Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 328 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #9811 of 9827 Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puredr1ve View Post
Ok, ill be waiting

Update: Mark got in touch with me, I guess you could say Im a little antsy, especially not having a sub anymore lol.
What did you decide?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9827 Old 02-14-2015, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
What did you decide?
Well I sent him all my info (room size, characteristics, current equipment, what I like to listen to etc) so Im waiting for his input.

Im leaning towards dual submersive (HP+ and slave). I should copy paste what I sent him here, it was a long writeup. here's the room in the diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flavio Basement.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	545969  

Last edited by Puredr1ve; 02-14-2015 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #9813 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 48
So I moved my Seaton SubM Master/Slave setup from the rear corners of my room to the front to see if I could improve the SQ. It may be in my head -- but I felt like I was localizing the subs in the rear even though I had them crossed-over at 80hz.

Below is my REW plot.

Pink = with XT32 on, Dynamic EQ off, no SMS-1 EQ or distance adjustment

Green = with XT32 on, DEQ off, SMS-1 EQ'ing on (with filters set using REW), and adjusting the distance to smooth out the cross over with the mains.

Purple = same as above -- but turning DEQ on adding a nice "house curve".

Overall the improvement in SQ was excellent with real content. I would like to smooth out the valley around 23hz -- but I already have a significant +3db boost there, so I want to be carefull about adding more. At this point - everything below 80hz seems to be +/- 3db -- so I figure I am pretty good.

I had to add a lot of cuts in the 50hz+ ranges (big ones) because as I adjusted the distance of the subs the mid bass started growing markedly. Audyssey set the sub distance at 20 ft (the subs are physically maybe 15 ft from the main listening position). I settled in at 16 ft to get the Green/Purple setup.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated. I am planning on added Gik Soffit Traps and treatments to the room in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GraphSMSEQ-Sub-in front.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	548785  
post #9814 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Purchased this unit since i have 2, F2's. Didnt make a difference.
http://www.radialeng.com/twiniso.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jozwiak View Post
I am thinking of using one of these. http://www.radialeng.com/icecube.php

It should resolve any ground loop issues between your receiver and the subs. It also is safe unlike the cheater plugs.

I think I saw that they were under $100.

Bryan

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
post #9815 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
I use this for my subs:http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-NOISE-AU...-/400231421249

For $6.89, not bad and no degradation in SQ according to Omnimic distortion measurements on my system.
Did you place this near the sub itself -- or near the receiver? Or does it matter?

When I moved my subs to the front ... my hum came back.
post #9816 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have the standard dual opposed master & slave units that I would like to use as speaker stands laying on their sides so that they are 17" high. I don't think it will make any difference, but thought I would post to see what others thought? Any comments will be appreciated . The plate amp side would be facing up obviously with a foam platform [Auralex] that has space for the connections.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

Last edited by HTPCat; 02-16-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Add additional notes
post #9817 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
I have the standard dual opposed master & slave units that I would like to use as speaker stands laying on their sides so that they are 17" high. I don't think it will make any difference, but thought I would post to see what others thought? Any comments will be appreciated . The plate amp side would be facing up obviously with a foam platform [Auralex] that has space for the connections.
I have the same question for the F2. Is there any problem laying it on its side? Due to how I was considering creating a shelf for my LCR's, laying the two F2's on their side could make life easier.
post #9818 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The F2 can be oriented any way you would like. Should make great speaker stands. Obviously get a pad to sit between the two as you already know.
post #9819 of 9827 Old 02-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
one of the GTG's years ago Mark placed a DVD player on top of a SubM, no one really noticed until after the demo of War of the Worlds was over at Reference levels. The DVD did not skip a beat!

you can place any side you like down providing the amp can get some air, and its not driver face down

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #9820 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Did you place this near the sub itself -- or near the receiver? Or does it matter?

When I moved my subs to the front ... my hum came back.
I use the adapter near the avr coming off the sub out connected to a Y adapter since I have to split the signal to the shakers and subs.
post #9821 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
I use the adapter near the avr coming off the sub out connected to a Y adapter since I have to split the signal to the shakers and subs.
Great -- thank you for the response. I am going to give this a try.
post #9822 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just giving out a heads-up that the F2 is not 100% inert like the "standard layout" SubMersive during use.
post #9823 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

I think HTPCat was asking about laying a standard Submersive on its side, and I probably derailed him getting an answer to that. Anyone know if he can do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Just giving out a heads-up that the F2 is not 100% inert like the "standard layout" SubMersive during use.
In my case, I'm not looking to use the F2 as a speaker stand, but instead to simply layout down so that it has a wide, short footprint rather than a narrow, tall one. This is so I can run a single shelf across the back for my LCRs, rather than three small ones, but also so that I have more flexibility in sub placement, so that I could try them flanking the Center, under the L/R, to the outside of the L/R, etc.
HTPCat likes this.
post #9824 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes you can do that as long as you have some air flow for the heat sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
HTPCat likes this.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #9825 of 9827 Old 02-17-2015, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
I have the same question for the F2. Is there any problem laying it on its side? Due to how I was considering creating a shelf for my LCR's, laying the two F2's on their side could make life easier.
No problem at all. It is a configuration for the F2 approved by Mark. You will need to remove the feet. I believe that when you have removed the feet you may need to reinsert the screws to ensure the cabinet remains airtight.
post #9826 of 9827 Old Today, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
No problem at all. It is a configuration for the F2 approved by Mark. You will need to remove the feet. I believe that when you have removed the feet you may need to reinsert the screws to ensure the cabinet remains airtight.
Ok, I do remember reading something about reinserting screws, so that sounds familiar now. I guess in my case, since it will be behind a screen wall, I can just leave the feet attached so I don't lose them in case I ever want to change the configuration.

I wonder if I should put a rubber isolation mat under them if I lay them on the side and won't have the rubber feet anymore.
post #9827 of 9827 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3306 Post(s)
Liked: 2653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
Ok, I do remember reading something about reinserting screws, so that sounds familiar now. I guess in my case, since it will be behind a screen wall, I can just leave the feet attached so I don't lose them in case I ever want to change the configuration.

I wonder if I should put a rubber isolation mat under them if I lay them on the side and won't have the rubber feet anymore.
Can’t do any harm and it will also protect them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page