The Master List of DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Movies with BASS Thread...With WaterFalls - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Picked up a copy on my lunch. Came home and watched the opening and the Batmobile/Batpod action scene. WooooooOOoo!!! My twin 18's were ROCKING my side of the house. Whew. I can't imagine what it will be like when I add the second pair of 18's.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Bass movie of the week can be changed to The Dark Knight now. There are many awesome moments of Bass.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I just got finished watching it as well and it is extremely impressive throughout. Low bass in spades, but the most impressive thing were the bass hits that kick you right in the chest. This movie seems to have done it better than any other I've heard. Highly recommended.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 522
The Dark Night just flat out sounds fantastic with the full spectrum. The bass has slam and extension. That scene when he fires several rounds on that computer gun is just awesome.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
All these positives are great to hear. Tonight I will be able to check it out as well. I have high hopes.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Got my copy of The Dark Knight! I'm planning to watch it soon. Hopefully it'll give the Ultras a good workout!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

The Dark Night just flat out sounds fantastic with the full spectrum. The bass has slam and extension. That scene when he fires several rounds on that computer gun is just awesome.

I noticed this part played back on my system to be lacking the real loudness and dynamic 'crack' of each shot like I heard at the theaters. Although I know its just the mains not keeping up with my volume needs. Must have sounded perfect on your JBL cinema speakers.

Looks like I will be going 'horn loaded' in 2009.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 12-10-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I watched a NetFlix'd copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth last night . Warning! Under no circumstances should anyone ever watch this film. It is hands down one of the worst, most painful to watch movies I have ever seen. EVER. The acting is utterly atrocious. The plot is even stupider than it had to be in the first place and the CGI is so bad I could barely watch it. I give it -.5 stars. Seriously it is incredibly terrible. We were cracking jokes and making fun of it the whole time and that's the only way we made it through. It does have some decent bass in it but it can't save this turd.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

I watched a NetFlix'd copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth last night . Warning! Under no circumstances should anyone ever watch this film. It is hands down one of the worst, most painful to watch movies I have ever seen. EVER. The acting is utterly atrocious. The plot is even stupider than it had to be in the first place and the CGI is so bad I could barely watch it. I give it -.5 stars. Seriously it is incredibly terrible. We were cracking jokes and making fun of it the whole time and that's the only way we made it through. It does have some decent bass in it but it can't save this turd.

Thanks for the heads-up! Seems like I had read this soemwhere before as well.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Agree...and I was stupid enough to buy it in blue ray - 3d...the 3d was the only thing I could say made it some what entertaining...and thats pushing the word "entertaining".
Old 12-10-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

I noticed this part played back on my system to be lacking the real loudness and dynamic 'crack' of each shot like I heard at the theaters. Although I know its just the mains not keeping up with my volume needs. Must have sounded perfect on your JBL cinema speakers.

Hearing dynamics like that at the theater is the reason why I wanted that sound. It is even better at home with much better and much deeper extending subs. It was just as dynamic as theater and made people duck in my room. I love this movie and the bass is great as well.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

That's what I'm afraid of as well. Got plenty of subwoofage but I had a feeling the shots were probably 100hz or above. I doubt my mains will do that scene much justice either . That was the one scene in the theater that really impressed me with impact. I'm sure the rest of the movie will be better at home
Old 12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I just finished my first viewing and was quite impressed. SQ/PQ were faboulous. It was eerie seeing Heath Ledger's last role as an actor though...
Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

U rated it higher than I did..

HH
Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

That's what I'm afraid of as well. Got plenty of subwoofage but I had a feeling the shots were probably 100hz or above. I doubt my mains will do that scene much justice either . That was the one scene in the theater that really impressed me with impact. I'm sure the rest of the movie will be better at home

100hz?? hmm....can we get a waterfall

That would be a perfect reason for an MBM.

The more I think about it the more I see reasons for an MBM type sub.

SUB to handle 60hz and BELOW.
MBM to handle 60-150hz
Mains and others to handle 150hz and above

This scene might make a strong point for it if it it is centered ABOVE 60-70hz...

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

Old 12-10-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

Agree...and I was stupid enough to buy it in blue ray - 3d...".

I'm truly sorry for your loss (bows head in a moment of silence). Perhaps you should go to the directors house and ask for a refund like on the episode of Southpark where they watch the Passion of Christ and go to Mel Gibson's house.

"You wanna whip me don't you!? Don't you!?"
Old 12-10-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

100hz?? hmm....can we get a waterfall

That would be a perfect reason for an MBM.

The more I think about it the more I see reasons for an MBM type sub.

SUB to handle 60hz and BELOW.
MBM to handle 60-150hz
Mains and others to handle 150hz and above

This scene might make a strong point for it if it it is centered ABOVE 60-70hz...

I disagree with the earlier statements that this scene was not as impactful at home as in the theater. My mains are Salk SongTowers which have good usable response down to 38 hz (from 5.5" drivers!) and I have the standard THX crossover point of 80hz and this scene had TONS of impact!!
Old 12-10-2008, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I disagree with the earlier statements that this scene was not as impactful at home as in the theater. My mains are Salk SongTowers which have good usable response down to 38 hz (from 5.5" drivers!) and I have the standard THX crossover point of 80hz and this scene had TONS of impact!!

Honsestly, I felt it had tons of impact as well. Made me jump out of my seat...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I ran some tests.

Speakers ON and SUB ON
Sounded amazingly powerful with punch to me.

Speakers ON and SUB OFF
I really didn't feel like there was much above the 80hz cross over I'm running. Sure there was some but nothing that would make me think it was over 80hz.

Speakers OFF and SUB ON
This is where the bass really was. First pulse was around 105db, but then the next few got STRONGER to the tune of 110-112db. Very PUNCH you in the chest and GONE feeling.

