? on how to run dual subwoofers with my Pioneer elite AV receiver..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have 2 Yamaha YST-SW315 subwoofers. I was using just one and it worked fine so I figured if one it good 2 is better. When I was just running 1 woofer I had a sub cable going from the receiver to a Y adapter which hooked to the subwoofer. It worked great. So now the proble with me trying to run 2 subs.

So now in order to accomodate both woofers. I have a Y adapter coming out of the receiver with a cable attached to each female end. Then I have another Y adapter that hooks into each subwoofer so as that both (L) and (R) are being used on both subs. I don't get any sound from either of them. I was told it is because the Ohms are dropped too low and my receiver now isn't able to transmit the signal. Is this true. Do I need to buy some kind of convertor box to accomodate this kind of setup? What is going on? I didn't know this would cause a problem, I thought all you were doing was splitting a signal.

OH yeah I have a VSX-81TXV Pioneer elite receiver. PLEASE HELP ME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 PM

Not sure if this is any help.... I have two JL audio subs. I used just single line from reciever to back of first sub (master) and then ran a line from the back of master to second sub (slave). I then can control both subs from the master. Did not use any Y splitters for left and right.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You should not have to connect both R and L on the subs, one should be enough. subs are mono, not stereo so no need to hook both L and R, read your sub manual and it might tell you which input to use. This way, you will only need one Y adapter. Also, you might have cancellation going on. If the subs are not in the same location, they will tend to cancel each other out. Try putting both in the same place and see if that works. I hope those subs have a phase feature if they are cancelling each other out.

Juan

My HT
Old 01-20-2007, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

So Slybasil, are you saying you had one cabel going to The (L) and were able to use the (R) as an out to the other sub? I am sorry, but I am new at this as you should be able to tell.
Cancelling, I don't think so. They are not working at all. It is as if there is no signal getting transfered to them.
Does anybody have a wiring diagram of how I should be able to make this work with the supplies I already have on hand. I have (1) monster cable THX AI-YM and I have (2) Monster Cable THX AI-YF. I am also using matching subwoofer cables model#THX I100SW-16.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Use the Splitter as close to one sub as possible and only use the (L) input on each sub (mono) . You cannot chain from one sub to the other since that model does not have line out .

--- Jason
Old 01-20-2007, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

So basically what you are saying is, to run the sub cable out of the receiver then run it into a Y adaptor which plugs into the sub. Then from the adaptor plugged into the (L) port on the 1st sub run another cable to the (L) port on the 2nd sub?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

When I first got 2 subs I had the Y adaptor at the Pre/pro and then ran one side to each sub. Both subs were/are maybe 5ft away on either side. How about a Velo SMS?? 1 input and 3 outputs....works very well...just a thought.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro!!
Old 01-20-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

So what you are saying is to run each sub in mono and it should work? Why would that be the determining factor of them working? I have no clue what technical difference is between running mono or using both (L) and (R), but I would like to know.
Is the reason they aren't working now because the signal is being split too many times before it reaches each sub? Because right now I am using 3 Y adaptors, 1 at the receiver, and 1 into each sub. I guess I will try to hook them up mono by removing the Y adapter behind each sub. Thanks for all your help, however more would be appreciated as well.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrepower View Post

So what you are saying is to run each sub in mono and it should work? Why would that be the determining factor of them working? I have no clue what technical difference is between running mono or using both (L) and (R), but I would like to know.
Is the reason they aren't working now because the signal is being split too many times before it reaches each sub? Because right now I am using 3 Y adaptors, 1 at the receiver, and 1 into each sub. I guess I will try to hook them up mono by removing the Y adapter behind each sub. Thanks for all your help, however more would be appreciated as well.

It could be that the signal is being split too many times, but for sure, you do not need to connect the L and R. Bass is mono, so the signal going to L and R are the same, that is why you don't have to have both of them hooked up. Mono will work just fine.

Juan

My HT
Old 01-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:

So Slybasil, are you saying you had one cabel going to The (L) and were able to use the (R) as an out to the other sub? I am sorry, but I am new at this as you should be able to tell.
Cancelling, I don't think so. They are not working at all. It is as if there is no signal getting transfered to them.
Does anybody have a wiring diagram of how I should be able to make this work with the supplies I already have on hand. I have (1) monster cable THX AI-YM and I have (2) Monster Cable THX AI-YF. I am also using matching subwoofer cables model#THX I100SW-16.

