The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread...With WaterFalls - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas View Post

I have Verizon fios and was initially very disappointed with the audio dynamics// very little low end effects.
After about two months of service I was looking thru the cable box's menu and noticed that there was a dynamic range control and it was set to heavy.
I think the options were heavy, light, and off. My interpretation was that Verizon set up my box with the dynamic range being artificially limited by the box.
I noticed an improvement right away when I switched it to off. I still don't know if I would say that it's as good as DVD quality but it's much better than it was. I think Verizon is not very wise to let their boxes go out like this because it makes their service seem more inferior than it actually is (HD service--I will not engage in a rant about their sub-par customer service).

So I'd make sure to check thru the cable box's menus and make sure there is not some dynamic range filter engaged that you are unaware of.

That may very well be our mentality, but to the general public, it would be perceived as a +, seeing as no more pesky loud commercials, or "ear bleeding" dynamics. A good majority of people see "home theater" systems as just loud noise. They are more concerned with the plot of the story, than being "engulfed" in "annoying" noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

Yes, if the provider is sending out a poor feed (like the two channel track), then it's not going to be great. Garbage in, garbage out. I'm simply saying that it seems unlikely that the DirecTV (or whoever) would re-encode the soundtrack that they get from the provider. If they are getting the proper DD soundtrack, then that is what the end user should be getting. Of course, I don't think any broadcaster is sending out HD codecs, so it's not going to compare to what you can get off Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

I disagree. I think they are compressing the audio signals (or something).

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #3063 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

That may very well be our mentality, but to the general public, it would be perceived as a +, seeing as no more pesky loud commercials, or "ear bleeding" dynamics. A good majority of people see "home theater" systems as just loud noise. They are more concerned with the plot of the story, than being "engulfed" in "annoying" noise.

My Time Warner box was defaulted with DRC enabled as well. Even after disabling it some DD 5.1 signals are crappy. Garbage in, Garbage out I guess.

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Counsil Basement HT
post #3064 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I disagree. I think they are compressing the audio signals (or something).

I agree. I am convinced that they are compressing the audio too, as well as the video.

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
post #3065 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
this is getting too off topic and falling more into the `HDTV' progamming forum guys.
post #3066 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie View Post

this is getting too off topic and falling more into the `HDTV' progamming forum guys.

yeah, i just wanted to let people know that Hitman will be on HBO this Saturday 5/2 at 10pm since it was the topic

if anyone wants to check it out, fine

if not, then don't

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #3067 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I never watch movies on TV as the dvd and especially blurays are much better. If I see a good movie on TV and I go get the dvd or bluray and then watch it. That is just me.

Well, you should watch sometimes. You might see more picture info in some movies. I just watched king kong in 1.77:1 aspect ratio(dvd,br is 2.35:1) and it looks a lot better(more picture up and bottom and nothing missing left and right), of course bass was not in same level what it is in dvd, but there was still some.
post #3068 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Liked: 10
I’m almost tempted to do a waterfall of the 1976 remake opening with John Barry’s score that has few nice low bass notes for Dolby stereo 4:2:4. I can’t be asked to play the son of the remake. Too damn long!
post #3069 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

Anyone care to explain how to use Spectrum Lab? I just downloaded it and I am clueless. I want to make those graphs or charts like JBLsound4645 does. Is there any way I can get Spectrum Lab to read a DVD and analyze the frequencies of the sound?

Just put cord your receiver sub out to comp audio in, or comp audio out to comp audio in and make sure audio/fft setting are correct(check first page), its important to check that input sample rate divisor is set to 1(or you will get misleading charts, okei i admit it now, some older of mine are). Also you my need minijacks to connect cord in your comp.
post #3070 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

this post contradicts itself. you said you doubt DirectTV sucks but you also say the audio is not as good as dvd so which is it ?

