Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 332 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #9931 of 9953 Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks HTPCat, I emailed Mark earlier tonight and he replied right away and is going to send me packing material and a return label and take care of it. Great service. Hopefully I will be up and running soon. Keep you posted.

Mario
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9953 Old 04-20-2015, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I just wanted to revisit my recommendation of this hum filter. I was taking measurements for the first time since I installed it a couple months ago as I just added some acoustic treatments. I was getting really odd results with all the bass being attenuated rolling off terribly starting at 40 hz (at 20hz it was down over 15db). I traced the issue to this ground loop isolator (along with an intermittent drop off in the 80 hz area). Once I took it out of the signal chain I got much flatter response including very good response below 20hz.

So if you are using this -- I would recommend you take measurements. Perhaps mine is just defective -- but this thing seems to be junk, and I wouldn't trust it.

It certainly kills the hum -- but also kills your bass response.

I did measure distortion with Omnimic.
post #9933 of 9953 Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
I did measure distortion with Omnimic.
I was measuring with REW and a UMM-6. My bass response with the hum filter showed an odd dip around the crossover (80hz) that would come and go, and a steep roll off starting at 40hz. I don't have the charts - but I was down 10 db at 30 hz, 15+ at 20 hz and at the noise floor by 15hz. Without the filter I had 85 db response +/- 3db from 15hz to 80hz (which is pretty normal for my setup with the MVC set at -15 -- which is where I measure).

Again -- maybe my unit is defective.
post #9934 of 9953 Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

This is my response. You may need to work on the phase and time alignment of the system. I am not sure without knowing more about your system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FR 2.4.15.2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	675873  
post #9935 of 9953 Old 04-24-2015, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
This is my response. You may need to work on the phase and time alignment of the system. I am not sure without knowing more about your system.
Phase and time alignment are handled by receiver using Audyssey XT32 - and I don't think that is the issue.

I took some measurements. And tried something new -- this Hosa GLT-255 ground lift adapter that I picked up for $9.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the baseline sweep with Audyssey on (but Dynamic EQ or DEQ off) - and the sub signal running through my Velodyne SMS-1 to get some further smoothing. Master Volume on the Denon is set to -15db. I used a UMM-6 mic and REW to take the measurements (and set the filters for the SMS-1). None of the charts have smoothing on. This chart shows the sweep using only a cheater plug to kill the ground loop hum:

This next graph is using a Hosa GLT-255 ground lift filter in the signal chain (and plugging in the Seaton SubM directly - i.e., no cheater plug).

I did not overlay them as they are essentially identical measurements.

Next is the reading with the GLT-255 (green) versus the Ebay hum filter Derrick and I are discussing (purple):

You can see the Ebay filter is murdering my bass response. Again -- this could be due to a defective unit. I did email the vendor, and he said he would send a new one.

For fun -- here is a sweep with the GLT-255 (no cheater plug) and DEQ turned back on (blue) - which is how I listen.

So the Hosa GLT-255 seems to be a winner. It kills the ground loop hum dead (I can't hear it at all with my ear virtually against the woofer). And seems to do nothing to the signal quality. Oh and it's $9 shipped via Amazon ... can't beat that!

I would love to further address the dip that starts around 28hz -- but it is within 3db of the average response, and I can only do some much tweaking when there are so many great movies to watch and music to listen to. To my ears the system sounds great.

Last edited by Skrill; 04-25-2015 at 07:14 AM.
post #9936 of 9953 Old 04-25-2015, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Keep the GLT filter. Since there is no smoothing, I would not worry about any small dips and be happy. You have excellent results and none of the small peaks and dips will be audible. These graphs don't need to look like a line made with a straight edge.

Your results are way different than mines with the filter. You lost around 35 db.
post #9937 of 9953 Old 04-25-2015, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just got back from AXPONA here in Chicago.

My first time experiencing a full 7.4 Seaton System. He was running Catalyst L/C/R, Spark surrounds (x4), and four different (dual stacks) of massive 15" subwoofers.

Damn!

That Interstellar vortex scene was just nuts. I heard people talking about it on other floors as I ventured around and rightly so; a ridiculous amount of raw, effortless, clean sound with crystal clear dialogue punching right through the center of that absolutely giant room. They sounded like they were not even close to straining in the slightest, which is saying a lot for how huge that room was.

The Catalysts impressed me as much as the subs; they not only keep up for movies but played music perfectly as well.

Mark, you've come a long way since selling me that Contrabass out of your garage circa 2003!

Cheers to the most fun room at AXPONA 2015.
Mark Seaton and sandbagger like this.
post #9938 of 9953 Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
No new subs by Mark? Submersive XL was suppose to be launched.
post #9939 of 9953 Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNine View Post
Just got back from AXPONA here in Chicago.

My first time experiencing a full 7.4 Seaton System. He was running Catalyst L/C/R, Spark surrounds (x4), and four different (dual stacks) of massive 15" subwoofers.

