The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread...With WaterFalls - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 5741 Old 09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this sounds odd, but what movies can give the center channel speaker a workout? I just purchased a pair of very nice speakers along with the matching center speaker. I think the Left/Right pair of speakers sounds ok, but it's rare that I find a movie that gives the center speaker a workout. There's so much that can some out of the center speaker, such as dynamics, bass with the right movies. Any suggestions for center channel speaker dynamics, bass, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 5741 Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves View Post

I know this sounds odd, but what movies can give the center channel speaker a workout? I just purchased a pair of very nice speakers along with the matching center speaker. I think the Left/Right pair of speakers sounds ok, but it's rare that I find a movie that gives the center speaker a workout. There's so much that can some out of the center speaker, such as dynamics, bass with the right movies. Any suggestions for center channel speaker dynamics, bass, etc?

the latest superman movie. i think it's "superman returns"

in the very beginning of the movie, the planet krypton implodes and the center channel gets a hell of a work out

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #1893 of 5741 Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just watched Beowulf and there are some really choice bassy scenes in that movie. Movie itself is okay, although kinda creepy (uncanny valley effect ruined a perfectly good naked Angelina Jolie scene).

Good bass scenes include:

Grendel's first appearance (Ch 2): 0:08:14
Beowulf's first appearance (Ch 3): 0:15:34
Dragon attack (Ch 11): 1:22:05

And then the whole fight with Beowulf and the dragon at the end of the movie.

With my SVS PB13 Ultra at 1/3 gain, the entire basement was shaking and my clothes were rippling. It was epic.
post #1894 of 5741 Old 09-06-2008, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post

Just watched Beowulf and there are some really choice bassy scenes in that movie. Movie itself is okay, although kinda creepy (uncanny valley effect ruined a perfectly good naked Angelina Jolie scene).

Good bass scenes include:

Grendel's first appearance (Ch 2): 0:08:14
Beowulf's first appearance (Ch 3): 0:15:34
Dragon attack (Ch 11): 1:22:05

And then the whole fight with Beowulf and the dragon at the end of the movie.

With my SVS PB13 Ultra at 1/3 gain, the entire basement was shaking and my clothes were rippling. It was epic.

lol I sent it back to netflix like 3 days ago. When the king was being carried and then was placed down it felt like there was some low bass there too.
Also the scene with the dragon was loud.

Will
post #1895 of 5741 Old 09-07-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Funny thing, I was watching Saving Private Ryan yesterday and it didn't seem as impressive in the way of bass at all. The whole Omaha Beach sequence left me puzzled as to why it sounded so laid back. The separation of the effects are really not that great compared to recent stuff (or maybe I'm just spoiled by lossless audio on Blu-ray) and the bass is REALLY lacking during explosions.

It just goes to show how audio effects have improved in 10 years.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #1896 of 5741 Old 09-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Funny thing, I was watching Saving Private Ryan yesterday and it didn't seem as impressive in the way of bass at all. The whole Omaha Beach sequence left me puzzled as to why it sounded so laid back. The separation of the effects are really not that great compared to recent stuff (or maybe I'm just spoiled by lossless audio on Blu-ray) and the bass is REALLY lacking during explosions.

I noticed that too. I wonder if it has to do with the DVD version, since I remember getting rocked by bass in the theaters when I first saw it.

FWIW, there is some decent bass in the end of the film (when the tanks are approaching). I had to crank my woofer a bit and it was enough to send lots of vibrations through my couch.
post #1897 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well almost anything pails in comparison to Pulse or WOTW. Saving Private Ryan was in 98' ? DVD was a baby then. Plus it could have been how it was mixed for the BASS (or lack of), yes I know it won Academy Awards for Best Effects, Sound Effects Editing and Best Sound. People are more bass hungry now.

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #1898 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

People are more bass hungry now.

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #1899 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:

I am not sure if I ever uploaded some of the waterfalls I took of SPR back in the old "waterfall" thread. Pretty much what it is is that SPR doesn't have any real low bass. Pretty much nothing under 30hz throughout the whole movie. There are trails of bass below 30hz but the majority of it all is above 30hz. No cool sweeps or anything. Just relentless bass and midbass.

