any FB on the XTZ Room analyzer II ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9662 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wondering if Mark's international customer usually wait for 3 weeks before he replies to emails. I have sent him 3 emails in the last 3 weeks and he hasn't replied. In the past I have had poor service trying to get issues sorted. It usually takes about 3-4 emails and 2 weeks before I get an reply. This time I haven't had any replies after 3 weeks. It is a shame that his subs are great but after 2 years( had problem in the past trying to get a response from Mark) he still hasn't lifted his game when it comes to customer service. As soon as he fixes the problem I will probably sell the sub and buy something else. Tired of getting crappy service and waiting weeks for him to get back to me.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #9663 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Corner loading

Can someone explain what corner loading a sub is. what the benefits are as well as any negatives. Also does this mean that no bass trapping is placed in this corner?

THanks
post #9664 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Corner loading a sub is simply placing it in the corner for max spl. It can be a couple of db's louder in the corner. Bass trapping depends on measurements taken in room. If you need to put a trap in the corner with the sub, then that is what you need to do.

On to the reason I came in this thread......I got a chance to finally hear a dual submersive setup and it sounded fantastic! This sub lives up to the hype you read about it!

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #9665 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Anybody here see those last 2 protoype Terraform XL-D18's on Seaton's forum? Dual UM-18 front loaded drivers tuned to 11hz. He is offering the master slave combo with the 4500watt speaker power amp for 4590.00. Man If I had a dedicated theater these babies would be mine!!

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...d=1283985429#8
post #9666 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Anybody here see those last 2 protoype Terraform XL-D18's on Seaton's forum? Dual UM-18 front loaded drivers tuned to 11hz. He is offering the master slave combo with the 4500watt speaker power amp for 4590.00. Man If I had a dedicated theater these babies would be mine!!
If my theater were in a basement instead of a loft, they would have already been sold. I have 4 SubMersive HP's and as it is, my entire room really moves on heavy bass scenes. But for a basement HT, I'm not sure you can have too much woof.

According to Mark, he estimates that those two speakers would be the approximate equivalent of quad SubMersives !!!!!!

Even when I'm not having a particularly good day, I am at least having a day!

New Theater 

Build Thread
post #9667 of 9690 Old 08-24-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Man I wish I had the space for them. That would be one amazing setup!!
post #9668 of 9690 Old 09-24-2014, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A while back I posted some initial impression of my F2 (which I really love) and mentioned how great I thought War of the Worlds sounded. My preferred way to watch this film is with the sub 7 dB hot. While to me this sounds just right, I thought this was a quite a large boost and other people here agreed and mentioned that I might be compensating for a room null.

At the time I didn't have any measuring gear. Since then I've had the opportunity to run REW and would be keen to know what people think (please see the attached frequency responses) as I'm still not really sure that the plots explain the large sub boost I feel is needed.

Note: for most films I don't run the F2 hot, and if I do, its usually just 2-3 dB at most. Also, for most music, I don't run the sub hot either and find that everything sounds very balanced. It is only with music with quite low bass, like that in first 10 minutes of The Art of Flight, that some parts of the bass sound/feel a little weak - I suppose this is a result of the dips between 40-50 Hz?

Anyway, l would very much appreciate some feedback. Here are some extra details on how I normally watch War of the Worlds:

Volume: -10 dB from reference
Sub trim: +7 dB hot
Dynamic EQ: On (with a 0 dB offset)
Crossover: 80 Hz
Pgm 2 (both before and after Audyssey XT32 calibration)

Not sure if it relevant but my room is rather small: 3.7m(L) x 3.3m (W) x 2.6m (H). It does however have an opening in the back wall (double sliding doors that are usually left open). The room thru the opening is roughly twice the size of the AV room. (Together the two rectangular rooms form an "L" shape)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orig.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	277481  
post #9669 of 9690 Old 09-24-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
A while back I posted some initial impression of my F2 (which I really love) and mentioned how great I thought War of the Worlds sounded. My preferred way to watch this film is with the sub 7 dB hot. While to me this sounds just right, I thought this was a quite a large boost and other people here agreed and mentioned that I might be compensating for a room null.

