Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 208Likes
post #10081 of 10084 Old Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
With the 4x #11 wire we use for the slave cables we sell and make in house, you have to get into a rather long length before there is any measurable difference.
You put two 11ga conductors in parallel for the + and -? That's equivalent to 8ga I think.

I was only thinking to use a 2 conductor 12ga SOOW for my slave sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10084 Old Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You put two 11ga conductors in parallel for the + and -? That's equivalent to 8ga I think.

I was only thinking to use a 2 conductor 12ga SOOW for my slave sub.
Correct, that's comparable to a pair of 8AWG wires, but the 4x cables are more common, and the jacket is more round and terminates more easily. Since the internally powered sub only has ~2' of wire, it's good measure and allows longer runs. The 4x12 in-wall wiring has a much thinner jacket if the diameter of the wire is a problem for any reason or if you need a white or grey jacket.

All 4 pins of the SpeakON are connected with +1/+2 in parallel along with -1/-2, so just use 4x 12AWG. While for 70% of the range it doesn't matter much, remember the lower the minimum impedance, the more the wire size can matter. For the small cost difference going to heavier copper, it's silly to waste power in a speaker cable.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #10083 of 10084 Unread Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1747 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Correct, that's comparable to a pair of 8AWG wires, but the 4x cables are more common, and the jacket is more round and terminates more easily. Since the internally powered sub only has ~2' of wire, it's good measure and allows longer runs. The 4x12 in-wall wiring has a much thinner jacket if the diameter of the wire is a problem for any reason or if you need a white or grey jacket.

All 4 pins of the SpeakON are connected with +1/+2 in parallel along with -1/-2, so just use 4x 12AWG. While for 70% of the range it doesn't matter much, remember the lower the minimum impedance, the more the wire size can matter. For the small cost difference going to heavier copper, it's silly to waste power in a speaker cable.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize the SpeakON on the SP1-4000 had all 4 terminals connected. I figured it would require paralleling up the conductors in the connectors. That certainly makes things easier. I did notice the warning about using class 1 wiring. I didn't find any class 1 speaker wire. Hence my looking to SOOW or SJOOW. FWIW, I'm not sure how far apart my two subs will end up. It might only be a few feet.

Last edited by Stereodude; Today at 02:10 PM.
post #10084 of 10084 Unread Today, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
That's pretty close correlation between measurements considering you have both subs running in-room an acoustically small room vs. the bass wavelengths involved.

You can see the main low pass or LFE channel low pass in the measurement and still see a bump or 2 in the 9-16Hz range vs the outdoor response.

The + and slave units do perform identically as they receive the identical signal. With the 4x #11 wire we use for the slave cables we sell and make in house, you have to get into a rather long length before there is any measurable difference. Remember the + & slave unit function just like you connected 2 subs off the same binding posts on an amplifier.
Mark, I had you make a 16' cable, and in reality, 7-8' is all I need. When you are talking about long length before measurable difference, is 16' "long" or is there no difference between 8' and 16'? I was wondering if I should shorten it to the minimum required or just coil up and leave the extra?

I'll never use it in a different location that requires more length, since this is behind a 10.5' screen in an Erskine theater, but Adam Pelz the calibrator wants the levels on each sub as close as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page