What I do in my setup (since I know there is NO chance of bottoming my sub with SPR) is that I may bump up the LFE by 5-6dB just for SPR. Sounds really good at that point.

So true about bass effects these days... Lots have changed.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1900 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I am not sure if I ever uploaded some of the waterfalls I took of SPR back in the old "waterfall" thread. Pretty much what it is is that SPR doesn't have any real low bass. Pretty much nothing under 30hz throughout the whole movie. There are trails of bass below 30hz but the majority of it all is above 30hz. No cool sweeps or anything. Just relentless bass and midbass.

What I do in my setup (since I know there is NO chance of bottoming my sub with SPR) is that I may bump up the LFE by 5-6dB just for SPR. Sounds really good at that point.

So true about bass effects these days... Lots have changed.

I've got no waterfalls for SPR. Would love to have some.

I'm waiting on a movie to come along and be like Pulse, WOTW, FOTP, Finding Nemo, U-571, King Kong, Transformers, HotFuzz, DOA, 30 Days of Night, 300, Cloverfield, LOTR, M&C, FOOF and Yentl all rolled into one!!!!

post #1901 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
How do you determine which movies get 4 or 5 stars? Is it the overall amount of bass throughout the movie, or could a movie with 1 or 2 really spectacular bass sections get scored that high? Does the quality of the movie come into play?

I ask because I just watched Titan AE for the first time and I see it is a 4.5 star bass flick. Master and Commander is a 5 star bass flick. Now don't get me wrong I love the cannon blasts and overall bass in M&C, but it is a long movie with many parts that are subdued and lacking in any bass. Titan AE has basically ridiculous levels of low bass throughout the entire movie with few breaks (everything from laser blasts to closing doors and then there is the whole Ice field section). I'm just wondering what got that extra half star for M&C.

BTW I like the bass scenes in M&C a lot better SQ wise and have no problem with the 5 star rating for it. Just curious.
post #1902 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

I'm waiting on a movie to come along and be like Pulse, WOTW, FOTP, Finding Nemo, U-571, King Kong, Transformers, HotFuzz, DOA, 30 Days of Night, 300, Cloverfield, LOTR, M&C, FOOF and Yentl all rolled into one!!!!

Yeah Doc, that would be the icing on the Bass Cake.

Larry
post #1903 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Yeah Doc, that would be the icing on the Bass Cake.

Larry

Yentl is one of the most under rated bass movies out there.

post #1904 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

How do you determine which movies get 4 or 5 stars? Is it the overall amount of bass throughout the movie, or could a movie with 1 or 2 really spectacular bass sections get scored that high? Does the quality of the movie come into play?

I ask because I just watched Titan AE for the first time and I see it is a 4.5 star bass flick. Master and Commander is a 5 star bass flick. Now don't get me wrong I love the cannon blasts and overall bass in M&C, but it is a long movie with many parts that are subdued and lacking in any bass. Titan AE has basically ridiculous levels of low bass throughout the entire movie with few breaks (everything from laser blasts to closing doors and then there is the whole Ice field section). I'm just wondering what got that extra half star for M&C.

BTW I like the bass scenes in M&C a lot better SQ wise and have no problem with the 5 star rating for it. Just curious.

Quality not quantity for the most part..... but on the other hand ...Hot Fuzz is the exception

M&C has great bass, plus the feeling that your on the ship being bombarded!

I can go on and on...

But... as in the first post,
Quote:

* Please rate them as you feel, I don't want to be to the only rating source.

post #1905 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

I've got no waterfalls for SPR. Would love to have some.

The hard part about SPR is the sustained sequences of LFE that would be charted. I can tell you, I have watched pretty much the entire movie (sure did watch all the parts that would have bass) with SpecLab on and there isn't too much content down low and during something like the opening beach assault, a 60 - 120 second chart would show you about everything that is going on for those 15mins of action. Not that this is a bad thing. Just won't rock the foundation like some newer movies with deeper bass. Now, get yourself a seriously ridiculous midbass setup (or any subwoofer system capable of extreme SPL) then you will be in for a treat with good ol' Saving Private Ryan. Always a classic.

Cloverfield is definitely a new "classic" regarded bass and overall LFE usage. I like it a lot.

