The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread...With WaterFalls - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 5741 Old 10-03-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IM Waterfalls.........seriously...I thought you boys would be all over this one and quickly!

I'm still sitting here with no BLU RAY of IM because USPS is retarded and SLOW. You would think a PREORDER of this from Amazon would get here by at least NOW considering it shipped from a PA location and I live in OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too have a PB-13 so I'll report on its performance when I get the BluRay.

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 5741 Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 907
I wish I could contribute to the waterfalls these days. I mostly find that I am picking up the Blu-ray version of things that come out now. My PC doesn't have a BD drive in it so I can't do them like I used to...

My next computer will have a BD drive in it, for sure.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1983 of 5741 Old 10-03-2008, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Revolver (2005)

nice bass shoot out in the begining

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #1984 of 5741 Old 10-03-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

Did anyone take any bass timestamps in Iron Man?

lets hope

post #1985 of 5741 Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hey, mystery solved on the weird sound made during the finale of IM on my PB13U.

I had the LPF set to 120hz, not the 80hz (my x-over is at 50hz). Once I switched the nasty noise is gone! The Ultra is cranking again!!!

Very cool...

+1 on the charts and graphs for IM.

Thanks.

creative>energy

post #1986 of 5741 Old 10-04-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #1987 of 5741 Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM

Nice, Iron Man definitely has some extreme lfe. Now in two weeks we got "The Incredible Hulk" coming out. It's going to be fun seeing how that one plays out. I got a crappy screeners copy so the audio isn't too good. On the scene where they meet Hulk at the university and they blast him with those soundwave cannons it hit pretty low LFE sweeps. I can't wait to get it on Blu in all its DTS-HD MA glory.

SEMPER FI
post #1988 of 5741 Old 10-04-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog151 View Post

Nice, Iron Man definitely has some extreme lfe. Now in two weeks we got "The Incredible Hulk" coming out. It's going to be fun seeing how that one plays out. I got a crappy screeners copy so the audio isn't too good. On the scene where they meet Hulk at the university and they blast him with those soundwave cannons it hit pretty low LFE sweeps. I can't wait to get it on Blu in all its DTS-HD MA glory.

Theres also Daredevil (Director's Cut) out now on Blu-ray. Which ranks high on the bass list.

post #1989 of 5741 Old 10-04-2008, 05:43 PM

I voted over in the audio tier thread for Daredevil as reference. It has an amazing soundtrack. There was lots of LFE as well but, Iron Man definitely tops it in the LFE department except it's a shame the rest of it's mix was sub par.

SEMPER FI
post #1990 of 5741 Old 10-04-2008, 07:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I finally got Iron Man in the mail today .
Had a hectic day with the kids all day, so when the wife got home form work I told her to keep the kids upstairs while I do some (ahem) testing in my theater.
I got to watch the first half at reference level, and man, all I can say is WOW!
The thing has some killer LFE, and a really good comic movie too.
Can't wait till I get my new theater done and then it'll really be time to get serious .

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #1991 of 5741 Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
the one scene in iron man where he goes supersonic to golmera(sp?) was sick... the sonic boom absolutely shook my house. don't have a timestamp but it was NICE!!!

definitely some fun bass moments in this one. i think its better than transformers!

My HT: Onkyo 818, polk m60 Hsu HB1-MK2, HC1-MK2, svs pb12+/2, svs pc13
post #1992 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post

the one scene in iron man where he goes supersonic to golmera(sp?) was sick... the sonic boom absolutely shook my house. don't have a timestamp but it was NICE!!!

definitely some fun bass moments in this one. i think its better than transformers!

So many people claim that Transformers didn't have good bass, but for whatever reason in my room I think it's absolutely one of the best movies out there.

I watched Iron Man last night, and while it definitely had some good deep bass action that rumbled I never felt like it was any of that "kick you in the chest" bass. My house was shaking quite a bit though during certain parts. I like when he touched down in Golmira. I remember that one shaking my house, and I think the initial explosion in the first 2 or 3 minutes may have been the loudest bass in the entire movie!

The one comment I would make about this movie was that there were multiple parts where the bass shakes your entire room, however, I also felt like most of the bass noises sounded similar to one another so the variety wasn't there as much as I would have liked. Also someone else's comments about the rest of the mix being poor I would agree with. While it was not terrible, and certainly watchable this movie did not create spaces for me like Fight Club or any of my other surround sound 'standards' do.
post #1993 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

So many people claim that Transformers didn't have good bass, but for whatever reason in my room I think it's absolutely one of the best movies out there.

I watched Iron Man last night, and while it definitely had some good deep bass action that rumbled I never felt like it was any of that "kick you in the chest" bass. My house was shaking quite a bit though during certain parts. I like when he touched down in Golmira. I remember that one shaking my house, and I think the initial explosion in the first 2 or 3 minutes may have been the loudest bass in the entire movie!

The two had different bass characteristics. Transformers certainly had no lack of bass. It didn't seem to have a whole lot of the really deep stuff. Iron Man, on the other hand, seemed much deeper. I'd love to see the waterfall charts.
post #1994 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Exactly, Transformers had more punchy bass but Iron Man had more bass overall with more output. I still like the bass in Transformers. Heck, I like all bass even if its just some.
post #1995 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:

+1...that was insane

I had just finished hookin up my new amp and sub and had quite a few people over for the movie. My neighbors couldn't have been happy with me that night

Quote:

I have to disagree I had never seen Ironman before and I was expecting more 'action' scenes
post #1996 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I watched Iron Man last night, and while it definitely had some good deep bass action that rumbled I never felt like it was any of that "kick you in the chest" bass...