At the time I didn't have any measuring gear. Since then I've had the opportunity to run REW and would be keen to know what people think (please see the attached frequency responses) as I'm still not really sure that the plots explain the large sub boost I feel is needed.

Note: for most films I don't run the F2 hot, and if I do, its usually just 2-3 dB at most. Also, for most music, I don't run the sub hot either and find that everything sounds very balanced. It is only with music with quite low bass, like that in first 10 minutes of The Art of Flight, that some parts of the bass sound/feel a little weak - I suppose this is a result of the dips between 40-50 Hz?

Anyway, l would very much appreciate some feedback. Here are some extra details on how I normally watch War of the Worlds:

Volume: -10 dB from reference
Sub trim: +7 dB hot
Dynamic EQ: On (with a 0 dB offset)
Crossover: 80 Hz
Pgm 2 (both before and after Audyssey XT32 calibration)

Not sure if it relevant but my room is rather small: 3.7m(L) x 3.3m (W) x 2.6m (H). It does however have an opening in the back wall (double sliding doors that are usually left open). The room thru the opening is roughly twice the size of the AV room. (Together the two rectangular rooms form an "L" shape)
Is that REW chart with the sub 7dB hot or flat? We need to see it flat. Also, could you go back into REW and remake the chart with a 10-200Hz window as that is more like the 'normal' chart used for these things. The overall level is quite low too - what SPL do you use for the sweeps? You may need to run the sweep again using something like 90dB.
post #9670 of 9690 Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Is that REW chart with the sub 7dB hot or flat? We need to see it flat. Also, could you go back into REW and remake the chart with a 10-200Hz window as that is more like the 'normal' chart used for these things. The overall level is quite low too - what SPL do you use for the sweeps? You may need to run the sweep again using something like 90dB.
KBarnes -- what db scale do you like to see on the Y axis?

EDIT: Saw your link -- nevermind.

My Bargain Basement Theater

Last edited by Skrill; 09-24-2014 at 07:33 AM.
post #9671 of 9690 Old 09-24-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The sub is no longer in the position used to create these plots (it was done a while back and since then I have been testing different sub placements). If a chart with higher SPL is crucial, I could certainly create such a plot but I would not be able to do so soon (need to have my avr repaired). I have included same chart but changed the axis to 10-200 Hz as requested. The chart does NOT include the 7 dB sub increase I use for War of the Worlds, nor does it have DEQ on (which I always have on except for when measuring).

Note: in the attached chart I was trying to capture solely the sub response. The responses shown are of the left speaker and the sub combined but with the crossover set to 250 Hz. In normal use, the crossover is set to 80 Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-200hz.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	278153  
post #9672 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 03:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzzzz... View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The sub is no longer in the position used to create these plots (it was done a while back and since then I have been testing different sub placements). If a chart with higher SPL is crucial, I could certainly create such a plot but I would not be able to do so soon (need to have my avr repaired). I have included same chart but changed the axis to 10-200 Hz as requested. The chart does NOT include the 7 dB sub increase I use for War of the Worlds, nor does it have DEQ on (which I always have on except for when measuring).

Note: in the attached chart I was trying to capture solely the sub response. The responses shown are of the left speaker and the sub combined but with the crossover set to 250 Hz. In normal use, the crossover is set to 80 Hz.
The response looks fairly good other than the region between 40 and 50Hz which merits some attention. (I am ignoring the chart above 90Hz as the mains will be kicking in by then.

The general advice is to run the sweep as loud as you dare (with the brave going for 100dB). I generally go for about 90dB. Apparently the result is more reliable/accurate if you do this. IDK if it would affect your result much though.

In REW you can run a sub-only sweep by selecting Ch4 (I am assuming here that you use the latest version of REW which is HDMI/USB mic).

