Seaton Sound SubMersive1 - Page 355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 731Likes

post #10621 of 10622 Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Good to catch up this morning buddhamus after the holiday weekend. I often monitor e-mails over the weekend, but was away from the office/computers (packing/moving family). In your fully isolated and very quiet theater, I'm sure any noise is more obvious, especially when compared to fully powered off.

For those reading along, note this is an issue with the higher Voltage operation 6000W amplifier, not our 120V 4000W amplifier used for all of our North American customers. The even higher Voltages and power potential of the 6000W amplifier and the more complex power supply gives more opportunity for hum/buzz to leak from the big power components to the small signal components from so much as wiring being routed differently. We're doing some further testing on the 6000W model here and with SpeakerPower to see if something changed unexpectedly from previously shipped units and how we can further reduce any residual hum that might be present.

Roger, thank you for jumping in to help step through some common issues. Since the noise is present with no connection other than the power cord, it is certainly internally generated.
Thanks a lot for the chat, Mark!.

Apart from the Hum/buzzing issue, I am extremely happy with the upgrade would be an understatement!. It has definetly taken my Submersives to another level!.......Just the low end bass is just so effortless and now it can sustain certain burst scenes aka Intro opening scene to Max Max - Fury Road.......certain bass notes in the intro i could hear my old 1000w submersive almost change their sound signature under reference volume....................but with these new amps..........they just cruise along and it just sounds so freaking clean at reference!................The scene in Star Wars - Force Awakens where Rey gets interogated by Kylo Ren.............this scene never used to pressurise the room as much...........but the new amps make this scene go spastic in my room!...................I get a drowing type feeling! LOL

A part from the slight hum/buzz sound.........when a movie is playing you dont notice it at all.......but once everything turns on the first time it is obvious unfortunately. If there is a way to lower this sound.................I would be over the moon!. Going from a system which was almost dead silent to this does make my OCD kick in........so hopefully there will be a fix for this

Thanks again for your help Mark!..............the upgrade was everything you said and more!

Cheers,
Kevin
Mark Seaton, dupt00 and Pradeep2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10622 of 10622 Old 09-05-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post
Roger, thank you for jumping in to help step through some common issues. Since the noise is present with no connection other than the power cord, it is certainly internally generated.
Hi Mark,

An unterminated amp is a bit of a wild card. If there's hum it may simply be that it is picking up the stray AC field. One way to confirm is to short the input, or in this case, turn down the input gain to zero. That will eliminate the possibility that "floating inputs" are to blame (as was eliminated in this case). This problem can also occur when a properly "terminated" amp is left running with the preamp turned off, as the otherwise low active output impedance can become a high impedance once the preamp stages are shut down. I believe this is what Speakerpower is implying when they say, "Some systems will have noise if the preamp/receiver is turned off but the amps are left on." Their list of possible countermeasures gives me the feeling they have encountered hum problems more than once.

Current: Deadwood II Theater
Previous: Deadwood Atmos theater [HTOM]
SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4, MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, KEF Ci200QS surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve 115"W x 49"H 2.35 screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Seaton Sound , Velodyne Dd 15 Digital Drive Subwoofer 15 Inch Gloss Black , Velodyne , Speaker Systems , New Pac Sni 1 Ground Loop Signal Isolator

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page