ORBS and large sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone running orb audio satellites with a 12inch or larger sub? I want more kick than the super 8 gives down low, but the recommended crossover point for the orbs is 120hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 PM

I use Gallo Micros with a PB10-ISD. Unfortunately, my receiver only has a 90Hz crossover setting, so there is a slight frequency gap. However, it sounds pretty smooth, as long as you aren't doing a frequency sweep, which will make the gap noticeable. The PB10 is close to +/- 3dB to 120 Hz, or so, which helps. The only thing I've really noticed is that you have to be very careful with calibrating (mine's done by ear at the moment- need to pick up a SPL meter), as the large sub can easily overpower the small speakers. I run movies 3-9 dB hotter than with music, depending on how loud I'm watching the movie (actually, until I get it calibrated, music may be 3-6dB cold).

Edit: If I were to buy a new sub, I'd probably go the way of a Rocket UFW-10. The UFW-10 doesn't have posted upper frequency specs, but the UFW-12 has a frequency response of 23-220 +/- 3 dB. The SVS is great, but huge!
post #3 of 3 Old 01-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

I run my orb setup with an SVS PC-Ultra and an MBM-12.

I cross the Ultra at 50 hz and the MBM-12 is crossed in the receiver at either 100 hz or 120hz depending on what I'm listening to.

Sound great even with the PC-Ultra alone.

Some will argue that the orbs need to be crossed higher, but Doing FrQ sweeps I only notice a dip at 125hz in my setup, 110, 120 were fine and so was the FRQ's above 125hz. Not flat but not a terrible dip either, just at 125 and probably do to room acoustics. (this dip occurs even with the X-over at 150 or 200hz.)

I find that crossing at 100 or 120 sounds best, but at 120 the MBM is slightly noticeable depending on the source.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page