Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 396Likes
post #10291 of 10297 Old 02-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Pontifus Maximus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I just received three of these and they look awesome, packaged well, no complaints. I'll be going through the tedium of setting up, REW, time aligning, Dirac Live, etc. this Saturday.

Here's the deal though. I have L Shaped room.

Two Masters and one slave.

Right now I have one HSU sub by TV that you cant see in the picture. But you can imagine where it's at. Its directly across from MLP which is left side of couch in picture.

Then second hsu sub is all the way on the back right corner of room as you are looking at picture, where there is book case.

There are no dips, everything is great. (after rew). So two subs are working great.

My idea was to add third sub directly behind MLP (which again is on left side of couch as you are looking at picture). So that's why I updgraded to these.

But since I have to run master/slave combo on that back wall: The nearfield sub behind MLP -and the one about 10 feet away in back corner - they will on same DELAY. ** Do you think this will cause problems?? Nearfield sub sound will get to me quicker than the one that is 10 feet away... you can't have separate delays on master/slave.

Question simplified - how screwy will it be to have a master/slave where one is nearfield and one is 10+ feet away? Keeping in mind they both have to be on exact same delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10297 Old 02-10-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
Question simplified - how screwy will it be to have a master/slave where one is nearfield and one is 10+ feet away? Keeping in mind they both have to be on exact same delay.
I believe Mark has commented on this in the past as I'm dealing with a similar issue in my room. Sometimes, time-aligning subs works perfectly and other times not. The only way to know for sure is to measure with REW or some other similar means. Just because subs are equidistant from MLP doesn't mean an individual delay couldn't improve the response. Likewise, just because they're not equidistant doesn't mean they need separate delays.

I just went through an exercise in my room where XT32 set my larger 18" subs upfront to 14.7' and a 12" sub directly behind MLP to 5.5'. Guess which FR looked best when I measured the combined response...ironically, the one with no delay between them and guess which looked the worst...well, see for yourself:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub delay.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	1244225  
k1n3t1k likes this.

Last edited by jkasanic; 02-10-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #10293 of 10297 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seaton F2 or F18

I have a large multi use room (15' ceilings, 30 by 40). Currently using SVS PB 13.

Wondering if an upgrade to Seatons would be worthwhile? What would be the differing between the F2 master slave, and the F18 master slave? I could even go with 2 F18's on each side at the front of the room, if their would be a noticeable increase in quality base.
post #10294 of 10297 Unread Today, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I just received three of these and they look awesome, packaged well, no complaints. I'll be going through the tedium of setting up, REW, time aligning, Dirac Live, etc. this Saturday.

Here's the deal though. I have L Shaped room.

Two Masters and one slave.

Right now I have one HSU sub by TV that you cant see in the picture. But you can imagine where it's at. Its directly across from MLP which is left side of couch in picture.

Then second hsu sub is all the way on the back right corner of room as you are looking at picture, where there is book case.

There are no dips, everything is great. (after rew). So two subs are working great.

My idea was to add third sub directly behind MLP (which again is on left side of couch as you are looking at picture). So that's why I updgraded to these.

But since I have to run master/slave combo on that back wall: The nearfield sub behind MLP -and the one about 10 feet away in back corner - they will on same DELAY. ** Do you think this will cause problems?? Nearfield sub sound will get to me quicker than the one that is 10 feet away... you can't have separate delays on master/slave.

I had my master slave set up in a similar fashion for a bit, and it sounded good but i could definitely tell they didnt quite blend as well due to the varying difference in delay. Since sound travels roughly 1100ft/sec, you would ideally want about a 10ms delay on the sub if it is 10ft closer than your second sub; however, you cannot really set a separate delay between a master & slave...only between two powered/master subs. All you can do is test it out and see how it sounds to you, and try to get them as close to equidistant as possible. Would be nice to have the ability to set a delay between a master and its slave though.
post #10295 of 10297 Unread Today, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusker2 View Post
I have a large multi use room (15' ceilings, 30 by 40). Currently using SVS PB 13.

Wondering if an upgrade to Seatons would be worthwhile? What would be the differing between the F2 master slave, and the F18 master slave? I could even go with 2 F18's on each side at the front of the room, if their would be a noticeable increase in quality base.
From what i understand, the HP/F2 are more capable than the F18 above 35hz, and the F18 has slightly less distortion than the HP/F2 below 25hz (relatively). I dont believe the F18 digs any deeper than the HP/F2, its main benefit is the fact that it can power 3 slave units off one master unit (HP/F2 powers 1 slave unit off that amp due to the dual 15 woofers vs single 18).

I havent heard the SVSPB13, but people have claimed that they noticed a nice improvement going from the PB13 to the submersive.
jjackkrash likes this.
post #10296 of 10297 Unread Today, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by audnutz View Post
From what i understand, the HP/F2 are more capable than the F18 above 35hz, and the F18 has slightly less distortion than the HP/F2 below 25hz (relatively). I dont believe the F18 digs any deeper than the HP/F2, its main benefit is the fact that it can power 3 slave units off one master unit (HP/F2 powers 1 slave unit off that amp due to the dual 15 woofers vs single 18).

I havent heard the SVSPB13, but people have claimed that they noticed a nice improvement going from the PB13 to the submersive.
There is no comparison between the two. Subversive destroys it in sq and output. I have a Pb 13 ultra that has been sitting dormant for the past year and a half since getting my submersive. The submersive is so good that I got another and now have two. Do not get me wrong, the Svs is also a killer sub, just not in the same league.
post #10297 of 10297 Unread Today, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input. I didnt want to make that statement w/o actually having heard the PB13 ultra. Im glad to hear you've had firsthand experience with them both. I too have a master and slave HP. Thinking about adding 2 more but not sure what direction is best for me to go in (HP/F2/F18)....most likely is a very common question people will have. I most likely will be either going with the HP or F2 option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page