The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread...With WaterFalls - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Haunting you are referring to what is it and whos in it? If i type in The Haunting in IMDB 100 movies pop up. The only 2 that show that are actually titled The Haunting is one from the 50's and the one with Owen Wilson. Is that the movie? I have been wanting to see it since its a 5star rating but dont know which one.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 118
This one, I have the DTS copy

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/haunting.html

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you, its a bonus i have never seen that movie. Although i dont mind re-watching movies with the new setup. Good audio completely changes a whole movie

Did i mention i love movies.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I just received a used DVD copy of The Haunting in DTS for a very good price Never seen or heard it demo'd before.
Does this still hold up today even with these great Blu-ray hi-res titles now?

Definitely, your going to be blown away by the amount of LFE in that movie. I actually own almost all the movies in the three top tiers and my top three in order are War of the worlds, The Haunting and Hot fuzz. The Haunting had cabinets in the kitchen vibrating and my SVS is all the way in the living room about 40 feet away. It goes extremely low so be careful.

SEMPER FI
Old 04-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Definitely, your going to be blown away by the amount of LFE in that movie. I actually own almost all the movies in the three top tiers and my top three in order are War of the worlds, The Haunting and Hot fuzz. The Haunting had cabinets in the kitchen vibrating and my SVS is all the way in the living room about 40 feet away. It goes extremely low so be careful.

Excellent! Thanks! I hope to see it very soon, and will post back on my thoughts. If it is anything like WOTW and Hot Fuzz, I can't wait!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Bolt was as advertised--heavy bass in the first 10' or so and a few spots afterward.

Even so, to me it didn't rise to the KFP level because it wasn't as varied--seemed too "one-note" in comparison. Waterfalls would reveal that it gets pretty low I'm guessing, so that's a plus.

However, it was inconsistent as well; there'd be a part where you'd swear "oh, that's going to pound" but it didn't. The helicopter slo-mo part was decent, but nothing special or even on par with other slo-mo scenes (FOTR, Transformers)--I was hoping for a reverse sweep or something more interesting.

Call me a complainer, but I'm getting picky about the lack of solid mid-bass in movies. I'm sure the audio mixers have a hard job, but when some movies get it right (Transformers, KFP, The Island, Master & Commander), you know it's possible.

Bolt was good, but not great. Opening scene is impressive and worth a demo for sure. FWIW: 4.0

creative>energy

Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
there's a lot of good movies from decades past that should be remixed/remastered with better bass

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

there's a lot of good movies from decades past that should be remixed/remastered with better bass

GLORY is coming to BR in less than 2 months...has a TON of bass...not much below 30 Hz though....remixing will not add DEPTH!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Dudes, I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. That movie is hot with bass. Most of it is a musical bass, but there are some scenes with regular HT bass moments like the helicopter scene near the beginning of the movie. I thought it was a little too bass heavy now and then but overall a good and the movie itself is very good. I would give it 4 stars just for the bass.

Also, the surround mix was very hot. I had to turn my surrounds down 4db because the speakers were sounding loud and a little bit scratchy.

Overall, I am glad I bought this one on blu-ray.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 04-19-2009, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

Dudes, I just watched Slumdog Millionaire. That movie is hot with bass. Most of it is a musical bass, but there are some scenes with regular HT bass moments like the helicopter scene near the beginning of the movie. I thought it was a little too bass heavy now and then but overall a good and the movie itself is very good. I would give it 4 stars just for the bass.

Also, the surround mix was very hot. I had to turn my surrounds down 4db because the speakers were sounding loud and a little bit scratchy.

Who wouldve thought. Now im going to have to see this movie. I didnt have much interest in it until this statement. I hope your not fibbing because it got bumped from the bottom of my que to the middle lol.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

I had the same issue and thought somehow my Audyssy settings became corrupted...I reset the reciever to default, and re ran it..and it went away..(scratchy rears)

not same movie though..

I am no longer able to watch a movie. I am monitoring a video display with regards to chroma, brightness, contrast and correct pulldown.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Waterfall request:

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The scene where the scientists first approach the sphere in Central Park and you feel/hear what sound like huge footsteps in the distance, then the scientists ask each other, "Did you feel that?"

That one got one of the recessed can lights in my ceiling rattling like it never has before. I'd love to know what the primary frequency is of those footsteps.

