AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

Millerwill, how are your cat8cs doing?
Can you elaborate as to your sense of them in your space?
I have a similar size space in my basement, a wee bit smaller but
My dream is to put cat 8s and sparks down there some day!

Happy listening

I'm no audiophile, so my observations are not nearly as informed as many here. BUT, I find them amazing. I came from 3 Ascendacoustics Sierra-1's, also from an excellent internet direct company (Dave Fabricant), and a very fine product in their price range (and above). However even I can tell the Cat 8C's are another animal: a fuller, richer sound, yet so detailed, and never fatiguing even when I rev everything up to 0 (fortunately neighbors' houses are not too close!) I know this is not a precise analysis, but probably the best I can do.

I also note that they go great with the SubM/HP, x-overed at 80 Hz. (And I have 5 Ascendacoustics HTM-200's as surrounds.) And since the Cat's are self-powered, my Onk 3008 AVR is only driving the surrounds, so there's enormous headroom available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6752 of 9667 Old 05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
For a 2000+ cf room, two would probably be fun. One HP is quite fun in my 1000cf room. Good to hear about the Cat series as well. I have heard them twice and I was impressed with their clarity and dynamics. A pretty hefty speaker if you want the no holds barred system.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6753 of 9667 Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

This is one area where I see no future upgrades for me. I have 4 SubMersive HP's in a 3800cf room. Flat down to about 7 hz. Other than some additional room treatment to deal with a specific room issue I am having, and maybe some whizbang new SSP, I'm good. I have no interest in 3D and have a new PJ and external scaler.

My future expenditures will be more movies and music.

4 HP's I will have to request a listening when I am in Alpharetta for work

My 1 makes me from-ear-to-ear

post #6754 of 9667 Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post

4 HP's I will have to request a listening when I am in Alpharetta for work

My 1 makes me from-ear-to-ear

Please PM me the next time you will be here and i would love to meet you!

Chuck

R 8:28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6755 of 9667 Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Anybody in this forum running a full range system for HT?

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6756 of 9667 Old 05-11-2012, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Anybody in this forum running a full range system for HT?

Japan Dave is/was, but I think he's only on Seaton Sound forum.
post #6757 of 9667 Old 05-12-2012, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No,
He occasionally posts over here. (By the same nane)

--Carl
post #6758 of 9667 Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Brian from GIK fixed me up with a room package so I will be spending some time building my HT room. The room is sealed and is 12 X 19, so with my JTR speakers and 3 Submersive HP's it should be pretty cool. Looking at seating for 6 (2 rows of 3), but it will be a tight fit on the sides.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6759 of 9667 Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brian from GIK fixed me up with a room package so I will be spending some time building my HT room. The room is sealed and is 12 X 19, so with my JTR speakers and 3 Submersive HP's it should be pretty cool. Looking at seating for 6 (2 rows of 3), but it will be a tight fit on the sides.

That's a lot of woof-age for that space. Should cause some serious intestinal movements!!!

post #6760 of 9667 Old 05-17-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

That's a lot of woof-age for that space. Should cause some serious intestinal movements!!!

...said the pot to the kettle.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #6761 of 9667 Old 05-17-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Brian really knows his stuff. He helped me out with a set of treatments for my room as well. They worked out very good for me. In a well treated room like yours, with 3 HP's and JTR speakers, I am pretty sure you will have a great sounding setup.

It ain't easy being green.

post #6762 of 9667 Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

...said the pot to the kettle.

Craig

Hence the post. I (we?) speak from experience!

post #6763 of 9667 Old 05-21-2012, 04:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 72
'Underworld: Awakening' is a lot of fun at reference
amazing track

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #6764 of 9667 Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburns View Post

'underworld: Awakening' is a lot of fun at reference
amazing track

+1

post #6765 of 9667 Old 05-21-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Watched War Horse on Saturday. The Submersives were sounding awesome!! It felt like the horses were on the room and the explosions were making me jump repeatedly. I could feel the pressure on my skin in a way I haven't noticed before, I'm not saying it hasn't happened I just haven't noticed that - I also felt like my hair was moving. Very cool.

I think I was running pretty damn hot, not even sure at this point but it sounded great.

The movie was very boring the first 30 minutes but I got into it after that.

Next up on Netflix, Underworld. Can't wait for that one.

post #6766 of 9667 Old 05-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

'Underworld: Awakening' is a lot of fun at reference
amazing track

+2

My sofa shook throughout the entire movie.

post #6767 of 9667 Old 05-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

This is one area where I see no future upgrades for me. I have 4 SubMersive HP's in a 3800cf room. Flat down to about 7 hz.

Hi audioguy, have you ever tested how many dBs you can hit at 7Hz in your room with 4 Submersives?
post #6768 of 9667 Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

Hi audioguy, have you ever tested how many dBs you can hit at 7Hz in your room with 4 Submersives?

I have not. That might be fun as an academic exercise but I don't care for practical purposes.

post #6769 of 9667 Old 05-22-2012, 06:56 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchong View Post

probably the same as 1 plus 12db

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #6770 of 9667 Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

probably the same as 1 plus 12db

Or so! I once was using at 10hz test tone and not particularly loud and started to get ill.

