Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 337 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 207Likes
post #10081 of 10082 Unread Today, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
With the 4x #11 wire we use for the slave cables we sell and make in house, you have to get into a rather long length before there is any measurable difference.
You put two 11ga conductors in parallel for the + and -? That's equivalent to 8ga I think.

I was only thinking to use a 2 conductor 12ga SOOW for my slave sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10082 Unread Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
You put two 11ga conductors in parallel for the + and -? That's equivalent to 8ga I think.

I was only thinking to use a 2 conductor 12ga SOOW for my slave sub.
Correct, that's comparable to a pair of 8AWG wires, but the 4x cables are more common, and the jacket is more round and terminates more easily. Since the internally powered sub only has ~2' of wire, it's good measure and allows longer runs. The 4x12 in-wall wiring has a much thinner jacket if the diameter of the wire is a problem for any reason or if you need a white or grey jacket.

All 4 pins of the SpeakON are connected with +1/+2 in parallel along with -1/-2, so just use 4x 12AWG. While for 70% of the range it doesn't matter much, remember the lower the minimum impedance, the more the wire size can matter. For the small cost difference going to heavier copper, it's silly to waste power in a speaker cable.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator