post #271 of 9619 Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbondioli View Post

Why does the BMF amp say "Rocket UFW-12"?
Is this just a prototype?

That was an "alpha" unit. It is going to use the same basic amp as the UFW-12, but it will be obviously modified for the BMF-1 (different filters, eq, limiter, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 9619 Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 188
While the core amplifier might be the same, it is all in how you use it.

The UFW-12 is a much less sensitive, smaller, 12" sealed subwoofer. At 20Hz the BMF is about 10dB more sensitive than even the new Mk2 version of the UFW-12! 1000W will do nicely when appropriately unleashed.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #273 of 9619 Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

The UFW-12 is a much less sensitive, smaller, 12" sealed subwoofer. At 20Hz the BMF is about 10dB more sensitive than even the new Mk2 version of the UFW-12! 1000W will do nicely when appropriately unleashed.

Good thing I will have 2 Mk2 UFW-12s and a BMF in my future HT Plus maybe something else.
post #274 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update: Most of my movie watching as of late has been with friends who complain about how loud the movie volume is so (much to my dismay) i've been forced into watching movies at a paltry level.

I made some time to watch Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy (one of my favorite recent movies) and listened to it at reference. Man do i love these subs..... Even at a lower volume the subs were impressive but i forgot just how much MORE impressive they are at reference. (the stuff with the improbability drives is so much fun to listen to) I just wanted to thank you again for making such a great product....

Bad Wallet! Bad Bad Wallet!
post #275 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
post #276 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
In just a few weeks I will be able to join in the fun. Mark and I are trying to schedule a time to do this. I am hoping 2-3 weeks. Man I can't wait to get this into my room.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #277 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I should add more to this very quick explanation of what the intent is. Below ~25Hz, I expect the headroom of 2-3 SubMersives, and 3-6dB more above 25Hz. The other factor is that for probably 98% of their use, the driver being developed will never have to move to its conventionally rated, "linear" limits. In other words, the linearity will be exceptionally good at all operating levels.

The other purpose here is to fill the largest rooms to the performance levels we're starting to reach in moderate sized rooms without having to use 4-8 SubMersives. The SubMersive 2 is to be a performance leader and trend setter, not just the most bang for buck. It will be quite impressive for the package size.

Will the SubMersive 2 have the same slope down low? (=-12dB / octave)

You said that small to medium sized rooms tend to gain advantage from this curve, so my guess is maybe you'll be using a different one for the SM 2. You could add a switch to compensate for room size..

Would make a mighty good upgrade/addition for my upcoming SubMersives.
post #278 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I reviewed the entire thread before asking this.

I have a serious interest in this sub, but I'm curious about one thing: what does the DRIVER look like?

If it can't be shown (OEM), I understand. If nobody wants to disassemble (Warranty?), I understand. But I like big, beefy, Huge, motors, top assemblies, etc.

Curious why it hasn't been discussed/shown.
post #279 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi John,

I believe I showed a simple side shot of the driver a long while back in a thread where we got into details about "sealed subs." That said, I haven't shown the driver much, as the driver is the means, not the end. The same motor on a 12" frame looks much cooler, but doesn't help the resulting performance any. By some of the often raved about drivers, they are somewhat pedestrian looking, but well optimized for the task. That effort in optimizing the driver is why I can get 2 15" woofers to perform in such a small enlcosure, thereby not requiring 4" p-p travel and the hurdles and pitfalls of such a driver. While I'm certainly a fan of excess, there needs to be a purpose and benefit to significant cost additions. As I have long stated, it is usually more important to use the right tool for the job than to use the the one with coolest new features and buzzwords.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #280 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Hi John,

I believe I showed a simple side shot of the driver a long while back in a thread where we got into details about "sealed subs." That said, I haven't shown the driver much, as the driver is the means, not the end. The same motor on a 12" frame looks much cooler, but doesn't help the resulting performance any. By some of the often raved about drivers, they are somewhat pedestrian looking, but well optimized for the task. That effort in optimizing the driver is why I can get 2 15" woofers to perform in such a small enlcosure, thereby not requiring 4" p-p travel and the hurdles and pitfalls of such a driver. While I'm certainly a fan of excess, there needs to be a purpose and benefit to significant cost additions. As I have long stated, it is usually more important to use the right tool for the job than to use the the one with coolest new features and buzzwords.