You may be boosting by 7dB just as preference for more bass. I boost my dual F2s by 3dB usually for example. And remember that Audyssey aims to give a flat curve at Reference Level - many people find this anemic. I assume you use Dynamic EQ when listening (you are right to disengage it when measuring).

I don't really see a null in your graph in the 10-90Hz range. Nulls usually are very deep and go to a 'point' at the bottom of the inverse spike (more like what you can see at just over 100Hz) - what you have at 40-50Hz just seems to be a dip. You might be able to change that by moving the sub to a different location and measuring again.

Incidentally, what many of us do is calibrate in Pgm 1 and then switch to Pgm 2 afterwards to get that extra oomph at the very bottom end. If you calibrate in Pgm 2 and run in Pgm 2, Audyssey will just EQ out the low-end boost.

Last edited by kbarnes701; 09-25-2014 at 04:02 AM.
post #9673 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
The response looks fairly good other than the region between 40 and 50Hz which merits some attention. (I am ignoring the chart above 90Hz as the mains will be kicking in by then.

The general advice is to run the sweep as loud as you dare (with the brave going for 100dB). I generally go for about 90dB. Apparently the result is more reliable/accurate if you do this. IDK if it would affect your result much though.

In REW you can run a sub-only sweep by selecting Ch4 (I am assuming here that you use the latest version of REW which is HDMI/USB mic).

You may be boosting by 7dB just as preference for more bass. I boost my dual F2s by 3dB usually for example. And remember that Audyssey aims to give a flat curve at Reference Level - many people find this anemic. I assume you use Dynamic EQ when listening (you are right to disengage it when measuring).

I don't really see a null in your graph in the 10-90Hz range. Nulls usually are very deep and go to a 'point' at the bottom of the inverse spike (more like what you can see at just over 100Hz) - what you have at 40-50Hz just seems to be a dip. You might be able to change that by moving the sub to a different location and measuring again.

Incidentally, what many of us do is calibrate in Pgm 1 and then switch to Pgm 2 afterwards to get that extra oomph at the very bottom end. If you calibrate in Pgm 2 and run in Pgm 2, Audyssey will just EQ out the low-end boost.
the louder the better to check for compression issues - just disconnect speakers when running sweep - subs at 100+ Db is not bad

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #9674 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
This is exactly what I thought. Hence I was a little stumped why I felt the need to boost the sub so much for War of the Worlds. While its good with just a +4 dB boost, its just perfect with +7 (I can really feel the lightning strikes, the earth cracking open, etc)

I've been trying other positions for the sub but the options are pretty limited. The only other position I really have for the sub has a better response in the 40-50 Hz range, but is worse at higher frequencies, in particular, the dip around 60 Hz is much deeper and wider.

Quote:
I'll give this a try in the future and test if the responses match (aside from a uniform SPL bump).

Quote:
Thanks for that - I'm currently using an analog connection from my computer to the avr. Will try HDMI eventually.

Quote:

Could it been that my sub 10 Hz response is too low? Yes, aside from when measuring, I always have DEQ on.

Quote:
Yes - I will try this eventually. Currently I'm still in the process of trying to settle on a good location. It sort of looks like I may have to get some bass traps.

I suppose the conclusion is that I just like it playing the film that way I suppose others would watch this film at reference (I only watch at -10 dB from reference) and hence their experience of the bass would be similar to mine. Maybe having a small, untreated room makes the higher frequencies a bit much while for others with larger, treated room its not so much of an issue. Anyway, that's pretty much all I can think of...
post #9675 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
the louder the better to check for compression issues - just disconnect speakers when running sweep - subs at 100+ Db is not bad
Yes that makes sense. I will investigate. Thanks.
post #9676 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
The general advice is to run the sweep as loud as you dare (with the brave going for 100dB). I generally go for about 90dB. Apparently the result is more reliable/accurate if you do this. IDK if it would affect your result much though
a 75dB sweep is perfectly fine for frequency response, you only need more for compression testing.
post #9677 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is the benfit of the 2400 watt amp over the 1kw ICE amp?

Is it purely how many db's you can hit, or are there any other differrences?

