SVS AS-EQ1 Thoughts... - Page 210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6271 of 6283 Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
When you do the gain match with the speaker & sub you should have MCACC turned off and run the sat input into your multi channel input and turn the AVR up to 0 this should then be putting out 75db to do the level matching with the sub if I remember correctly,

You the run the eq measurements & take note of trim & distance settings. save it then run MCACC measurement with it passing through the eq1 with the software at the place you mentioned. This should passthrough a signal to MCACC so it thinks the sub doesn't need to be altered, you should notice when it is pinging the speakers that you won't have sound come from the sub, if you are then it's wrong. Once MCACC is complete exit the Eq1 software unplug the mic & sat cables, go into MCACC and make your sub changes to the eq distance & trim

Then give it a go, if not enough impact you could look at upping the trim a few db

Also did you always have the sub in this location or has it been moved to the centre as part of your new setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6283 Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Same position, but no EQ prior to installing the AE-EQ1. I called SVS and spoke at length to Doug. Me advised me to set my sub back to 75dB using the level match screen from the EQ1 interface, re-run MCACC and note the trim and distance levels from the previous settings and see how that sounds (WITHOUT the EQ assist, just over the top of the newly EQd sub). If it is still not "enough" impact bass, bump the sub 3dB and give it the movie check again. We both suspect that I had been 1) running hot on the PC13-Ultra and 2) had a peak between 40-80hz in my primary listening position that isn't there now. He also suggested to turn the filtering off and see if it "sounds" right without the EQ1.

We will see again tonight. I know what the sub is capable of and although I want even, flat response... I can't leave it alone and be satisfied short of an explosion sounding like an explosion! smile.gif
post #6273 of 6283 Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM

Yep sounds like good advice from Doug
post #6274 of 6283 Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did as Doug suggested and ran MCACC over top the EQ1 after resetting the sub back to 0 (75dB). The distances were almost dead on the same after wards, but the trim levels on ALL channels were all raised higher by 4-5dB. I fired up the level match screen again on SUB EQ and the sub showed 0. After listening to a section of the movie, I raised the gain on the sub itself by 3 dB per Doug's recommendations. Went back the the level match screen to verify and it showed the SAT at +3.5 and the SUB A at +3.6. So, hot but level matched.

Here's where it gets real weird.... The MV level for my normal watching volume used to be about -14. Now its the same or at about -12. BUT the sub was working the room! Heavy footsteps had a distinct THUD and the explosions rumbled.

Just for curiosity sake, I turned the filter off and listed to the same scene, There is a definite crispness to the thuds with the AS-EQ1 on and the room doesn't have the very noticeable hot spots or nulls.

So although it took forever to get it right (I blame the terrible instructions) my theater is now calibrated!!! Now if I could figure out how I screwed up REW so I could snap some waterfalls from the sweeps.

post #6275 of 6283 Old 01-14-2014, 10:57 PM

Great, glad it worked out
post #6276 of 6283 Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I may want to sell my AS-EQ1. Any ideas on what they are selling for used? eBay is not helpful about this unit.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #6277 of 6283 Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked: 882
There is one listed here on AVS for sale right now.
post #6278 of 6283 Old 01-26-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 99
My SVS AS-EQ1 is up for sale now in the Classified Forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1514257/svs-as-eq1-sub-equalizer-room-correction-system/0_50#post_24268499

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #6279 of 6283 Old 01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Seen a few going on UK site too, I guess more flexible than antimode and you can see what problems you have in the room? I may look out for one, useful as alternative to REW and fiddling around for hours on a computer.

Got three systems

one has anti-mode 8033 Cinema with subwoofer 2 channel PEQ
Another one has 1 channel PEQ but disabled it need to measure first
Third has no EQ of any kind

So seems good idea to buy one, plot response of all three (1st one with antimode disabled and enabled) second one see what frequency is worst use subs own EQ, then third see if anti-mode or EQ1 is worth having. Renting this or even SMS-1 good way of having a graph of sub inroom response, altered and unaltered

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6280 of 6283 Old 01-26-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Seen a few going on UK site too, I guess more flexible than antimode and you can see what problems you have in the room? I may look out for one, useful as alternative to REW and fiddling around for hours on a computer.

Got three systems

one has anti-mode 8033 Cinema with subwoofer 2 channel PEQ
Another one has 1 channel PEQ but disabled it need to measure first
Third has no EQ of any kind

So seems good idea to buy one, plot response of all three (1st one with antimode disabled and enabled) second one see what frequency is worst use subs own EQ, then third see if anti-mode or EQ1 is worth having. Renting this or even SMS-1 good way of having a graph of sub inroom response, altered and unaltered

While the AS-EQ1 does produce what is called a "certificate", which is a set of before and after graphs, they are really not a replacement for a full-featured measurement system like REW.  For example, the "after" graph is an interpolation of what the room should sound like after the calibration--it is not an actual measurement.  And the graphs are at 1/6 smoothing, which masks issues with bass response.

Having said that, I have owned an AS-EQ1, and it is by far the best add-on to manage bass response, especially if you have more than one sub, and are using an AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT.

And finally, I have also owned the SMS-1 as well, which was replaced by the AS-EQ1.  There is a night-and-day difference in performance in the bass region, the AS-EQ1 being the far better investment.

pbarach likes this.
post #6281 of 6283 Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Bought a used AS-EQ1 and is using it using Oppo 105 hookup directly with poweramp. There is no way I can do a level matching with the center/ front (sat) and the two subwoofer. Will that affect the accuracy of the calibration?
post #6282 of 6283 Old 11-05-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I will not affect the accuracy of the filters created by the AS-EQ1. However, after you run the calibration, you need to balance the levels of the subs with the levels of the mains. You could do this by playing speaker level-setting test tones from the Oppo and adjusting the levels so they match (assuming the Oppo has per-channel trim adjustments).
post #6283 of 6283 Old 11-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
I will not affect the accuracy of the filters created by the AS-EQ1. However, after you run the calibration, you need to balance the levels of the subs with the levels of the mains. You could do this by playing speaker level-setting test tones from the Oppo and adjusting the levels so they match (assuming the Oppo has per-channel trim adjustments).
Thanks for the input! That exactly the reason I raised that question. After calibration, I have to max out the subwoofer trim, +10dB, on the Oppo105 to get the matching up with the rest of the system. On my SVS SB-13 Ultra, the volume is at - 4 dB!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page