In the meantime, I have room for 2 SUBmersives here ... and have been waiting since early December for their arrival. The Fathoms thing the SUBmersives are nervous or something ...

Ok ... seriously ... any idea on when you will be shipping again ?
post #281 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

In the meantime, I have room for 2 SUBmersives here ... and have been waiting since early December for their arrival. The Fathoms thing the SUBmersives are nervous or something ...

Ok ... seriously ... any idea on when you will be shipping again ?

Craig....

I will be having a GTG either late Feb or early march if you need a fix your more than welcome to come up to detroit, your only a few hrs away

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #282 of 9619 Old 01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

As I have long stated, it is usually more important to use the right tool for the job than to use the the one with coolest new features and buzzwords.

come on mark, we all know its not only fun but real cool to hunt squirels with a M1a1 tank

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #283 of 9619 Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

Based on the numbers and FR graphs, you've accomplished the goals. Mostly I'm curious. Any numbers you care to share? (magnet, travel, power handling, Q, etc?).

Reviewing the entire thread just made me impatient all over again!
post #284 of 9619 Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

AAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Mark, are we going backwards? Just noticed your posts don't have the web address anymore. (yes, I know it was never active, but at least it was in sig before)

Seriously, I hope things are going well, and finalized dates are closer.

(Impatient little $h!t, ain't I)
post #285 of 9619 Old 01-29-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi John,

Sorry, the website was never linked or listed in my signature, as that is also against forum policy. All of the subs I'm building at the moment are committed or I have multiple people who have expressed interest. Unfortunately I expect availability will be limited until the end of March. Thanks for whatever patience all of you have left.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #286 of 9619 Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Must be gettin senile - maybe somebody else listed it at some point.
post #287 of 9619 Old 01-29-2007, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Schneider View Post

Must be gettin senile - maybe somebody else listed it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 View Post

It will be http://seatonsound.com/, but it still not online. He's been a very busy man.

It had been posted a few post back.
Allen
post #288 of 9619 Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I hope SeatonSound has a real page online one day,as I would be very interested in his products,as I am sure many others would be too.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #289 of 9619 Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Mark, how would one think about the "trade offs" between a pair of Submersives vs a pair of BMFs?

My room is 18L x 12H x 13W. System is used for both music and for home theater purposes.

Mains will be custom made sealed line arrays rolling off naturally around 80hz (most likely a line of 5" Accutons and a line of ribbons, although might end up with a line of 7" Accutons for a lower roll off point). Surrounds are small GR upward firing units.

Have Meridian PEQ, which I occasionally supplement with Behringer PEQ. Also have pretty extensive bass trapping in ceiling and wall juncture soffits. Only four chairs, and I'm happy optimizing for only mine as long as two of the other three don't have horrible sound.

Currently have two James EMB15s up front, and a Def Tech Supercube at the rear to even out the response curve. I could keep, or sell, all three of those units.

Thinking two of your units up front, and then the James on the sides and the Def Tech in the rear, with those latter three being used to "fill in" rather than energize the room. (Do you think / suspect the additiona units would help much, or would two of your units plus generous PEQ be plenty?)

Your thoughts about how to think about procuring my next batch of subs?
post #290 of 9619 Old 02-11-2007, 04:46 PM

Mark,

Can you connect the Submersive to an unbalanced connection without converting the signal to +4 balanced?
post #291 of 9619 Old 02-11-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousdavid View Post

Mark,

Can you connect the Submersive to an unbalanced connection without converting the signal to +4 balanced?