I also felt like most of the bass noises sounded similar to one another so the variety wasn't there as much as I would have liked. Also someone else's comments about the rest of the mix being poor I would agree with. While it was not terrible, and certainly watchable this movie did not create spaces for me like Fight Club or any of my other surround sound 'standards' do.

Interesting point--I had very similar experience.

I loved it and was impressed with the amount and depth of the bass, but it was pretty "one-note" throughout.

E.g. when IM comes out of the cave and start incinerating everything, there's a big stationary machine gun that starts spitting at him. However, the bass is very, very low, rather than a more mid-bass sound you'd expect.

Other gunfire wasn't really punchy either--like you get on The Island, or Live Free or Die Hard.

I loved the movie, but am not compelled to watch it again as a "demo" necessarily.

creative>energy

post #1997 of 5741 Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

The one comment I would make about this movie was that there were multiple parts where the bass shakes your entire room, however, I also felt like most of the bass noises sounded similar to one another so the variety wasn't there as much as I would have liked. Also someone else's comments about the rest of the mix being poor I would agree with. While it was not terrible, and certainly watchable this movie did not create spaces for me like Fight Club or any of my other surround sound 'standards' do.

i think i may have to watch transformers again hahaha

on a side note, there were some scenes that i did feel needed a little more oomph... someone already said it but that scene where he comes out of the cave and starts flaming everyone, it was hard to differentiate the bass. it just seemed like one long bass note.

My HT: Onkyo 818, polk m60 Hsu HB1-MK2, HC1-MK2, svs pb12+/2, svs pc13
post #1998 of 5741 Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Get a PB-13 and you can hear the difference in the bass. Seriously...TRUE HD and PB-13 sounded amazing and it def was not just one bass note.

post #1999 of 5741 Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm betting 25-35 hz on that BOOM.

BUT it wouldn't suprise me if it was indeed lower than that.

post #2000 of 5741 Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I agree with Brad, not a one note type of bass for Iron Man.
post #2001 of 5741 Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Question guys. Have any of you noticed how high the bitrate is on linear PCM compared to even DTS-hd? I just watched POTC-AWE last night and the bitrate was 6.9 mbps and stayed that way the whole time. The sound was awesome. Are all uncompressed tracks this high(I also noticed this on The Wild)? I say forget the true hd and dts-hd and just put uncompressed audio on it. I know it takes up alot of space but it was very dynamic, smooth, and detailed.(more than ever). Oh yeah, the bass was great as well.
post #2002 of 5741 Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Transformers on BR in my room is just sick!!!

Same goes for Iron man....the Jerico explosion demo scene shook my room

How do I create the waterfall measurements during a movie? I would love to see some graphs of the scenes in my room.

I have the equipment and the notebook PC, what software?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #2003 of 5741 Old 10-08-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Transformers on BR in my room is just sick!!!

Same goes for Iron man....the Jerico explosion demo scene shook my room

How do I create the waterfall measurements during a movie? I would love to see some graphs of the scenes in my room.

I have the equipment and the notebook PC, what software?

Not sure but the waterfalls are created by analyzing the content on the disc, not in your room. Meaning if you want to do waterfalls of Iron Man bass scenes from your BD disc then you would need a BD player on your laptop in order to take such measurements. This has nothing to do with room response, only the source material itself and what's contained on the disc.
post #2004 of 5741 Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:

*Taken from the Iron Man trailer on the Transformers HD-DVD*

That big red blob at the top is when he goes supersonic.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #2005 of 5741 Old 10-09-2008, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Not sure but the waterfalls are created by analyzing the content on the disc, not in your room. Meaning if you want to do waterfalls of Iron Man bass scenes from your BD disc then you would need a BD player on your laptop in order to take such measurements. This has nothing to do with room response, only the source material itself and what's contained on the disc.

I have a BD player on my HTPC but I still thought we could measure the movie in our rooms.

If not waterfall stuff, is there something else that I can use to measure what is happening my room during different scenes in movies?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #2006 of 5741 Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Horton Hears a Who!" Blu-ray DTS-HD:MA
1. Chap ? (0:22:40) 6-22Hz WaterFall

Thanks to Jesse S
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14848563

post #2007 of 5741 Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM

so i watched Iron Man on Blu this weekend...and wow! thats all i can say is wow!

the question is....why is it only 4 stars????!?! i think it should be bumped higher than that...but thats just me...too many scenes that made me go WTF?!?! (like cloverfield)...just my 2cents
post #2008 of 5741 Old 10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdk2007 View Post

so i watched Iron Man on Blu this weekend...and wow! thats all i can say is wow!

the question is....why is it only 4 stars????!?! i think it should be bumped higher than that...but thats just me...too many scenes that made me go WTF?!?! (like cloverfield)...just my 2cents

It's definitely not 5 stars. Flight of the Phoenix, and Return of the King both easily best Iron Man.

Arguing over 4 or 4.5 stars though.. not really sure what the difference is. I do agree though that it was comparable to Live Free or Die Hard which is rated 4.5 stars. It's also comparable to Transformers though in my opinion which is rated 4 stars. Sort of splitting hairs at that point though isn't it?
post #2009 of 5741 Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Live Free or Die Hard which is rated 4.5 stars.

LFODH is currently in the 5 stars category...
post #2010 of 5741 Old 10-13-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I say forget the true hd and dts-hd and just put uncompressed audio on it.

All other things being equal, TrueHD, DTS MA, and uncompressed PCM should all be exactly the same except for the bitrate. It's no different than saving a big spreadsheet directly, or zipping it up. Uncompressed PCM will have a constant bitrate since it's, well, not compressed.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page