Much thanks in advance,

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post

The Day the Earth Stood Still - The scene where the scientists first approach the sphere in Central Park and you feel/hear what sound like huge footsteps in the distance, then the scientists ask each other, "Did you feel that?"

I'll have to check that out. Sounds like maybe they did it right. Reminds me of one of my pet peves with many sound mixes... they have all this intense bass,then when there's a situation where infrasonics alone would be very beneficial (something you should feel, but not really hear), they don't do it. That caused a big disconnect for me during Transformers... my room was really shaking when they were outside the kids house, then cut to inside the house and one of the parents feels it and notices something shaking on the table and asks if they're having an earthquake. But nothing in my room... the shaking in MY room was significantly reduced along with the reduction in overall sound from the transformers. If they had continued with the infrasonics during that cut to indoors while attenuating the 15-20hz+ stuff, letting the transformers still be felt, but not heard, that scene would have been MUCH more effective.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Old 04-19-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched The Core (2003) a few nights ago. Some pretty good, rip-roaring bass in there.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

I'd rather they leave it alone! If it sounded wicked in THX back in the past then there is no reason why it shouldn't still have the same impact, besides it keeping the mix intact and faithful to the original.

Two versions of the film would be okay in my books, a single disc has possible STICK written over it, maybe?

Take Star Trek directors edition 1979 original NOT! = STICKS!
Superman the movie 1978 original NOT! = STICKS!

Plus I'm fanged to the teeth with double dipping BANNED the double dipping! Sigh
Old 04-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Just watched Max Payne this morning and it had ridiculous amounts of LFE The movie was pretty bad though

Old 04-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

GLORY is coming to BR in less than 2 months...has a TON of bass...not much below 30 Hz though....remixing will not add DEPTH!

I have Glory on region 2 DVD, must have listened to the mix at last 100 times plus since 1990 when it came out on VHS rental, then widescreen VHS then on PAL widescreen laserdisc and now on region 2 DVD in six-track Dolby stereo with split-surounds.

Oh, I smell re-mix on Glory I’m sure dead certain it didn’t go out in 70mm with split-surrounds because its not mentioned on the In-70mm site, 70mm Dolby SR.

LFE.1 comes in to some good effect during the assault on Fort Wagner. Its mostly James Horner score that drops down close to 25Hz and that is more than sufficient.

Oddly enough I recall the VHS PAL first edition rental being very hard edge Dolby stereo 4:2:4, that would be very rare and hard to track down now on Hi-Fi stereo VHS if its not crewed up as it will drop out of Hi-Fi to linear monaural, now then.

It would be interesting to do an A B and C of Glory from VHS first edition to laserdisc to DVD and the newer, newer DVD and maybe bluray, but I’m still not interested in the format, not for all the EMPIRE Leicester Square, now then!
Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse S View Post

I watched The Core (2003) a few nights ago. Some pretty good, rip-roaring bass in there.

Hmm, Are those independent, individual waterfalls of LCR or LFE.1 or what because I can't tell I have the film on region 2 DVD and I concur, it has lots of silly low end. The Golden Gate Bridge LOL it seems Hollywood is bent on destroying the USA!

Anyway I'm popping out to get Swiss role because it rules over LFE.1! I'll test t went I get back to see how much jam it has on spectrumlab.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

I have Glory on region 2 DVD, must have listened to the mix at last 100 times plus since 1990 when it came out on VHS rental, then widescreen VHS then on PAL widescreen laserdisc and now on region 2 DVD in six-track Dolby stereo with split-surounds.

I'm probably thinking about the consistent cannon blasts throughout the movie that I Spec'd a year or 2 ago....Most were -30 or so and evenly covering 90 to 30 Hz constantly. One of my top 3 fav films so it will be a MUST HAVE!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I'm probably thinking about the consistent cannon blasts throughout the movie that I Spec'd a year or 2 ago....Most were -30 or so and evenly covering 90 to 30 Hz constantly. One of my top 3 fav films so it will be a MUST HAVE!

It received best achievement in sound 1989 for Soundelux. I’d have to run the film though on spectrumlab, which channel as in some cases some may not have Dolby digital in the home, sod it, I’ll run the LFE.1 track only, look though the opening and final part to see which part of the film hits the lowest.

