Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 331 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 106Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9901 of 9929 Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,565
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Does having one master and one slave SubMersive count as having two subwoofers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I purchased two HP+ instead of the master/ slave option.
You have 2 subwoofers and he has 2subwoofers. Nonetheless, if either of you place the boxes close together, you'll both have 2 subwoofers that "work" like 1 subwoofer.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9902 of 9929 Old 03-21-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 2,018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
You have 2 subwoofers and he has 2subwoofers. Nonetheless, if either of you place the boxes close together, you'll both have 2 subwoofers that "work" like 1 subwoofer.

Craig
Is there ever a situation where it would be better to get two separate powered SubMersives vs. one powered and one slave? I am assuming that the master/slave combo works best when there will be one in each side of the same wall?
Kain is online now  
post #9903 of 9929 Old 03-21-2015, 05:20 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Ok, was just curious as they are really two different products. The antimode will give you convenience with auto correction but limited to two outputs while the 2x4 gives more connection flexibility but requires more time to understand it fully. I have never used the antimode product but have heard generally positive feedback on it. I think the dual core is rather expensive compare to other options but sometimes it's all about convenience. Did you go with the dual core or 8033.

Glad to hear you are already impressed with just one hooked up. Adding the second should be fun
I have not yet purchased them but I planned to order the 8033 antimode in the coming week. The Antimode does not appear to have very good distribution in the U.S.

I purchased two different things to deal with the ground loop in my cable tv. The Viewsonic ground loop isolator works at the coax while the Rane balance buddy works between the receiver sub output and the sub XLR.

The Jensen website also has a lot of options as well. I would rather not put a device between the sub output on my receiver and the Submersives since many of the items only have frequency response down to 20Hz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewsonic.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	617353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rane balance buddy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	617361  

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9904 of 9929 Old 03-21-2015, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jkasanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Is there ever a situation where it would be better to get two separate powered SubMersives vs. one powered and one slave? I am assuming that the master/slave combo works best when there will be one in each side of the same wall?
In general, if the subs will be relatively equidistant from MLP then a master slave setup is ideal. If one of the subs will be significantly closer to the MLP then you might require a separate amp to apply separate gain, level and distance settings. The nice thing about the master/slave combo from Mark is that you can always add an amp later to the slave if needed.

Last edited by jkasanic; 03-22-2015 at 04:49 AM.
jkasanic is offline  
post #9905 of 9929 Old 03-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
rgiorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you have 2 sub outs on your preamp/receiver. You will be able to gain and equalize independently. My Marantz 7008 does this so i went with 2 seperate F2's from Mark and did an Audysee Pro calibration. great results



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Is there ever a situation where it would be better to get two separate powered SubMersives vs. one powered and one slave? I am assuming that the master/slave combo works best when there will be one in each side of the same wall?

7.2 with Thiel Power Points, twin Seaton Submersive F2's in Espresso. Krell Showcase Amp, Marantz Pre-Pro, Richard Grey Power, Control 4 Home Automation, lots of Blue Jean Cables, Oppo 103D, Sony DVD 777 400 Disc Changer and Samsung Plasma 64" 8500 all in a Salamander Synergy 247 in Walnut.
rgiorgio is offline  
post #9906 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 21,983
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Is there ever a situation where it would be better to get two separate powered SubMersives vs. one powered and one slave? I am assuming that the master/slave combo works best when there will be one in each side of the same wall?
The master/slave is two subwoofers sharing one amplifier. That means you have no individual control (gain, EQ, anything) over each sub individually. If the subs are equidistant from MLP and in an acoustically similar environment (not one in a corner and one in the open for example) then there's no disadvantage to the master/slave. If you have two Submersives powered independently, then the clear benefit is that you will have two amps and twice the power - this could be useful in a really large room. Also, you could set the gains separately. You’d normally EQ both subs as one anyway so there's no loss there.

I have dual F2s with the 6,000 watt (UK spec) amp and couldn’t be happier. My subs are equidistant from MLP - one each side of the room on the side walls.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #9907 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
djbluemax1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
The master/slave is two subwoofers sharing one amplifier. That means you have no individual control (gain, EQ, anything) over each sub individually. If the subs are equidistant from MLP and in an acoustically similar environment (not one in a corner and one in the open for example) then there's no disadvantage to the master/slave. If you have two Submersives powered independently, then the clear benefit is that you will have two amps and twice the power - this could be useful in a really large room. Also, you could set the gains separately. You’d normally EQ both subs as one anyway so there's no loss there.

