Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2009, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

IIRC, I was told that SubEQ will loop the sub chirps back to MultEQ XT making it think the sub's response it perfect causing MultEQ XT to set no filters for that channel. After completing Audyssey setup, SubEQ setup is run.

You will need a Windows PC to set up SubEQ.

That calibration process sounds very convenient, and I'd be able to borrow a laptop if I decided to purchase the AS-EQ1. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Being flattenable and actually flattening it isn't the same.

Quote:

You know how parametric equalizers work. You can either optimize 1 seat or compromise many seats. Now what do you think its actually doing?

I understand.

The description had me thinking of some magical device that would provide every portion of the room an equal, flat response accross the board (with different overall decibel levels based on proximity). Thus, I was confused and asked..."Really?"

Thanks,

-AEguy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Being flattenable and actually flattening it isn't the same.

You know how parametric equalizers work. You can either optimize 1 seat or compromise many seats. Now what do you think its actually doing?

Something different, and more crude, than what this will do. Audyssey technology is to a PEQ (or even something like a BFD) as to what 3D chess is to checkers.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM

Liked: 10
I'm really sitting on the fence about this item. I have a SVS Pb-12plus in a very small room, under 1500cubic.
I just don't know, I wouldn't want to buy it, run it, and then be like what the hell, I can't hear a difference. Or even if I did hear a small difference is it worth the dough? $699 US is $870 for a Canadian like me plus shipping, taxes and duty. I'm not hurting for money(knock on wood) but at the same time for that amount of cash I would want a slap in the face difference.
I think it's very possible that SVS could be talking this unit up beyond expectations. From everything that I've read about it I most certainly expect that jaw dropping difference the first time I run it. Will I get that? I don't know.
I'll have to email sonicboom here in Ontario to get their price, but in the meantime I think I'll stay here on the fence.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Why not try it and return it if not satisfied?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Yeah, that's my best option.
Maybe it's just in my head, but I've been anticipating it for awhile and even telling friends how cool it's going to be.
I just now have this feeling that it won't be what I expect.
I can't be the only one out there that thinks this.
But your right I could try it and return it if it didn't meet expectations.
That's the only way to be sure.
Remember for me this thing will be really close to a grand. I have the extra cash, but I'm cheap.
There I said it.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr View Post

I'm really sitting on the fence about this item. I have a SVS Pb-12plus in a very small room, under 1500cubic.
I just don't know, I wouldn't want to buy it, run it, and then be like what the hell, I can't hear a difference. Or even if I did hear a small difference is it worth the dough? $699 US is $870 for a Canadian like me plus shipping, taxes and duty. I'm not hurting for money(knock on wood) but at the same time for that amount of cash I would want a slap in the face difference.
I think it's very possible that SVS could be talking this unit up beyond expectations. From everything that I've read about it I most certainly expect that jaw dropping difference the first time I run it. Will I get that? I don't know.
I'll have to email sonicboom here in Ontario to get their price, but in the meantime I think I'll stay here on the fence.

a way to find out is to measure your room with REW (room eq wizard) depending on how crappy your room response is - that's how much it would be worth to you.

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmtbr View Post

I would assume that the SVS 45-day money back guarantee applies to the AS-EQ1.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

a way to find out is to measure your room with REW (room eq wizard) depending on how crappy your room response is - that's how much it would be worth to you.

Yeah I'll do a seach on REW topics, that's something for me to look into.
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I am somewhat in the cheap category too, especially in light of the current economic conditions.

However, I suppose I will have to order and try.

I am confident it will kick butt when compared to other solutions. Everything SVS puts their name on does. Now, whether it is worth $XXX to you is another story. No doubt, there are cheaper solutions from which comparable results can be had. However, I don't know of anything that can handle two subs and do it with that degree of automation.

My only initial concern is the 0-20 Hz response. I am very curious as to whether one can set the cutoff frequency and just how low it can be set. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be at least 15Hz based on the response of SVS subs.

Another huge plus is the upgrade-ability via software updates.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

good point on the cutoff frequency, i forgot to ask about that. but IMO there shouldn't be ANY cutoff at all.

for me the auto-phase settings is worth the price of admission ... but i will have to simplify my setup to just two subwoofer locations

Mike C
MKC International
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

good point on the cutoff frequency, i forgot to ask about that. but IMO there shouldn't be ANY cutoff at all.

for me the auto-phase settings is worth the price of admission ... but i will have to simplify my setup to just two subwoofer locations

I agree. I am assuming that there would have to be some adjustability to it. If not, less capable subs would be shredded if they tried to stay flat to 15Hz or below. For my purposes none would be great.

Maybe Ed can chime in there on that one.

Yes, the combo time/freq domain correction is sweet to say the least and a long time in coming. But, I am sort of disappointed that they would go to all the trouble and not at least offer another model or upgrade that can handle 3 or 4 channels. I would guess that two would cover 90+% of the setups well enough, but it would be bonus for some to have more.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I was also hoping they would have kept the small display screen from that of the prototype.

Despite the cool factor, additional info, status or settings could have been displayed.

Also, it would have been nice to have XLR in/outs beside the RCAs. That would have been an uber cheap addition and is almost inexcusable at this point in HT evolution.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

As I nitpick the thing to death I am also not a big fan of the external power supply deal.

I think they would have been better served having a standard power cord.

It might even result in some more potential cases of ground looping.

Of course, I am still going to order one and no product is perfect.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I was also hoping they would have kept the small display screen from that of the prototype.

Despite the cool factor, additional info, status or settings could have been displayed.

As a user of the similar AudysseyPro software, I can say that there's no need for anything on the unit except to indicate that it is working. All adjustments require the PC, so that's also where all the info is.