Playing GLORY 1989 NOW! If you listen to chapter 25 Assault on Fort Wagner at 99 minutes 57 secounsd thou region 1 will differ in time. Just as the Grey coasts fire the first cannon shot at the Blue coats, about midway point of the cannon blast LCR produces a cool low end, thou I’m not presently monitoring on spectrumlab, I will link the individual channels after I’ve had my afternoon GLORY bass rush!

LFE.1 is accompanied a few seconds after dong like distant cannon shot is heard off-screen as the 54th charge in, then deep LCR/LFE.1. Its cool when you leave one sub to play LFE.1 the other for LCRS, thou I wouldn’t mind one sub per LCRS balanced to produce a Glorified WOW!

But I can enhance the level of the film. Also do you find the split-surrounds soft on the region1? if you where to mute LCR/LFE.1 and listen to the surrounds its different animal.

I just take the level up on the surrounds for this one, not TOO HIGH mind you, just enough to make this film the dogs bollocks in SOUND!

Chapter 27, time 103 minutes 57 seconds GOD DAMN those muskets from the Grey coats over LCR has wicked KICK! I knew the new placement of the Eltax A-12R was good enough near the corner of the chimney beast left side front, but GOD DAMN the KICK is WICKED!

LFE.1 not present at this time, so take note! I’ll take waterfall of this chapter later on, just reporting the feel of it. The pounding of the KICK in the sofa was rapped discharging of musket fire, that KICKED up thou the back of the sofa into my spin and partly in the chest! Now that is Scary sound!

This film makes automatic machinegun sound laughable, this film has WICKED musket KICK!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM

GLORY 1989
Region 2
Road show 70mm six-track Dolby stereo SR
DVD six-track Dolby stereo digital with split-surrounds
Chapter 8
Time 30 minutes 16 seconds to 30 minutes 36 seconds.
Time 32 minutes 08 seconds to 32 minutes 28 seconds

Old 04-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Eragon needs to be on the list..decent movie..some serious bass and a good amount throughout the entire show. I didn't see it on the master list, but i'd give it a solid 4.5...
Finally watched shoot em up..4.0..killer soundtrack in the movie, bass in the songs came out really nice.

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

Old 04-20-2009, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutz88 View Post

Eragon needs to be on the list..decent movie..some serious bass and a good amount throughout the entire show. I didn't see it on the master list, but i'd give it a solid 4.5...
Finally watched shoot em up..4.0..killer soundtrack in the movie, bass in the songs came out really nice.

Agreed concerning Eragon! Strong movie with great LFE. One of my favorites. The scene where he touches the dragon for the first time shook my whole house. Very cool. I love whow the music builds up to the point where he touches it, and then it's like KABOOM....Talking about the lossless BD.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

GLORY 1989
Region 2
Road show 70mm six-track Dolby stereo SR

[IMG]

FASTER!!
soory couldn't help quoting it..NO I do not OWN Glory..I WILL own the BR when it comes out though!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:

FASTER!!
soory couldn't help quoting it..NO I do not OWN Glory..I WILL own the BR when it comes out though!

So what do you like about the left and right and LFE.1 as I did several of the same scene and the one before it.

So you know how to connect the lead to the AVR and get the waterfalls, set the AVR to 0db and let it play, like to see individual bluay waterfalls to fully convince me its worth buying.

I wonder if it will come with Dolby 5.0 isolated James Horner score like the DVD if so I guess the extras will be same or maybe some new ones added since its 20 years since it came out. The audio community is nice listen on the DVD.

I must have played the end credits at least 7 or 8 times yesterday afternoon, oh yeah I like this film a lot.

It’s too bad the DVD doesn’t have subtitles, weird?

FASTER!
I couldn’t resist.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Serenity...wow...never even heard of the movie but it sure made it feel like I was in the craft in my HT. The room, actually house, shook when the ship shook. Suprisingly an entertaining movie and is worth buying for the lfe.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how can they add more depth ?

i'm sure they could do it some how

Independence Day is a movie i'd like to see with more bass added. that movie should have WOTW type bass

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The bass would possibly increase a few Dbs somehow but it won't just create bass unless the older version had issues that a BR transfer somehow magically corrected.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Amazon has this 50% off right now for $19.99 blu-ray bassheads.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
Old 04-22-2009, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hoo?? course I was stuck paying $30 for Iron Man 4 months ago..not it's half off ..

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Subwoofers