I have dual F2s with the 6,000 watt (UK spec) amp and couldn’t be happier. My subs are equidistant from MLP - one each side of the room on the side walls.
Just wanted to point out that the underlined is not quite correct.

The US 120v version of the Submersive HP+ M+S amp can put out 2400watts when powering one sub (the same as the Submersive 2400watt). With the paralleled load of a pair of subs in the M+S configuration, the 120v amp will put out 4000 watts to the 2 sub boxes vs 2x2400 = 4800 watts with the 2 individually powered subs. That 800 watt difference (20% more power) will produce something like a 0.3 - 0.5db increase in maximum SPL which is pretty much negligible, especially when considering the cost difference between 2 x SubM HP vs the SubM M+S configuration. ***The Euro 240v version can produce 6000watts in the M+S configuration, and still, that 2000 watt advantage (50%) over the 120v amp only produces about a less than 2 db Max SPL advantage)***.

If the subs can be placed equidistant (even IF one is corner loaded and the other is not, gain matching 2 independently powered identical subs is always a good idea, so at a given signal level, both will approach their limits at the same time), the M+S is a simple choice. The reason to go for 2 independently powered subs is either if the subs will have large variances in distance to the MLP (i.e. one sub in the front of the room and the other right behind the couch), or if the user is going to get 2 SubM Masters with plans to add 2 Slaves at a later time, i.e. starting with 2 subs and planning to eventually have 4.


Max

Last edited by djbluemax1; 03-22-2015 at 01:42 PM.
djbluemax1 is offline  
post #9908 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 21,983
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4013 Post(s)
Liked: 3023
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
Just wanted to point out that the underlined is not quite correct.

The US 120v version of the Submersive HP+ M+S amp can put out 2400watts when powering one sub (the same as the Submersive 2400watt). With the paralleled load of a pair of subs in the M+S configuration, the 120v amp will put out 4000 watts to the 2 sub boxes vs 2x2400 = 4800 watts with the 2 individually powered subs. That 800 watt difference (20% more power) will produce something like a 0.3 - 0.5db increase in maximum SPL which is pretty much negligible, especially when considering the cost difference between 2 x SubM HP vs the SubM M+S configuration. ***The Euro 240v version can produce 6000watts in the M+S configuration, and still, that 2000 watt advantage (50%) over the 120v amp only produces about a less than 2 db Max SPL advantage)***.

If the subs can be placed equidistant (even IF one is corner loaded and the other is not, gain matching 2 independently powered identical subs is always a good idea, so at a given signal level, both will approach their limits at the same time), the M+S is a simple choice. The reason to go for 2 independently powered subs is either if the subs will have large variances in distance to the MLP (i.e. one sub in the front of the room and the other right behind the couch), or if the user is going to get 2 SubM Masters with plans to add 2 Slaves at a later time, i.e. starting with 2 subs and planning to eventually have 4.


Max
Excellent points Max.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #9909 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
zdoggz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Agreed. As long as the distance difference from each sub to the MLP is within a few feet difference then the m+s combo is definitely the way to go imo...thats why Mark offers this option!
zdoggz is online now  
post #9910 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 05:03 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Ground loops when using the XLR-RCA adapters and high power (>1000W) amplifiers is more common that we would prefer. In most systems using a non-grounded preamp such as your Integra, it's usually a simple fix of providing a ground at the preamp. There are a few options, but the most convenient is if you have a surge protector near the preamp.

1. If your surge protector has a coaxial output for cable/sat, you can connect either of the outputs to the antenna input with any coax cable. The surge protector grounds the shell of the coax to the 3rd pin ground at the wall and provides a ground to the receiver through the braided shield of the cable.

2. If you have a component/rack style surge protector similar to this or this you can connect any wire from the "ground lug" on the back to the ground terminal on the back of your preamp next to the phono input (small thumb-screw).

3. You can also connect a wire to the phono ground screw on your Integra and then to a screw on an outlet cover or to any other device that is grounded. For testing you can even just wrap the wire around the threaded shell of the coax outputs on a surge protector.

