SVS SB12 Plus vs Sunfire D 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im looking for a sub and its got to be somewhat compact due to WAF my room size is 16x12 and this sub will be for 95% HT. Im trying to choose between the SB 12 plus or the Sunfire D-12. (or another sub thats is same size and price) Any sugg. or opinions.. Thanks Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had no complaints with my SB12-Plus -- so I got a second one! (I always use duals).

I vaguely remember some marketing issue with Sunfire subs -- if you go that way make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

If you are looking for info on the SB12-Plus, Audioholics reviewed it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=782694
and subsequently selected it as the best entry level sub of 2006.
Secrets also reviewed it: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html
post #4 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Now an answer from someone who has and had almost all the compact subs made(minus the new compact SVS)

The Sunfire D12 will move very probably as much air as the SVS competitor. Both offer very good sound quality,be it HT or more importantly music.

Now where you separate the two,the Sunfire is cheaper(built quality)and the SVS uses better quality parts. Simply a better product. Now you may ask how can I make a guess like this,simple as I have a D8 and D12 and these are finished like the low end Definitive subs,and from all accounts and looks it is finished like its larger brothers(I have hands on experuience). The cabinetry and controls on the SVS is simply a full class above.

Driver wise both subs have beefy very long throw woofer.

Go with SVS

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 05:51 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Now an answer from someone who has and had almost all the compact subs made(minus the new compact SVS)

The Sunfire D12 will move very probably as much air as the SVS competitor. Both offer very good sound quality,be it HT or more importantly music.

Now where you separate the two,the Sunfire is cheaper(built quality)and the SVS uses better quality parts. Simply a better product. Now you may ask how can I make a guess like this,simple as I have a D8 and D12 and these are finished like the low end Definitive subs,and from all accounts and looks it is finished like its larger brothers(I have hands on experuience). The cabinetry and controls on the SVS is simply a full class above.

Driver wise both subs have beefy very long throw woofer.

Go with SVS

Mr Ear,

For 50/50 Music & HT, how would you compare the ML Dynamo to the SB12 Plus? I need a small sub as well and understand the Dynamo performs well with music. Obviously, the Dynamo is approx. $200 cheaper so I need to take that into account. However, I do not want to be in an upgrade situation in a year. Let me know if you have any insights given your extensive experiense. Thank you.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 06:41 PM

I have had my SB12+ since Christmas. I have been slowly dialing it in with REQW when I have time and I find that everytime I tweak it I hear more and more detail. I really use our HT mostly for music first, movies second. I think it is great for music. I keep hearing things in old cd's that I never knew were there with my old Infinity RS sub (early 90's vintage). I guess I never really new what good bass sounded like before. For movies, it is good and solid, but I would not call it gut wrenching. But then again, we do not listen to movies at reference levels. It starts to roll off in our room at about 23 hz or so. One of the added benefits that I am noticing with network HDTV on cable, is that some of the DD sound tracks have some pretty decent bass. Not heavy handed at all, kind of delicate and deep if that makes sense. I am amazed that some of the music I listen to has less bass, because of the controlled sound of this sub. I find that it can really stop quickly and not ring thru like my old sub does. Oh, and by the way, shipping was not too bad- $28. So you would only be out $56 if you decide you don't like it, since you have a 45 day audition period. Hope this helps.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks Philly. I appreciate your comments.

For movies, my only hope is that it blends well with my mains that have built in subs. The mains go fairly low but I would assume the SB12+ would be a nice improvement in terms of detail and punch.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

You might want to think about taking a look at the ACI Force XL also. It falls into the same price/size/performance envelope you are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell View Post

If you are looking for info on the SB12-Plus, Audioholics reviewed it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=782694
and subsequently selected it as the best entry level sub of 2006.

Audioholics
post #9 of 14 Old 01-08-2007, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmanolis View Post

Mr Ear,

For 50/50 Music & HT, how would you compare the ML Dynamo to the SB12 Plus? I need a small sub as well and understand the Dynamo performs well with music. Obviously, the Dynamo is approx. $200 cheaper so I need to take that into account. However, I do not want to be in an upgrade situation in a year. Let me know if you have any insights given your extensive experiense. Thank you.

I can compare the Dynamo VS the D12. I prefer the more musical dare I say,ML Dynamo. This is my prefernce,based on the sound quality alone.Note both have very good sound quality,another person may tell you the D12 sounds better and they would not be wrong.

As for SVS it is simply a better built sub,better built than both the Dynamo and D12. Parts quality and level of adjustability is unmatched at this price level.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-05-2007, 06:31 PM

Mr. Ear,

I have a Sunfire D12, and I am a newbie.
How do I adjust the D12 to get the bass sounding more "Tighter" or "Deeper"?
My crossover is set to Bypass and the Level is set on 0 db (as recommended from the manual), not sure how to adjust the Phase dial.
I have this beast connected to Harmon Kardon AVR340 and the Sub is set here at -10db. I have the Center and Front Left/Right set to Large.
I mainly use my setup for movies. Listening to the movie trailer for "300" was great!
I could feel the lightening and the bass from the sound track.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2007, 06:25 PM

I don't have the Sunfire D12 but I do own the MK IV and I totally love it.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2007, 06:43 PM

I have the SB12 and it has my vote. Her is another review and some discussion. As far as WAF the Piano is a nice piece of furniture.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...use-roars.html

DN
post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby888 View Post

Mr. Ear,

I have a Sunfire D12, and I am a newbie.
How do I adjust the D12 to get the bass sounding more "Tighter" or "Deeper"?
My crossover is set to Bypass and the Level is set on 0 db (as recommended from the manual), not sure how to adjust the Phase dial.
I have this beast connected to Harmon Kardon AVR340 and the Sub is set here at -10db. I have the Center and Front Left/Right set to Large.
I mainly use my setup for movies. Listening to the movie trailer for "300" was great!
I could feel the lightening and the bass from the sound track.

Tigter oftens referes to a sub with ahigher cutoff.Gives ou more punch and impression it is tighter.

Deeper,cut the sub lower(40-50Hz)and let the mains to the rest(if your mains are capable of 40-50hz extension).

It is all Placebo here. Even a sub like a Velodyne DD series or JL Audio can sound bloated if setup was botched.

The D12 is a very defined sub,a sealed design.Anyone calling it flabby or undefined needs to have his ears/setup checked.

The D series from Sunfire are the best sounding Sunfire subs in fact,least expenive...least output down deep(compared with the EQ and Solitaire EQ series).
But best sounding non the less.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 AM

I have a SVS PB10 and I want to upgrade to a Sunfire. I have been looking at the True sub markII, D12. Which one would be the one to go for?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page