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #9678 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

There are two types of 2400W amps. The HP and the HP+ -- both are 2400W @4 ohm amps made by SpeakerPower. Setting aside other potential improvements of the SpeakerPower amps, the HP+ also drives a 2 ohm load to 4000W and allows you to drive a passive slave unit along with your powered unit. A master/slave combo puts out nearly as much output as two 2400W units.

It's a great unit -- and the master/slave allows you to get dual SubMs at a relatively economical price.

More info on HP+ is here:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...3864?&trail=20
kbarnes701 and Modicen like this.

My Bargain Basement Theater
post #9679 of 9690 Old 09-25-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
There are two types of 2400W amps. The HP and the HP+ -- both are 2400W @4 ohm amps made by SpeakerPower. Setting aside other potential improvements of the SpeakerPower amps, the HP+ also drives a 2 ohm load to 4000W and allows you to drive a passive slave unit along with your powered unit. A master/slave combo puts out nearly as much output as two 2400W units.

It's a great unit -- and the master/slave allows you to get dual SubMs at a relatively economical price.

More info on HP+ is here:

http://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/po...3864?&trail=20
Yup - I knew about the HP+. Unfortunately duals are never going to be an option due to WAF.

What im wondering is would there be a benefit to upgrading from the 1kw and to the 2400hp?

Check out my WAF approved living room theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1526916/my...-1-living-room
post #9680 of 9690 Old 09-27-2014, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post

Db's and a little more headroom, especially for the lowest octaves which suck up a lot of power.

Max
post #9681 of 9690 Old 09-28-2014, 03:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
Db's and a little more headroom, especially for the lowest octaves which suck up a lot of power.

Max
Yup. In the UK with our beefier mains voltage, the amp in my master/slave pair of F2s puts out 6,000 watts, equivalent to 3,000 watts per sub.

This is how it drives those lowest, power-sucking octaves... note the start frequency of the graph...

Graph is unsmoothed, Audyssey XT32 on, Dynamic EQ off, calibrated with subs in Pgm1 then switched to Pgm2 for normal use. Crossovers are 90Hz.
post #9682 of 9690 Old 09-28-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 195
KBarnes,

That looks great.

Did you go from the regular submersives to the F2's and if so, what did you find as the difference?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #9683 of 9690 Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
KBarnes,

That looks great.

Did you go from the regular submersives to the F2's and if so, what did you find as the difference?
I went from dual F2s with the original smaller international version amps to the master/slave with the huge amp. The difference is what Max said - more grunt at the very bottom end and what feels like limitless headroom.
post #9684 of 9690 Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you haven't had a chance to experience it do yourself a favor and checkout the first minute of Edge of Tomorrow. I thought I knew what my Submersive(s) could do..., when all hell broke loose last night I realized I was sadly mistaken.
Modicen and jlpowell84 like this.
post #9685 of 9690 Old 10-18-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
If you haven't had a chance to experience it do yourself a favor and checkout the first minute of Edge of Tomorrow. I thought I knew what my Submersive(s) could do..., when all hell broke loose last night I realized I was sadly mistaken.
I'll pick it up this weekend
post #9686 of 9690 Old 10-18-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith2 View Post
Too right. Warning: you can easily dislodge loose items. Even if they are in another room. Or in your neighbor's house.
Modicen likes this.
post #9687 of 9690 Old 10-18-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I haven't watched the whole movie yet. But was curious as to what everyone was talking about. WOW!! Craziest thing I heard yet!! Had me smiling for days.
post #9688 of 9690 Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Easy to get excited about that scene but it was actually friggin scary . For old heads like myself watch out for vertigo.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #9689 of 9690 Old 10-19-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post
Easy to get excited about that scene but it was actually friggin scary . For old heads like myself watch out for vertigo.
Also, watch out for falling masonry, pictures, ornaments...
post #9690 of 9690 Old 10-19-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Also, watch out for falling masonry, pictures, ornaments...

and take a whiz before Submersives kick in, as it produces too much pressure on the bladder.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page