Looking for Sub Suggestions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide on a subwoofer for my house's new home theater. The room size is 12x18x10 (2,160 CF) and the amp is a Yamaha RX-V2700 matched with (7) Proficient C870 speakers in the ceiling. The sub will go into the front r/h corner where I have about 30" x 24" of placement room. Given the configuration, I suspect I need something in the mid-size room level but am unsure which direction the sub "firing" should be and other details. I would prefer a solution in the $500-$700 price range, but willing to listen to ideas. Currently researching HSU and SVSound models. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-19-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 397
For that size room with your budget, I would recommend SVS's best bang for the buck, the PB10.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

For that size room with your budget, I would recommend SVS's best bang for the buck, the PB10.

Can't go wrong with that, although since they are within your budget, I'd consider stepping up to the SVS 20-39 PCi (okay, I like cylinders ) or it's box equivalent, the PB12 NSD. They offer a bit more performance, which might help stave off the upgrade bug for awhile.

At current pricing, the Hsu VTF-2 MK 3 would be hard to beat, too. Even the VTF-3 MK 3 is currently only about $25 over your range (delivered).

The direction a sub fires should not be a consideration. It's a factor for the designer, but not the end user. You have a lot of good choices a within your price range. All have advocates, but no one of them is the universal, hands down winner for everyone. You'll have to decide the trade-offs you are willing to make, but any one of the above will make you happy.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-21-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Macfan424 and mailiang:

Thanks for the comments. I think both of your suggestions are good ones. I do really like the pricing on the HSU VTF-3 MK 3 versus its performance characteristics. I am reading the other threads on this forum regarding SVS and HSU to help me decide. Thanks again.

Ed
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
The VTF-2 MK3 is very close, give or take, to the PB12-NSD, even though the 2.3 is only $30 more or so than the PB10 (very close to the VTF-3 MK2, which used to be $700 - this is what I own). So under $500, it's no contest - the VTF-2 MK3 easily outclasses the PB10. And the VTF-3 MK3 is even better than that, for $649.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page