EDIT: Oh yeah... I will see if I ever uploaded those graphs of SPR on my photobucket. If not then I will get some fresh ones out there for you all to look at.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #1906 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

EDIT: Oh yeah... I will see if I ever uploaded those graphs of SPR on my photobucket. If not then I will get some fresh ones out there for you all to look at.

thx

post #1907 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

thx

No problem...

... and by "fresh new graphs" I mean "any requests?".

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #1908 of 5741 Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I just watched Transformers for the first time on bluray and I must say the bass was better than the HD dvd version. Much better midbass punch. Also, the dialog was smoother a bit and the whole movie had better dynamics. I had to play this movie about 5 db's hot on the Hd dvd but not with Bluray.
post #1909 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem...

... and by "fresh new graphs" I mean "any requests?".

Titan AE
Mr. Brooks
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Hot Fuzz
Bridge to Terabithia
Beowulf

etc...

post #1910 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Has anyone seen forbidden kingdom on blu ray? I saw it today and the bass towards the end the movie was great. The movie was actually pretty good with those hot woman.
post #1911 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I just watched Transformers for the first time on bluray and I must say the bass was better than the HD dvd version. Much better midbass punch. Also, the dialog was smoother a bit and the whole movie had better dynamics. I had to play this movie about 5 db's hot on the Hd dvd but not with Bluray.

Darn it, thanks a lot MKtheater...now I'm going to have to double dip .
post #1912 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I liked the video overall better on the HD DVD. The bluray video was better at times but more grainy scenes overall than the hd dvd. The bass was similar but more punchy. I use a 140 inch screen so on the typical 50 inch it may look identical.
post #1913 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I liked the video overall better on the HD DVD. The bluray video was better at times but more grainy scenes overall than the hd dvd. The bass was similar but more punchy. I use a 140 inch screen so on the typical 50 inch it may look identical.

Interesting. As far as I know, they use the same exact video encode, so it's a bit odd that one would be grainier than the other.
post #1914 of 5741 Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:

That is so true. One of my friends asked me if he could come over and watch his copy of Heat because he thought it would sound great on my system. Needless to say we were very disappointed. I've never heard gunfire so muffled and there was no directionality to the bullets. After we watched it because it is a good movie I popped in 3:10 to Yuma and he was blown away by the shootout in lossless pcm. Yes, we have come a long way in sound engineering and recording.

SEMPER FI
post #1915 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. As far as I know, they use the same exact video encode, so it's a bit odd that one would be grainier than the other.

They have two different encodes, there is much argument over which is better...the hd dvd seems to not be as blocky, but has parts that are a little smoother (ie, smudged so compression is not as obvious).
post #1916 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 06:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Lets put it this way, I am keeping the bluray and giving the hd dvd to my friend because the video is very close(identical most of the time) but I like the audio on bluray better.
post #1917 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

They have two different encodes, there is much argument over which is better...the hd dvd seems to not be as blocky, but has parts that are a little smoother (ie, smudged so compression is not as obvious).

Thinking a little more about the video encode, I think I do remember them having different video encodes after all. Sorry, must have been a mental lapse (too many of those lately!)

Quote:

Lets put it this way, I am keeping the bluray and giving the hd dvd to my friend because the video is very close(identical most of the time) but I like the audio on bluray better.

Cool, thanks for the assessment. I might buy the Blu-ray version. After all, I'm going to need some great bass to test out my Castle in a month or so .
post #1918 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Iron man will be out then too.
post #1919 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Iron man will be out then too.

Very true. I remember thinking that Iron Man had some pretty good bass in the theater, so I have high hopes for the Blu-ray.

I personally can't wait for Dark Knight. That part with the gun on the rail firing bullets so they could analyze how they shattered was pretty sick. I wonder what frequency band those shots were in. I remember thinking "wow, those shots are pretty loud" - which is something I never think in a movie theater around here. That's the kind of scene that will be unbelievable on your system.
post #1920 of 5741 Old 09-11-2008, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Dark Night Prologue is my favorite demo piece now with awesome picture quality and the dynamics are awesome. I have finally decided to change things up in the theater. I will be selling some gear to make 4 dual sealed 18 inch sono's. 8 18 inch woofers total.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page