post #151 of 153 Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeman View Post

One of the topics that has intrigued me is the SQ matchup between the Velo DD and the JLs. Not too many people have heard both. Rob and Randy thought they were too close to call. I believe Craig leans to the JL. I go back and forth but I haven't had the opportunity to listen to both side by side. What is your take Ear on the nuances between the two?

They are very close,keep in mind I have the HGS18 and not the DigitalDrive Velo.

The HGS18 at matched level with the f113 performs so close I would not call it a sound quality upgrade,going either sub.

As for the output,and this sometimes is good to have(the headroom that is),the JL takes the podium with relative ease.

Overall the JL is a better subwoofer,as it costs less,performs slightly better overall. I think most here will agree.And is a good deal smaller!

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 153 Old 01-15-2007, 08:15 AM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
Most content there wouldn't be a much of a quality difference, no. The Velodynes are world-class subs. But still, I had a DD-15 and I enjoy my music/theaters more than ever now with the JL's. There is no question to me the JL is an overall improvement over the Velodyne DD series, which was pretty much recognized as the industry standard in SQ, and you wouldn't be making a mistake if you did decide upgrade. In my situation...............did I need to upgrade? No. Am I glad I upgraded? Absolutely.
post #153 of 153 Old 01-15-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thanks for sharing these perspectives. I'm taking a long look at both subs and aftermarket pricing is such that its not a factor. SQ and output down low are important in that order.

John
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page