Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 334 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 170Likes

post #9991 of 10009 Old 06-20-2015, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
I'd be very surprised if he's using the off the shelf Ultimax driver that PE sells. It might have the same cone, surround, and frame / basket, but the other parts (motor, vc, spider, etc) could be totally different.
Correct, he would have his own magic sauce in it,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10009 Old 06-24-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
What speakers are those? They look too short to be JTR 215's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
They look like the 215RM's to me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Yeah they are 215 rm's on stands.
They look amazing on those stands!

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #9993 of 10009 Old 06-24-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys- just wanted to post a pix of my front stage with 4 F2's (with 2 HP's behind my second row seating).

My appreciation goes out to Mark for manufacturing a great (and fun as hell) sub! Movies are great, but music really shines. My second row seating is on a suspended platform....it vibrates violently on low frequency material. The boys and I love it, the wife, eh not so much..lol.

I have very capable speakers, but everything sounds fantastic crossed at 80 with LFE only. One of these days, I'll experiment with external dsp, but for now i'm very happy with how it sounds.

For those thinking about Mark's subs, there is a reason that the design has been around for 10 years (with modifications) and still has excellent reviews.

Gotta shut things down and get back to work....
I'd say keep it grill and plantless. Looks very intimidating IMO

My Setup Thread
post #9994 of 10009 Old 06-24-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
They look amazing on those stands!
Thanks man! I have followed many a post on your system as well....plants are the wife's idea, LOL. Prolly time to start thinking about an AT screen.
post #9995 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have question: Does the psa 3000 compete with seaton subm ? Is the psa v3600 a better value then seaton subm ?
post #9996 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nope!!! Not at all
post #9997 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel217 View Post
Nope!!! Not at all
Why is he making that claim. Suposetly there charts make this comparison.
NextLevel217 likes this.
post #9998 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks man! I have followed many a post on your system as well....plants are the wife's idea, LOL. Prolly time to start thinking about an AT screen.
Nice! I need to update my pics now that I got a decent camera. Actual the green is a nice touch
I am going to get the mini dsp 88A and implement Dirac. No more XT32. Although XT32 and the Open DRC mini dsp on the two Submersives are quite nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristian0507 View Post
Have question: Does the psa 3000 compete with seaton subm ? Is the psa v3600 a better value then seaton subm ?
All I know is two 2400 HP's in my room are flat to 8hz and absolutely dominate! Big credit to the wealth of knowledge on AVS and guiding me in room configuration and how to optimize gear and seating placement in respect to boundries. But I have a general open area so its pretty nice. Other areas still flat to 10-12hz. Impact and authority of these babies still impress me. I have come on here amazed a few times since getting these and raved. I'm not a fan boy, in fact I tried other routes first but I'm 100% satisfied.
Modicen, DRC3 and NextLevel217 like this.

My Setup Thread
post #9999 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Seaton Sound SubMersive1

Quote:

Those charts are ridiculous anyways, why anyone would even bother to pay attention to those charts is mind boggling.

The only subs that they should even consider using with those silly charts are the subs that have been third party tested by someone like Josh Ricci.
post #10000 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 1112
Quote:
Why are you trying to stir the pot? Show me where Tom makes that claim? He has pointed out several times that the Seaton SubMersive is one of the best subs made.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 & C48, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95 and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek R5Bi, PSA XS30, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #10001 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Nice! I need to update my pics now that I got a decent camera. Actual the green is a nice touch
I am going to get the mini dsp 88A and implement Dirac. No more XT32. Although XT32 and the Open DRC mini dsp on the two Submersives are quite nice.

All I know is two 2400 HP's in my room are flat to 8hz and absolutely dominate! Big credit to the wealth of knowledge on AVS and guiding me in room configuration and how to optimize gear and seating placement in respect to boundries. But I have a general open area so its pretty nice. Other areas still flat to 10-12hz. Impact and authority of these babies still impress me. I have come on here amazed a few times since getting these and raved. I'm not a fan boy, in fact I tried other routes first but I'm 100% satisfied.
I love the seatons as well. If needed they can be well mannered or massively violent! Interesting on the DSP 88A- like to here your thoughts when you get it going. Being able to adjust your curves without disabling room correction is interesting….

I have a Marantz 8801 that sounds great with Audessey XT32, but with the 215's i'd like to dial up the mid bass although the Seatons seamlessly blend in and easily can handle anything less than 100hz. I kind of have mixed thoughts on it. Speakers dialed in as small and crossed at 80 just sounds nice.

Don't have a mic or REW yet, but will eventually get to it.
post #10002 of 10009 Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post
The 3000 is a clone of the SubM with 1700 wpc vs 2400wpc so It should compete within a few dbs.

3600 is a ported subwoofer similar to the JTR Captivator in performance but having two front firing 18" drivers.
To make more even comparisons, the "1700W" amplifier uses 2 700W ICEpower modules. ICEpower notes on their own spec sheet they can deliver 800W into a 4 Ohm load if you loosen the limits to 10%THD. The 700W deliver is at less than 1%. These are solid performers, but if you want to compare power measured by the same metric, I would compare the 3000i & 3600i's amplifier as 1400W vs the 2400W & 4000W SpeakerPower amplifiers. If these weren't clearly benchmarked by SpeakerPower, I suspect plenty would be claiming much higher power levels.