Quote:

Also, it would have been nice to have XLR in/outs beside the RCAs. That would have been an uber cheap addition and is almost inexcusable at this point in HT evolution.

Agreed.

Quote:

As I nitpick the thing to death I am also not a big fan of the external power supply deal.

I think they would have been better served having a standard power cord.

It might even result in some more potential cases of ground looping.

Of course, I am still going to order one and no product is perfect.

I think the reason for the ubiquitous wall wart is that the wart comes as an OEM part with UL approval built in and inboarding the PS would require safety testing/approval. Saves time and money.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I think the reason for the ubiquitous wall wart is that the wart comes as an OEM part with UL approval built in and inboarding the PS would require safety testing/approval. Saves time and money.

Ya, I assumed that as well. But, kind of cheesy in my opinion. Although, many products of this type are the in the same boat.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a user of the similar AudysseyPro software, I can say that there's no need for anything on the unit except to indicate that it is working. All adjustments require the PC, so that's also where all the info is.

Yes, It sure did look more impressive in its original form though.

The prototype had the more professional look. The production model looks like what it is, a piece of consumer gear.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I will ask another novice question here. Why the 2 inputs on the unit? Am I correct that you would just run an RCA cable from your AVR's sub pre-out jack to one of the sub ins, and then use both sub outs if you were running duals? Now I could be proven wrong but do any AVR's even have 2 sub pre outs? I just bought a new receiver and I only have 1. Anyway I am guessing you just choose the sub A jack, or sub B, it really shouldn't matter should it? I suppose you could connect with a y-splitter but would you gain anything by it? I have read using a y-splitter at the sub LFE inputs can gain you some db but would you gain anything at the EQ?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Some receivers do actually have a .2 output.

Some are actually using true stereo subs so the program material could/would be different for each channel.

But, in most cases yes, you would just us the Y for a typical HT setup.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed.

Kal,

I have heard that it is overkill to have this and Audyssey Pro in the same system. What is your thought?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

My only initial concern is the 0-20 Hz response. I am very curious as to whether one can set the cutoff frequency and just how low it can be set. I can't imagine that it wouldn't be at least 15Hz based on the response of SVS subs.

Another huge plus is the upgrade-ability via software updates.

I wouldn't worry about how low this unit will go.... I highly doubt that they didn't take into consideration the fact that many people out there are running large subs in small rooms and the output would have the ability to go down to the single digits.....

Ed stated flat out that the software would figure out exactly where the knee was and adjust itself to it... why would they limit it to 15hz where flat to 10 or less is easily possible.

Even SVS's Ultra 13 is tunable to 10hz....

My concern is whether it would offer a boost to sealed sub that doesn't have an automatic EQ boost built in... Ed, could you chime in on this?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

Kal,

I have heard that it is overkill to have this and Audyssey Pro in the same system. What is your thought?

This has also already been addressed.... one would EQ the subs first with the SVS EQ and it will ping the Audessy telling it that it is already perfect. just like this....
Quote:

IIRC, I was told that SubEQ will loop the sub chirps back to MultEQ XT making it think the sub's response it perfect causing MultEQ XT to set no filters for that channel. After completing Audyssey setup, SubEQ setup is run.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

This has also already been addressed.... one would EQ the subs first with the SVS EQ and it will ping the Audessy telling it that it is already perfect. just like this....

I understand it will work, but would it be worth it?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree. I am assuming that there would have to be some adjustability to it. If not, less capable subs would be shredded if they tried to stay flat to 15Hz or below. For my purposes none would be great.

Maybe Ed can chime in there on that one.

i'm not Ed, but when the EQ1 was demo'ed - Ed used a PC12Plus tuned to 20hz. the EQ1 detected the 20hz knee like warpdrv said ... and applied no boost.

Mike C
MKC International
Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Some receivers do actually have a .2 output.

I'm not aware of any receivers or processors with .2 LFE outputs (making use of two LFE tracks). I know some receivers have two subwoofer outputs but that isn't the same thing.

Regards,
Old 02-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Ya can't just wire XLR connectors to a single-ended circuit and good quality - e.g. Jensen - baluns transformers add perhaps $20-$30 per channel.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I understand it will work, but would it be worth it?

With two subs, I have no doubt that it is.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Kal,

Dunno. When I get my hands on the unit, I will find out. The issues I know of are:
1. Does the SVS do a better job in the bass than the SEQ? (Mebbe)
2. Will the SVS do a better job with multiple subs? (Likely)
3. Will use of the SVS let the SEQ do a better job above the bass? (Unlikely)

Any others?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 02-11-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten View Post

I'm not aware of any receivers or processors with .2 LFE outputs (making use of two LFE tracks). I know some receivers have two subwoofer outputs but that isn't the same thing.

Regards,

Check the Yamaha line and upcoming HK products...

There is no seperate LFE tracks, like there really isn't much 7.1 data either. But, the two sub outputs can be setup independently, hence the .2... no different than setting the other channels, ala crossovers, levels ,etc.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Ya can't just wire XLR connectors to a single-ended circuit and good quality - e.g. Jensen - baluns transformers add perhaps $20-$30 per channel.

Of course, you could just do a lot of things.

But, for a product of this caliber and price not to have $2 worth of XLR connectors is a bit on the ridiculous side, especially when most of the SVS plate amps even have XLR connectors.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:

But, for a product of this caliber and price not to have $2 worth of XLR connectors is a bit on the ridiculous side, especially when most of the SVS plate amps even have XLR connectors.

I agree but it is what it is so can anyone recommend some 2 channel unbalanced to balanced converters that have suitable low frequency capabilities?