Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes
post #9781 of 9792 Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Great info sandbagger - thank you! A couple questions:
  • I just did an Audyssey XT32 set up last night and don't know if I had PGM1 or PGM2 engaged. If it is currently on PGM1 (which, from your description above, sounds like where I should probably have it), I should be good to go. However, for some reason if it is on PGM2, and I want it on PGM1, can I just hit the button or do I need to do another Audyssey calibration with PGM1 engaged?
  • Also, if I do need to change it, do I turn the sub power off, change to PGM1, then power the sub back on?
Finally, after plugging in the Submersive I had a very loud hum coming from both subs. I then plugged the power cord into a "3 prong to 2 prong" adapter and it appears to have gone away. Is it OK to use this adapter plug, or should I try to determine the issue with the hum when using the power cord without the adapter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3044 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

I just did an Audyssey XT32 set up last night and don't know if I had PGM1 or PGM2 engaged. If it is currently on PGM1 (which, from your description above, sounds like where I should probably have it), I should be good to go. However, for some reason if it is on PGM2, and I want it on PGM1, can I just hit the button or do I need to do another Audyssey calibration with PGM1 engaged?
It depends what you are trying to achieve. Audyssey doesn't care how your Submersive is set when you do the cal, but what it will try to do is bring your frequency response in line with its inbuilt target curve as far as is possible. So if you calibrate with Pgm 2 engaged and then run Audyssey, it will try to get rid of the bass boost that Pgm 2 added. If you calibrate with Pgm 2 engaged, it will do the same, but as the bass boost is less ti begin with, it won't have to work so hard to do it.

The fun begins when you switch Pgms after running Audyssey. Some of us calibrate with Pgm 1 engaged and then, after Audyssey has done its stuff, we switch to Pgm2 on the sub. This means Audyssey doesn't try to remove the bass boost that Pgm 2 brings, so we get some nice additional bass extension.

In theory you should recalibrate with Audyssey whenever you make a change to the system setup or move speakers etc. But this little trick enables us to get even more low end grunt from the Submersives. You need to know which Pgm you were in when you calibrated. If unsure, calibrate again with the Submersive in Pgm 1. Then after calibration have a listen and see how it sounds (after running Audyssey you may want to boost the sub trim in the AVR by about 3dB too). If you want a little more extension, then switch to Pgm 2. Remember you have to switch off the Submersive before the Pgm change comes into effect when you power back on.

Also check that you have Dynamic EQ engaged - especially important if you listen at lower levels, and Dynamic Volume turned OFF.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Also, if I do need to change it, do I turn the sub power off, change to PGM1, then power the sub back on?
Yes.

Quote:
Finally, after plugging in the Submersive I had a very loud hum coming from both subs. I then plugged the power cord into a "3 prong to 2 prong" adapter and it appears to have gone away. Is it OK to use this adapter plug, or should I try to determine the issue with the hum when using the power cord without the adapter?
Try to find out where the ground loop is getting into the system and eliminate it. Only use the adapter as a short term solution. There is a good thread on AVS for hum problems -check out the tips in there.
post #9783 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Look up ground loop isolators on Ebay. They cost less than $10. There are more expensive ones. I use one and it completely eliminated the problem for around $6.
post #9784 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

By using that adapter, you are removing the ground protection, which could potentially cause damage to the equipment or more importantly, you. In other words, you risk electrocution by using that plug. Is it likely? No. It takes something else to be wrong, such as something faulty in the amp, but if something was or went wrong with the amp, and you eliminated your ground protection, the result could be deadly.
post #9785 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
  • I just did an Audyssey XT32 set up last night and don't know if I had PGM1 or PGM2 engaged. If it is currently on PGM1 (which, from your description above, sounds like where I should probably have it), I should be good to go. However, for some reason if it is on PGM2, and I want it on PGM1, can I just hit the button or do I need to do another Audyssey calibration with PGM1 engaged?
  • Also, if I do need to change it, do I turn the sub power off, change to PGM1, then power the sub back on?
The preferred method is to ground the receiver/preamp and not float the ground on the amplifier. There are 2 easy methods to ground a receiver/preamp. I'll have to look if I can dig up an old post where I went into detail, but I really just need to post a few pictures of the connections.