Are you serious? DirecTV is way ahead of digital cable as far as supplying high def programing. Thats what i meant by DirecTV doesnt suck. Now the audio on any HD programing no matter what the source (ive heard fios, digital cable, satellite)IMO isnt up to par with its DVD or Blu-ray counter part. I just wouldnt recommend someone who wants to hear the best quality sound from a movie to watch it on TV programing. You knew what i meant no contradiction what so ever so dont be a wanker.

List your favorite BASS movies here...http://lfemovies.pbworks.com/FrontPage
post #3071 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

I'm almost tempted to do a waterfall of the 1976 remake opening with John Barry's score that has few nice low bass notes for Dolby stereo 4:2:4. I can't be asked to play the son of the remake. Too damn long!

do us all a favor and don't !

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #3072 of 5741 Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Anyone care to explain how to use Spectrum Lab? I just downloaded it and I am clueless. I want to make those graphs or charts like JBLsound4645 does. Is there any way I can get Spectrum Lab to read a DVD and analyze the frequencies of the sound?

Use the AVR RCA phone outputs one at time. Use phone to RCA lead patched into AVR and computer and set AVR to 0db it's that simple.

I've got some King Kong 1976 ones coming soon I just use the sub bass output from the AVR for this one, unless it's King Kong 2005 which I couldn't care much about. Even the original has good bass maybe a bit bright but it sure beats the plasma LCD TV speakers.
post #3073 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

Just put cord your receiver sub out to comp audio in, or comp audio out to comp audio in and make sure audio/fft setting are correct(check first page), its important to check that input sample rate divisor is set to 1(or you will get misleading charts, okei i admit it now, some older of mine are). Also you my need minijacks to connect cord in your comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 View Post

Use the AVR RCA phone outputs one at time. Use phone to RCA lead patched into AVR and computer and set AVR to 0db it's that simple.

I've got some King Kong 1976 ones coming soon I just use the sub bass output from the AVR for this one, unless it's King Kong 2005 which I couldn't care much about. Even the original has good bass maybe a bit bright but it sure beats the plasma LCD TV speakers.

I'm using a laptop that doesn't have an audio in but it has a mic in. Will the mic in work?
post #3074 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 07:28 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

Are you serious? DirecTV is way ahead of digital cable as far as supplying high def programing. Thats what i meant by DirecTV doesnt suck. Now the audio on any HD programing no matter what the source (ive heard fios, digital cable, satellite)IMO isnt up to par with its DVD or Blu-ray counter part. I just wouldnt recommend someone who wants to hear the best quality sound from a movie to watch it on TV programing. You knew what i meant no contradiction what so ever so dont be a wanker.

no, i didn't know what you meant, this is an audio forum. i assumed you were talking the audio since that's what we were discussing here, duh

don't assume that because the audio sucks from your particular provider that it sucks for everyone

maybe you should call directv customer service and ask them why the sound sucks

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3075 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 421
So it seems many movies that are coming out have nice clean and loud bass, BUT where are big bass movies. The Last movie I watched before ripping my theater apart was The Spirit and it had some decent bass. I am still waiting for the movie that has Dark night and Kung fu panda quality and WOTW quantity. The big blockbuster movies are starting to roll out so maybe there is some hope this summer and fall. BTW, when is LOTR coming to blu. That will be an awesome experience.
post #3076 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I'm using a laptop that doesn't have an audio in but it has a mic in. Will the mic in work?

Unless you disconnect each speaker leaving only one to play with laptop near by to speaker say left then disconnect left and wire up centre. LOL It won't look too good but you can waste your time in the experiment if you have nothing else to do?
post #3077 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Anyone have any graphs/waterfalls for the depth charged scene during U-571?
post #3078 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anyone have any graphs/waterfalls for the depth charged scene during U-571?

There is couple in first page.
post #3079 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

So it seems many movies that are coming out have nice clean and loud bass, BUT where are big bass movies. The Last movie I watched before ripping my theater apart was The Spirit and it had some decent bass. I am still waiting for the movie that has Dark night and Kung fu panda quality and WOTW quantity. The big blockbuster movies are starting to roll out so maybe there is some hope this summer and fall. BTW, when is LOTR coming to blu. That will be an awesome experience.