I don't want to experience 7hz at 110 db :-(

post #6771 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 12:37 AM

Attention all Seaton submersive owners, i noticed a sound coming from the sub tonight, there is a noise which appears to be coming from behind the green signal light, i can feel a slight bit of air coming through the back of the light when I put my finger over it, the sub's speakers are working and the actual bass is fine. I've uploaded the sound onto Youtube for you at the below link, any ideas on what it is? The amp appears to be secured properly to the subwoofer, all screws are tight. I've sent Mark Seaton a message as well, hopefully i'll get a response from him soon.

post #6772 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajames2 View Post

Attention all Seaton submersive owners, i noticed a sound coming from the sub tonight, there is a noise which appears to be coming from behind the green signal light, i can feel a slight bit of air coming through the back of the light when I put my finger over it, the sub's speakers are working and the actual bass is fine. I've uploaded the sound onto Youtube for you at the below link, any ideas on what it is? The amp appears to be secured properly to the subwoofer, all screws are tight. I've sent Mark Seaton a message as well, hopefully i'll get a response from him soon.

Hi Paul,

As I just posted in answering your post on our forum:

We monitor our e-mail (sales@seatonsound.net or support@seatonsound.net) much more regularly than forum PMs which you had sent. Yesterday was also a holiday here in the states and I was away from the computer for most of the day, as your PM was received early Monday morning our time in Chicago, IL USA.

I just took a quick look at the video. With the original 1000W amplifiers, a small mount of air noise from the input section around the XLRs and Volume dial is normal. It sounds like yours might be at the louder end of the range, or one of the 2 screws above or 3 screws below the ID label may be leaking. I suspect this was not noticed here as we quickly shipped you a replacement amplifier as soon as we received it and went through full electrical testing about a year ago. E-mail us and I can follow up and direct you on a few easy things to double check which I gave more detail on in a response to your PM. Opening the amplifier would likely cause more headache and potentially worsen the problem if you poke around under the hood as the compartment which seals the input section is not easy to get in place without some practice.

The HP amplifiers allow for a tighter fit of parts and have greatly reduced air noise, if any at all. If you plan to make this upgrade, we should probably just wait to make the swap. If not, I'll see if any of the 1000W amplifiers I have in house are much quieter and we'll sort out what makes sense by e-mail.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #6773 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Hi Paul,

As I just posted in answering your post on our forum:

We monitor our e-mail (sales@seatonsound.net or support@seatonsound.net) much more regularly than forum PMs which you had sent. Yesterday was also a holiday here in the states and I was away from the computer for most of the day, as your PM was received early Monday morning our time in Chicago, IL USA.

I just took a quick look at the video. With the original 1000W amplifiers, a small mount of air noise from the input section around the XLRs and Volume dial is normal. It sounds like yours might be at the louder end of the range, or one of the 2 screws above or 3 screws below the ID label may be leaking. I suspect this was not noticed here as we quickly shipped you a replacement amplifier as soon as we received it and went through full electrical testing about a year ago. E-mail us and I can follow up and direct you on a few easy things to double check which I gave more detail on in a response to your PM. Opening the amplifier would likely cause more headache and potentially worsen the problem if you poke around under the hood as the compartment which seals the input section is not easy to get in place without some practice.

The HP amplifiers allow for a tighter fit of parts and have greatly reduced air noise, if any at all. If you plan to make this upgrade, we should probably just wait to make the swap. If not, I'll see if any of the 1000W amplifiers I have in house are much quieter and we'll sort out what makes sense by e-mail.

That's customer service!
post #6774 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoobie View Post

that's customer service!

Me Too!

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6775 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoobie View Post

That's customer service!

I also have had excellent service from Mark over the years. On his own forum, I also mentioned I had leakage & he was quick to inform me of the progress relating to the new amps.

--Carl
post #6776 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

I also have had excellent service from Mark over the years. On his own forum, I also mentioned I had leakage & he was quick to inform me of the progress relating to the new amps.

The only leakage I get happens in my pants when I turn a movie up loud with my SubM
post #6777 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

The only leakage I get happens in my pants when I turn a movie up loud with my SubM

This is a case of over sharing.
post #6778 of 9667 Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Brown notes!

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6779 of 9667 Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Worked at getting my HT room in for the past 5 days. Put in a GIK Acoustic package designed by Brian and anyone who does not do a room with this type of thing is missing out. Electronic EQ alone can't do it alone in a room. With my 3 Submersives and JTR speakers, like WOW! This is what movie watching is all about. Building a 1 foot riser for the rear 3 seats and should be complete by this weekend. Will post pics next week.

Bill

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6780 of 9667 Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 AM

Liked: 17
Some questions about the SubM's in- and outputs: When looking at pictures of the HP's amp I just realized the XLR-output labeled as "looping output". It may be a stupid question, but what is that output for? Is it for connecting several subs in a row?

Second: What is that connection located left below the "looping output"? It is round and reminds me of an antiquated PS/2 connector. What's that for?

Thanks for your answers!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page