In summary I am going to bet it is around 40-50hz area for the shots.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Got finished watching The Dark Knight on DVD and just like everyone else here said...It's amazing in every aspect. Clipped my amp on the heavy bass scenes. +1 vote for the new bass movie of the week/month/year.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 View Post

I haven't actually seen it at home yet so I can't be sure. It's just when I saw it in the theater the rail gun shots seemed to be a higher frequency than most of the bass we like to drool over here on AVS . Glad to hear the scene was good on your setup - give me some hope. I'm just preparing to be underwhelmed so I can be pleasantly surprised.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe I am missing something, but the lfe just wasn't that great...good, but not great...the last hour, there seemed to a severe lacking of lfe with certain scenes. Thought maybe it was my setup, but never had a problem in the past with other movies rated high in the lfe. I guess I was expecting more.

With that being said, I was impressed with the mid bass, gun shots. I have a pair of mbm's nearfield and 3.3 in the corner. I truly am a believer in this concept of splitting the frequency. Some real quick chest hitting material with those shots.

Yes it was a "good" bass movie, but IMO, not great.

The joker character was excellent, but not sure why they had batman talk nasally, like his nose was being pinched. It really started to annoy me after a while, but still entertaining pic.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I think the voice was sort of part of Batman's disguise. The idea is to keep people from noticing that he sounds a lot like Bruce Wayne.

I not sure why your LFE should be lacking in this movie. Although the bass is mainly confined to the action scenes, during those scenes it sounds both strong and deep.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, agreed. IMO, the most bass output occurred when the hospital was blown up. I was hitting 108-109 dB uncorrected during that scene (15 dB below reference on the MV). There were numerous high impact scenes throughout though.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:28 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I think the voice was sort of part of Batman's disguise. The idea is to keep people from noticing that he sounds a lot like Bruce Wayne.

couldn't they just give him a pair of glasses like Clark Kent ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

couldn't they just give him a pair of glasses like Clark Kent ?

Now that's just hokey.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something, but the lfe just wasn't that great...good, but not great...the last hour, there seemed to a severe lacking of lfe with certain scenes. Thought maybe it was my setup, but never had a problem in the past with other movies rated high in the lfe. I guess I was expecting more.

With that being said, I was impressed with the mid bass, gun shots. I have a pair of mbm's nearfield and 3.3 in the corner. I truly am a believer in this concept of splitting the frequency. Some real quick chest hitting material with those shots.

The joker character was excellent, but not sure why they had batman talk nasally, like his nose was being pinched. It really started to annoy me after a while, but still entertaining pic.

I am probably one of the pickiest bass members on this board and I would even say this movie was worthy of 4.5 stars. It is not perfection like WOTW and Colverfield, but it is pretty darn close.

Sure the hospital scene was powerful (30-50hz area) and the gun shots were powerful (I'm betting 40-60hz area), but scenes that really made you feel it where when the batmobile was present. These scenes just had this low end feel and sound that really made a difference.

I also watch the movies pretty loud. -6db from Reference was my listening volume with the sub running 1db MAYBE 2db HOT.
The difference in overall Master volume might impact your expereince too. croseiv said he was hitting 108-109 dB uncorrected during that scene.

I was hitting near 113-114db uncorrected. Those 5db of energy really do make a difference in not only the sound, but the feeling.

If you have the headroom and can stand it crank the movie up a little more and see if you feel differently. I have the headroom to achieve that level because my room is only 1800cu ft and basically sealed, so my Ultra easily reaches levels near 115db.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu View Post

I am probably one of the pickiest bass members on this board and I would even say this movie was worthy of 4.5 stars. It is not perfection like WOTW and Colverfield, but it is pretty darn close.

Sure the hospital scene was powerful (30-50hz area) and the gun shots were powerful (I'm betting 40-60hz area), but scenes that really made you feel it where when the batmobile was present. These scenes just had this low end feel and sound that really made a difference.

I also watch the movies pretty loud. -6db from Reference was my listening volume with the sub running 1db MAYBE 2db HOT.
The difference in overall Master volume might impact your expereince too. croseiv said he was hitting 108-109 dB uncorrected during that scene.

I was hitting near 113-114db uncorrected. Those 5db of energy really do make a difference in not only the sound, but the feeling.

If you have the headroom and can stand it crank the movie up a little more and see if you feel differently. I have the headroom to achieve that level because my room is only 1800cu ft and basically sealed, so my Ultra easily reaches levels near 115db.

Agreed on all of this. We have to remember that the subwoofer plays the largest role here. You have an Ultra and I have an Epik Tower and both are properly calibrated/integrated into our systems. Both are also some of the very best subwoofers available today, meaning in the top 5-10% of products on the market right now. Yes there are better, and yes DIY ... well you get the idea. I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. Just stating what's painfully obvious here. If I did not have the Tower then this movie wouldn't be what it is which is a first class movie in all sound editing regards. I'd also give it 4.5 stars. If judging based on the amount of "content throughout" I'd give it 5 stars. Sure Flight of the Phoenix has one of the most ridiculous bass scenes ever, but it's not impressive all the way through the film. The Dark Knight is.

I think we should find out what others are using to find out if it's a weakness of the system or maybe something else. I watched the movie in Dolby Digital on Blu-Ray as I do not have TrueHD or DTS MA capabilities in my system. I wish I did!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you would find that when it comes to bass, TrueHD or DTS MA will not make that much difference. It all gets down to how the engineers mixed the tracks.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Can't wait to give it a full go with my SubMersive . I am predicting a fun time .

It ain't easy being green.
My System

Tags
Blu Ray Players , Subwoofers