Help - convert speaker cables (red&black) to RCA subwoofer cable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, my Subwoofer only has an output of the speaker cables (red&black), however my receiver only has an input for RCA for subs. Is there such thing as a converter to easily fix this problem? Or is there more I need to do? Thanks in advance! Happy new years too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you have your input and output worded backwards. Subout on receiver and speaker in's on the sub. Is your sub powered?( ac cord?). If it's not , the sub out RCA jack on your receiver won't power the sub, it only sends the sound info to the sub, not the power needed to drive it. Either way(powered sub or not) you can use the right & left front speaker wires from your receiver into your sub's right and left speaker in's to power it and or send it the signal it needs to work. Then speaker out's right and left back to your front speakers themselves. Somebody else might have a better idea or better way of explaining this. Would help to know your equipment (sub & receiver) and if the sub is powered or not.

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 AM

he's saying that the sub he bought has left/right RCA inputs and the receiver he has has a dedicated sub output (single RCA)..

I've often wondered about this myself. Using the technic you're suggesting wouldn't take advantage of the dedicated audio channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 recording?
post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_antlers
he's saying that the sub he bought has left/right RCA inputs and the receiver he has has a dedicated sub output (single RCA)..

I've often wondered about this myself. Using the technic you're suggesting wouldn't take advantage of the dedicated audio channels in a 5.1 or 7.1 recording?

Actually i don't think i'm wrong in what he is saying. RCA's are typically red & white, he called them speaker connections and said red and black which is what color speaker connections typically are. To take advantage of the LFE track using the suggestion i made you would need to select "NO" subwoofer and Large front speakers in the receiver's menu. This will direct all LFE signals to the fronts and therefore your sub being as it is wired to your fronts.
Now if i am wrong about his situation, and i might be, then a single RCA cable can be used from the subout on the receiver to either(most here i believe use the white or left input) red or white ie. right or left, input on the sub. Some people use a y-adaptor on the sub end to connect to both right and left which can help a little with finnicky "auto on" subs that don't signal sense very well at lower volumes. It doesn't really matter as the LFE is a mono signal anyway, not stereo.
Maybe the OP will clarify for us what he has going on for sure, but now we should have him taken care of either way.

If it only takes one match to start a forestfire, then why does it take the whole#$%@!&* box to start a camp fire for the kids?!?!? PITTDOG1
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
snake, what brand and model sub do you have?

Randy
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Cecisnake ? Pitdog? For a second I thought I was on a veterinary forum. :D If your sub only has speaker level inputs you need to daisy chain the receiver speaker outputs to your sub and the sub's speaker outs to your mains. Set the sub woofer to no/off and all bass including your LFE channel will go to your L/R speaker outputs which will be connected to your sub.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2006, 10:32 PM

I also had the same issue and someone on the forum suggested the following adapter from monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Isn't we just need to connect rca from receiver to this adapter input and the male left/right to sub or please let me know if i am missing something?

Thanks
--rubs
post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2006, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

rubs, the only problem i can see with that adapter is that your subs inputs have to be that exact spacing between them. you can buy a 6" or so cable that looks like a " Y " and does the same thing (1-female to 2 males like the one in your link) but has some lee-way in the gap between the RCA's on the sub. Does the same thing .

Ian, to funny, lol

Closed Thread Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page