A2-250 page more as well.

Comparing the size of the A2-300 and A2-250 here are some right of paint that are in assembly / QC / QA right now that are shipping today.

A2-250 being the one on the left. A2-300 being the one on the right. The A2-300 is obviously quite a bit larger in size but if you can fit it, the output alone is worth the extra few dollars imo.

Thanks for the opportunity to share this information with you and all the interest in our products. We're amazed with the level of openness the HT world is receiving these. It's making everyone here very excited to get the full range products shipping as well.
post #93 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Scheisse!! I'm going to have THAT in my little living room!???!!

Whooppeeee!

Cant wait for that A2-300 to get here. I hope my PJ arrives about the same day.
post #94 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmoon View Post

Hey guys,

My name is Ben. I come from the land of Elemental Designs. Or at least a room in the building at the moment

Sorry for the delay here. Things have been a wee bit busy at the shop and I just got back into town today. We've been following this thread but a lot of the questions have come through e-mail and have been answered through there.

As far as the web site goes as of Thursday most of it should be functioning properly. If you find anything that looks out of place let us know immediately at tech@edesignaudio.com. We do our web work primarily all in house between sales and tech calls. It keeps overhead down and really is a big reason we can keep pricing this low. I just skimmed over some more of it and we will continue to fix anything that may pop up and add explanations as possible.

Two of the A2-300's will have every advantage in output over the A5-300 possible. The only major difference is that your looking at obviously is the size of the enclosures. Cone area really is king.

If you've got enough interest in this drop me a email at bmilne@edesignaudio.com and as soon as the new box shows up for the LMS computer we'll run through some tests and give you some real data to show the comparisons between the products in room in whatever configuration your looking for. It just might take us a few days to run the tests.

Here is a picture of the A5-300 next to a A2-300. Keep in mind this is a pre-paint prototype A2-300 piece and obviously looks a little scruffy but the size is correct.

I like the SMB3
post #95 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 PM

Haha, I saw the NES game as well

kaosmoon, thanks for dropping by and contributing to the forum, it is always nice to see the builders answering our questions.

Any chance of boxes in different finishes instead of just the textured black? I did see the part about you don't mind doing custom work, which would always be an option, but do you plan on offering it as a stock option (ala-SVS, etc)?
post #96 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 03:13 PM

ninefive,

Models are stocked once they are listed on the website as a production item. Currently the A2-Series specifically sold about a entire months stock in about 4 days. There were a couple of A3/A5 items that shipped today that just came right out of inventory for example. That's ok. We just increase production on that model. Just takes a week or so to accomodate that and continue to expand the operation to handle the workload.

Currently in terms of speed black is the only option. The entire paint room is set up for coating items and getting them in and out of there. Other colors would be a option but aren't as appealing as a texture. A wood grain or veneer could be used as a custom request but currently isn't something we are planning to do in the immediate future. A satin black on the HT subwoofer cabinets will likely be released around the turn of the year to match the satin black finish on the towers / MTM's / bookshelf speakers.

Right now we've got so much product going into the woodshop and going directly into the paint room for the exact same finish we don't want to complicate the process before we've really begun correctly catering to demand of that product. The full range stuff isn't even shipping yet and we're keeping very busy.

The NES did come out a week ago or so The magical power pad managed to stay out of those pictures though!
post #97 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Man, just when I thought that I had my mind set in what to buy. Very very interested in what people think of the A2-300 sub. That seems like one mean sub for only $235! Put me down for two if these things perform good.

I'm your Huckleberry
post #98 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaosmoon View Post

A satin black on the HT subwoofer cabinets will likely be released around the turn of the year to match the satin black finish on the towers / MTM's / bookshelf speakers.

Right now we've got so much product going into the woodshop and going directly into the paint room for the exact same finish we don't want to complicate the process before we've really begun correctly catering to demand of that product. The full range stuff isn't even shipping yet and we're keeping very busy.

see, just when i was about to order an A2-300 (then another once i rearrange my room so i can fit it), you guys say youre doing vinyl??

i gotta say i would dig the vinyl more than the "truckbed" texture
post #99 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotchaforce View Post

see, just when i was about to order an A2-300 (then another once i rearrange my room so i can fit it), you guys say youre doing vinyl??

Yeah, Satin Black would be nice to have too but I dont think it will be worth the price premium. At the intro price of 235 I think its way too hard to pass up for me at least.
post #100 of 1007 Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM

I've taken the plunge and ordered the A5-300....Right now I own a BIC H100 which is no slouch with a BFD EQ. All specs seem to be enticing....Hopes this pans out....The A5 outweighs the H100 threefold!
post #101 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnp614 View Post

Yeah, Satin Black would be nice to have too but I dont think it will be worth the price premium. At the intro price of 235 I think its way too hard to pass up for me at least.

whats the price gonna be once the vinyl comes out??? if its that much more ill have to buy two A2-300s right now!!!
post #102 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
There is vinyl for sale on Parts Express you all can use. That stuff is easy to put on although you would have to do some sanding of the box first to get it smooth. Maybe they would skip painting it for people.
post #103 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

whats the price gonna be once the vinyl comes out??? if its that much more ill have to buy two A2-300s right now!!!

