power an unpowered sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2006, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to power and unpowered sub? I have a few old unpowered subs laying around and I desided to buy a new amp but the amp uses a pre out sub and I don't own one . I don't have much money as I am a grad student so what is the best option for me, buy a cheep powered amp or try to power the unpowered sub some how? I know there are many factors involved with an answer but im new to the game so shoot out some suggestions please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....TOKEN=26550726
post #3 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have a couple of these amps and they provide plenty of power for any home theater use,
the first one the amp 100 can give you 60 watts per channel or 160 watts bridged mono,and the amp 300 can give you 150 watts per channel or 400 watts bridged mono and both are great values and provide plenty of bang for the buck....
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4021738
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4142945

De-interlacing explained:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rainbow effect? :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lou
post #4 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

IMO, there are two features a subwoofer plate amp must have: An on/off switch that includes a 'hard' on position, not just an auto on (which may fail in low signal conditions), and a continuously adjustable phase control, not just a 0 or 180 degree switch.

Regretably, NONE of the Parts Express plate amps have both these basic features.

A good plate amp with good sound and good adjustability features is the Rythmic Audio plate amp, available from Rythmic or here:
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~aco...rs/rythmik350/
post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Right but with the external amps you can use the auto on and the phase thing is no big deal because you can just swap the positive and negative and the audiosource amps come with a 5 year warranty.

De-interlacing explained:

Rainbow effect? :

Lou
post #6 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

I believe I must have asked the wrong question possibly. Currently I have a Pioneer vsx-516-k or a basic 7.1 receiver that requres a pre-out sub. Formerly I had a boxed system that had the speakers i am currently using with this receiver. However, the subs that come with the premade sets were not powered so it seems that I would either need to buy a powered sub that i can connect to the receiver or put an amp between the receiver and the sub to power the sub. I tried a sonic impact classs-t audio amp to this effect but I wasn't able to get that to work but this could be thanks to the fact that I'm a novas. I hope this clarifies?
post #7 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Fil, do any of your unpowered subs have speaker wire connections? If so you can set your mains to 'Large', connect the sub to the amp's main outs with speaker wire and then connect your main speakers to the subs speaker outs. You'll end up using whatever crossover frequency is built in to the sub, often 100-150 Hz, but your only cost might be some more speaker wire....
post #8 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have owned who knows how many subwoofers, currrently an SVS PB12/Plus 2 and have never been able to detect ANY difference at all when adjusting a continually adjustable phase control. Maybe one of the experts can fill me in on what exactly this is supposed to accomplish, but for me it has always been absolutely nothing.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

I have owned who knows how many subwoofers, currrently an SVS PB12/Plus 2 and have never been able to detect ANY difference at all when adjusting a continually adjustable phase control. Maybe one of the experts can fill me in on what exactly this is supposed to accomplish, but for me it has always been absolutely nothing.

Do you have Avia and a SPL meter?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

What about using one of those plate amps for an UNPOWERED SVS Tube Sub?

500Watt Bash Amp

I'm thinking like an unpowered PC 20-39plus or an Unpowered PC Ultra.

There was another post and I suggested this to a guy....but is it ok?

(I suggested it thinking it was a good plan)

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"Do you have Avia and a SPL meter?"

Avia yes, SPL meter no.

My take on it though is that if I'm sitting in my living room with my eyes closed and my friend is playing with the phase control and I can't detect an audible difference at any point there likely isn't a significant difference. Sure the SPL meter may be able to pick something up minor, but if it's that minor what's the point?
post #12 of 12 Old 04-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know what everyone thought about my question below:

I have a Samsung HT in a Box passive sub (8'' downfiring & ported) and would like to tie it in with a 5.1 receiver I acquired instead of the Samsung box system it came with. I've been looking at the Bash 300 from the parts express website. Just wondering if anyone had a better suggestion within that price range. Keep in mind the specs indicate that the passive sub is rated for 3 ohms.

Suggestions please!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page