I liked the first gunshot when Eva Mendes comes out of the water in Spirit. I don't know how much bass was there but it was loud and sounded good, or maybe it was just Eva...
post #3080 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
LOTR release date is still pending..there I go getting off topic now.
post #3081 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

no, i didn't know what you meant, this is an audio forum. i assumed you were talking the audio since that's what we were discussing here, duh

don't assume that because the audio sucks from your particular provider that it sucks for everyone

maybe you should call directv customer service and ask them why the sound sucks

Alright you win guy. But its the same thing as you telling me the RADIO sounds as good as a CD.

MK, The spirit did have some good bass what did you think of that nice mid bass BOOM when he was being lowered into the coffin. That scared the crap out of me lol. But im with you I have about exhausted all my options on bass heavy movies. I thought quantum of solace or the newer punisher warzone wouldve been great for bass but they were mediocre in my book. We need the guys who mixed Cloverfield to get a little more business.

post #3082 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew View Post

But its the same thing as you telling me the RADIO sounds as good as a CD.

no it's not the same. radio is analog and CD is digital

your provider must be compressing the dolby digital signal to save on bandwidth. that's too bad for YOU but not EVERYONE

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3083 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 PM

Liked: 15
I love my movies as all you do, i would have lost money if i bet on this. Cloverfield was on HD Sat tonight, i watched the first entry scene roughly during the party, db'd it.
Gave it 30 minutes worth. Then i chucked in my Blu Ray. No BS, it was exactly the same db scene for scene. I dunno, i would have bet the Blu Ray with plus db to boot.

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

post #3084 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just ordered some movies (The Incredible Hulk, The Haunting, Flight of the Phoenix, Pulse, and Titan A.E.) from Amazon that I haven't seen yet. From what I've read, I have some good bass scenes coming my way. I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts.

Counsil Basement HT
post #3085 of 5741 Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Well OTK you may be right it might just suck for me. But since im CHEAP and dont pay for the premium movie channels and just rent them all via netflix i dont have to worry too much. But i have bought the pay per-views they offer and my opinion stands the same. But i know you were just letting people know about a movie coming on and we started a debacle. The only shows i watch on my satellite any more honestly are LOST and HOUSE thats it lol atleast theyre pic is HD. Ok and occasionally some cartoons when my daughter's downstairs with me.. as if i need to blame her to watch cartoons lol.

post #3086 of 5741 Old 04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I just ordered some movies (The Incredible Hulk, The Haunting, Flight of the Phoenix, Pulse, and Titan A.E.) from Amazon that I haven't seen yet. From what I've read, I have some good bass scenes coming my way. I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts.

You got the DTS version of "The Haunting" I hope

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #3087 of 5741 Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

You got the DTS version of "The Haunting" I hope

No, I am trading with someone has it and doesn't care about it being DTS or DD. The DTS version is hard to find nowadays.

Counsil Basement HT
post #3088 of 5741 Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

"The Haunting" in DTS on ebay *says 2 available*

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Haunting-200...em220372061464

not only is the bass awesome but the DTS 6.1 discrete surround effects are pretty cool also

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3089 of 5741 Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

There is more to the soundtrack than just how loud the bass is. I am sure the HDTV movie was just as loud, I am just talking the quality of the movie. I use just bluray for demos now. The only DVD's I use are LOTR and WOTW. WOTW's picture is horrible and LOTR picture is good for DVD but still not even close to blu. I use a 130 inch screen so blu makes a huge difference. The sound just seems smoother and more visceral. I watch all movies at reference levels.
post #3090 of 5741 Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Haunting is an awesome bass movie, I used it many times for demos. Now I just use The Dark Night, Transformers, The Incredible Hulk, and the THX amazing life. All on bluray.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page