My name is Alex, I work for Elemental Designs.

At the current time we are very efficient at the painting process, to do the vinyl it will take more time and materials that we dont stock at this time. While I cannot quote a price on the vinyl. It will be more be more.

We probably wont do a vinyl A2-300 until a customer requests it be done.

Alex
post #104 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM

Why oh why do I have to stay in Australia where I can only see but not buy????!!
Arggh..

Is there any chance of getting this sub in Australia?
post #105 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflo View Post

Why oh why do I have to stay in Australia where I can only see but not buy????!!
Arggh..

Is there any chance of getting this sub in Australia?

Hop onto our website and shoot us an email.

We would be more than happy to help.
post #106 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 12:58 PM

I took the plunge and ordered an A2-300. The $235 price is only good until Dec 1st.
post #107 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 02:04 PM

I know ED's rep from car audio so I expect these to be pretty good subs particularly in the price range. The A5 looks appealing to me price-wise. Didn't even know ED did home audio... would have considered them for my mains.

Can you provide some info on the amp's features (ie, does it have phase, etc) please? Any plans on a sealed box?

I'd think doing a DIY finish on these wouldn't be too hard, sounds like you could probably order it that way from ED too.

I have sound equipment.
post #108 of 1007 Old 11-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlindeman View Post

My name is Alex, I work for Elemental Designs.

At the current time we are very efficient at the painting process, to do the vinyl it will take more time and materials that we dont stock at this time. While I cannot quote a price on the vinyl. It will be more be more.

We probably wont do a vinyl A2-300 until a customer requests it be done.

Alex

really, its not that much of a bother, as long as they shake sh!# up
post #109 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Just received noticed from eD that my A2-300 is coming Nov 27...can't wait!

Evil is Good
post #110 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post

A lot of people are dying to know more about this company's subs. You would do everyone a huge favor with a comparision.

I've been breaking in one of their 18's. It had some growing pains, but it's doing much better now. I believe their drivers should be good to go, though it would be nice to see how the whole package works together as compared with SVS. From what I've seen, SVS's subs don't lack deep bass extention, but do lack in headroom once the volume starts getting loud.

Could be a good fight eh?

YID DIY
post #111 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 07:07 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SightSeeker1 View Post

There is vinyl for sale on Parts Express you all can use. That stuff is easy to put on although you would have to do some sanding of the box first to get it smooth. Maybe they would skip painting it for people.

The vinyl veneer can be a pain to work with when it comes to the rounded corners. The rounded edges are easy to handle with the veneer - but, the corners. #$%!~ !!!!
post #112 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

So has anyone received their A2-300?

I'm your Huckleberry
post #113 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Should be getting mine this Monday. Fingers crossed.

Evil is Good
post #114 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod View Post

Should be getting mine this Monday. Fingers crossed.

I'm sure you will, but let us know what you think of it ASAP. I'm planning on ordering one the second I get paid on the 30th.
post #115 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 01:32 PM

Can't wait to hear what people think of them. I want one just want to make sure it will be a step up.
post #116 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Me too. I am way geeked up about these right now, hope I am not expecting too much from a $235 sub.

I'm your Huckleberry
post #117 of 1007 Old 11-22-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Enough of the talk.....Go for it! Think quickly....Act swiftly!
post #118 of 1007 Old 11-23-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Latest news and check out their prototype ported monster!
http://edesignaudio.com/edv2/ednews/home/blog.php?id=41

Evil is Good
post #119 of 1007 Old 11-23-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 425
After sitting down and crunching a few numbers between the single and dual driver A7---A5 offerings, I'm impressed with what I see initially anyway. These are rough calculations, but the dual 12" driver A7 comes in at around 8 cubes versus the 3 cube single driver A5 while retaining the same tune. The power supply doubles from the A5 to the A7 also. This in itself is a good thing when considering a dual driver option over it's counterpart single driver option. I guess what I'm trying to convey is if a guy plans on collocating, the A7 doesn't seem to be held back with going with a higher tune, less proportionate watts and of course the all important consideration of enclosure size. It's a good thing!..that's a very straight forward aproach that could translate out to a 6dB gain in headroom.

Did I see a dual 15" and 18" option being slated? Criminy!.. if I were in the market, or not into DIY, this would definitely be worth taking a look at. Heck for that matter as competitive as pricing is getting, it seems as though the $??ish range and below becoming all the more attractive.
Quote:

Latest news and check out their prototype ported monster!

EDIT> Take a look at the baffle Vito, it appears to be three layered 3/4.

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #120 of 1007 Old 11-23-2006, 09:24 AM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn View Post

EDIT> Take a look at the baffle Vito, it appears to be three layered 3/4.

I guess they call that an "excursion buffer".
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page