All of these work in the same manner, with the preference just being what will stay in place and what is easiest to accommodate. You may also want to try disconnecting the cable or satellite line from the electronics to check if this is the source of the problem.
Mark,

Quick update on my impressions of the dual Seaton Submersive HP+ vs. my JL Audio F112 pair as I wait for my cable tv line hum eliminator:

I did a quick Audyssey XT32 calibration (waiting on my minidsp 2x4 to EQ them properly) prior to listening:
1.) These subs are in a different league vs. my dual JL Audio F112
2.) Listening to pop/rock with strong electronic bass beats, it finally provides the hit you in the chest, totally clean, tight and fast bass that I was looking for. Note: The JL Audio F112s are really phenomenal for their size and they will take up position in the rear of my room.
3.) I have not yet found their limits. The wife needs to be out of the house prior to this test
4.) I was waiting a while, debating between a JL Audio Gotham or Paradigm Sub 2. For about the price of a single Gotham or Sub 2, I now have four incredible subwoofers in my movie room with the added benefit of having the dual Submersives vs. a single Gotham or Sub 2.
5.) The power headroom of the Submersives might be compared to when you hear a very powerful singer that can effortlessly keep increasing the volume and you have total confidence that their voice can keep getting louder without any hint of strain.
6.) I have only tested a few movies. The transformer (original) scene where Ironhide does the barrel roll to dodge the tank ordinance while the lady below him screams was finally done right with no unnatural sounds. The first two transformer movies, while they may not have the deepest bass, have some powerful bass that is truly amazing to me with these new subs. I was just sitting there with a smile on my face.
7.) Again, music is truly phenomenal in my room: clean, very tight, powerful bass ... it puts a grin on my face when I crank it up.

So I am completely happy with my purchase and can't wait to continue to demo more and more movies. I have already sent an invite out to my buddies for guys movie night next weekend.
Skrill and sandbagger like this.

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910

Last edited by farsider3000; 03-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9911 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Very nice! Can't wait to hear your impressions.

What finish did you get?
Kain,

I got the black maple. They look great. I plan to have custom black velvet (sounds weird when I write that) covers made to keep the subs even more hidden in my room. Check out my impressions a few posts up. I am extremely impressed. One of the best, if not the best, upgrade I have made for my theater.

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910

Last edited by farsider3000; 03-22-2015 at 07:04 PM.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9912 of 9929 Old 03-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Sounds like it's probably a ground loop hum (60hz hum). It is likely not a problem with the SubM - but a combination of wiring in the home and lack of a unified ground.

Do some searches on "ground loop" in the subwoofer forum. A definitive test would be to plug a "cheater" plug adapter (three-prong to two-prong AC adapter) into the power lead on the SubM and then into the wall. If that solves the hum -- you have a ground loop. But a cheater plug is not a fix -- you need to address the actual issue causing the hum - or try an inline isolator.

BTW -- SubMs are everything people say they are -- but I have found ground loops to be an issue that has to be dealt with for this sub. Maybe the amps are particularly sensitive or something.

Just saw your update -- you have a ground loop

Another member recommended this a few pages back. I bought one and it worked like a charm. http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-NOISE-AU...249?rmvSB=true

Thanks Skrill,

I did trace it back to a ground loop with my cable TV coax line coming into my system (Tivo which then has an hdmi to my receiver). Ordered an inline coax ground loop isolator (see image attached). Jensen also makes one which everyone seems to like. I'm glad it had nothing to do with the Submersives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewsonic.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	619393  

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910

Last edited by farsider3000; 03-22-2015 at 07:05 PM.
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9913 of 9929 Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
Ok, was just curious as they are really two different products. The antimode will give you convenience with auto correction but limited to two outputs while the 2x4 gives more connection flexibility but requires more time to understand it fully. I have never used the antimode product but have heard generally positive feedback on it. I think the dual core is rather expensive compare to other options but sometimes it's all about convenience. Did you go with the dual core or 8033.

Glad to hear you are already impressed with just one hooked up. Adding the second should be fun
Update... The ground loop isolator worked perfectly and completely eliminated the hum caused by the cable TV coax. I am still able to get all my HD channels and the Submersives are completely silent.

I also ordered the Anti-mode 8033II. Now I am wondering if I should have ordered the new dual core. I am trying to understand if there are really any performance advantages to the dual core vs. the 8033II.

Imagine Thor's hammer dropping down in your movie room / theater room / sitting position... that is how I am now describing my new Submersives. Insane!

