Is the paradigm seismic series good?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site...smicSpecs.html

I was offered a seismic 12" for about 900$. It has been on the floor for the past few mnths as a model. I was wondering if it was worth it? "Chronicles of Riddick" sounded good on it in HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 04:00 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
Thats a good price on a very good sub. prepare yourself for a potential SVS/HSU suggestion avalanche though
post #3 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 04:42 PM

that's a very good price on that sub............at one time i had a couple seismic12's but i'm down to one......my other sub is a vtf3.2..........the seismic is very good with strong output down to low 20's and usable output down to 18.....at least in my room......above 25 it's a beast......on top of that it sounds very good with music...........hope that helps
post #4 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
For that price, you could go with a SVS SB12-Plus or for a bit more a SVS-PB12/Plus
That most here believe will outperform that by quite a bit...

Or HSU has a few, but I am not familiar with them as much as SVS...
Im sure someone else will chime in on HSU.

Email both company's, they will both be happy to help you...

What is the size of your room... and what do you listen to...
music, movies..?
post #5 of 10 Old 01-11-2007, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

For that price, you could go with a SVS SB12-Plus or for a bit more a SVS-PB12/Plus
That most here believe will outperform that by quite a bit...

Or HSU has a few, but I am not familiar with them as much as SVS...
Im sure someone else will chime in on HSU.

Email both company's, they will both be happy to help you...

What is the size of your room... and what do you listen to...
music, movies..?

Nah nah nah

Stop right here. The sealed cube SVS SB12Plus does in no way outperform the Seismic12. The larger vented SVS yes,down deep,not the tiny cube one.

The Seismic 12 has a very capable 12" woofer capable of 2" of excursion,uses two PR's and is powered by a 1500W RMS amp capable of 4.5KW peaks. The SVS uses a driver that simply cannot move more air,is housed in a sealed cabinet and powered by a less capable amp.

A sub 's prowess is in its ability to move air,and here the Seismic 12 moves more air. Period

I like SVS and all but making statements this bold irritates me. The SB12Plus is far far away from a sealed beasts like JL has,these move way more air and use drivers and amps way more capable.

The Seismic12 is a very good quality subwoofer,and does well with music and HT.

When comparing subs being fair or close is a must. People as questions and are derailed by fans of a company. I am no Paradigm fanboy,I own too many damn different brands to elevate one .

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

"The Seismic12 is a very good quality subwoofer,and does well with music and HT."

Thanks for all the replies. When I got offered the deal I was leaning towards it as I did listen to it and did like it immensely. I know I can have the SVS and HSU delivered and sent back if I dint like it. The reason I did post this question was to c if it is worth it to go thru that hassle..........My room is 19X12 with 8Ft cielings and I intend to use it mainly for movies, HD TV and some music. The room is in a corner in the basement.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity View Post

"The Seismic12 is a very good quality subwoofer,and does well with music and HT."

Thanks for all the replies. When I got offered the deal I was leaning towards it as I did listen to it and did like it immensely. I know I can have the SVS and HSU delivered and sent back if I dint like it. The reason I did post this question was to c if it is worth it to go thru that hassle..........My room is 19X12 with 8Ft cielings and I intend to use it mainly for movies, HD TV and some music. The room is in a corner in the basement.

You have to try it in your room.Then you will ahve your answer.

19*12*8 ...1824cu ft. A normal size room,not small not large.A single Seismic12 should be A ok here,to get in a significant way more you would have to buy the larger size HSU,SVS and Paradigm Servo subs.

Know the Seismic 12 has some seious slam and can dig quite deep,the quality of the sub is very high.Just leave the setting on the amp panel on FLAT.

Ask yourself mortal , do you have as much displacement as me ? The answer is no unless you have a Windmere fan sub.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

I don't remember what MSRP on that sub is, but if you feel it is a good deal, then I say go for it.

If you never came to this forum, you would have never known about HSU or SVS, and you would have been completely happy with the Paradigm.

Paradigm makes good subwoofers, but as I have heard all of them at my local dealer, I can say that I have never been wowed by one in the store. But then again, my local dealer doesn't know crap about calibrating subs, and I wasn't going to calibrate all of them for him for free.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR View Post

Nah nah nah

Stop right here. The sealed cube SVS SB12Plus does in no way outperform the Seismic12. The larger vented SVS yes,down deep,not the tiny cube one.

The Seismic 12 has a very capable 12" woofer capable of 2" of excursion,uses two PR's and is powered by a 1500W RMS amp capable of 4.5KW peaks. The SVS uses a driver that simply cannot move more air,is housed in a sealed cabinet and powered by a less capable amp.

A sub 's prowess is in its ability to move air,and here the Seismic 12 moves more air. Period

I like SVS and all but making statements this bold irritates me. The SB12Plus is far far away from a sealed beasts like JL has,these move way more air and use drivers and amps way more capable.

The Seismic12 is a very good quality subwoofer,and does well with music and HT.

When comparing subs being fair or close is a must. People as questions and are derailed by fans of a company. I am no Paradigm fanboy,I own too many damn different brands to elevate one .

I should have made the difference in my statement more clear, I was suggesting that for less $$ the SB12-Plus...

For more performance the PB12-Plus... but I will keep my mouth shut, as I do not have any data to back up my talk here...

sorry for the confusion...

Warp
post #10 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I should have made the difference in my statement more clear, I was suggesting that for less $$ the SB12-Plus...

For more performance the PB12-Plus... but I will keep my mouth shut, as I do not have any data to back up my talk here...

sorry for the confusion...

Warp

No need to be sorry for anything you posted. I am sorry to have made a an abrassive post.

SB12-Plus then Seismic 12 and then PB12-Plus. The ported SVS will match and best(extension and SPL down deep) the Seismic12.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page