Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 346 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 515Likes

Old 06-03-2016, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post
Great, keep posting the progress and thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Wow Mark, thanks to you and the theater owner for sharing the video and pics. This looks amazing. I look forward to seeing the revised efforts with your speakers and subs as well as the bigger screen! This has to be one of the best theaters I have seen on these forums!
Speaker and subwoofer cavities are fabricated and fit, and no, I'm not a midget, that's an 8.5 foot tall subwoofer cavity!

Columns and side walls have been opened up to allow thick acoustic treatment and more space behind for more effective midbass and low frequency control in the room. Behind the wall electric has been stripped back and the dedicated 20A circuits relocated for the Catalyst 12Cs being installed with separate power for LED speaker lighting and 3 new, overhead service lights behind the wall. Many thanks again to the team at Accurate Construction for the careful work in transforming the aesthetic design from Jamie Pauls of F1 Audio.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 38
As matter of interest will there be any CEA2010 measurements of these subwoofers?

Would like to see how they compare against the other ID companies like SVS and PSA?
Old 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan Mire View Post
As matter of interest will there be any CEA2010 measurements of these subwoofers?

Would like to see how they compare against the other ID companies like SVS and PSA?
We have done some initial experimentation with a CEA 2010 test setup, but we still need to sort a few more software/hardware details and then do some correlation of measurements by others before I'll post anything. We may at get some to Josh Ricci, but his schedule is very busy. We recently ran through SubMersive drivers and are awaiting the next batch of F18 drivers which should be available to ship by mid July.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Old 06-04-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Anything new on the F18i+?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Thanks for the response Mark- so that brings to mind a question regarding positioning of subs. I've read the Harmon Papers, but this is more for the extreme bassheads, like those on this page.

Given how acoustic energy is dispersed, and bass having long wavelengths, does it help to have multiple point source subwoofers vs. stacks? I know that with multiple locations you tend to eliminate nulls and voids, but as a general rule is it better to have point source subs spread around?

Also, if stacking subs, what benefit is had over spreading subs out? Unless you have the subs close to the ceiling and will be realizing boundary gain, what benefit other than aesthetics, does this configuration provide?

Obviously, I'm moving in this direction in my own space so interested to hear your "real world" take on it.
DRC3 - did you end up talking to mark about this? I'd imagine the stack is done for aesthetic/space reasons rather than a sonic benefit over having them spread around, but am still interested in others' responses.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdoggz View Post
DRC3 - did you end up talking to mark about this? I'd imagine the stack is done for aesthetic/space reasons rather than a sonic benefit over having them spread around, but am still interested in others' responses.
Nah- I think he's been busy on the remodel. My unscientific conventional thinking has me believing that configurations around subs collocated is an increase in overall output, while separating subs may (or may not) help with room modes and frequency response. On top of everything else, aesthetics play a role too....stacks of subs looks cool.
jjackkrash likes this.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I also think an eight foot stack would be impressive, I also think a few SubMs scattered around the room would be needed to help with the Room Modes

He needs more help (He is really taking a beating over on the other AVS Seaton Sound thread)
DRC3 likes this.

--Carl
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
DUAL SUB PLACEMENT QUESTION

I want to place my Seaton HP+ and its slave on either side of my TV (about 6' apart). The subs will be placed so I can hide the amp/connections against the wall. Will there be any problems with this setup since one sub's woofer will be directed straight into the other woofer? (Though separated by the TV?) Thx

Last edited by RickMo; 06-20-2016 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMo View Post
DUAL SUB PLACEMENT QUESTION

