post #91 of 424 Old 02-14-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith_JL View Post

Soldonandy...

You may want to reduce the Master Level on the f112 and raise it on your pre-pro in order to drive the auto turn-on circuit with more signal at any given level.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Mr. Smith, a few questions, is there any advantage to bypassing the sub and controlling things through the processor or is it just a matter of preference for convenience? Right now, I turned the db's up on the processor and have the sub set on the variable mode, that way I can dial in the volume during music more easily.

Right now, things are starting to come together a little more, I think my DD12 sounded "good" because I had the thing down so far that it blended with music but didn't deliver the bigtime bass experience with movies. The way I have the fathom currently is that it is hanging in there with music and for movies, I am getting a nice controlled slam. I think I have a bit further to go as far as tweaking so I have a few more questions.....I want to set the cross over on the sub at "80", the dial has a "75" so should I assume "80" is one click over? Also, I am not sure what to do with the phase dial. Lastly, is a break-in period a reality or a myth in your opinion.

Thanks again and I really see alot of potential with this product, looking forward to getting it as good as I can in my arrangement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 424 Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Are there any reviews for this sub? It seems the F113 is getting all the spotlight, but what about the F112.

I want to see technical articles on this sub.

See Profile
post #93 of 424 Old 02-15-2007, 06:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

msmith_JL ... my 112 just arrived today, haven't even got it running yet (my AVR is in the shop). But I was wondering ... do you know where I might acquire a suitable power cord (i.e. one as good as the one that shipped with my new toy) with a right-angle IEC-320 connector? Circumstances force me to locate my sub as close to the wall as possible.

thanks, paul
post #94 of 424 Old 02-15-2007, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
The latest issue of The Perfect Vision has a review of the F112. not exactly a technical numbers type of review but they do seem mightily impressed!!
post #95 of 424 Old 02-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Here's one from last Nov. Again, not too techie but impressive.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...1&print_page=y
post #96 of 424 Old 02-16-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnpcom View Post

msmith_JL ... my 112 just arrived today, haven't even got it running yet (my AVR is in the shop). But I was wondering ... do you know where I might acquire a suitable power cord (i.e. one as good as the one that shipped with my new toy) with a right-angle IEC-320 connector? Circumstances force me to locate my sub as close to the wall as possible.

thanks, paul

You can always cut a couple of holes in the drywall for clearance.

But seriously... keep in mind that your signal cables need to be right angle or "shorty" connector types as well... otherwise they will stand proud of the heat sink fins as well.

I'm not sure where to find one, but the power cord spec you need is a 3-Prong Male to Right Angle IEC Female with 14 AWG conductors (no longer than 6 ft.)

Best regards, and thank you for purchasing a JL Audio subwoofer.

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
post #97 of 424 Old 02-16-2007, 06:52 PM

Just got my f112 today. I decided to get the smaller version because I didn't think I would need the ouput of the f113 given my listening preferences. All I can say is that this sub is fantastic. Plays louder than I will ever need and sound quality is superb. Packaging is great and makes getting the sub out of the box really easy. Thanks JL for delivering in every area.
post #98 of 424 Old 02-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Hey paulnpcom,

About that right angle IEC connecter - look here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/power-cord.html

Seems like the have exactly the spec Manville recommends. I've bought products from these guys before and have been happy with the service and teh goods.

JR
post #99 of 424 Old 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link JR. Good to know a place to buy quality powercords that are not overpriced!

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #100 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post

Hey paulnpcom,

About that right angle IEC connecter - look here: http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/power-cord.html

Seems like the have exactly the spec Manville recommends. I've bought products from these guys before and have been happy with the service and teh goods.

JR

thanks, JR!

it looks like I could use their existing product, though I have written them to see if their high-end cords can be made with right-angle plugs. the cord that came with my 112 is 12awg, so even though JL has said that 14awg suffices, I'm going to try to match the existing (which the afforementioned high-end product does).

paul
post #101 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM

That should be fine, Paul. We use the same cord on the f112 and f113, so we spec it fo the f113's extra current draw. But, a bigger gauge cord is never a bad idea so that should be fine.

One thing I did notice that may be a problem is that most right-angle IEC plugs are oriented so that the wire exits to the left (looking at the amp panel). This might get in the way of the right RCA input if it is being used. If you're doing a mono hookup it won't be a problem.
post #102 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnpcom View Post

thanks, JR!

it looks like I could use their existing product, though I have written them to see if their high-end cords can be made with right-angle plugs. the cord that came with my 112 is 12awg, so even though JL has said that 14awg suffices, I'm going to try to match the existing (which the afforementioned high-end product does).

paul

unfortunately, here is what they had to say:

At the present time we do not offer right angle connectors.

So I will probably go with their awg14 product.

paul
post #103 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 01:39 PM

How about this "Horizontal Right-Angle 15 amp IEC Adapter"
http://www.voodoocable.net/VAPA.htm

Or

IEC 90 deg/2 Right-angle A/C Adapter
http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow..._ID=27808&sct=
post #104 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How about this "Horizontal Right-Angle 15 amp IEC Adapter"
http://www.voodoocable.net/VAPA.htm

Or

IEC 90 deg/2 Right-angle A/C Adapter
http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow..._ID=27808&sct=

Holy smokes,VoodooCable has some amazing looking Tesla series power cords. Me want. Starting at "only" $900!

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #105 of 424 Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Soldonandy...

You may want to reduce the Master Level on the f112 and raise it on your pre-pro in order to drive the auto turn-on circuit with more signal at any given level.

Mr. Smith,

In order to "reduce the Master Level on the f112" you must essentially bypass the ARO, (switching to the Variable level defeats the "Reference Level" and thereby defeats the ARO.) Is it necessary to "defeat" or "bypass" the ARO in order to use the auto-on circuit?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #106 of 424 Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 AM

Craig... the Level Mode has no effect on the ARO. Once its calibrated, the only ways to defeat ARO are to put the sub in "Slave" Mode with the switch on the back or to hit the "ARO Defeat" button so that it's indicator light is lit.
post #107 of 424 Old 02-22-2007, 06:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Craig... the Level Mode has no effect on the ARO. Once its calibrated, the only ways to defeat ARO are to put the sub in "Slave" Mode with the switch on the back or to hit the "ARO Defeat" button so that it's indicator light is lit.

Thanks for that clarification. I'll try again tonight. Last night, after I set the ARO, I thought it went into "defeat" mode when I turned the Level Mode to Variable. Maybe I did something else by mistake.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #108 of 424 Old 02-22-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Holy smokes,VoodooCable has some amazing looking Tesla series power cords. Me want. Starting at "only" $900!

And then you plug it into the wall outlet into who knows what kind of monofilament Romex that is twenty times longer to the circuit breaker than the power cord? Think about it before you spend your $900!
post #109 of 424 Old 02-22-2007, 12:18 PM

DOES ANYONE WANNA BUY ME ONE OF THESE? I'll be your friend.
I can't wait till I can afford the f113.

Bass IS the best...
post #110 of 424 Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

I've had my F112 for a little over a week now. It was a 2-week old floor model, so it was well broken in when I bought it, (if you believe in sub "break-in"). Having listened to quite a few of the bass spectaculars, (LOTR-ROTK, WOTW, FOP, Nemo, KK, Incredibles, M&C, etc.), as well as some bass-heavy music, (Fourplay, BTS, Pink Floyd, DSotM, Steely Dan, Aja, etc.) I can state with certainty:

The F112 is *unequivocally* better than my Earthquake Supernova MKV-15.

Deeper extension.. better, smoother FR... more impact... more tactile response... and tighter, more controlled musical response.

It sounds better for movies *and* for music. Even in my very challenging room, (3,800 cubic ft., open to a stairwell and a hallway), I am very impressed with this sub's ability to be loud, low, linear and clean, especially for a sub of *this* size... or of *any* size!

It's not cheap, and many might question it's value. However, while I'm not craigsub, theEAR, jakeman or some of the other, more experienced forum members, I have heard several other, elaborate, expensive sub systems: (dual, stacked SVS cylinders; dual, co-located Hsu 1220's; dual Klipsch THX Ultra-2's; MacIntosh line array's with dual columns of six, 12" woofers; Martin Logan Descent with three 10" drivers, Velo DD series). No other system I've heard has the tonal purity of the single, 12" driver, sealed JL F112. Some of these other systems have more output, more impact, more sheer volume than the single F112, but they don't *sound* better, at least not to my ears at relatively reasonable listening levels, (and I like to listen at levels where my *kids* are asking me to turn it down).

The F113 is said to only exceed the F112 in sheer volume output by a few dB, and by maybe 1 or 2 Hz of extension. If this is the case, the F112 seems to be the cost-effective "sweet spot" for high-fidelity subs, IMO.

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #111 of 424 Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

I've had my F112 for a little over a week now. It was a 2-week old floor model, so it was well broken in when I bought it, (if you believe in sub "break-in"). Having listened to quite a few of the bass spectaculars, (LOTR-ROTK, WOTW, FOP, Nemo, KK, Incredibles, M&C, etc.), as well as some bass-heavy music, (Fourplay, BTS, Pink Floyd, DSotM, Steely Dan, Aja, etc.) I can state with certainty:

Deeper extension.. better, smoother FR... more impact... more tactile response... and tighter, more controlled musical response.

It sounds better for movies *and* for music. Even in my very challenging room, (3,800 cubic ft., open to a stairwell and a hallway), I am very impressed with this sub's ability to be loud, low, linear and clean, especially for a sub of *this* size... or of *any* size!

It's not cheap, and many might question it's value. However, while I'm not craigsub, theEAR, jakeman or some of the other, more experienced forum members, I have heard several other, elaborate, expensive sub systems: (dual, stacked SVS cylinders; dual, co-located Hsu 1220's; dual Klipsch THX Ultra-2's; MacIntosh line array's with dual columns of six, 12" woofers; Martin Logan Descent with three 10" drivers, Velo DD series). No other system I've heard has the tonal purity of the single, 12" driver, sealed JL F112. Some of these other systems have more output, more impact, more sheer volume than the single F112, but they don't *sound* better, at least not to my ears at relatively reasonable listening levels, (and I like to listen at levels where my *kids* are asking me to turn it down).

The F113 is said to only exceed the F112 in sheer volume output by a few dB, and by maybe 1 or 2 Hz of extension. If this is the case, the F112 seems to be the cost-effective "sweet spot" for high-fidelity subs, IMO.

Craig

I think I agree......it is probably the most sub you can get in the smallest package.
post #112 of 424 Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Craig

This pretty well locks my opinion that twin F112s would be better than one F113.
Cool.

Chris.

ps (please don't say get twin F113s. Can't afford it, don't need it, tired of hearing it.)

Knowledge is based on facts which are true until proven false. Truth is based on opinion and can't be proven, or disproven at all...
post #113 of 424 Old 03-08-2007, 07:19 AM

Chris, have you considered twin f113's?

Seriously, though... I agree that twin f112's are a dynamite setup. That's what I'm doing in my home.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.
post #114 of 424 Old 03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Seriously, though... I agree that twin f112's are a dynamite setup. That's what I'm doing in my home.

Best regards,

Manville Smith
JL Audio, Inc.

Hmmm, probably what I should have done. But now that I have my f113, I'll either have to suck it up with just one or wait a while and see if I can sneak in a second without my wife noticing.
post #115 of 424 Old 03-09-2007, 05:24 PM

I have the db's set to +5 and still not getting a consistant "auto on" without spiking the volume up a bit. I have decided to leave the subwoofer on all the time, looking for some advice if this is not a good idea. I also went to a balanced cable as my pre-amp has a balanced sub output
post #116 of 424 Old 03-09-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGood View Post

I have the db's set to +5 and still not getting a consistant "auto on" without spiking the volume up a bit. I have decided to leave the subwoofer on all the time, looking for some advice if this is not a good idea. I also went to a balanced cable as my pre-amp has a balanced sub output

I would be interested to hear from Manville Smith about leaving the subs always ON. What is his take on this,life span wise.

post #117 of 424 Old 03-14-2007, 03:25 PM

Hello All,

Time for me to chime in as a new owner of two f112s. I've had them about 2 weeks now and they pretty much have changed the movie watching experience in my HT. I thought long and hard about one f113 at first because of all the rave reviews, but settled on the 2 f112s as more likely to give me more flexibility and a better experience. I couldn't be more pleased. The bass is now completely enveloping in the room. There is absolutely no directional nature to it at all - it's simple smooth and solid everywhere it seems. And so far I've just put them in convenient places (center rear wall, center left wall), and haven't started tweaking. Hard to imagine it will get better, but I look forward to trying.

Thanks for all the info on this forum and the f113 thread. All good stuff - except some of you are clearly sub deranged. I fear that I'll be joining your ranks soon as my relationship grows with these beauties!

JR
post #118 of 424 Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM

Glad to hear you're happy, Jr.

Welcome to the loony bin!
post #119 of 424 Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Good to see more happy owners.

Today I demoed my f112 to a friend at home,running with Dynes S3.4 as mains,the Dynes cut at a high 80Hz! Well lets say impressed only begins to describe the end result.

Cut this high most subs ruin the experience,the f112 only filled in and extended down deep like a a high quality sub should.

Never intrusive,always there when called upon,detailed and controlled. True reference class.

Next I added the dual f113's to the mix. Simply MORE of the JL Audio goodness.

I think I have converted some poeple who did not know JL into pro future JL Audio buyers.

post #120 of 424 Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM

Hi all.... I currently have the svs 2039PC+. Ever since I got it, my wife has always told me how unsightly it is. The size of the F112 is very appealing and might actually give me a reason to upgrade. Well that is my question.... how much of a upgrade will the f112 be compared to my current 2039pc+. Will it be an upgrade at all? What should I expect?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jl Audio Fathom F112 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Jl Audio Brand , Jl Audio
Gear in this thread - F112 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page