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9914 of 9929 Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 PM
Senior Member
 
cdnbum88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Thanks Skrill,

I did trace it back to a ground loop with my cable TV coax line coming into my system (Tivo which then has an hdmi to my receiver). Ordered an inline coax ground loop isolator (see image attached). Jensen also makes one which everyone seems to like. I'm glad it had nothing to do with the Submersives.

I thought this was a no no sort of solution? It was to be used as a test, but not a permanent fixture in the mix from what I read before. Maybe I am losing my mind and can't remember.

I still have a hum but much better with the RCA isolater, but the inline item I bought did not work for me.

cdnbum88 is offline  
post #9915 of 9929 Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Seaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 6,128
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnbum88 View Post
I thought this was a no no sort of solution? It was to be used as a test, but not a permanent fixture in the mix from what I read before. Maybe I am losing my mind and can't remember.

I still have a hum but much better with the RCA isolater, but the inline item I bought did not work for me.
The coaxial isolation transformer is the preferred and proper fix for a ground loop that goes away when the cable line is physically disconnected from the system. I recommend first grounding the receiver as mentioned in my post above, but as we saw, this won't always fix the issue for all systems (in many cases it does).

You are thinking of the cheater plug Skrill posted a picture of above. Those should only be used for testing and not left in place. *IF* the outlets are *all* wired correctly, and all connected items never have an internal fault, you can sometimes get away with them but all other options we've discussed are preferred to this approach.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Mark Seaton is offline  
post #9916 of 9929 Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 PM
Senior Member
 
cdnbum88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
The coaxial isolation transformer is the preferred and proper fix for a ground loop that goes away when the cable line is physically disconnected from the system. I recommend first grounding the receiver as mentioned in my post above, but as we saw, this won't always fix the issue for all systems (in many cases it does).

You are thinking of the cheater plug Skrill posted a picture of above. Those should only be used for testing and not left in place. *IF* the outlets are *all* wired correctly, and all connected items never have an internal fault, you can sometimes get away with them but all other options we've discussed are preferred to this approach.
Yes thanks Mark I should have mentioned I was referring to the Skrill item as a long term fix.

cdnbum88 is offline  
post #9917 of 9929 Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mark Seaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 6,128
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Mark,

Quick update on my impressions of the dual Seaton Submersive HP+ vs. my JL Audio F112 pair as I wait for my cable tv line hum eliminator:

I did a quick Audyssey XT32 calibration (waiting on my minidsp 2x4 to EQ them properly) prior to listening:
1.) These subs are in a different league vs. my dual JL Audio F112
2.) Listening to pop/rock with strong electronic bass beats, it finally provides the hit you in the chest, totally clean, tight and fast bass that I was looking for. Note: The JL Audio F112s are really phenomenal for their size and they will take up position in the rear of my room.
3.) I have not yet found their limits. The wife needs to be out of the house prior to this test
4.) I was waiting a while, debating between a JL Audio Gotham or Paradigm Sub 2. For about the price of a single Gotham or Sub 2, I now have four incredible subwoofers in my movie room with the added benefit of having the dual Submersives vs. a single Gotham or Sub 2.
5.) The power headroom of the Submersives might be compared to when you hear a very powerful singer that can effortlessly keep increasing the volume and you have total confidence that their voice can keep getting louder without any hint of strain.
6.) I have only tested a few movies. The transformer (original) scene where Ironhide does the barrel roll to dodge the tank ordinance while the lady below him screams was finally done right with no unnatural sounds. The first two transformer movies, while they may not have the deepest bass, have some powerful bass that is truly amazing to me with these new subs. I was just sitting there with a smile on my face.
7.) Again, music is truly phenomenal in my room: clean, very tight, powerful bass ... it puts a grin on my face when I crank it up.

So I am completely happy with my purchase and can't wait to continue to demo more and more movies. I have already sent an invite out to my buddies for guys movie night next weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Update... The ground loop isolator worked perfectly and completely eliminated the hum caused by the cable TV coax. I am still able to get all my HD channels and the Submersives are completely silent.

I also ordered the Anti-mode 8033II. Now I am wondering if I should have ordered the new dual core. I am trying to understand if there are really any performance advantages to the dual core vs. the 8033II.