I want to place my Seaton HP+ and its slave on either side of my TV (about 6' apart). The subs will be placed so I can hide the amp/connections against the wall. Will there be any problems with this setup since one sub's woofer will be directed straight into the other woofer? (Though separated by the TV?) Thx
Shouldn't be an issue. I have had my master and slave drivers facing each other with only 2' separating them and it was fine.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
Shouldn't be an issue. I have had my master and slave drivers facing each other with only 2' separating them and it was fine.
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Referring to the SubMersive HP here; is it OK to have a master/powered SubMersive HP and a connected passive/slave HP right next to each other in a straight line? One of the slave's drivers will be firing right into one of the master's drivers. Would this be OK even if they are only inches apart?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Mark, if I was you I would be checking your Seaton Sound Speaker thread...... As there is a owner "Macca 350" who has been waiting over a year to get his Catalyst/Spark amps back from repair.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2016, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Referring to the SubMersive HP here; is it OK to have a master/powered SubMersive HP and a connected passive/slave HP right next to each other in a straight line? One of the slave's drivers will be firing right into one of the master's drivers. Would this be OK even if they are only inches apart?
I've seen Mark place Submersives behind an AT screen and firing toward each other as close as 6 inches or so with no problem. As long as they are "in phase" and the cone/surround doesn't touch during high excursion, I don't think it would be an issue. I know they are super heavy, but you could always try it and see. If you have any measurement gear that would provide the confirmation you need. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2016, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post
Mark, if I was you I would be checking your Seaton Sound Speaker thread...... As there is a owner "Macca 350" who has been waiting over a year to get his Catalyst/Spark amps back from repair.

Hi Mark,

We're now 1 year and 10 months since I first raised this issue with you and just shy of 1 year since I sent you the amps.

I'm tired if hearing promises, just send them back please.

Cheers
buddhamus likes this.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACCA350 View Post
Hi Mark,

We're now 1 year and 10 months since I first raised this issue with you and just shy of 1 year since I sent you the amps.

I'm tired if hearing promises, just send them back please.

Cheers
Still not sent???? even after he said he was going to them to you that day???.... This is almost sounding just as bad as the Reaction Audio thread.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Why were they sent back in the first place?

--Carl
Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post
Why were they sent back in the first place?

Faulty.

1x catalyst developed a, what I'd call "resetting" fault where it mutes itself for a second and then pops as it comes back on.

1 spark was unused since new. A few years later I decided to set it up in a 2 channel system. Power on and it was DOA, no sound just the lights would cycle on/off every 4 seconds.

It took 3 months to get an initial response from Mark. 10 months get shipping information. We are now at 1 year and 10 months since I raised the issue and I still don't have them back.

Cheers
Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Finally looks like these will be on the move. Just received Fedex tracking info stating Mark sent shipping info to Fedex half an hour after I posted in this thread.

Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I really wish I didn't have to resort to posting in here to get this sorted. But I'm looking forward to having both systems up and running at full capacity.

Cheers
buddhamus likes this.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Hello,
I don't know what went wrong here, but Mark has always been more than straight up with me.
I purchased the two SubMs from the person that started this thread. (He was moving to China, I believe)

When I received them, I noticed the grill cloth was sagging and I called Mark to ask his advice on what glue I should get to make repairs? (Note: I did not directly make the purchase from Mark!)
He said that I should send the grills to him and he would take care of them. (These SubMs were early production and he was making the grills differently now) I shipped the grills to him and they
were on their way back to me two days after he received them. All the cost to me was the shipping to Mark. I call that above and beyond service!

This led to my purchase of three Cat12Cs & later the upgrade of the SubMs to the more powerful amps.

When I can justify the purchase, I will buy more of Mark's products.
DRC3 and NextLevel217 like this.

--Carl

Last edited by calentz; 07-21-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I have been playing with my F18s over the weekend as part of my new system. They work and work well. I have not spent the time these beasts deserve to sound their best but I could not be happier with their performance. So far, the F18+ integrate very well with my Alcons speakers, having no issues keeping up (the Alcons would probably give ground before the subs). Thank you Mark for the solid products and years of exceptional performance I surely will receive over the upcoming years.
Old Today, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post
I have been playing with my F18s over the weekend as part of my new system. They work and work well. I have not spent the time these beasts deserve to sound their best but I could not be happier with their performance. So far, the F18+ integrate very well with my Alcons speakers, having no issues keeping up (the Alcons would probably give ground before the subs). Thank you Mark for the solid products and years of exceptional performance I surely will receive over the upcoming years.
Thank you very much thxman for the initial impressions. I look forward to hearing more as you have time to spend some more time with that awesome Trinnov and blending the subs.

Fortunately we will at long last have many more F18s headed out to customers over the next 2-3 weeks as more parts arrive. By the end of August we should have F18s in stock in both our black maple and rosenut finishes.

I already have one customer adding 6 more for a massive 12 F18s in one room, and I'm still waiting to see who will be the first to install 4 of our 8' tall F18 stacks or spread them out in some other manner for a total of 16 subs.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator