Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #9781 of 9783 Unread Today, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great info sandbagger - thank you! A couple questions:
  • I just did an Audyssey XT32 set up last night and don't know if I had PGM1 or PGM2 engaged. If it is currently on PGM1 (which, from your description above, sounds like where I should probably have it), I should be good to go. However, for some reason if it is on PGM2, and I want it on PGM1, can I just hit the button or do I need to do another Audyssey calibration with PGM1 engaged?
  • Also, if I do need to change it, do I turn the sub power off, change to PGM1, then power the sub back on?
Finally, after plugging in the Submersive I had a very loud hum coming from both subs. I then plugged the power cord into a "3 prong to 2 prong" adapter and it appears to have gone away. Is it OK to use this adapter plug, or should I try to determine the issue with the hum when using the power cord without the adapter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9783 Unread Today, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked: 2527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Great info sandbagger - thank you! A couple questions:

I just did an Audyssey XT32 set up last night and don't know if I had PGM1 or PGM2 engaged. If it is currently on PGM1 (which, from your description above, sounds like where I should probably have it), I should be good to go. However, for some reason if it is on PGM2, and I want it on PGM1, can I just hit the button or do I need to do another Audyssey calibration with PGM1 engaged?
It depends what you are trying to achieve. Audyssey doesn't care how your Submersive is set when you do the cal, but what it will try to do is bring your frequency response in line with its inbuilt target curve as far as is possible. So if you calibrate with Pgm 2 engaged and then run Audyssey, it will try to get rid of the bass boost that Pgm 2 added. If you calibrate with Pgm 2 engaged, it will do the same, but as the bass boost is less ti begin with, it won't have to work so hard to do it.

The fun begins when you switch Pgms after running Audyssey. Some of us calibrate with Pgm 1 engaged and then, after Audyssey has done its stuff, we switch to Pgm2 on the sub. This means Audyssey doesn't try to remove the bass boost that Pgm 2 brings, so we get some nice additional bass extension.

In theory you should recalibrate with Audyssey whenever you make a change to the system setup or move speakers etc. But this little trick enables us to get even more low end grunt from the Submersives. You need to know which Pgm you were in when you calibrated. If unsure, calibrate again with the Submersive in Pgm 1. Then after calibration have a listen and see how it sounds (after running Audyssey you may want to boost the sub trim in the AVR by about 3dB too). If you want a little more extension, then switch to Pgm 2. Remember you have to switch off the Submersive before the Pgm change comes into effect when you power back on.

Also check that you have Dynamic EQ engaged - especially important if you listen at lower levels, and Dynamic Volume turned OFF.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Also, if I do need to change it, do I turn the sub power off, change to PGM1, then power the sub back on?
Yes.

Quote:
Finally, after plugging in the Submersive I had a very loud hum coming from both subs. I then plugged the power cord into a "3 prong to 2 prong" adapter and it appears to have gone away. Is it OK to use this adapter plug, or should I try to determine the issue with the hum when using the power cord without the adapter?
Try to find out where the ground loop is getting into the system and eliminate it. Only use the adapter as a short term solution. There is a good thread on AVS for hum problems -check out the tips in there.
post #9783 of 9783 Unread Today, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Look up ground loop isolators on Ebay. They cost less than $10. There are more expensive ones. I use one and it completely eliminated the problem for around $6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page