Mark would be the best person to answer it, but here is what I did.
I think the submersive has a similar (same?) amp as the powered version of the Danley DTS-20. I ran into the same issue. I followed Ivan's instructions in post #55 in this and it worked like a charm. It involved a very minor soldering job or you can buy one of those adapters.
-Jai
post #292 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousdavid View Post

Mark,

Hi David,

Yes, there is no problem in doing this. Ideally you use a cable that is RCA on the processor or EQ end and XLR on the sub end. The since many do have cables run in walls that are already RCA terminated, I am including with the subwoofers a simple connector that allows for easy RCA connection so there are no delays in getting connected. Some good value interconnects I have been using are from Markertek. Their house brand using the star-quad wiring is of good quality and good price in comparision to audiophile options. The only thing to watch out for is that their "premium" RCA connectors have a wide body that can get tight on the back of receivers and pre-processors.

To those I owe e-mails and messages, I had a simultaneous setback and good news. The good news is that the SubMersive will be readily available in mid-late March. The setback has me swamped in work right now. Go figure.

I'll be contacting people in the next few weeks who have expressed interest, and of course I fully understand those who are unable to wait.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #293 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM

put me on your list Mark.......
wanna have your "wimpy" sub desperately
post #294 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Patience is the key. I have it . I am looking forward to this. It should be quite an improvement over what I have now. I can't wait to feel the difference . It shouldn't be long now.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #295 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mark:
I have Contrabass mated and Crown K2. ( I also have a Velo DD-18 )
For LFE purposes only ( not 2-channel integration ), is there any merit to me parting with the Contrabass, and acquiring a SubMersive1 ?
The reason I ask is that the Contrabass is hard to hide, and I wouldn't mind a smaller solution.

- Andy
post #296 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lammer View Post

Mark:
For LFE purposes only ( not 2-channel integration ), is there any merit to me parting with the Contrabass, and acquiring a SubMersive1 ?
The reason I ask is that the Contrabass is hard to hide, and I wouldn't mind a smaller solution.

- Andy

Andy,
You are welcome at my place some weekend. I'm still amazed at the amount of structural/ visceral effects from these beauties. As with many things an experience might be worth a lot in making a decision.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #297 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Lammer View Post

Mark:

- Andy

Any excuse for a trip to Art's is worth taking.

A single SubMersive will not match the sub 25-30Hz output of the ContraBass which is much larger. Two SubMersives will equal the 18-20Hz output of a ContraBass, and pull ahead everywhere else. The significantly larger BMF I'm designing for AV123 is still a few months off but will be very much in line with the performance of the ContraBass. Subjectively they are much closer than just looking at 20Hz output would suggest. A better comparison might be that one SubMersive should have the un-compressed dynamics of ~2 of your DD-18s.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
post #298 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Exactly the kind of info I was looking for Mark, thanks.
It's still good to hear the Contrabass is still one of the low-LFE kings.
The comaparison to the DD-18 alse gets my brain scheming.

Geez, sold my original DD-18, then picked up an SMS-1, sold the SMS-1, re-acquired my same DD-18.
Now methinks -> keep Contrabass, sell DD-18, get SMS-1 and SubMersive1 ! ( I do have a spare K1 lying around too )
Such run-around we go through sometimes

And yes, I will have to take Art up on his offer to check-out his SOTA theatre !

- Andy
post #299 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

What connecivity is on the SubMersive1 ?
Is it passive or does it have a plate amp ?
If it is a plate amp, does it have a balanced input ?

- Andy
post #300 of 9619 Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Andy,

I think at the beginning of this thread and in the pictures taken at Art's there are a few shots of the amplifier. The input is only via XLR. The input is isolated from any ground loop problems itself unless they are injected upstream. As noted in my post above, there is no problem connecting to an RCA output of a pre-amp or EQ. There is also a looping/passthrough XLR connection which makes it easy to link multiple subwoofers without splitting and excess cabling. The SubMersive is internally powered by a 1000W amplifier, plug'n go.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page