Clear line of sight between sub and listening position? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,
Do you need to have a clear line of sight between a subwoofer and the listening position? I know for the other speakers that tend to higher frequencies, its important, but is it the same for a sub which would be outputting only lower frequencies? Or do low frequencies travel through everything with little reflection?

The reason why I'm asking is I may need to place my sub where:
1) it's output waves will "clip" the end of a sofa before reaching the listening position OR
2) be located partially behind a wood A/V rack.
If these configurations will have a detriment to the sound, then I'll have to move things around a bit.

The sub is on order so I don't have it yet to test, I just want to make certain preps for it's positioning if necessary before hand. I plan to use a crossover of 80Hz. I currently have 4 identical bookshelf speakers (Mission M31) that are rated to go down to 65Hz and a center (Mission M3c2) that's rated to go down to 56Hz.

Another Q:
When calibrating, I use the YPAO microphone that comes with my Yamaha receiver. I place the mic at the listening position and it's like an SPL meter. It sends out test tones through each speaker and determines the SPL level for each speaker. One of the fronts is at zero and the others are around zero (+/- a couple of dB's). When I get my sub, am I correct in saying that I want to adjust the "gain" or "volume control" on my sub until it's output matches the level of my fronts at zero? (ie. upon a first attempt at calibrating, if the receiver adjusts the sub out by -6dB, that obviously would mean I would have to turn the gain on the sub down and try again). I hope that makes some sense.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
No, it does not matter if there is a clear line of sight between you and the subwoofer. I'd actually venture to guess that at least half or more of the population puts the sub somewhere the ISN'T in the line of sight from ones listening position (behind the couch, beside the couch as an endtable, behind a TV, etc).
post #3 of 3 Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You do not need a clear line of site to the sub. That is not something you need to consider in your positioning.

As far as calibrating goes, you could turn the sub gain down and re-calibrate or you could leave it as is. Either way should result in the same net level. Sometimes you need to re-calibrate as you proposed in order to get enough signal to trigger the sub's auto-on sensor if it has one.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page