post #901 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

By the way, how long is the warranty for on the SubMersive? Have there been any defective SubMersives that needed warranty work or replacement units?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Kain, you should try posting on Marks forum.
post #903 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Per Mark's post on his website.

Quote:

Warranty is 3 years from time of receipt of the subwoofer. The Warranty covers any defects in materials and workmanship, excluding obvious misuse or accidental damage.

post #904 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I dont think mark has ever had to do any warranty work to date. I know he tests everything before he ships them so that eliminates and DOA problems unless the shipper kills it.

but posting the question over on his forum or an email to him and you will get your answer.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #905 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 110
That was a great review Vishal. You've got a lot of people drooling on their keyboards after reading it

David Budo
post #906 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

People state that the SubMersive has a better amplifier than the PB13-Ultra. However, the SubMersive as a 1,000 watt amplifier and since it has two drivers I assume each is getting 500 watts. On the other hand, the PB13-Ultra has a 750 watt amplifier and only one driver. Doesn't this make the PB13-Ultra more powerful and "better" amplification wise?
post #907 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Oh boy my finger that hit the enter key is shaking at about 15 HZ.. I just bought a Seaton sub.
post #908 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 11:43 AM

Kain, I really think you will find all of the answers you seek over on Marks forum. Many of your questions will be answered by Mark himself. I know he doesn't like anything to be posted over here that seems like blatant marketing.

Roddey, congrats!!! Now spend the next few weeks (while you wait) re-securing everything in your room.
post #909 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal View Post

I used to own a Fathom F113 and had the desire for something that dug a little deeper. As you all know in this hobby, it also tends to be the case that we switch out equipment just for heck of it. I sold the F113 for a Hsu ULS-15. While I was able to accomplish my initial goal (I had flat in-room response to 5Hz) I lost much of the effortless midbass that the Fathom provided. The Hsu was also unable to match the JL's clean output at higher volumes. Consequently, the Hsu is now for sale.

I could have probably solved these issues with a second ULS-15 (and addressed any particular room issues as well) but WAF dictated a single sub solution. Enter the SubMersive.

I have been eyeing the SubMersive since its release in 2006 but went with the Fathom at that time because of the abundance of rave reviews. Hindsight is 20/20 and I now wish I had gone with the Seaton product instead.

The SubMersive is far and away the better sub in every respect except for finish and physical size. It hits harder, faster, cleaner, and with more authority than the Fathom or the Hsu. It goes very deep as well (almost flat to 6Hz in my room) and gives up nothing at higher volumes. It has tremendous midbass capabilities and is even harder to localize than the Fathom was (which was no slouch in that department). Some others have mentioned that the SubMersive's true differentiating factor is the uncanny ability to start and stop at a moment's notice. I have never before had the pleasure of such instantenous room pressurization. And the decay is just as dramatic.

Another benefit is the inherently inert box due to the opposing drivers. With both the JL and the Hsu I had to use an Auralex Subdude to limit as much physical energy as possible from being transferred to my wood floor. Without the Subdude, movie watching would result in numerous vibrations from the adjoining dining room and kitchen. However, the addition of the Subdude ruined the aesthetic appeal of the small, sealed subs. The SubMersive has no such issues. No energy is transferred to the floor and therefore its even a more effective solution than the combination of the Subdude and my other subs.

I mentioned finish as an area where the SubMersive falls behind some of the other commercial offerings. There is no denying this. While it might be rugged, it cannot be compared to the satin finishes of the JL and the Hsu. However, the fit and overall quality of components is better than the Hsu and almost on par with the excellent JL. The stepped volume control of the amp, the snug XLR connections, and the Neutrik power connector all indicate this is a very well made and very serious piece of gear.

There are certain scenes that I consider personal benchmarks for subwoofer performance. While some of these are older scenes, I have listened to them with so many different subs, I can compare them effectively. Just for information's sake, I have owned the following: Bose AM-5, Bic H-100, SVS PB12-Plus/2, JL F113, Epik Conquest (in my father's theater), Hsu ULS-15, and now the SubMersive. The rest of the gear is an Outlaw 990 preamp, Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 amp, Gallo Reference 3.1 fronts, Reference center, and Due surrounds. Room is part of an open layout but is 13' x 19' with very high sloped cathedral ceilings.