My sub has connectors for in and different connectors for out. The "sub out" are not the same connectors used for left and right. I can daisy chain my subs but you might not be able to on yours.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Now when I try to hook up my sub the way it was before with just the cable and a Y adaptor in the sub, it won't work anymore. I think I am just going to have to call Pioneer customer service on Monday. There must be a setting that was disrupted, either that or I broke something, which I dont think is the case. When I find out the answer from Pioneer I will post what I found out. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

I have splitters up the ying yang on my 5 subs and both my old Harman Kardon AVR500 and my new Denon 2307CI have no issue driving the various subs. See if your LFE channel is active. And make sure your source is 5.1, and has some content for the subs to produce.

Jerry the HT Nut
Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Hyrepower, once you get both subs working and wish to get them in properly blended with the fronts and in phase, try this trick if you have an adjustable phase control on the sub(s):

- Reverse the speaker leads of only ONE front speaker. Play something with sufficient bass while adjusting the phase control with only one sub on at a time until the bass is the weakest (out of phase). Now when you reverse the front speaker lead back to it's proper place, the fronts and the sub will now be in perfect phase. Repeat with the other sub only on.

This will work with two subs, I believe, as long as they are stacked on top or beside each other.

Recent research by The Harman Group indicates that 2 subs may work best in a room when placed in the middle of opposite walls (front and back or left and right). This arrangement helps even out the nulls and peaks of room modes. A complex ($2000) software program is due to be released this year to balance bass response in a room with up to four subs.

I'm not sure how to manually get them in phase with the fronts but out of phase with each other when positioned at either sides or ends of a room when the mains are near the front wall. If the subs are set out of phase with each other only one of the them will be in phase with the fronts. Perhaps a compromising blend can be reached thru trial and error. Guess that's why a computer is needed to make it quick and easy for a range of bass frequencys.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Omega. I recently have gotten it to work, even after using all 3 Y adaptors. I do need to get them in phase with one another. I also need to hang up my 2 new surround speakers. I went from a 5.1 to a 7.2 setup. It is going to be a pain to get it all set up properly. I hope the auto setup under MCACC can get it close, but I don't know if it will recognize there being 2 subs.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Omega. I recently have gotten it to work, even after using all 3 Y adaptors. I do need to get them in phase with one another. I also need to hang up my 2 new surround speakers. I went from a 5.1 to a 7.2 setup. It is going to be a pain to get it all set up properly. I hope the auto setup under MCACC can get it close, but I don't know if it will recognize there being 2 subs.

I have an Elite receiver with the MCACC and two (dual SVS CS+'s) subs, and the MCACC got them calibrated right on, distance and output. My subs are in the same corner though.

Juan

My HT
Old 01-22-2007, 07:38 PM

If you are not satisfied with the "Normal" MCACC auto set up, try running the "Expert" or "Pro" MCACC routines. I don't know off hand of any multiple sub settings in the normal MCACC set up in the Pioneer, but perhaps in the expert or pro menus.

The 84TXi, and maybe the 82TXi, allows, in the expert MCACC i think, an ability the take an average EQ across three different microphone placements. Perhaps that will help strike a balance with bass level if you separate the subs. I can't see this helping with phase correction though. Although there is the Phase Control feature in your receiver which is performed during the MCACC set up, perhaps it will compensate somewhat.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM

As far as I can figure at this point, for a simple two sub set up it seems that placing one sub at the front wall position with the main speakers (with a minor adjustment to match phase) and the second sub at the back wall (approx. 180 degrees out of phase) would work reasonably well. It's the side wall set up and getting those two subs to cancel each other's peaks and null zones along with properly blending them with the front mains that seems tricky to me.

NHT sells a cross over in their "Evolution" series called the X2 (see nhthifi web site) to allow extensive control of main/sub(s) phase angle, level, low and high pass filter crossover frequency, boundary reinforcement, LFE level, and more. The settings are done manually by ear. Home Entertainment magazine (hedmag site)did a review of NHT's U2 passive sealed subs with the accompanying A1 power amps and X1 crossover. The reviewer said this combo produced the best frequency response curve of ANY (100+) subs he ever tested, not to mention the quality of the sound. The flexibility of the X1 crossover was important in dialing in the bass response to the mains and the room.