Damn!

That Interstellar vortex scene was just nuts. I heard people talking about it on other floors as I ventured around and rightly so; a ridiculous amount of raw, effortless, clean sound with crystal clear dialogue punching right through the center of that absolutely giant room. They sounded like they were not even close to straining in the slightest, which is saying a lot for how huge that room was.

The Catalysts impressed me as much as the subs; they not only keep up for movies but played music perfectly as well.

Mark, you've come a long way since selling me that Contrabass out of your garage circa 2003!

Cheers to the most fun room at AXPONA 2015.
Great to catch up with you after so long Jack. The Interstellar wormhole scene was a ton of fun, as it's always fun to feel a concrete slab floor flex & shudder under your feet.

Great to hear you enjoyed both the movie and music demos, and thank you for the compliments.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #9940 of 9953 Old 04-27-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTemp View Post
No new subs by Mark? Submersive XL was suppose to be launched.
I had announced the new Spark would be on display, and we had 4 of them serving surround duty with 2 on static display at the entry of the room. I had not stated the XL would be there, but had suggested it was possible a few months back. We were not at a point where where I wanted to demonstrate any 18"/XL prototypes quite yet with such a big production to pull together and only 1 day to set up. When I do finally post some pictures or pricing, it won't be too long before they are shipping, but I won't be announcing any time lines before then.
countryWV likes this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #9941 of 9953 Old 05-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Anyone know how much it would cost to convert a submersive F2 slave to a stand alone unit? Basically, I need to buy the amplifier.
post #9942 of 9953 Old 05-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Call and or email Mark

I dont think you would be the first one to ever do this, should be straight forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
Anyone know how much it would cost to convert a submersive F2 slave to a stand alone unit? Basically, I need to buy the amplifier.

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #9943 of 9953 Old 05-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger View Post
Call and or email Mark

I dont think you would be the first one to ever do this, should be straight forward.
You know how Mark gets behind on emails, so while I was waiting, I was wondering if anyone on here knew how much.
sandbagger likes this.
post #9944 of 9953 Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnedator View Post
You know how Mark gets behind on emails, so while I was waiting, I was wondering if anyone on here knew how much.
The cost difference between the F2 HP+ and the F2 slave is $1500 so that's probably a good starting point.
post #9945 of 9953 Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twells View Post
The cost difference between the F2 HP+ and the F2 slave is $1500 so that's probably a good starting point.
Thanks
post #9946 of 9953 Old 05-06-2015, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've been looking at buying a pair of F2s and also looking at PSA S3000s - does anyone have any experience of both?

My room is approx. 17ft x 12 x 8ft high.

I have had a Paradigm Sub 1 which I have sold, so hoping for a significant upgrade.

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
post #9947 of 9953 Old 05-07-2015, 11:09 AM

Ive sold my Sub 1 so I'm ready to buy - theres a lot of reading in this thread !

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
post #9948 of 9953 Old 05-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have Paradigm speakers also and was going to buy the sub 1! I went and auditioned it and was not impressed at all. I heard the Submersive that I talked my buddy into buying and neither of us have looked back. We both have Submersive Hp's with the master /slave option. Best purchase I've ever made!!
AidenL likes this.

Last edited by NextLevel217; 05-10-2015 at 01:02 PM.
post #9949 of 9953 Old 05-10-2015, 07:37 AM

Ok, decision made - I'm about to order a HP i+ master / slave and join the club.

I'll get the benefit of 6000 watts here.
audiofan1 and DRC3 like this.

post #9950 of 9953 Old Today, 05:26 AM

Liked: 10
Serious question. Can a single submersive cause structural damage? I was watching Transformers Age of extinction last night and apparently the cabinets in the masterbath above the theater were vibrating badly.
I absolutely love my submersive, but am just worried about damaging the structure of our new home...
post #9951 of 9953 Old Today, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I havent yet and I have the first prototype

It would take a lot more than just one in a very small room.

Yes it can make shelves and cabinets rattle and vibrate walls enough to make pictures fall off the wall, but not structural damage.

If it could I wouldnt want to live in the home and we dont even get earthquakes for the most part around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post
Serious question. Can a single submersive cause structural damage? I was watching Transformers Age of extinction last night and apparently the cabinets in the masterbath above the theater were vibrating badly.
I absolutely love my submersive, but am just worried about damaging the structure of our new home...

Kevin
----------
Motor City Custom Audio
Bringing you Custom subwoofer kits, with flames if you want
Onix and Melody Valve Hi Fi Audio Dealer serving the Midwest and Canada
post #9952 of 9953 Old Today, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post
No you are abusing it with calibration issues.
post #9953 of 9953 Old Today, 07:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
No you are abusing it with calibration issues.
Could you elaborate on this? I set the dial on the sub at the halfway point and then let audyssey set the level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page