I have never heard gunshots from Open Range sound so effortless. In fact, the gunshots and the opening thunder clap made my 6'4" 250lb friend literally leap off of the couch! Additionally, the fight sequence from the Matrix has one scene where Morpheus puts his knee through the floor. This easily demonstrates the speed at which the SubMersive can add to the weight of a scene, it's absolutely amazing. Another scene I like to use is the NYC flood scene in The Day After Tomorrow. My entire room was pressurized with uncanny ease. Other scenes tested were from Master and Commander, Finding Nemo, Star Wars Ep. 2, Black Hawk Down, etc. I have still to find the upper limits of what the SubMersive can do. In fact, I am sure I will find the limits elsewhere in my system, my room, or my townhome neighbor's room before the SubMersive gives up.

I also use the SubMersive for music. I find the integration with my mains so cohesive that I have them crossed at 80Hz. I was always impressed with the JL's ability to disappear during a music track with a fast bass line. The SubMersive is even better. The same friend I mentioned earlier could not even believe the sub was on during one passage until I turned it off and the music lost all of its detailed depth.

I apologize for the long post, I never intended to go on for so long. I am truly in awe of the ability of this sub and my quest has ended (for now of course). If and when I move into a larger space, I will simply augment with another SubMersive.

I also wanted to mention that Mark Seaton is very gracious to communicate with. While he is a busy person and can sometimes take a day or two to respond, his responses were always detailed and thoughtful.

I have no hesitation in recommending the SubMersive to anyone looking for what is, in my opinion, the best commercial subwoofer on the market today.

Here is the frequency response in my room (post EQ with a BFD):

thanks for the write-up vishal, that's great

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #910 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

Kain, I really think you will find all of the answers you seek over on Marks forum. Many of your questions will be answered by Mark himself. I know he doesn't like anything to be posted over here that seems like blatant marketing.

Roddey, congrats!!! Now spend the next few weeks (while you wait) re-securing everything in your room.

Will my dogs be scared?
post #911 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is anyone using a SubMersive with an Audyssey-equipped AVR / AVP? If so, were there any setup anomalies?

Thanks.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #912 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

nothing unique to the submersive... same issues as with my HSU, MFW, and EPIK Subwoofers....

I love what audessy does for imaging. I dont not like what it does for bass.... There is a nasty issue in 2 of my rooms where it attentuates the bass where it does not need too. My manual EQ'ing with REW and a DCX2496 provides a flatter curve measured at the same positions I measure audessy and DOES NOT reduce the impact so its not the humpy bass being fixed thats causing this perception.

Therefore my trick is to run Audessy with the Suboff. Then turn on the sub and DCX. Chris says this wont work but my ears tell me the audessy is still doing its thing.

I posted some graphs of this pecularity on the audessy thread a long time ago. In the case the two units that have this issue are 805's in 2 different rooms with 4 different subs...

Sean
post #913 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddey View Post

Will my dogs be scared?

Well... while the floor joists are flexing and things are crashing down off of your shelves, I would say yes
post #914 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Liked: 16
Holy Bajeesus!!!

Ok, so I finally picked up my sub from Fedex today and set it up. Well, set it up isnt really appropriate as all I did was remove my Reference and put the Submersive in its place.

First off, this thing is the size of a mini-fridge as my friend who was helping me today described it. However, it didnt really feel like 132lbs. That being said, its definitely an imposing piece in my theater room. After getting over the shear mass of this thing, I moved on.

First test I did was WOTW. Scene where the pod emerges. Its one of my constant reference scenes that I know through all my configurations. The bass that came out of this Submersive made my whole house flex. When I use the term "flex" I mean I litterally felt the floor and the walls move within the space. I liken it to the scenes in the Matrix where Neo is in the hallway with the agents and Neo explodes agent smith out of him and the whole hallway flexes. Yeah, Im talking like that. When the pod came out and put his foot down for the first time, the Submersive hit SO hard that I literally jumped off my couch it scared me. Again, Ive seen this scene probably around 25 times and knew exactly what was going to happen. I felt scared.

Then I went ahead and tried the Darla Tap scene in Nemo. Damn if I wasnt feeling like Darla was punching my gut, and my couch, and my roof... This thing is insane.

After I put that disk away, I heard knocking at my front door. This is at 2:30 in the afternoon mind you. It was my neighbor(I live in a townhouse). Not the neighbor on the side of house with my home theater, but the one on the other side not even close to it. She asked me if I knew why the clocks on her walls were shaking. Oops. I invited her in to see my theater and what I was working on. She was very impressed but also satisfied when I told her I was still working on setting it up and that I would hopefully have it where they wouldnt feel/hear the sub.(Yeah right, this is going to be impossible).

