Next step up from the BIC 100 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although I don't have a whole bunch to spend on a sub, I think I might be able to swing $400 or so.

So then, is there a powered sub which is quite a bit more powerful, and / or with a larger driver than the BIC 100, in the $300 to $400 range ? .......or, would I be better off to go with two BIC 100's ? (or 3... or 4... :-)

These would be for the lower frequencies of a surround sound system, which would be used about 50/50 for movies and music..... But I do like to listen to (and feel) a lot of techno bass stuff with quite a bit of signal, down to, and even below 20Hz....

Thank you,
Fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Advanced Member

The SVS PB10 is probably the next step up with the best sound for HT at the ~$400 price range. Althought the driver is only a 10", it will produce cleaner and deeper bass than the bic.

Micah
post #3 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Chris View Post

Although I don't have a whole bunch to spend on a sub, I think I might be able to swing $400 or so.

So then, is there a powered sub which is quite a bit more powerful, and / or with a larger driver than the BIC 100, in the $300 to $400 range ? .......or, would I be better off to go with two BIC 100's ? (or 3... or 4... :-)

These would be for the lower frequencies of a surround sound system, which would be used about 50/50 for movies and music..... But I do like to listen to (and feel) a lot of techno bass stuff with quite a bit of signal, down to, and even below 20Hz....

Thank you,
Fish

If $400 is stretching your budget, it's going to put most of the next level of subs out of your range. I think a second H-100 for just over $200 might give you what your looking for. If you can swing $450-500 then a I would highly recommend the HSU VTF2-MK3 followed by the PB-10.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

If $400 is stretching your budget, it's going to put most of the next level of subs out of your range. I think a second H-100 for just over $200 might give you what your looking for. If you can swing $450-500 then a I would highly recommend the HSU VTF2-MK3 followed by the PB-10.

What he said but I would pass over the pb10. I'm not sure if the pb10 would net you worlds better than the h100. I never had one but I find it hard to believe that the pb10 is worth $150 more. Go ahead people, flame away at the taboo I've just spoken.

In my experience, Every time I try a little jump , like what was spoken of, I never feel that it was really worth it. I never hear the differences. I would just get the BIC if you can not wait or get the VTF2 if you can wait and save money.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdamocles View Post

What he said but I would pass over the pb10. I'm not sure if the pb10 would net you worlds better than the h100. I never had one but I find it hard to believe that the pb10 is worth $150 more. Go ahead people, flame away at the taboo I've just spoken.

In my experience, Every time I try a little jump , like what was spoken of, I never feel that is was really worth it. I never hear the differences. I would just get the BIC if you can not wait or get the VTF2 if you can wait and save money.

Very true. It's hard to make recommendations like this because there are so many variables. Here is my upgrade experience going from a PB-10 to a VTF3-mk2. While the PB-10 was an excellent sub it was over-matched for the large room I had it in. When I brought the HSU in it was a huge improvement in deep bass and the way it energized the room. Now that I have my system in a much smaller room I probably won't have noticed the changed as much.

Fish,

I think the deciding factor in your case is what is more important. Are you just looking on improving the headroom(Dual H-100s) or do you want to improve headroom, go deeper and get cleaner output(VTF2.3)?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 03:44 AM

Also, remember that if the VTF is too much of a sub for the room now....the room can always get larger in the future...not the sub.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Current you can get HSU STF-2 for $347, Will it be up from BIC or not that worth for money?
post #8 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Matt34, personaly, I believe it it is pretty easy to overdo the "loudness" of sub bass, in the 80Hz to 120 Hz range, and thereby bury the rest of your sound..... but getting "really deep" and still staying clean is always a challenge.

So what I'm saying is, if money were no object, I might have one 8" sub, crossed over at 120 Hx or so (plenty loud)...... then four more Velodyne DD-18's crossed over at 40Hz (plenty deep and clean).

In any case, I will look at all of the choices you guys mentioned above. I love electronics research :-)

Thanks again,
Fish
post #9 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Personally, I would keep saving. I know that's not the fun thing to do, but once you get to $600-$700, then you open into a whole different world.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ya' see, this is all part of my plan :-) I did the same thing with my flat panel TV.... I kept analyzing, researching, and spending so much time talking about these TV's it was just rediculous ! I must have "decided" on 6 different sets in 3 months, but each time, I would have a new concern pop up. By the time I really was sure, I ended up having twice the cash to spend :-)
{but I got a VERY sweet TV !}

I kind of feel the same thing happening now. Maybe I'll end up with a half a dozen Velodyne DD18's :-) .....wait... do I hear my alarm clock ? :-)

Peace,
Fish
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page