Imagine Thor's hammer dropping down in your movie room / theater room / sitting position... that is how I am now describing my new Submersives. Insane!
Great to hear you are having fun with the SubMersives and are finding it to be a worthwhile upgrade. Effortless, articulate power is exactly what I hope owners are able to realize in their room. Keep experimenting with setup, and definitely pick up a microphone and Room EQ Wizard if you have any interest to venture down that rabbit hole. I and many here can help decipher some of the squiggly lines once you get it connected and running.

Enjoy!

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Mark Seaton is offline  
post #9918 of 9929 Old 03-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Member
 
farsider3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston area
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just received my XTZ analyzer pro II as well as my DSpeaker Anti-mode 8033II and minidsp units. I have some experimenting and work ahead of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antimode vs minidsp.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	628193  

Dual Seaton Submersive HP+ up front, Dual JL Audio F112 in the rear / 2.39:1 Stewart Filmscreen electric screen 119.5" diagonal Studiotek 100 material / JVC 4910
farsider3000 is offline  
post #9919 of 9929 Old 03-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Senior Member
 
McLuvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 257
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Just received my XTZ analyzer pro II as well as my DSpeaker Anti-mode 8033II and minidsp units. I have some experimenting and work ahead of me.
Lotta nice toys you got there...
McLuvin is offline  
post #9920 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
1. If your surge protector has a coaxial output for cable/sat, you can connect either of the outputs to the antenna input with any coax cable. The surge protector grounds the shell of the coax to the 3rd pin ground at the wall and provides a ground to the receiver through the braided shield of the cable.
Is this (attached image) the correct way?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belkin2b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	655481  
HTNUT1975 likes this.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #9921 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
galoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
^ that's funny
galoot is offline  
post #9922 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 05:36 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by galoot View Post
^ that's funny
Apparently I got it wrong. Please forgive my ignorance.
Does he mean the antenna input on the receiver?
Thanks.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #9923 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got it.
He suggested to ground the receiver. I thought he meant some tricks to help ground the sub. I thought my receiver has ground.
Thanks again.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #9924 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
galoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oops, thought you were just joking connecting the single wire to itself 😊
galoot is offline  
post #9925 of 9929 Old 04-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
Tnedator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 812
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbadge View Post
Apparently I got it wrong. Please forgive my ignorance.
Does he mean the antenna input on the receiver?
Thanks.
Yes he meant running the coax from the power strip to the antenna input on the receiver. Most receivers aren't grounded, as they have a two prong plug instead of three prongs. Therefore you can get a ground loop/hum from cable or satellite.
Tnedator is offline  
post #9926 of 9929 Old 04-09-2015, 02:17 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by galoot View Post
Oops, thought you were just joking connecting the single wire to itself 😊
No, I am not very bright plus been through a lot lately hence the "joke."
My AVR has phono in with ground so I thought the whole thing has ground. Never thought to ground the AVR itself. But thanks to your post I found out something was wrong in my... thoughts.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #9927 of 9929 Old 04-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
Yes he meant running the coax from the power strip to the antenna input on the receiver. Most receivers aren't grounded, as they have a two prong plug instead of three prongs. Therefore you can get a ground loop/hum from cable or satellite.
Got it. Thanks a lot for the clarification.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #9928 of 9929 Old Today, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Skrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
I use this for my subs:http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-NOISE-AU...-/400231421249

For $6.89, not bad and no degradation in SQ according to Omnimic distortion measurements on my system.
I just wanted to revisit my recommendation of this hum filter. I was taking measurements for the first time since I installed it a couple months ago as I just added some acoustic treatments. I was getting really odd results with all the bass being attenuated rolling off terribly starting at 40 hz (at 20hz it was down over 15db). I traced the issue to this ground loop isolator (along with an intermittent drop off in the 80 hz area). Once I took it out of the signal chain I got much flatter response including very good response below 20hz.

So if you are using this -- I would recommend you take measurements. Perhaps mine is just defective -- but this thing seems to be junk, and I wouldn't trust it.

It certainly kills the hum -- but also kills your bass response.
Skrill is offline  
post #9929 of 9929 Old Today, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Modicen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys, I hoping you guys can help me out with my master slave setup. I went to turn on the amp on the SubMersives to watch a movie and it made 4 or 5 clicks, each click was in unison with a red light protection flash and then it just flashes 4 slow flashes followed by 5 fast flashes. I disconnected everything from the amp and then justed plugged in the power and I get the same thing. I think it's cooked but just want your opinions.
Modicen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off