In the end the realized performance boils down to how you use the power, how well behaved the system is and how useful the output remains as you tickle the limits or push further into them.

While many get caught up in big woofers, box size always plays a large role in low frequency output capability. Box size ultimately determines how much power is needed to realize the potential of the selected driver. Optimization of the driver parameters allows us to both better match the power delivery of the amplifier and to affect the efficiency vs frequency.

The V3600i looks to be a well though out subwoofer providing serious output capability for the dollar. Any ported design faces limitations in extension vs output where the tuning sets a lower frequency practical operating limits. In terms of SPL per dollar, at more than double the physical size, the V3600i should get louder above its tuning frequency. If you are interested in a ported design I would also consider the Captivator 1400 if you have any concerns of height & size of the subwoofer.

The SubMersive holds more attraction when you have any practical limitations on available space and have interest in the lowest octave extension. Even with a good deal of space available, you can pack quite a few SubMersives in most rooms where the price per unit of the HP+ & HP-Slave pair are competitive when looking you start looking at multiples. Many also find value in the fit, finish and design details of our products (even the little details like the magnetically retained grills). A long history of great sound quality in users homes is not by accident, and most customers are able to realize extension into the 8-12Hz range without worry of damaging the subwoofer from excessive levels or surprising soundtracks (like Edge of Tomorrow).

While not having any direct effect on the sound, the SubMersive is fully build in the US with only a very few raw materials coming from Asia, such as some magnets and the cast basket for the woofers designed and built in Eminence, Kentucky. The larger 4000W & 6000W amplifiers are fully built in the US with the circuit boards starting life here in IL with stuffing and final assembly done in California by our OEM SpeakerPower. The ICEpower amplifier modules, which we also use in our full range active speakers, come from B&O's build house in China but the DSP along with the remaining metalwork and parts are sourced and assembled in the US. I have been testing various iterations of these amplifiers for a while and they present a very good value with solid performance as each module easily delivers 70-80% of the performance we had in the 1000W ICEpower modules used in the original SubMersive, but at less than 70% the cost.

No question there are many more great subwoofer offerings available to enthusiasts today vs. 5-10 years ago. The various offerings will be attractive to different people for different reasons. Each designer and builder has a level of refinement they feel comfortable in shipping for the value they offer. I recommend each enthusiast look at what the priorities are for each designer and how well they feel those priorities align with their own and how well each product executes those priorities. We all have slightly different tastes and preferences, so it's silly to think everyone would choose the exact same solution. When I make the decisions of what goes into a product I think very much about what I would find pride in owning for 5 or more years rather than the few $ I might save in skimming over the finer details.
Skrill, Stereodude, LRS3 and 17 others like this.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #10003 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have to admit every time that Mark Seaton makes a post it's like reading a little bit into his way of reasoning, which makes me want his products just a little bit more. Also find it a little bit funny that when he speaks the thread basically shuts down because no one knows how to follow up
Skrill, Stereodude and atabea like this.
post #10004 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
I have to admit every time that Mark Seaton makes a post it's like reading a little bit into his way of reasoning, which makes me want his products just a little bit more. Also find it a little bit funny that when he speaks the thread basically shuts down because no one knows how to follow up
I tend to agree. Mark's products are amazing ... as all owners know.

Looking forward to hearing more about the SubM XL.
post #10005 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magibeg View Post
Thanks. Although I hate when the discussion stops like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
I tend to agree. Mark's products are amazing ... as all owners know.

Looking forward to hearing more about the SubM XL.
There's quite a bit more info on the first step with the SubMersive F18 here on our forum with the set of photos also on our fb page. The 23.5" x 23.5" x 17.5" F18 should be a nice addition, and I am rather fond of how the package came out. The first pre-production units are utility black, but after some polishing of the fit and tolerances in the first run, we'll be planning to veneer the 4 sides and rear of the enclosure as well while keeping the 1 1/8" thick, beveled, black cover panel. Here are a few of the cooler pics from the first pre-production install that also included the 6 Spark XC1's we showed at Axpona 2015:

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #10006 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Ridiculous....and absolutely awesome in every way.

I'm so damn envious. Lol. Maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to work with you on setting up something similar.
DRC3 likes this.

Last edited by zdoggz; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.
post #10007 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Thanks. Although I hate when the discussion stops like that.

There's quite a bit more info on the first step with the SubMersive F18 here on our forum with the set of photos also on our fb page. The 23.5" x 23.5" x 17.5" F18 should be a nice addition, and I am rather fond of how the package came out. The first pre-production units are utility black, but after some polishing of the fit and tolerances in the first run, we'll be planning to veneer the 4 sides and rear of the enclosure as well while keeping the 1 1/8" thick, beveled, black cover panel. Here are a few of the cooler pics from the first pre-production install that also included the 6 Spark XC1's we showed at Axpona 2015:
I love it -- and love the blue wash light. I am checking back with your main forum often. Keep it up.

For now -- my SubM master/slave setup keeps the smile on my face.

post #10008 of 10009 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I love it -- and love the blue wash light. I am checking back with your main forum often. Keep it up.

Your speakers look so small compared to everything else, maybe you need some Cat12's to fix that
post #10009 of 10009 Old Today, 04:17 AM

Quote:

Your set up looks nice…I know those subs pound that room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page