Anybody in Canada ever order a HSU sub and get it shipped to you? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm kind of looking at a sub for a 15x20' room and see that HSU has 20% off the list price of $599 USD on the STF-3, while the Canadian distributor has it listed at $799.00 CAD. I was considering the EP350 from Axiom for $750.00 CAD list, but understand the HSU is a better sub.

Just wondering if anybody has purchased direct, shipped to canada and what the customs, shipping costs were?? Basically, is it worth it to get shipped from the US or is it similar??

Was also considering the SVS PB12-NSD as I'm just looking for a good sub in that price range for a mix of 60% 5.1 HT/HDTV and 40% music. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 11:01 AM

If I recall correctly, I contacted HSU and they told me that they don't ship to Canada and that you have to buy through a Canadian dealer. I went through electronicsforless.ca and was very happy with their prices and service (they were having a sale).

If you have any questions, PM me, I rarely am on this forum.
post #3 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

If I recall correctly, I contacted HSU and they told me that they don't ship to Canada and that you have to buy through a Canadian dealer. I went through electronicsforless.ca and was very happy with their prices and service (they were having a sale).

If you have any questions, PM me, I rarely am on this forum.

Thanks, I checked that site out and its the same price as the HSU Canadian distributor price, which is terrible compared to the US price. Maybe they will have a sale soon, otherwise I'll buy something else. Either SVS or Axiom.

I'm, guessing that if HSU would ship to me in Canada the sub would be at least $125 cheaper. I hate wasting that kind of $$ for no reason. Its like buying some monster cables.
post #4 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 12:48 PM

HSU now ships direct to Canada. Info here
post #5 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 03:55 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
HSU has dropped their CDN distributors so they are just getting rid of stock that they have already. I believe EFS is taking offers on the older models they have to get rid of hte stock, and they offer great service if you're interested.

HSU will be shipping direct to Canada moving forward. So unfortuantely we will get hit with broker/duty/fx, etc. However, havingn said that, basically we were paying for it anyhow (hence the higher prices from the Canadian websites) since the dealers have to pay the bulk of the costs anyhow and build it in the price.

I was quoted, if I recall, about US$1200 all in for the HSU HO (no turbo) shipped to Toronto. I.e., landed cost.

Note that that would include 8% PST and you lucky Albertans don't have any sales tax aside from GST!

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #6 of 37 Old 01-12-2007, 08:52 PM

Al berta

Shipping to anywhere in the Continental US was US$53. Shipping to my door in Vancouver was $207. That extra thirty miles was $154. Hello US Mailbox. If you're by Coutts, then it's feasible, if you're in Deadmonton, then you're hooped.

PS

Do you know where 7 Persons is or Winnifred, then you're a true Albertan. If not then you're probably a Newfie moving in during the boom times (and wasn't there for the last bust in the 80's). Get it while it's hot, but get the h*ll outta there before it busts. No doot aboot it.

EDIT
Didn't see your location, Calgary- you're pretty well hooped. Just think of the resale value if you ever sell will be better than trying to unload a Klipsch sub or any sub that easily accessible there. You're making a killing in Calgary - what's an extra $154 dollars? They're paying ppl $14/hr to work in a doughnut shop??? - You're gonna crash when oil and commodities drop - Can't last, but get all you can while you're there
post #7 of 37 Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermelon View Post

Al berta

Shipping to anywhere in the Continental US was US$53. Shipping to my door in Vancouver was $207. That extra thirty miles was $154. Hello US Mailbox. If you're by Coutts, then it's feasible, if you're in Deadmonton, then you're hooped.

PS

Do you know where 7 Persons is or Winnifred, then you're a true Albertan. If not then you're probably a Newfie moving in during the boom times (and wasn't there for the last bust in the 80's). Get it while it's hot, but get the h*ll outta there before it busts. No doot aboot it.

EDIT
Didn't see your location, Calgary- you're pretty well hooped. Just think of the resale value if you ever sell will be better than trying to unload a Klipsch sub or any sub that easily accessible there. You're making a killing in Calgary - what's an extra $154 dollars? They're paying ppl $14/hr to work in a doughnut shop??? - You're gonna crash when oil and commodities drop - Can't last, but get all you can while you're there

Bitter, no I'm not a newf...not that theres anything wrong with that, but good guess. I am a supplanted Ontario native thats been here 10 years. I'm here for the long haul and have nothing to do with Oil/gas. Just staying in my bunker when it all goes south.

Conversely, my relatives used to live in North Van, then Surrey before Expo and got out after the massive influx and moved to the wack. Just wait until after 2010 in Bongcouver and you will have to move to Merritt to escape the crime and rising house costs.

As for being able to waste $154 on shipping because of some prosperity....I could just by Monster Cables to do that.

My neighbour has a PO box in Kalispell MT, so that part is now solved. Aaaaaah.....inexpensive shipping and no sales tax, this is the life.

The only problem now is what to put in my 16x20'x8' room. STF-3 or VTF2-MKII which is similarly priced. Anybody got any suggestions for that kind of space, please let me know.

Enjoy the weather and Granville Island Heffenweisen. I love that stuff.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-18-2007, 07:44 PM

Al-berta:

Check your private messages.

PS. Alberta Sucks...home of the dollar-chasing pickup-driving rednecks...
post #9 of 37 Old 01-18-2007, 08:50 PM

I now have an axiom ep500 and a hsu vtf 3-mk3, both are good , but i say buy canadian and get the ep500 , in some ways i like it more than the hsu.
The axiom has a much better look to it and sounds just as good with movies.
Ive been in calgary 9 YEARS NOW and i still miss vancouver island, i'll move back one day soon
post #10 of 37 Old 01-18-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Good Luck

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #11 of 37 Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

The EP-500 and HSU VTF-3HO are pretty closely priced once you factor in the shipping/duty/fx, etc. on the HO.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #12 of 37 Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-berta View Post

Bitter, no I'm not a newf...not that theres anything wrong with that, but good guess. I am a supplanted Ontario native thats been here 10 years. I'm here for the long haul and have nothing to do with Oil/gas. Just staying in my bunker when it all goes south.

The only problem now is what to put in my 16x20'x8' room. STF-3 or VTF2-MKII which is similarly priced. Anybody got any suggestions for that kind of space, please let me know.

Enjoy the weather and Granville Island Heffenweisen. I love that stuff.

Our room is 12 X 23 X 8 and the VTF-2.3 fills it quite nicely. The VTF gives you flexibility in tuning but the STF comes with a more powerful amp, but 50W translated into dB isn't going to be a lot. I personally like the flexibility, but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet to see what real world difference it gives you. The VTF-2.3 is similarily priced to the other ones, and it's essentially a VTF-3.2 with the smaller amp, so I'd throw that into the mix. The deal breaker may be the different dimensions of the subwoofers. I measured before hand but moving 78 lbs with inches to spare wasn't the best thing for me back!

The weather has been a boon as it keeps the really bad drivers off the road. I'm off to the ROCK next month visiting friends, so don't take my comments about newfies the wrong way. I'm glad you have a US address to ship it as it's outrageous how much the extra charge is to the Great White North.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-20-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermelon View Post

Our room is 12 X 23 X 8 and the VTF-2.3 fills it quite nicely. The VTF gives you flexibility in tuning but the STF comes with a more powerful amp, but 50W translated into dB isn't going to be a lot. I personally like the flexibility, but I haven't had a chance to play around with it yet to see what real world difference it gives you. The VTF-2.3 is similarily priced to the other ones, and it's essentially a VTF-3.2 with the smaller amp, so I'd throw that into the mix. The deal breaker may be the different dimensions of the subwoofers. I measured before hand but moving 78 lbs with inches to spare wasn't the best thing for me back!

The weather has been a boon as it keeps the really bad drivers off the road. I'm off to the ROCK next month visiting friends, so don't take my comments about newfies the wrong way. I'm glad you have a US address to ship it as it's outrageous how much the extra charge is to the Great White North.

Thanks, I found a local dealer here that suggested the VTF-2.2, but I think I will wait a bit until the VTF2.3 gets into the pipeline up here and get some more feedback.

I'm no newfie or left coast hater either. Each place has its strengths. My boss has been in Van for about 4 years and says there is a segment of the population that has a subtle condesending attitude ........that if your not living in Vancouver you are somehow missing something in life.

Here in Alberta our attitude is .....stay away and keep your hands off our money.

I think a VTF-2.3 is in my future anyways. Just remains to see how far in the future.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-20-2007, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose View Post

Al-berta:

Check your private messages.

PS. Alberta Sucks...home of the dollar-chasing pickup-driving rednecks...

Thanks Loose. You forgot, down south we are SUV driving rednecks.......they use more gas and better support the economy in Alberta
post #15 of 37 Old 01-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Here is the official email from HSU

You can also buy from Toronto "http://www.electronicsforless.ca/"
I got my VTF-3 MK 2 there for good price plus free shipping

Hello Chris,

The shipping costs to Canada for the VTF-3 HO is $318
US dollars and for the Turbo it is $106. The total
cost for shipping of these items would be $424 which
includes duties, taxes, and brokerage fees and will be
delivered to your door. If you have any other
questions please let us know. Have a good day.

Regards,
HSU Research
--- Chris wrote:

> Hello
>
> I would like to know the shipping cost of VTF-3
> HO/Turbo to London Ontario, Canada >
> Thank you
>
> Chris
post #16 of 37 Old 01-21-2007, 07:07 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

EFS is only carrying the remainder of whatever product they had on hand, they are not carrying the new versions (.3 or HO) as HSU has gotten rid of their Canadian dealers. You could probably get a good deal on a VTF3.2 though.

Quote:

post #17 of 37 Old 01-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Is it just me or is the shipping price to Canada really bad?

Hsu has dropped all their dealers unexpectedly according to our local guy.

Find an old dealer and you can get some pretty nice pricing. I would assume the warranty still applies to them.

This bloody Redcoat said I was a terrorist.

Somewhere along the way I become an Elitist who looks down on the
cheap bastards who call themselves my AV Hobbyist peers.
I am not prepared.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

FYI, to any of you Canucks, it looks like HSU is dropping electronicsforless as their distributor in Canada and they are clearing out stock.

I was gonna order one from HSU and have it shipped to Montana and pick it up to save approx $160, but the clearance price is pretty much the same, so I just ordered it from EFL.

Now I hope they have one in stock still.
post #19 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 10:14 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

See my post about 3 up, HSU is getting rid of all distributors (there is an announcement somewhere on their website about this as well). Once the stock dries up you will only be able to order through HSU ...

Quote:

post #20 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 11:05 AM

I ordered a hsu sub from a retailer in Seattle a few weeks ago, but was notified that they are not able to access the NEW products. The reason for me purchasing it in Seattle and picking it up was that i would be saving a few hundred dollars(shipping/duty). Now i ordered it online and PAID the extra $$$. As far as shipping goes to Canada, I placed the order last week and still to this day i have not received a confirmation as to when the product will be shipped. Hsu sales told me it takes a little longer to get out due to the item being shipped to Canada. I hope all this extra $$$ and time makes it all woth while.
post #21 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 01:26 PM

Really the shipping prices are not that bad. Shipping for a VTF3HO with turbo is $105.00 in the US. Shipping to Canada is roughly $225.00. Really not that bad. It is not HSU's fault that there are duty, brokerage, and taxes on there products. You would have to pay this anyways regardless of what you order from the US. The VTF3HO with turbo weighs almost 100 pounds. The company that I work for ships restoration parts to Canada. Some of the boxes only weigh 20lbs, but cost almost $100.00 because of the size. Unfortunately this is the way it works. For the money you will be getting a great product! What more could you want.
post #22 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomalinois View Post

Really the shipping prices are not that bad. Shipping for a VTF3HO with turbo is $105.00 in the US. Shipping to Canada is roughly $225.00. Really not that bad. It is not HSU's fault that there are duty, brokerage, and taxes on there products. You would have to pay this anyways regardless of what you order from the US. The VTF3HO with turbo weighs almost 100 pounds. The company that I work for ships restoration parts to Canada. Some of the boxes only weigh 20lbs, but cost almost $100.00 because of the size. Unfortunately this is the way it works. For the money you will be getting a great product! What more could you want.

Actually shipping costs are that bad. Check out Bittermelons post where it cost $53 to ship to Seattle, but he paid an extra $154 to get it from Seattle to Vancouver.

It is not HSU's fault. Absolutely correct.

I wouldnt have had to pay that cost. Most of the fees are what the carrier charges for international shipping and brokerage. I could have brought it across duty free.

This way, I get my sub for approx $550 USD, delivered to my door. Before that the price was approx $700 USD delivered to my door from the distributor. I'm pleased with saving $150...
post #23 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Are these U.S. duties and taxes, or Canadian?

What happened to NAFTA?
post #24 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 02:24 PM

All the taxes and duties are via the Canadian government. The brokerage fees are what the carrie charges to handle the package through customs. The parts my company sends are duty free so that saves some money. I am sure HSU looked into that as well.

There are always ways around the shipping and taxes but most people and governments consider it illegal.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Wid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockemsockem View Post

Are these U.S. duties and taxes, or Canadian?

What happened to NAFTA?

It's not made in the U.S so NAFTA would not apply.

Rick
post #26 of 37 Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echomalinois View Post

There are always ways around the shipping and taxes but most people and governments consider it illegal.

Its only illegal if you get caught Jaywalking is illegal, recording music and movies without copyright permission is illegal. Operating a retail business on Sundays used to be illegal.

Funny how once upon a time, alcohol was illegal.....now its only illegal if you make it yourself and the Govt. isnt making $$ from it.

As for NAFTA, they have different schedules of tax and duties depending on the country of origin to protect the domestic employee.

I'm just saying I could have saved money by picking it up across the border, but thanks to the close out pricing....I dont have to.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-08-2007, 05:32 AM

when it comes to ordering consumer goods for the average Joe, NAFTA is a bloody
joke
post #28 of 37 Old 02-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Well i ordered my sub on the 1st of the month and to this day i have still not received an email confirming the product has been shipped. A little disappointing to say the least. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you fellow Canadians know when they arrive.
post #29 of 37 Old 02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaWaWeeWa View Post

Well i ordered my sub on the 1st of the month and to this day i have still not received an email confirming the product has been shipped. A little disappointing to say the least. I'll keep my fingers crossed and let you fellow Canadians know when they arrive.

Call them?

GooD Luck

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #30 of 37 Old 03-09-2007, 12:11 PM

I picked up a HSU from Canadian distributor ElectronicsForLess (SonicBoomAudio) in Toronto. Unfortunately I received a damaged sub. That was on February 15th. It's now March 9th and I still don't have a replacement, even though the sub has long since been paid for.
HSU says they have no warranty obligation unless you buy directly from them, even if you buy from authorized distributor.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page