As excited I was to test out my demo materials, I felt I needed something else. So based on all the threads Ive read, I went out and picked up Open Range.

Damn if that gunfight scene isnt fantastic. This sub hit tight and quick. My friend who was with me helping me set it up remarked that the sub never gave any more information than it was supposed to. It just gave you the gunshot and that was it. Never trailed off or left any additional bass lingering out there. Boom, that was it.

This sub demolishes the Reference that it replaces. It does everything I wanted it to do that the Reference couldn't. There is nothing that can compete with a truly exceptional sealed sub and this one is it. The "muddiness" that was disturbing to me on the Reference is nonexistent on the Submersive. The sub is placed right next to my couch and my friend was sitting on that side and actually placed his arm over it while we were watching. He said you cant even tell its working, nothing is transmitted to the cabinet. Remarkable craftsmanship!

My only complaint is with myself in that I will only be able to tap 2/10ths the potential of this sub until I move out into a house without neighbors. I feel like I finally have a Ferrari but am only allowed to drive it around the development. If anyone is on the fence about this or even debating on spending this amount on a sub(or more, why would you) just do it. This will be the LAST sub you will ever have to buy.
post #915 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

Holy Bajeesus!!!

Ok, so I finally picked up my sub from Fedex today and set it up. Well, set it up isnt really appropriate as all I did was remove my Reference and put the Submersive in its place.

First off, this thing is the size of a mini-fridge as my friend who was helping me today described it. However, it didnt really feel like 132lbs. That being said, its definitely an imposing piece in my theater room. After getting over the shear mass of this thing, I moved on.

First test I did was WOTW. Scene where the pod emerges. Its one of my constant reference scenes that I know through all my configurations. The bass that came out of this Submersive made my whole house flex. When I use the term "flex" I mean I litterally felt the floor and the walls move within the space. I liken it to the scenes in the Matrix where Neo is in the hallway with the agents and Neo explodes agent smith out of him and the whole hallway flexes. Yeah, Im talking like that. When the pod came out and put his foot down for the first time, the Submersive hit SO hard that I literally jumped off my couch it scared me. Again, Ive seen this scene probably around 25 times and knew exactly what was going to happen. I felt scared.

Then I went ahead and tried the Darla Tap scene in Nemo. Damn if I wasnt feeling like Darla was punching my gut, and my couch, and my roof... This thing is insane.

After I put that disk away, I heard knocking at my front door. This is at 2:30 in the afternoon mind you. It was my neighbor(I live in a townhouse). Not the neighbor on the side of house with my home theater, but the one on the other side not even close to it. She asked me if I knew why the clocks on her walls were shaking. Oops. I invited her in to see my theater and what I was working on. She was very impressed but also satisfied when I told her I was still working on setting it up and that I would hopefully have it where they wouldnt feel/hear the sub.(Yeah right, this is going to be impossible).

As excited I was to test out my demo materials, I felt I needed something else. So based on all the threads Ive read, I went out and picked up Open Range.

Damn if that gunfight scene isnt fantastic. This sub hit tight and quick. My friend who was with me helping me set it up remarked that the sub never gave any more information than it was supposed to. It just gave you the gunshot and that was it. Never trailed off or left any additional bass lingering out there. Boom, that was it.

This sub demolishes the Reference that it replaces. It does everything I wanted it to do that the Reference couldn't. There is nothing that can compete with a truly exceptional sealed sub and this one is it. The "muddiness" that was disturbing to me on the Reference is nonexistent on the Submersive. The sub is placed right next to my couch and my friend was sitting on that side and actually placed his arm over it while we were watching. He said you cant even tell its working, nothing is transmitted to the cabinet. Remarkable craftsmanship!

My only complaint is with myself in that I will only be able to tap 2/10ths the potential of this sub until I move out into a house without neighbors. I feel like I finally have a Ferrari but am only allowed to drive it around the development. If anyone is on the fence about this or even debating on spending this amount on a sub(or more, why would you) just do it. This will be the LAST sub you will ever have to buy.

Damn sweet!
post #916 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, HyperM3, have you had a chance to hear the PC13/PB13-Ultra? If so, what were your impressions compared to the SubMersive?
post #917 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:

By the way, HyperM3, have you had a chance to hear the PC13/PB13-Ultra? If so, what were your impressions compared to the SubMersive?

The only thing Ive had a chance to compare it to was my Reference and a Trinity. It trounced my Reference and my friend and I agreed that it blew the trinity away too.