Grounding method 1: Use the antenna input by connecting the FM antenna input on your preamp to the coaxial output connection on any surge protector. How this works: the shell of the coaxial connector in the surge protector is connected to the 3rd pin ground. When you use any coax cable to connect the 2 the preamp is grounded through the shield of the cable.

Grounding method 2: Connect the phono input ground to a ground lug on a surge protector. Many receivers/preamps have phono inputs and next to the RCA connections include a ground terminal. While this is not intended as a safety ground, it can provide a reference ground for the signal chain. Most component/shelf style surge protectors like this inexpensive unit include a brass or gold ground lug/screw on the back:

Using any flexible copper wire you can connect the phono ground to this lug/screw and this will often solve the issue. If the problem persists, try removing different inputs from the preamp one at a time, especially cable or satellite systems to identify what might be causing the interaction. Again the best practice is to first ground the receiver/preamp. Most are not grounded as it evident by their power cord only having 2 connections rather than 3. This makes it much easier/cheaper to ship all over the world, but can leave the "ground" signal floating with significant Voltage. When you connect an item that is properly grounded, it allows a path for this floating Voltage to push current through and right into the audio signal.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #9786 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I had the same issue. There are two things that I did:

1. Make sure your cable (including cable internet) and satellite (I have DirecTV) are wired into the main house ground. I had the hum on my new house -- the electrician came out to wire in my Cox internet and DirecTV coax to the main ground (at their entry point to the house near the service panel) -- and the hum went away (or went 95% away). This is the preferred way to solve the issue BTW -- as it solves the root issue of the ground loop.
  2. I had a very faint hum still after properly grounding the system -- I only could here it if I was really close -- like 12" or less -- to the woofer. I added this isolator (the only one that I am aware of that works for DirecTV feeds BTW) to the coax going into my DirecTV DVR in the theater room where my Seatons are. Now there is zero hum. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-8700 If you have cable of Fios -- you will probably need a different isolator.

Do not rely on the cheater plug method. You are robbing your Seatons of a proper ground.

My Bargain Basement Theater

Last edited by Skrill; Yesterday at 07:21 PM.
post #9787 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Yes, this is what I keep reading. My basement has concrete walls and floor so it is not doing me any favors. Don't get me wrong, the SubM's do sound great down there. But even with my second row on a riser, I'm not getting the sensation I'm after.

Dual Seaton Submersive HP Subwoofers
yosh - sorry if I missed it - have you posted freq sweep (graph) of your output -

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #9788 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
yosh - sorry if I missed it - have you posted freq sweep (graph) of your output -
Nope a mic with REW or omnimic are getting bought soon. Will measure the Seatons if I end up with the mic prior to them selling.

post #9789 of 9792 Unread Yesterday, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I don't own a Submersive but have six 18 in. subs in basement HT. These subs would crush an upstairs room but, a basement is a little different. To start, you loose about 10 db of spl just being downstairs. The concrete floor does not transfer vibrations like a wood floor.

Some type of tactile transducer will get you there a lot easier, cheaper and faster than getting 3 or 4 more subs. It is a matter of personal preference. I thought transducers would be gimmicky, boy was I wrong.
post #9790 of 9792 Unread Today, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Remind me again, with XT32 - post calibration, should Dynamic EQ be "on" and Dynamic Volume be "off" for "best" results? Or is it vice versa?
post #9791 of 9792 Unread Today, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Remind me again, with XT32 - post calibration, should Dynamic EQ be "on" and Dynamic Volume be "off" for "best" results? Or is it vice versa?
You are correct. Not vice versa.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #9792 of 9792 Unread Today, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
You can NEVER have to much sub

True-but given the last time I was able to really push a sub was August 2013(when the wife and kid went to visit grandma and grandpa when I was stuck on call) it *may* be a bit more than I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page