Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post

Hey RMK, so if someone walked into your home, took your F113s and replaced them with F112s, how long would it take you to notice the difference?

The first thing I did after reading your post was to make sure the F113's were still there Now that I am reassured ... It's hard to say but my guess is that the difference would be subtle and I'm not sure I'd notice.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

The first thing I did after reading your post was to make sure the F113's were still there

LOL!!!

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Hi all unfortunatley due to shipping problems in America(The weather) I was told, there is going to be a much longer wait for the pair of 113's. So I decided to get a pair of 112's. Is there a major difference betwen the two or will the pair of 112's will be satisfactory for my room. The room size is 4m x 5m.
Thankyou

Frank
Old 09-16-2008, 12:55 AM
CIH USER

no one... anyone..? Just want to get an idea

Frank
Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Frank - from everything that I have read on the f112 (I have an f113) then 2 would be fantastic in your room - Manville from JL Audio has 2 f112s in his system and I think that should give you confidence in your decision.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenbr View Post

Frank - from everything that I have read on the f112 (I have an f113) then 2 would be fantastic in your room - Manville from JL Audio has 2 f112s in his system and I think that should give you confidence in your decision.

Thanks mate, I was a bit worried. Certainly gives me great confidence in my decision, very much appreciated.

Frank
Old 09-16-2008, 01:42 PM

Frank - I'm running two F112's in my system with Revel speakers and am VERY happy. It's a fairly large room also with openings to adjacent spaces. I previously used one Velodyne DD-15. A single F112 has comparable output to the DD-15. I'm really enjoying the stereo subs on music, and the JL's integrate beautifully with my Revels. I opted for the 112's over the 113's due to their smaller size and the placement flexibility it afforded me. I am confident you'll be very pleased with your pair of F112's!

Tom
Old 09-16-2008, 05:31 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Blake View Post

Frank - I'm running two F112's in my system with Revel speakers and am VERY happy. It's a fairly large room also with openings to adjacent spaces. I previously used one Velodyne DD-15. A single F112 has comparable output to the DD-15. I'm really enjoying the stereo subs on music, and the JL's integrate beautifully with my Revels. I opted for the 112's over the 113's due to their smaller size and the placement flexibility it afforded me. I am confident you'll be very pleased with your pair of F112's!

Tom

thankyou Tom its exactly what I wanted to hear. You've just made my day.

Frank
Old 09-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

thankyou Tom its exactly what I wanted to hear. You've just made my day.

Sorry Frank, I haven't been around for a little while.

I've replied to your PM, but anyway, yes I've got two F112's. Room is almost complete, with just carpet to go. After that I finally get to put them in place and enjoy. With the size of your room, I think you'll be stoked when it all set up and running.

Cheers,

Chui
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I haven't heard the other DD subs but I can say that in by brief expierence with them, the F112 and F113 are very close performance wise. If I were to venture a guess, I'd say the DD15 would be comparable to the F112.

That is good to know.

Frank
Old 09-19-2008, 07:55 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post

Sorry Frank, I haven't been around for a little while.

I've replied to your PM, but anyway, yes I've got two F112's. Room is almost complete, with just carpet to go. After that I finally get to put them in place and enjoy. With the size of your room, I think you'll be stoked when it all set up and running.

Cheers,

Chui

Chui from the last Pm I got from you the f112 are know back in the game again.Long story, but excited I will be getting my F112 by tuesday next week.

Frank
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Someone just picked up an F112 for around $1600 on Ebay. Not bad. I almost bidded above but that's getting into used F113 territory. Anyone else know where to find a used F112?
Old 09-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
audiogon
Old 09-19-2008, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaaf View Post

audiogon

Seems like they go fast on Audiogon and Videogon. There was one (F112) on Ebay that appeared to be a scam. The seller sent me an odd email with a combination of very bad english and a "buy it now outside of Ebay" scheme. I may just have to be obsessive and look a few times a day until I find one from a reputable seller.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

Someone just picked up an F112 for around $1600 on Ebay. Not bad. I almost bidded above but that's getting into used F113 territory. Anyone else know where to find a used F112?

I just purchased a factory sealed F112 on Audiogon yesterday for $1625.
Seller had it listed for $1700 obo.
I was lucky enough to catch it the first day of posting and thought it was too good to pass up. Can't wait to get it!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I emailed him but it was gone (along witha n F113). They were listed on both Audiogon and Videogon. $1625 is a steal. I was considering a PB13 but the F112 and F113 are a bit more appealing to me.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

I think I emailed him but it was gone (along witha n F113). They were listed on both Audiogon and Videogon. $1625 is a steal. I was considering a PB13 but the F112 and F113 are a bit more appealing to me.

That was a damn good price, lucky for the person who purchased them.

Frank
Old 09-20-2008, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The seller had no history though. I wouldn't buy something that expensive if the seller has no previous transactions.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I am so off of eBay. The last straw (there have been several disturbing incidents) was last week for an SMS-1. I won the auction and received an email from the seller (supposedly) requesting that I contact them as they had to “change their PayPal account” and as the new one would not be available for ten days and they would have an alternate account I could use to pay. Of course I was suspicious and I sent the email to EBay asking what to do. I received a stupid form response saying that the sellers are allowed to request any method of payment as long as it is specified in the auction. Essentially, they told me to go ahead not even checking the validity of the source email.

I then emailed the actual seller (I think) and asked him how to proceed with the purchase based upon his email to me. Two days later, he responded and said he had not sent me an email (big surprise) and asked for a copy of the one I received purportedly from him. I did this but I also backed out of this messed up transaction (I assume the seller is OK with this although he did not respond).

EBay is ripe with criminal activity and while purchasing commodities may be OK, buying something like high end AV equipment from private sellers is very risky. I have never had a real problem with Audiogon although I heard others have.

BTW, I purchased an SMS-1 advertised on AVS and will have it next week. I will have two SMS-1's for EQing my quad Fathoms. One of the main reasons I purchased another SMS-1 is so that I can auto power off the rear (near field) F113's when listening to music. This will also give me some flexibility in setting the front F112's (stereo or mono) as well as the afore mentioned EQ flexibility.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Old 09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
CIH USER

Quote:

I am so off of eBay. The last straw (there have been several disturbing incidents) was last week for an SMS-1. I won the auction and received an email from the seller (supposedly) requesting that I contact them as they had to change their PayPal account and as the new one would not be available for ten days and they would have an alternate account I could use to pay. Of course I was suspicious and I sent the email to EBay asking what to do. I received a stupid form response saying that the sellers are allowed to request any method of payment as long as it is specified in the auction. Essentially, they told me to go ahead not even checking the validity of the source email.

I then emailed the actual seller (I think) and asked him how to proceed with the purchase based upon his email to me. Two days later, he responded and said he had not sent me an email (big surprise) and asked for a copy of the one I received purportedly from him. I did this but I also backed out of this messed up transaction (I assume the seller is OK with this although he did not respond).

EBay is ripe with criminal activity and while purchasing commodities may be OK, buying something like high end AV equipment from private sellers is very risky. I have never had a real problem with Audiogon although I heard others have.

BTW, I purchased an SMS-1 advertised on AVS and will have it next week. I will have two SMS-1's for EQing my quad Fathoms. One of the main reasons I purchased another SMS-1 is so that I can auto power off the rear (near field) F113's when listening to music. This will also give me some flexibility in setting the front F112's (stereo or mono) as well as the afore mentioned EQ flexibility.

I've never really bought from Ebay. For us guys (In Australia) it's cheaper to buy goods brand new in America than over here. Just as example a Philips Pronto costs $2500, were you guys are theryre $899.

Frank
Old 09-24-2008, 06:52 AM
CIH USER

Hopefully all good should be picking my two tomorrow

Frank
Old 09-24-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Hopefully all good should be picking my two tomorrow

Great stuff Frank,

My two should be operational by Saturday evening. No doubt we'll compare notes soon after
Old 09-24-2008, 11:18 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chui View Post

Great stuff Frank,

My two should be operational by Saturday evening. No doubt we'll compare notes soon after

Definitley will. just got home mate and have to say unbelievable packaging.You get gloves,a cover for the Subs good stuff JL. Glad I bought a mate though.

Frank
Old 09-25-2008, 02:14 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdche View Post

I didn't say it wasn't a good subwoofer, I just wouldn't buy it.

So.. if your not going to buy it, why post here? There is always one!

Frank
Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I just received my F112 yesterday that I purchased from Audiogon.
It was brand new and factory sealed as advertised. Man was that box heavy!
I guess I don't have a warranty but for $1625 I can live without it. What a fantastic subwoofer!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
CIH USER

Finally got it all setup and have to say unbelievable. I thought my focal subs were great but these Sub just destroy them. I do have( a few questions though, my ARO shows pretty high Volume on both. When I re-ran Audyssey after doing the ARO bot both I got -12db on Audyssey. I also got pretty high decibels on 2 spl meter that I have(one analog the other digital) are 85db-90db. Why is that? I just want to make sure everything is good.

Have to say though tested some movies last night and its the best they have sounded. For instance Transfomers BD version know it has an increase in Bass but I found the Bass to perfect. You know when there walking(Transformers) it seems right.

Frank
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Finally got it all setup and have to say unbelievable. I thought my focal subs were great but these Sub just destroy them. I do have( a few questions though, my ARO shows pretty high Volume on both. When I re-ran Audyssey after doing the ARO bot both I got -12db on Audyssey. I also got pretty high decibels on 2 spl meter that I have(one analog the other digital) are 85db-90db. Why is that? I just want to make sure everything is good.

Have to say though tested some movies last night and its the best they have sounded. For instance Transfomers BD version know it has an increase in Bass but I found the Bass to perfect. You know when there walking(Transformers) it seems right.

Hey Frank,

Absolutely fantastic to hear you got your Fathom F112's. The setup procedure in the manual is pretty good from what I've read of it so perhaps you'll find something in there to address your high dB? I dare say you'll have to recalibrate which I'm sure you will!

My F113 is still sitting near my Computer Desk where I look longingly at it from time to time. I am progressing though because the house is now completely painted, the Kitchen has been gutted and replaced so now I can start making plans for getting the rest of the HT together.

At least the JVC 750 has made the wait for a Projector worthwhile (Tell me you're getting one Frank! )

Well done again mate - let us know how you go after you have it all sorted in regards to positioning, settings etc

Cheers

Blade
Old 09-26-2008, 04:30 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRnR View Post

Hey Frank,

Absolutely fantastic to hear you got your Fathom F112's. The setup procedure in the manual is pretty good from what I've read of it so perhaps you'll find something in there to address your high dB? I dare say you'll have to recalibrate which I'm sure you will!

My F113 is still sitting near my Computer Desk where I look longingly at it from time to time. I am progressing though because the house is now completely painted, the Kitchen has been gutted and replaced so now I can start making plans for getting the rest of the HT together.

At least the JVC 750 has made the wait for a Projector worthwhile (Tell me you're getting one Frank! )

Well done again mate - let us know how you go after you have it all sorted in regards to positioning, settings etc

Cheers

Blade

Thanks Blade,
yeah one of the guys on the AVP told me on how to match level match them which is fantastic. Will keep you post though as your getting one I will let you know how it goes.

The JVC 750, I saw that, lucky I did not get the HD100.

Frank
Old 09-26-2008, 10:01 AM
CIH USER

Just curious on how many of you guys got your Fathoms at +3db/-3db or as close to 0db with your Audyssey? I got mine to +0.5db but the master volume is way down low.

Frank
Old 09-29-2008, 08:56 PM
CIH USER

I changed to a balance cable XLR, now I get a hum. Any ideas?

Frank

Tags
Jl Audio Fathom F112 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jl Audio Brand , Jl Audio