In regards to the PB13...if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and floats like a duck, it must be a duck. You cant put a bill on a chicken and call it a duck. A sealed sub is a sealed sub. End of story.
post #918 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM

I need to know the price so can start saving. where I can get one
post #919 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Check here for pricing and availability: http://seatonsound.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3364736
post #920 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Mark,

I kindly await your revised shipping quote.

Okay, I am dying of anticipation over here.

I know you are a busy man but don't make me wait too long!

*Trying to be as patient as I can*

post #921 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone here have a SubMersive in the San Diego area that wouldn't mind giving me a demo?

Benjamin King

Sic Transit Gloria

post #922 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have one in the Detroit area and am always game for a demo( if you can handle it)

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #923 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith View Post

nothing unique to the submersive... same issues as with my HSU, MFW, and EPIK Subwoofers....

I love what audessy does for imaging. I dont not like what it does for bass.... There is a nasty issue in 2 of my rooms where it attentuates the bass where it does not need too. My manual EQ'ing with REW and a DCX2496 provides a flatter curve measured at the same positions I measure audessy and DOES NOT reduce the impact so its not the humpy bass being fixed thats causing this perception.

Therefore my trick is to run Audessy with the Suboff. Then turn on the sub and DCX. Chris says this wont work but my ears tell me the audessy is still doing its thing.

I posted some graphs of this pecularity on the audessy thread a long time ago. In the case the two units that have this issue are 805's in 2 different rooms with 4 different subs...

Sean

Since you mentioned that you were in the Audyssey thread a long time ago, perhaps you have never tried out the the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my signature? It has helped some folks complaining of the bass issues with Audyssey.

Mark

post #924 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 05:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post

I have one in the Detroit area and am always game for a demo( if you can handle it)

I have four in Batlte Creek Michigan. Always happy to give demos on weekends with notice.

I just completed the shoring up of the ceiling in the projection room. The structural movement has been a problem for my projector thus far. Ready to mount my HT 5000 now.

Art

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #925 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I have four in Batlte Creek Michigan.

you must be in low frequency heaven

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #926 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I have four in Batlte Creek Michigan. Always happy to give demos on weekends with notice.

I just completed the shoring up of the ceiling in the projection room. The structural movement has been a problem for my projector thus far. Ready to mount my HT 5000 now.

Art

art, i've been reading your posts for years now, and your home theater gives me (and probably a lot of others) something to aspire to... and your willingness to share it with others is admirable... i'd love to see it in person... according to mapquest, it's only a good day's drive away... a road trip might definitely be in order...

on another note...

i've been kicking around the idea of selling my paradigm (servo15 v2) and moving to a submersive, but i'm having a hard time finding anyone who made that switch and can give an opinion on it...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #927 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

art, i've been reading your posts for years now, and your home theater gives me (and probably a lot of others) something to aspire to... and your willingness to share it with others is admirable... i'd love to see it in person... according to mapquest, it's only a good day's drive away... a road trip might definitely be in order...

on another note...

i've been kicking around the idea of selling my paradigm (servo15 v2) and moving to a submersive, but i'm having a hard time finding anyone who made that switch and can give an opinion on it...

Since youre local(as in same state), you can always come by and demo mine. On another note, since you're in the same state, Im always up for company on a days drive to Arts...
post #928 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post

Since youre local(as in same state), you can always come by and demo mine. On another note, since you're in the same state, Im always up for company on a days drive to Arts...

i DO like this forum... the willingness of people to share their "toys" is a great thing...

on the offer, i will drop you a pm sometime next week and see what we can set up that would be convenient for you... i greatly appreciate it... i'm in collingswood, so you aren't very far away at all...

on the "other note"... if i'm reading into your user name what i think i am, we can make it in a day, easy...

thanks again...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #929 of 9667 Old 04-29-2009, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

on the "other note"... If i'm reading into your user name what i think i am, we can make it in a day, easy... :d

lol.
post #930 of 9667 Old 04-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
vishal and HyperM3, I have to agree with you guys regarding the Submersive's performance on the Open Range gunfight - I played the DTS track recently at MV -8 and no sub I've owned has reproduced it so authentically, hitting extremely loud and incredibly clean and tight, no overhang or thickness at all, with seemingly limitless dynamics. I am curious to see where the upper limit is on that scene but I'm quite sure I'll damage my Rocket speakers before the Submersive gives out .

Cheers,
Ross
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page